Teacher Discounts for Travel and Lodging on school vacation and breaks?

Michele Rogers

Tree Hugger
I am a teacher and I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the cost of traveling on school vacations and breaks to Disney. I live in MA and we have a week in Feb and a week in April. I have researched "discounts" for teachers but have found that they aren't really discounts. Some hotels give teacher "discounts" but the cost of a room is actually MORE than the cost of rack rate room or a pay ahead room.

It's hard being a teacher and only having the ability to travel during the most busiest and expensive times. We don't make a lot of money as it is.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find cheaper travel, if Disney gives a teacher discount, or any other hotels do?
Thanks!

I'm a nurse. I have children (grown now, but young before). I had to travel for school breaks. It was not cheap. We found we saved longer and put our trips off until we could afford them.

Check out renting DVC points. I'm also a teacher and found the discounts weren't really great but renting DVC points has been super helpful when saving money. We also try to go every other year but decided to skip this year to save even more and make it a better, longer trip next year. Good luck!

You can call Swan/Dolphin and inquire about their teacher rates.

This. Swan and Dolphin have teacher, nurse, and gov’t discounts at times.If you’re a Costco member it’s worth looking into their packages also, especially if you like to rent cars. Typically they waive the resort and parking fees at Swolphin.

Disney doesn't discount for Teachers. Unfortunately with their target being families, who have kids in school, everyone needs to go at the same times. Most teachers I know do get vacations though. I just traveled with a Teacher friend in January, she took a couple days off, it's our 2nd year to go then. Maybe try that one year

You can call Swan/Dolphin and inquire about their teacher rates.

DH is a teacher, and once about 10 years ago we really did get a nice discount at the Swan. They continue to advertise this, but in the last few years we have never found it to be any actual savings. Inquiries have always quoted rates higher than the AAA rate, and sometimes exactly the same as the rack rate that’s available online.

I am right there with you. It's hard.

I second the vote to rent DVC. You have to be able to plan far in advance due to demand and not mind paying in full. You can get travel insurance if you're worried about weather or ailments. But those are the only "catches."

That's still not supercheap, so if you were looking to pay less, I would start with mousesavers.com. For Feb break last year I was able to get Buena Vista Suites at a very reasonable rate. It included a hot continental breakfast with eggs made to order, had a nice, relatively uncrowded pool, and free parking. I would happily stay there again. It was very, very close to the parks and even with the cost of a rental car you could probably bring your trip down to the cost of staying at a Value and have a much nicer room, a hot tub, one meal covered, and other amenities like an on site restaurant.

I am a teacher and I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the cost of traveling on school vacations and breaks to Disney. I live in MA and we have a week in Feb and a week in April. I have researched "discounts" for teachers but have found that they aren't really discounts. Some hotels give teacher "discounts" but the cost of a room is actually MORE than the cost of rack rate room or a pay ahead room.

It's hard being a teacher and only having the ability to travel during the most busiest and expensive times. We don't make a lot of money as it is.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find cheaper travel, if Disney gives a teacher discount, or any other hotels do?
Thanks!

Do you have any time off in the summer? I’m a teacher. We go in August. That’s one of the cheaper times to go. :)

I understand your frustration, but most families with children travel only during school breaks. That's why the rates are high - because we're all going then, even if the parents aren't teachers.

You could go in the summer. MA schools tend to start later than schools in the south, so the closer you get to Labor Day, the cheaper August usually is. Even July is often less expensive than during the school year.

My suggestion is to join some of the budget/discount threads. If you have decent credit, you could apply for a travel credit card that gives good rewards. Pay it off each month, and apply the rewards to the trip. I always thought rewards CCs were more work than worth until DH made me an authorized user on his CCs and started showing me how we were able to book hotels and airfare on points.

Look for general discounts. There are places to get lower rates than from the hotel's own site. If you look under the sticky at the top of the resorts page, you'll see the Discount Codes and Rates sticky. When you go to that, you see a very long thread on Priceline and Hotwire deals. We are very good at decoding the opaque deals and would be happy to help you figure out what your hotel might be.

Orlando is actually a very saturated market, so you can often find decent, clean, basic hotels for under $100, and either rent a car or take a $10 Uber/Lyft to the park. Last year my kids and I stayed in a very basic hotel behind a discount souvenir shop on 192. It wasn't the Poly, but it was clean, affordable, and just a few miles from Disney.

