Taking A First Timer To Walt Disney World! Dec. 29, 2017-Jan. 6, 2018! *COMPLETED 4/8/18*

I tried for weeks to warn my friend how busy the first 3 days were going to be, and that there would be a lot of walking. I guess I just didn’t prepare him enough to actually know how much walking there would be.

I've had that happen with me before- tried to warn a friend to wear very comfy shoes and start doing some walking before the trip to get used to it. They didn't listen and it hurt! Seems like something you just have to experience to really understand.

Excited to see the rest of your report- especially NYE!

Understandble. Maybe she just handles speaking in front of crowds differently?

That could be. I still enjoyed the performance. My friend and I were kinda stuck since this was the only evening we could see the show.

Great 1st day! I am really excited to read about a 1st timers trip to WDW! :bounce:
I will try my best to give his insight.

Looks fun! Love all the decorations! CP looks wonderful I hope to see it in the next year or two.
CP is definitely a great performance. Make sure you do your planning, because the narrator might depend if you need to try for a CP Dining Package or not. My friend and I were lucky to get a narrator that wasn't to popular, so the stand-by queue was never long at all.

I've had that happen with me before- tried to warn a friend to wear very comfy shoes and start doing some walking before the trip to get used to it. They didn't listen and it hurt! Seems like something you just have to experience to really understand.

Excited to see the rest of your report- especially NYE!
I can't wait to show all of you my NYE updates! :) The best firework shows ever. :D

Random comment..... :)

I've never taken the Magical Express bus, or seen the video. But, I believe that is Steven Miller in the video. I always read his blog:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/author/steven-miller/
We met him years ago at several Epcot pin events, when he was in charge of pins! What a nice guy, always fun to talk to.
I can't comment on who that is, but they show several Disney Parks Blog videos and many travel tips on your way to WDW on the bus. So, it possibly could be.

It was time for our adventure to three Walt Disney World parks in one day to begin
Wow, you don't hold back. LOL.

Satuli Canteen is easily my favorite quick service restaurant on Walt Disney World property.
I agree. It's amazing and the theme is awesome. It's a nice, fresh-feeling meal. A good break from heavy park food.

We would arrive at the Yacht Club, and I totally forgot about the Christmas Village that they have in the lobby.
What a nice bonus of entering Epcot that way!
I really don’t like the Walt Disney World version of Fantasmic. It is really dated, and it is desperately in need of an update.
People always say this, but I love Fantasmic. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.
Here are a couple of pictures of Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular:
I never got to see this show on my last trip because it always coincided with the Fantasmic showing. And I love Fantasmic, so I chose to watch it twice instead, lol.

Sorry! I’ve been trying to get ahead of my trip report by getting several updates written. Life has also been busy. I hope to get my next updates posted in the next day or so.

No prob! Your reports are filled with details (that we love!) and I know a whole lot goes into it.

Day 2: Day Before New Years Eve! - Part 1!

Welcome to day 2 of our amazing trip to Walt Disney World! I was really looking forward to this day a lot. That is because we were going to the Magic Kingdom, and the Magic Kingdom does their New Years Eve fireworks show on December 30th. So, I was going to get some 360 degree fireworks this evening.

I convinced my friend to wake up early, because I knew the traffic going to the Magic Kingdom would be crazy if we waited until later. So, we were off to Magic Kingdom bright and early for Extra Magic Hours!

We would arrive to the Magic Kingdom about 5 minutes after Extra Magic Hours started.

My friends first view of Cinderella’s Castle and the lights were still on.

We would get a picture of Cinderella’s Castle in the background as we walked down Main Street.

We arrived a little later than I was wanting to so Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was already an hour wait. So, we made our way to Peter Pan which was pretty much a walk-on.

The next ride we would go on during Extra Magic Hours is Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin!

We would then make our way to the front of the park where we would get a spot to see the ceremony that opens the Magic Kingdom for the day.

As we waited, we would get a picture with the Partner Statue and Cinderella’s Castle in the background.

It was time to open the Magic Kingdom!!!

The Magic Kingdom was open!!!

My friend and I would make our way down Main Street where we would get a picture with Talking Mickey Mouse!

Mickey would do his “Haunted Mansion” talk. My friend was really confused, because he hadn’t been on that attraction yet. However, this was my friends first picture with Mickey.

After getting our picture with Talking Mickey, we made our way to the Jingle Cruise!

I really liked some of the Christmas decorations in the queue.

My friend wasn’t necessarily a huge fan of the Jingle Cruise. He isn’t a fan of that type of humor.

Our next ride was Splash Mountain! Now it was a little cold, but I made sure to sit a little further back.

After Splash Mountain, we would make our way to the Haunted Mansion!

We would then make our way back to Tomorrowland where we would use our 1st fastpass of the day for Space Mountain.

Space Mountain would eventually be my friends favorite ride at Walt Disney World. I still can’t understand why, but each person has a different opinion. My friend really likes thrill rides, so I figured he would gravitate more towards the thrill attractions than the classic attractions. He was really excited to ride the classic attractions as well. He just doesn’t necessarily like riding rides where the point is to look at things.

Our 2nd fastpass of the day was for Big Thunder Railroad. This is my favorite ride at Walt Disney World that is shared between both Disneyland and Walt Disney World, and my friend took full advantage of the opportunity to squish me during the ride.

