Telecommuting... From Disney?

xipetotec

DIS Veteran
Just for fun... Has anyone who does their job from home or remotely ever gone and set themselves up at Disney for a day? Whether it's in the parks or in a resort?

I have but only because i was required to las part of being able to take a vacation. I try to disconnect myself 100% to spend time with family. One year we wanted to take two and a half weeks. For me to be able to take so much time I agreed to work for one day in the middle of the trip to check in and clean up any fires. I set up at our villas table at OKW and longingly looked out the window.

Yep, I do it every summer. Our summer WDW trips are 17 days long, but only because I work remote some of it. This year, for example, we're leaving for WDW on Wednesday after I get off of work, arriving around midnight. I'll work from the rental house Thur, Fri, Mon and Tue. I work from 7:30am to 3:45pm, then we go to the parks. Works great.

Dh always brings his computer and works some at night from the condo. The closest he gets to working in the park is if he gets a text from work and has to call in to work on something. The last few years, we've been actively trying to get this minimized as much as possible. Our workplace's decision to understaff is not dh's fault. And my manager is at the HS cheerleader finals at WDW right now. I know she's going to be checking in, bc we've got some big irons in the fire right now, and I'm not spun up on all of them. I wish she could let it lay for the 2 days she'll be out next week, but that's not the way modern business works anymore. Makes me glad to just be a lead and not a manager.

I did last Halloween. We stayed at all Star Music and I worked during the day in the room. At night, we had passes for Universal's Halloween Horror Nights so we went to that 4 nights, MNSSHP one night, and did resort Halloween character hunting on Halloween night itself.

I considered it a little taste of life if I was a local. It was fun.

My husband always sets up his work in the room. He works from home and so when we’re there he usually tries to work a few hours a day in the room. He’ll answer calls in the Park, but we never take the laptop in with us.

but that's not the way modern business works anymore. Makes me glad to just be a lead and not a manager.

Yep that's life - I've spent much time VPN'd into office PC 800 miles away while sitting in the hotel, and catch up with family later on when done. DW is very supportive, she knows I'd rather be in the parks and if I'd skipped out on something important at work I'd be more apt to be walking around MK preoccupied with what happened during an important telecon or with a server that had gone down and was high priority to bring it back up, etc etc. So once I do get to catch up with them it makes for a better time.

I'll taken conference calls from inside the parks. It is very hard to find anyplace quiet in the parks. Between the crowds and background music. I prefer to work during our resort break mid-day while DH and kids are at the pool.

Once at DLH, I'll try to avoid doing it now since going to the parks late isn't really an option with a one year old.

I frequently have to run payroll from Disney. No one else in the company can do it (once had to do it while in the hospital, if that tells you anything) so if my trip crosses a pay date then I do it from wherever I am

I work on most vacations these days. It is the only way I can get away, at least until I have a bit more vacation time to use.

Not by choice, but I worked a bit every day a couple of years ago from Wyndham Bonnet Creek. I made sure I was back at the resort for conference calls and things I had to do on my laptop. I could do a few things via text while I was in the parks, though. Not my favorite vacation, but you have to do what you have to do. Tough to plan vacations around projects that push out from the initial goal date.

Wouldn't mind if that was the norm - better than being in the office!

When on vaca, I'll check my emails/texts in the am and at night.

Just for fun... Has anyone who does their job from home or remotely ever gone and set themselves up at Disney for a day? Whether it's in the parks or in a resort?

Sure - multiple times. Had to get to a computer once in a violent thunderstorm - Had to go to Dolphin's (Swan?) business center from EPCOT to get access. Usually, I work from the room and also via my work issued smart phone.

Last edited:
I'll taken conference calls from inside the parks. It is very hard to find anyplace quiet in the parks. Between the crowds and background music. I prefer to work during our resort break mid-day while DH and kids are at the pool.

This too! I can remember vividly, a less than pleasant call that had to be made from MK. It sure helped that I was in a good mood.

DW is the breadwinner in our family, and she gets calls frequently from work where she has to drop what she's doing, grab her laptop, get online, and, as an above poster put it, put out some fire. She didn't have to do it in 2015 when we were last at WDW, but the way her workplace is now, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if she had to spend at least some of her hard earned vacation in June on her laptop working. As for me. I'm a "house husband" and it's my job to take care of the kids. So I will definitely be working the whole time we're there.

I did because of work that had to be done. When i had to do it for an extended period of time, I made sure to stay in an offsite townhouse with very reliable internet. I also did it for one day at Pop, and like previous posters, looked longingly out the window. I always stayed in the room (never in a park) because I needed absolute silence for conference calls.

I have! Brought a docking station for my laptop and monitor to have a full work station in our resort room. I was officially on vacation but knew enough would come up that I’d need to work for an hour or two each day. We drive so was easy enough to pack in the car. As others have said, it’s unfortunately the nature of work these days that you are expected to be connected. I also spent one rainy afternoon on my laptop in Crews Cup lounge at Yacht Club. The wine and snacks made having to work much better!

I frequently have to run payroll from Disney. No one else in the company can do it (once had to do it while in the hospital, if that tells you anything) so if my trip crosses a pay date then I do it from wherever I am
Sure hope they have "key person" insurance on you!!!

Yep! I never check email in the parks, but I've worked from my hotel room a time or two to avoid taking extra vacation days. It's 100% worth it, and I don't feel removed from the magic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!