There are public discounts for both Feb & April. They are limited & you have to jump on them when they come out. So you might need to plan earlier to get a deal. But reports the last few years have said that summer crowds have been down, so you might want to consider going during the summer anyway. There is currently a room discount good thru September 12.

While you might not make much as a teacher, around here teachers get paid very well. The 2 districts for our town... starting teacher pay is $60 K, many making $80K+. Going up to over $100K. Our cost of living is not that bad either. Believe me, teachers here can afford Disney just as much as anyone else can.

Personally, I am ok with Disney not offering discounts for specific professions. That’s why they have general public discounts, so they don’t have to single out professions. While a discount t might make you happy, the firefighter or law enforcement officer who doesn’t get one won’t be. And there are also other people who have limited vacation options too. Our hospital is unionized. Vacations & time off are granted by seniority. Lots of newer employees don’t get summer or holiday vacation time either. So they have a hard time getting any time off with their kids at all. Everybody has some issue to deal with.

Last edited:
Travel in the summer. In our area teachers make more than my husband and some make more than my husband and I combined. We look for discounts (free dining is our favorite) and stay at value resorts. We have to travel in the summer due to both our jobs. Husband drives a snow plow and has to stay put in the winter. I work as a cook at the school and only get 2 days off during school year.

Most families with children can’t go during the school year so this affects many more people than just teachers so not sure why Disney should feel obligated to give special perks to one occupation. Summer tips to Disney have been cheaper and less crowded in my opinion anyway.

Teaching is a very important job that is often very long hours, and I appreciate the work you are doing. I am also well aware that teachers tend to make less than other professions that require a similar level of education.

However, having compensation that is relatively less than other professionals does not mean you are objectively low-paid compared to the general public. Last time I looked, MA teachers were in the top 5 nationally for pay. While I don't know where you teach, and those in affluent eastern suburbs undoubtably make more than those in tiny rural districts in the western part of the state (with corresponding cost of living differences), the overall MA teacher's salary is middle class. I'm not sure why you deserve discounts more than the general public, especially when the general public includes support staff like aides, bus drivers, secretaries, and cafeteria workers, who all make far less than teachers, are tied to the same vacation schedule, and don't qualify for any special discounts.

In general, those in "helping" careers - teachers, nurses, social workers, etc. - are expected to be well educated, work long hours, and be satisfied with smaller paychecks than those in revenue-generating professions (finance, marketing, etc.). It sucks, and I get it. I'm a nurse and I used to be a public school teacher in CT, so similar pay and expectations to you. I understand feeling like what we do is not valued as it should be. I understand how demoralizing it is when your profession is a politician's punching bag. But I have never felt like my compensation was so low that I needed or deserved special discounts. Sure, I'm happy to take them when they come, but I don't think teachers or nurses or members of any other profession are entitled to them.

Since you're asking on another thread how to score the limited edition Minnie Mouse ears and lounge fly purses, it seems you're doing okay financially. I realize this is the internet, so I want to clarify that this post isn't meant to be snarky. Just pointing out how you might want to take a step back, and look at your financial status in comparison to those who aren't doing as well as you, and don't get special discounts either.

Do you have any time off in the summer? I’m a teacher. We go in August. That’s one of the cheaper times to go. :)
I have 3 weeks off in the summer. I work at a summer camp during the summer. :-( I wish I could afford not to have to work during the summer.

This. Swan and Dolphin have teacher, nurse, and gov’t discounts at times.If you’re a Costco member it’s worth looking into their packages also, especially if you like to rent cars. Typically they waive the resort and parking fees at Swolphin.
The discounts are slim though. I had hoped there would be flight discounts. That's what is the most expensive. It's crazy.

Teaching is a very important job that is often very long hours, and I appreciate the work you are doing. I am also well aware that teachers tend to make less than other professions that require a similar level of education.

However, having compensation that is relatively less than other professionals does not mean you are objectively low-paid compared to the general public. Last time I looked, MA teachers were in the top 5 nationally for pay. While I don't know where you teach, and those in affluent eastern suburbs undoubtably make more than those in tiny rural districts in the western part of the state (with corresponding cost of living differences), the overall MA teacher's salary is middle class. I'm not sure why you deserve discounts more than the general public, especially when the general public includes support staff like aides, bus drivers, secretaries, and cafeteria workers, who all make far less than teachers, are tied to the same vacation schedule, and don't qualify for any special discounts.