After riding Big Thunder Railroad, it was time to get a spot for the first Mickey’s Once Upon A Christmastime Parade of the day!

We would get a spot for the parade in Frontierland and there was plenty of spots still open along the rope about 40 minutes before the parade.

Before the parade came down the parade route, there were photographers taking pictures with a “Happy New Year” sign so my friend and I had to get one. :)

It was time for the parade!!!

Last edited:
Day 2: Mickey’s Once Upon A Christmastime Parade!

It was time for Mickey’s Once Upon A Christmastime Parade! Something strange happened for this parade though. The parade was scheduled to step-off at 12 p.m. However, the parade started 15 minutes early at 11:45 a.m. I wasn’t necessarily complaining, because I was happy to have an extra 15 minutes to tour the park. I think anyone that was going to get a spot closer to noon might be a little upset since the parade didn’t start at the “listed” time.

Mickey’s Once Upon A Christmastime Parade is one of my favorite Disney parades. I usually like the Christmas parades a lot and this performance of the parade might have made this my favorite parade at Walt Disney World.

Here are some pictures of the parade:

I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

I would really like to attend Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party at some point to enjoy this parade in the evening.

We were then off to get some lunch at my favorite quick service location in the Magic Kingdom!

VIDEO - Mickey’s Once Upon A Christmastime Parade - Toy Soldiers!

My favorite part of any Disney Christmas Parade is the toy soldiers. As a musician, I always enjoy the trumpet players and the percussionists. So, here is a video of this part of the parade.

Watch my video in HD.

Mickey’s Once Upon A Christmastime Parade: Toy Soldiers!

I hope you enjoyed the video!

Day 2: Day Before New Years Eve - Part 2!

It was time for my friend and I to get some lunch. We would make our way to Columbia Harbor House where I would get a really delicious salmon.

After eating, my friend and I would make our way to our 3rd fastpass of the day. That attraction was Pirates of the Caribbean! My friend was really excited to ride this ride, and this would end up being his favorite classic attractions at Walt Disney World.

The crowds were finally starting to effect the lines at the Magic Kingdom so it was time to enjoy some of the sit down shows.

So, the next thing we went to go see was the Enchanted Tiki Room! Now my friend knows where the “catchy” song comes from that I sometimes start singing just for fun. :D

Since we were right next door to it, we would then go to the Country Bear Jamboree!

Next, my friend and I would make our way to the Frontierland Train Station where we would go on a complete circle trip around the Magic Kingdom.

We would get off the train at Frontierland.

*PLEASE NO POLITICS POSTED IN MY TRIP REPORT!!!*

Up next was something that I was really excited about. That is to finally see the updated version of the Hall of Presidents. The Hall of Presidents is something that means a lot to me for personal reasons.

So, we would make our way to Liberty Square to see the show.

We would finally enter the theater and security was definitely noticeable.

Finally, the Presidents would make an appearance which means this was my first time seeing the new President Donald Trump animatronic.

I really like the new show a lot. I thought the screens were a lot better. I also like how the show described the Presidency. This is something that is always a must-see when I am in the Magic Kingdom.

*PLEASE NO POLITICS POSTED IN MY TRIP REPORT!!!*

It was time for our 4th fastpass of the day which was for the Little Mermaid.

It was now getting close to 4 p.m, and I decided that it was time to get a spot for the first Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks Show. So, my friend and I would make our way to the hub where we would grab a great spot for the show!

My friend and I would play card games and trade off getting snacks while we waited.

More updates will be posted in a couple days.

Nice updates!

I understand your friend liking Space Mountain a lot. It is one of my favorites as well. It's the darkest indoor roller coaster I have ever been on and it really does feel like I'm hurtling through the stars.

The tin soldiers are my favorite part of the parade as well!

Even with the high crowd levels it seems like you guys had a great morning at MK.

Nice updates!

I understand your friend liking Space Mountain a lot. It is one of my favorites as well. It's the darkest indoor roller coaster I have ever been on and it really does feel like I'm hurtling through the stars.

The tin soldiers are my favorite part of the parade as well!

Even with the high crowd levels it seems like you guys had a great morning at MK.
People have always said that the crowds around Christmas-New Years are insane. I find it not to be that bad at MK on the 30th. The crowds are definitely there and in some places you might feel like you can't move. However, getting a spot for the firework shows was very easy.

Space Mountain at the MK makes me hurt as much as the Matterhorn at Disneyland. They are pretty much the same ride vehicle. I prefer Space Mountain at Disneyland a lot more since it is a lot smoother.

Were those toy soldiers marching with heralds? I enjoyed that video, I grew up in a family of musicians.

HoP is always great. Hopefully the new animatronic looked better in the show than it did in all those close ups that were released when it opened.

Taking a newbie to WDW had to be a lot of fun, especially to see the parks/shows/rides/parades from his perspective.
Happy New Year!

Loving the trip report. The pictures are FANTASTIC. Wow, that parade? Amazing, so happy we decided we want to do MVMCP in late November this year!
Thank you! I have only been to MNSSHP (3 times), and I don’t even celebrate Halloween anymore lol. I really want to go to the Christmas Party for many reasons. Hopefully I will get to it within the next couple years. I think I am set for going for NYE for the rest of my life (I really want to) so it is hard for me to justify possibly going earlier in November/December as well just for the party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter