Target Disney gift card nightmare

sluggozmom

DIS Veteran
So I went to Target today and bought $2625 dollars worth of GC's with my red card to save the 5%, and then I paid for that bill on my way out of the store>
Get home and sit down ready to consolidate at Disney GC only to find out the cards aren't active.. and that I will need to freeze EACH of the 28 cards and then go back to the store (35 miles form me) to have them reativated!!
OMG Almost not worth the $131 free dollars!!
Apparently the disney gift card hotline is ringing off the hook with this issue today!!

Anyone else??

So I went to Target today and bought $2625 dollars worth of GC's with my red card to save the 5%, and then I paid for that bill on my way out of the store>
Get home and sit down ready to consolidate at Disney GC only to find out the cards aren't active.. and that I will need to freeze EACH of the 28 cards and then go back to the store (35 miles form me) to have them reativated!!
OMG Almost not worth the $131 free dollars!!
Apparently the disney gift card hotline is ringing off the hook with this issue today!!

Anyone else??
Has it been 4-6 hours? Target 3rd party gift card activation can take extra time compared to other retailers.
Edit: it's actually just **3 hours**

Last edited:
Has it been 4-6 hours? Target 3rd party gift card activation can take extra time compared to other retailers.
Mine def. didn't when I purchased them in August of 2016.

Drove 15mins home and checked on the computer to be double sure (even though it did say activation successful) and all three gift cards had their appropriate balances on them.

I had this same problem today, only i bought one $25 giftcard, receipt said activated within 3hrs, it wasnt. When I called Disney gift card it said this card has not been activated. Ended up going back and got my money back and went to Wal-Mart to purchase one. Maybe I'll just stick with walmar t now.

I had this same problem today, only i bought one $25 giftcard, receipt said activated within 3hrs, it wasnt. When I called Disney gift card it said this card has not been activated. Ended up going back and got my money back and went to Wal-Mart to purchase one. Maybe I'll just stick with walmar t now.
I take it the Walmart one was activated?

Just checked the card I bought today - not activated. I was definitely charged for it! I am done with getting Disney GC at Target. It is not worth it.

Last edited:

Yes, and right away. Didn't have to wait 3hrs to check.
The bolded is the information I was looking for. Sounds like it's maybe just an issue with Target's system at the present moment with information transmitting in the POS system. If receipts are saying ACTIVATION SUCCESSFUL but aren't actually activated I totally get the frustrations.

I wonder if it's just Disney gift cards impacted or other entertainment gift cards like Starbucks, etc.

The bolded is the information I was looking for. Sounds like it's maybe just an issue with Target's system at the present moment with information transmitting in the POS system. If receipts are saying ACTIVATION SUCCESSFUL but aren't actually activated I totally get the frustrations.

I wonder if it's just Disney gift cards impacted or other entertainment gift cards like Starbucks, etc.

So you think the cards will come up active at some point? The nearest Target is not convenient. I went today because I was in the area and had Target gift cards to burn - bought $50 of merchandise and a $50 Disney GC.

So you think the cards will come up active at some point? The nearest Target is not convenient. I went today because I was in the area and had Target gift cards to burn - bought $50 of merchandise and a $50 Disney GC.
With $50 on the line I wouldn't be too worried to give it a day. With the 4 figures @sluggozmom has on the line I would be in my car on the way back to the store ASAP.

I'm not sure.

For me back in 2016 it was activated really as soon as I bought it. Drove 15mins home checked on the computer.

If you're willing to wait it out a bit today you could.

But it could also just be an issue with Target's system that can't be fixed by waiting it out and you may have to do what the OP was told with the freezing and go back to the store or what a PP did which was returning/getting their money back.

I hoping for your sake your situation is just to wait it out so fingers crossed!

I bought $2600 last year at Target to pay for my trip and the cards were active by the time I got home, 20 minutes later.

They were great at Target today dealing with this issue and I didn’t want to let my money sit overnight. While I had people that knew what was going on I was taking care of it right away.

I’m hoping they aren’t doing away with red card GC purchasing, but I can see it coming.

I just checked mine again. Not activated yet. I will bring it back tomorrow. You think I can go to a different target? There is one closer to where I work.

I just checked mine again. Not activated yet. I will bring it back tomorrow. You think I can go to a different target? There is one closer to where I work.

I am not sure.. I passed by 3 on my way to where I purchased.. They were who I called, they looked up all my receipts and they had all my hundred dollar bills!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!