In general, those in "helping" careers - teachers, nurses, social workers, etc. - are expected to be well educated, work long hours, and be satisfied with smaller paychecks than those in revenue-generating professions (finance, marketing, etc.). It sucks, and I get it. I'm a nurse and I used to be a public school teacher in CT, so similar pay and expectations to you. I understand feeling like what we do is not valued as it should be. I understand how demoralizing it is when your profession is a politician's punching bag. But I have never felt like my compensation was so low that I needed or deserved special discounts. Sure, I'm happy to take them when they come, but I don't think teachers or nurses or members of any other profession are entitled to them.

Since you're asking on another thread how to score the limited edition Minnie Mouse ears and lounge fly purses, it seems you're doing okay financially. I realize this is the internet, so I want to clarify that this post isn't meant to be snarky. Just pointing out how you might want to take a step back, and look at your financial status in comparison to those who aren't doing as well as you, and don't get special discounts either.
I shouldn't have to explain myself to someone random on the internet for asking a question. But I will.

You are not taking into account the cost of living in Massachusetts. It is one of the most expensive states to live in. In order to make a lot of money as a teacher in MA you have to have been working in the same school for 10 or more years. The median home value in my town alone is $700,000. (I am renting, which costs $2,500 a month for a 2 bedroom). I work 10 hours a day as a special education teacher by day and aftercare teacher by night. I make much less than the middle class. Going to Disney with my daughter is our special time.

Teachers are slaves to school vacations. Parents of school aged children can use their time off to take a vacation and pull their children out of school during a different time. We cannot. We have few personal days. So yes, teachers should have travel discounts for school breaks when compared to a nurse or social worker. I think that anyone who works in the public school system should have the option of discounted travel and such.

I did find your comment as snarky. You are judging my life on two recent posts. Yes, I want to buy the Minnie Mouse Main Attraction Ears. How do you know if that is the one thing I buy for myself each month? (If only they wouldn't sell out). I am a single mother. I receive absolutely no child support. It is offensive that you assume that I am doing ok financially by looking at my recent posts and my career.

Last edited:
Travel in the summer. In our area teachers make more than my husband and some make more than my husband and I combined. We look for discounts (free dining is our favorite) and stay at value resorts. We have to travel in the summer due to both our jobs. Husband drives a snow plow and has to stay put in the winter. I work as a cook at the school and only get 2 days off during school year.
I wish teachers made a lot where I live. Our cost of living is insanely high. I think that anyone who works in the public school system should have the option of discounted travel and such.

Last edited:
There are public discounts for both Feb & April. They are limited & you have to jump on them when they come out. So you might need to plan earlier to get a deal. But reports the last few years have said that summer crowds have been down, so you might want to consider going during the summer anyway. There is currently a room discount good thru September 12.

While you might not make much as a teacher, around here teachers get paid very well. The 2 districts for our town... starting teacher pay is $60 K, many making $80K+. Going up to over $100K. Our cost of living is not that bad either. Believe me, teachers here can afford Disney just as much as anyone else can.

Personally, I am ok with Disney not offering discounts for specific professions. That’s why they have general public discounts, so they don’t have to single out professions. While a discount t might make you happy, the firefighter or law enforcement officer who doesn’t get one won’t be. And there are also other people who have limited vacation options too. Our hospital is unionized. Vacations & time off are granted by seniority. Lots of newer employees don’t get summer or holiday vacation time either. So they have a hard time getting any time off with their kids at all. Everybody has some issue to deal with.
Forgive me if my post came off as asking for Disney to give a discount. I was more talking about flights and such. Flights during Feb and April vacation are outrageous. Teachers have limited personal days. Most parents can pull their children from school for a week and take a vacation. Teachers cannot. I think that anyone who works in the public school system should have the option of discounted travel and such.

Also, teachers in my state do not make a lot when you account for the cost of living and student loans. Massachusetts cost of living is crazy. A two bedroom apartment in my town is $2,500 plus. Teachers do not make 60,000 starting salary here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter