Tell me about Tchoup Chop

grumpyandbashful

DIS Veteran
DS 12 and I will be at HRH in a little over a week :Pinkbounc ., after 5 nights at WDW.
Is it worth it to go over to RPH to try out Tchoup Chop? Can someone who's been there tell me about the food, atmosphere, and prices? We both love Asian food - is it Asian?
We usually do counter service and to go while at Universal, but it might be fun to try a "real" restaurant.

Hi! I was just at the restaurant on July 5th and it is a stunner!GORGEOUS! I took DD (7) for lunch after going to the Titanic: Ship of Dreams exhibition in Orlando. We were staying at the Hard Rock but I was VERY impressed with the Royal Pacific from what I could see (lobby, pool area, etc.)...
I can tell you that Tchoup Chop is, not surprisingly, EXPENSIVE! DD's chicken fingers (Asian-ized) were in the $8.50 range and I got chicken salad off the salad side - entrees were just more food and money than I could spend for lunch. We did get a potsticker appetizer and I got a delicious HOT bloody Mary and DD got a kids' drink in a gorgeous tiki cup. One thing that scared me off from the beginning was that our server informed us that he would be one of three on our "team" of servers - translate BIG TIP! It was wonderful to have such service and for an adult dinner situation I would have welcomed it but it sort of scared me off... I think with tip our LUNCH was $55 for one adult and one child who barely ate anything. But the restaurant is beautiful and our food was delicious. I don't mean to sound cheap at all. You (usually) get what you pay for. I look forward to going back there with a friend in the next month or two for a fabulous dinner. And now I know what to expect. The place is beautiful. The servers were VERY friendly and nice. Again, the food was GREAT! Only negative: a woman who seemed to be a manager was going around to the guests' tables to ask how they were enjoying themselves and she specifically passed by me. Guess a woman alone with a child wasn't high on her list of patrons to a** kiss and I did think that was pretty poor. But I highly recommend the restaurant. You'll be thrilled when you walk in!

I have a reservation for Tchoup chop in September and now you have me wondering about tipping.

A team of three?
Did you tip each one separately or leave one tip for all?
Did you still tip 15 to 20 percent of the bill total or more?
I have dined at restaurants where one server took my order but others serviced the table (filled drinks, cleared, etc.).
It never occured to me that I should tip each one.
What is the proper etiquette?

Thanks

I just left a little over 20% figuring they could split it...
One guy brought DD special chopsticks...one guy brought our appetizer, another our drinks. It basically is just three different faces doing the usual stuff but it makes you feel "special" I guess. It was nice it's just for lunch with my daughter before heading to IOA for the afternoon it was a bit much ;)
Again, for dinner with adults it would be decadent and I would recommend it. If money is no object I recommend it...Don't be pushed into feeling you have to tip to a degree more than you feel comfortable...P.S. It is a very beautiful, very nice restaurant.

Here's a copy of a review I posted on one of the other forums recently. Some of it's specific to the post I was replying to at the time, but you'll get the gist!

We ate at Tchoup Chop in May. Eating at good restaurants has probably become the most important part of our trips to Orlando and this was the one I'd been looking forward to most. It was right near the end of our trip, because we'd booked the last 3 nights at the Portofino Bay, and obviously it made sense to do it whilst we were there.

We'd already had some fantastic dining experiences by the time we got to Tchoup Chop and I was a little bit worried that it might not live up to my expectations. I needn't have been. The place is breathtaking. Water gently falling down one wall, a rectangular lily pool right down the centre of the dining room, 'oriental-style' booths at one end and a bar at the other backlit in an amazing shade of blue.

When we arrived, we were asked to wait in the bar area until our table was ready. I would say there were around 10-12 seats at the bar and they were all taken - most of them by people eating. There was a low wall separating the bar area from the dining room which had tables for two along its length (on the bar side). I imagine these tables and the bar itself were reserved for walk-ups. It was difficult to get a drink because we had to lean over those sitting at the bar. We then had to stand in the space between the bar and the bar tables. We were constantly having to move for servers passing through and I felt as though we were intruding upon the private space of those at the tables. It didn't really matter for us, as we were only there for 10 minutes before being seated, but I wouldn't choose to dine at either the bar or the bar tables.

Once we were seated I began to relax and to soak up the ambiance. It is a very busy, buzzing restaurant - think California Grill if you've been there. I haven't been to Emeril's for a while, but I remember that being a much calmer experience. Also the service was equally as good, but very different. At Emeril's we had the dedicated attention of one server for the entire duration of the meal. I don't even remember him serving any other tables, although I'm sure he must have done. There, the chefs brought the food to the table. At Tchoup Chop, our 3 servers (!) introduced themselves at the start of the meal and, although there was clearly a senior one, they all played a part throughout. There were also 2 'suits' walking the restaurant and the kitchens and, no exaggeration, they knew exactly what was going on at every table. I was pleased to see that they weren't just dishing out instructions - they were helping to deliver food. It's all very well orchestrated - they appear to make an effort to deliver as many dishes as possible to the table in one go (checking their notes before they arrive at the table to make sure they're delivered to the right people).

I did feel a little rushed. I tried to tell myself that it was a combination of having so many servers and the sheer hustle and bustle of the place, but the cynic in me kept eyeing up that lily pool which must cut out at least 50 covers!

The food was fabulous. I wasn't sure what to expect as I'm not a huge lover of Asian Cuisine and I'd read a review by Scott Joseph, the Orlando Sentinel's dining critic, completely slating it. Normally I respect his views, so my expectations of the food weren't all that high. Again, I needn't have worried. Everything we ate was perfectly prepared, cooked and presented.

I was very surprised at the number of children in the restaurant - some of them babies, in fact. This really isn't a children's restaurant in my view - not that they'd have bothered other diners, the place is simply too noisy - but it's definitely an adult environment. If you want to take your two, they won't be out of place, but you might enjoy it less. Maybe lunch would be a better option.

I do think you need to book in advance. I know that Mandy and Mark (Angel and Chunster20uk), aka the honeymooners, had tried to get into both Tchoup Chop and Emeril's whilst they were staying at HRH without any luck. I think I booked about 8 weeks in advance and, at that point, I could have had any time for the date I wanted.

As an aside, Emeril's has just won Orlando Magazine's Best Restaurant Award (beating Victoria and Albert's which has won it for, well forever!), and came second to V&As for Best Service. These are readers' awards (Tchoup Chop is too new to have been included).

I hadn't intended to rattle on for this long when I first started, but, well, get me talking about food and there's just no stopping me!

Whilst you do have 3 servers, remember that they are serving more tables between them so I don't think the tip thing is an issue. We're big tippers anyway, but it didn't occur to me to tip more because there were 3 of them.

Check out the menu here.

Yes, it is worth the trip over. The food is pacific rim/Hawaiin influences, Emeril style.

Tchoup Chop is Emeril's dream restaurant. The inside alone is worth the trip over. The light fixtures hanging from the ceiling were done by the same artist that did the flowered ceiling at the Bellagio in vegas...they are spectacular. The water wall over the kitchen.

The food is delicious, the service is excellent.

We have been quite a few times now...we try to stop by every time we are in the Orlando area...we always look forward to going back.

Sorry to jump in on the thread, but johnsonet - I noticed you said you went to the Titantic Exhibit and I was wondering what you thought of it? That is something my son wants to do on one of our non-park days and I was wondering if you thought it was worth it?

Thanks!

We ate there last month and it was simply outstanding. The food was very good, the decor spectacular and the service was outstanding. I tipped 20% ( which is virtually unheard of for me to go above 15%) plus I gave the "team leader" an extra $10 bill in her hand, because I thought she was the best wait staff I've ever had. Adding the extra on the bill would just have been shared between them IMHO.

Hi. Yes I really enjoyed the Titanic Exhibit. It was different from what I'd expected but very nice. I thought there would be lots of actors around dressed in period outfits but we had one actor who served as our guide and he was the only other person the guests saw or had any contact with.
I loved looking at the photos and reading (or trying to) the postcards and letters they had on display. DD is only 7 but is a huge fan of the movie "Titanic". She was most thrilled with Leonardo di Caprio's outfit from the film and also the wall of ice you can feel to get an idea of how icy cold that North Atlantic water was. Those poor souls...
I would definitely recommend the exhibit. When we went, the ticket office opened at 10am but the first tour wasn't until 10:30 so we just sat there for 30 minutes...

We ate there last week and it was wonderful. I would say it is a don't miss if only for the experience. The restaurant is gorgeous, service was perfect and I thought the food was great. I am not an adventurous eater so I ordered the Rib steak. It was really delicious, served with garlic mashed potatoes and broccoli rabe (hate it!) My teenage daughter wasn't thrilled with all of her meal (she had some kind of ribs and chicken? can't remember) but she is very picky. My youngest daughter (almost 10) who is also extremely picky ordered the filet mignon and didn't leave a bite on her plate. Only my husband and youngest daughter ordered desert, hubby the banana cream pie and dd the strawberries dipped in chocolate. Now I am not much of a sweets/desert person but the Banana Cream Pie was awesome! Our bill for 7 of us was about $200 with tip.

I was able to make a reservation for dinner there next Thursday!
I also found the menu, prices, etc., on Emeril's website. DS is an adventurous eater, so we should be fine! I'll write you all a little review when we return ;) . Thanks again!

My DS 16 and I ate dinner at Tschoup Chop last night. We did not have a reservation. I just went in and asked if they had a table. I was told they could seat us on the bar side, which really meant we sat on the other side of a short wall separating the small bar area from the main restaurant - I was fine with that. The restaurant is beautiful!! There were quite a few children in the restaurant and most people were casually dressed.

My son had macadamia encrusted Atlantic Salmon and I had a pork and noodle stir fry - both were fantastic! We shared a piece of AWESOME banana cream pie for dessert. He had a soda and I had iced tea. The bill was $64 including a 20% tip.

We would definitely eat here again - we enjoyed it very much. We have also eaten at Emeril's at CityWalk and Emeril's in Las Vegas. All meals have been fantastic!

I have reservations for Tchoup Chop while we are visiting Universal next month. What table do I want to request when I call to confirm? There will be 8 of us.

Thanks for the quick reponse. We leave tomorrow for two weeks (AKL concierge/HRH club). Intend to call right now and see if I can get a reservation.:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter