Teachers

This question really caught my interest. I have to ask, what consititutes a sabbatical? What is the difference between a sabbatical and a long vacation?

I have a licensed family daycare in our home (for the past 10 years) and am starting my final year of online teacher's ed classes. I must say a sabbatical sounds good to me!

I taught in NJ public schools, but never long enough in a district to qualify. I would have applied if the opportunity had come up. Competition was stiff for them.

Bobbi :flower:

My little brother (he just turned 40) is a High School art teacher in southern Maine. He is taking his first Sabbatical in the spring semester 2006 to finish his MA (or is it an MEd?), and I believe he's been in his current district for about a decade. So it looks like Maine is on the once every 10 yrs type schedule for Sabbaticals. My Dad was a college professor and was theoretically entitled to one every 7 years (you know, 7 like the sabbath).

I'd be the non-academic man in our family, having strayed into commerce (shocking, isn't it), but at least they get a decent financial planner to help them (me). Have a great sabbatical!

For my district (suburban Western New York) you must be tenured for 10 years prior to requesting one (13 years in the district minimum) and you must prove that what you are doing will be beneficial to the students and district once you return. You must also stay with the distirct for 5 full years after the sabbatical or you are required to pay the district back that one year salary. There are so many restrictions and it is rarely approved by the board.

In our school system anyone with 10 years can take a sabbatical, but no one ever does. They're unpaid. We all finish our classes for MBA or Doctorate in the summers, slower, but at least we are getting paid then. ;)

I live in Kentucky and to my knowledge - you can take a leave of absence for educational purposes or health reasons - but you don't get paid. The only thing it does for you is allow you to return to a position - but not necessarily your previous position. I don't know anyone who has ever done this.

Funny
What's this have to do with DVC?????????
Being a teacher I can see exactly what it has to do with DVC!
Of course I can also see why others would be scratching your heads.

Yes I bought into DVC knowing that I'm a teacher and when I can and can't take my vacations. I also knew Disney's busy and slow times and the DVC point chart.
Yet I still dream of a situation that I can go to the World in for a week September before I retire......

I'm sure the OP is just interested in furthering thier academic interests. :rolleyes1

Tammy
(going to check my contract under sabbatical)

Where I am- you can take 80% of your salary for 4 years and the fifth year you take your sabbatical with 80% of your salary. You have to request it and it is usually granted.

Have thought about it ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter