Taking a beating in the stock market

The coronavirus made it happen sooner than later, fortunately we are more than 10 years from retirement. However, if DH didn’t take a more conservative route with Dd17 and ds17’s 529’s like I asked him to a couple of months ago I’m going to kill him (he’s a CFP but more optimistic than I am, even though we all knew all good things have to end).

The S&P 500 closed on October 14 of last year at a lower level than today. So stocks are still higher than they were a little over 4 months ago. Lots of doom and gloom in the media but stocks are a long term investment and these kinds of fluctuation happen sometimes.

It’s still much higher than it was five years ago so we are thankful. Once warmer weather is here and warmer weather kills off the virus all will be fine. Between media hype and all our products being made in China it is totally expected. Cases are actually down now in China so people need to relax. I heard Peloton stock is up due to people staying home to work out lol. Great time to buy!

PERSPECTIVE:
Dow Jones Industrial Average Closed on February 26, 2016 at 16,639.
Dow Jones Industrial Average Closed on February 27, 2020 at 25,761.
Up over 9,000 points.
Yes, I took a big hit this week, but I still made more in that time period in the stock market than I did working.

CDC website is a good/reputable place to look for disease information. That is where to find factual information instead of random opinions/hunches, etc.

Q: Will warm weather stop the outbreak of COVID-19?

A: It is not yet known whether weather and temperature impact the spread of COVID-19. Some other viruses, like the common cold and flu, spread more during cold weather months but that does not mean it is impossible to become sick with these viruses during other months. At this time, it is not known whether the spread of COVID-19 will decrease when weather becomes warmer. There is much more to learn about the transmissibility, severity, and other features associated with COVID-19 and investigations are ongoing.

Don't weigh yourself everyday. Don't look at your portfolio everyday.

DH was pretty down about our losses when I got home from (a terrible day at) work on Tuesday. I told him it doesn't really matter what our portfolio looks like now. It's going to go up and down many more times in the next 25 years before we start looking to cash some out.

The only time our portfolio really matters is when we're looking to retire and start withdrawing. Hopefully, the overall trend is upwards, but the numbers are going to fluctuate a lot between now and then. We just have to hold tight and not panic-sell anything.

It's like watching a basketball game - doesn't matter what the score is at halftime. Only matters what the score is at the final buzzer.

It’s still much higher than it was five years ago so we are thankful. Once warmer weather is here and warmer weather kills off the virus all will be fine. Between media hype and all our products being made in China it is totally expected. Cases are actually down now in China so people need to relax. I heard Peloton stock is up due to people staying home to work out lol. Great time to buy!

Agreed. Warm weather will take care of it. I wonder how the Peloton woman is doing?

That's why I shaved profits for my trust when it hit ~35% gain. Brought it back down to my cost basis and I'm sure that today it is below that. I agree with some posters that it is nearing a good buying opportunity for the longers.

That's why I shaved profits for my trust when it hit ~35% gain. Brought it back down to my cost basis and I'm sure that today it is below that. I agree with some posters that it is nearing a good buying opportunity for the longers.
Yup. After splits, my cost basis for Disney stock is $9.16 a share. Current quote is $115.

My 401K contribution and the company match will be buying me a lot cheaper shares for a while.....it's painful watching now but watching the comeback will be cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter