Taking the family to Aulani... kids are all in their 20's

ant37

Earning My Ears
Planning for September 2019. Are there plenty of things for adults to do at the resort?
Figuring we will head out from Aulani for a couple of side trips, either the Disney excursions or on our own... still doing the research. Would love to hear suggestions on some favorite trips off the property.
Thanks!

We are headed there with our 21 and 23 year old sons Dec 18-will let you know our experience. We've been twice, last when our oldest was 20. It's a little slow for their taste, honestly. The Aulani resort goes to "sleep" pretty early, with pools closing and restaurants being pretty quiet. We know this, so we planned late night dinners at monkeypod and at the nearby Four Seasons. I'm hoping (for their sake) there is a little more to do with the Four Seasons opening. As far as things to do, in the past we have done the surfing lessons offsite and we love a boat tour/snorkeling/whale watching with a nearby harbor-it's the wildlife tour. I think the website is sailhawaii.com.

We have taken our 3 early-mid 20's kids before and they had a great time. We did day trips to various beaches, restaurants in other areas of island etc. Our one son is a part time bartender while going to university and he enjoyed doing a happy sunset hour for family most days (with liquor from Costco)

We're adults with no kids and found plenty to do for six days. We had two half-day trips: to Kualoa Ranch and to off-site surfing lessons, but otherwise spent all our time at the resort. We were in the lazy river, meeting characters, paddle boarding, fitness classes, movie nights, enjoying meals on-site each day, taking nice and silly photos with the PhotoPass photographers, going on the culture and art tours of the property, exploring on our own, walking along the Ko Olina beach pathways, swimming in the cove, activities in the Pau Hana room (most are for all ages), playing in the kids area during open house hours (we did colouring and a craft), and the electronic scavenger hunt game.

We had just the right length of time to enjoy everything we wanted to. If we stayed longer, we would have wanted another half-day trip or two. Our upcoming trip we plan to be there for six days again, with one full-day trip to the North Shore and a half-day to a quiet beach park up-island.

Have fun!!

We are headed there with our 21 and 23 year old sons Dec 18-will let you know our experience. We've been twice, last when our oldest was 20. It's a little slow for their taste, honestly. The Aulani resort goes to "sleep" pretty early, with pools closing and restaurants being pretty quiet. We know this, so we planned late night dinners at monkeypod and at the nearby Four Seasons. I'm hoping (for their sake) there is a little more to do with the Four Seasons opening. As far as things to do, in the past we have done the surfing lessons offsite and we love a boat tour/snorkeling/whale watching with a nearby harbor-it's the wildlife tour. I think the website is sailhawaii.com.

Thanks! I had a feeling that it might be a little quiet at the resort. I would imagine the Four Seasons would have some evening entertainment, and we will definitely take a look at the sailhawaii.com site.
Have fun in December!

We have taken our 3 early-mid 20's kids before and they had a great time. We did day trips to various beaches, restaurants in other areas of island etc. Our one son is a part time bartender while going to university and he enjoyed doing a happy sunset hour for family most days (with liquor from Costco)

That sounds great... thanks!

We're adults with no kids and found plenty to do for six days. We had two half-day trips: to Kualoa Ranch and to off-site surfing lessons, but otherwise spent all our time at the resort. We were in the lazy river, meeting characters, paddle boarding, fitness classes, movie nights, enjoying meals on-site each day, taking nice and silly photos with the PhotoPass photographers, going on the culture and art tours of the property, exploring on our own, walking along the Ko Olina beach pathways, swimming in the cove, activities in the Pau Hana room (most are for all ages), playing in the kids area during open house hours (we did colouring and a craft), and the electronic scavenger hunt game.

We had just the right length of time to enjoy everything we wanted to. If we stayed longer, we would have wanted another half-day trip or two. Our upcoming trip we plan to be there for six days again, with one full-day trip to the North Shore and a half-day to a quiet beach park up-island.

Have fun!!

Excellent! I'm definitely going to take a look at the half-day and full-day trips. Thanks for the feeback!

I have a question - what do you mean by the "Four Seasons opening"? Did they open a new Four Seasons nearby or are you referring to the Four Seasons currently next door (I know the name was changed to Four Seasons a year or two ago)? Thanks!

I have a question - what do you mean by the "Four Seasons opening"? Did they open a new Four Seasons nearby or are you referring to the Four Seasons currently next door (I know the name was changed to Four Seasons a year or two ago)? Thanks!
The last time we were there 3 years ago, The Four Seasons wasn't open. This time it is, so I expect there will be more for them to do. I realize it opened a while ago, but it's new for us...and I'm hoping there will be more to do at night now that it is open.

We stayed at Aulani for part of our honeymoon. We spent a week there and did every other day resort day then touring day. On our resort days, we spent the majority of the day going between the beach and the different pools. The adult pool is a nice respite for adults, but we liked the lazy river even though it would get crowded at times. We also did spa treatments which was awesome, and enjoyed live music at Olelo Room. Across the street, we loved happy hour at Monkeypod and took a walk down to the Marriott for drinks and just to check it out.

On our outing days, our favorite activities were Kualoa Ranch and Kailua Beach, and visiting the North Shore. We stayed in Waikiki too, but if we hadn't, I would include Waikiki one night as a must do. Very different vibe and atmosphere than the rest of the island, and fun to shop, eat, have drinks, people watch, etc.

We've been twice from east coast when kids were younger and really enjoyed. Now they're in college. My dh wants to return and I am not into it. I just can't c bringing them there, it had its place now dh doens't really get that they're at a different age now and it just wouldn't fit their needs. day trips for sure would be great. but expensive and jet lag and we've been there. my kids are not pool/beach all day people, they do it an hour then done. and honestly, they're at a point that i'm kind of done vacationing with them overall. college time, go off with your friends and study and play on your own. vacations and college together especially aulani for us are too expensive at once and not worth it for their age. i guess i'm not so generous anymore treating college kids to spas and thinking of ways to entertain them! lol....

Your kids would definitely love a day at the North Shore. Giovanni's Shrimp Truck is a must.
Also, head in to Waikiki at night for dinner and walking around. So many cool stores and it's very active. Ala Moana Mall is fun, great Japanese food court inside, bottom level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter