Taking a beating in the stock market

The only time you lose is when you sell. So far paper losses just like paper gains.

The money is actually gone. If you don't need the money right away then it's less concerning, but some people are living off their investments. My MIL has part of her retirement in stocks which we manager for her, and they have gone way down. The way I see it we need to start cutting back right away so we don't have to pull much out in the short term.

The money is actually gone. If you don't need the money right away then it's less concerning, but some people are living off their investments. My MIL has part of her retirement in stocks which we manager for her, and they have gone way down. The way I see it we need to start cutting back right away so we don't have to pull much out in the short term.
I totally disagree with you. The units in your account are just valued at a lesser amount. If you leave it as is it will fluctuate daily. When you do cash in based on what you started with will either go up or down. But right now it's paper losses .

I'm sorry you're experiencing so much concern as your MIL is living off the investments. But at it's root always remember the money is gone the instant you buy an asset. At that point you own an asset, not cash.

It will eventually. But it’s not even cheap at these levels.

I'll agree with you. I wouldn't buy yet.

And if anyone is living off stock - you shouldn't live off stock unless you can afford to lose 70% of it and still be comfortable - for future reference, stock is for "money I will need in five years or more - or more like ten years or more" - there are other investment options for "I am going to need to live off of this"

I have zero knowledge of buying stock and I'm considering buying Disney stock while the price is down. I have a brokerage account through Chase, but I hear buying stock through your bank is never a good idea. So I dunno where to start or what to do.

Anyone wanna give me some pointers? :flower3:
Vanguard,Fidelity..not thur a bank...mutual funds are better than one stock...or S&P 500...

Nearing retirement..say 4-5 yrs out..a person should be moving into safer secure investments...bonds, even CD's although they werent paying much and even less now...that would leave part of the investments growing or giving a person time to re coup over some years..in a downturn like now..

It will eventually. But it’s not even cheap at these levels.
You do realize that people much smarter than any of us at DisBoards have no clue when the right time is to buy and sell. I continue to buy and plow 25% of my earnings into the stock market every month. I have no ability to call the bottom and figure out when the exact right time to buy is.

Nearing retirement..say 4-5 yrs out..a person should be moving into safer secure investments...bonds, even CD's although they werent paying much and even less now...that would leave part of the investments growing or giving a person time to re coup over some years..in a downturn like now..

The question for me is though are bonds really safer than stocks? I am still trying to figure out who is buying Greek Government Bonds at 1% interest. I mean who loans money to a deadbeat that you know is going to default and only get 1% interest for that? I think those bonds are very risky. At least with US bonds you know you will probably get repaid but even then they might have to print money to do so.

You do realize that people much smarter than any of us at DisBoards have no clue when the right time is to buy and sell. I continue to buy and plow 25% of my earnings into the stock market every month. I have no ability to call the bottom and figure out when the exact right time to buy is.

The people smarter than us make money via AUM, not performance.

The people smarter than us make money via AUM, not performance.

Agreed. Why would anyone pay someone 1% to manage their money? The added value is closer to 0.1% but somehow they are smart enough to convince people their services are worth 1%.

Agreed. Why would anyone pay someone 1% to manage their money? The added value is closer to 0.1% but somehow they are smart enough to convince people their services are worth 1%.

They're great sales people. Wall Street makes its money from fees.

I’m out. I’ll get back in when it’s a lot cheaper.
I'll ask you the same question I asked someone who said the same earlier in this thread - how can you possibly time your re-entry, how do you pick the bottom just right and if you miss it when do you re-enter? What if it never reaches your supposed "cheaper level" and you never get back in. Then your left sitting on the sidelines earning 0.7% 0.5% on a stink'en 10 year t-bill, while the market continues up.

So... I noticed the energy sector is down 50%...
I immediately put my extra pennies into XOM and HES. These are behemoth companies not going out of business.
🤞
Buy low, sell high

This really has me worried as I retired 3 years ago at61. Company was bought out got a nice severance package so were still a few years away from having to take a certain amount out each month. Just trying to figure out how this is going to affect our accounts Also each year we have to invest money since I’m still on Obama care only till July and since both of us are still working very limited hrs we have to lower our taxable income. Tying to decide how much to invest since we have to earn what we invested It makes no sense just because we decided to stay busy and work we have to make what we invested it has to be earned income so SS doesn’t count or my DH pension. So we try to pace it out but sometimes the hrs just aren’t there. If we didn’t work we wouldn’t have to worry so we feel we’re getting penalized for working Not what I call retirement. Sorry for the vent. Just crazy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter