terrible set up. can't find anything!

disney world dreamer

DIS Veteran
its a terrible set up especially for the visually impaired.
i like bold colors. this is all dull.
why is where i am typing grey instead of white?
it says i have no activity.
i don't know where to find my subscribed threads.
everything seems like its all over the place instead of in nice "compartments" if you will.

well i found the subscriptions. its now "watched threads"

Click your name at the top right corner of the screen.

Then click Preferences. You can change the theme/colors there.

Click your name at the top right corner of the screen.

Then click Preferences. You can change the theme/colors there.

you can't change them to be very bold colors like they were before.
everything is muted and dull and washed out looking which sucks for a person with low vision that needs a lot of contrast.

btw also wondering how i create a ticker?

I found that the new darker color scheme helps. I don't have trouble with vision but find looking at the white schemes straining.

Last edited:

You may be able to increase the text size on your desktop computer by holding the control button and scrolling with your mouse. I can do that on my laptop and it only changes the size on the DIS. All of the other webpages I go to are the same.

Honestly we didn't test with anyone who was visually impaired but I don't think it's insurmountable. Please give us some time to work on a design that works better and don't be afraid to remind us

Alex -- I'm not going to lie. I'm not a fan of the changes. Too much all at once, and there have been too many disruptions in format and existing links, etc. I'm sorry to be a traitor to my fellow DIS mods and all the Webmasters. I care less about visual appeal than I do functionality and practicality -- and a lot of links and assorted things have gone awry. Whether anyone thought the previous layout looked dated or not, it was still fairly warm and inviting. This new look is a bit more... um... 'hospital waiting room'-esque?

Clicking on links in a thread now means that the new page opens up on the existing open screen, instead of opening in a separate window/tab as it used to. That means more steps are required for opening up a separate tab and going back and forth between windows/tabs when I have to cross-reference something.

Many of the well-earned tags from the Tag Fairy disappeared. Mine was one of them -- there were only two or three words of it left and I just took them out.

One of the participants in one of my Superthreads just mentioned that a lot of the links he included in his Trip Reports -- links to other posts within his TRs, implemented to help people find things more easily in his threads -- have gone missing or been broken. I have also noticed that a lot of the link titles and text I included in my Superthreads for reference have been messed up (weird codes and symbols have appeared).

I can't figure out where certain features are located -- both to manage the threads I have created and to moderate. I can't figure out what happened to a specific private messages folder I had created.

Last edited:
so other than looking at the date and time of a thread how can i easily ID the newest ones???
i used to just look at the envelope color to see that it was a fairly new post so i did not keep reading the titles of posts over and over again that i have already seen.
again this is not user friendly for the visually impaired!
you're gonna have to do something about it or i'm gonna have to find a new hobby, which will be hard cuz i love answering questions about disney world and asking them too.

Alex -- I'm not going to lie. I'm not a fan of the changes. Too much all at once, and there have been too many disruptions in format and existing links, etc. I'm sorry to be a traitor to my fellow DIS mods and all the Webmasters. I care less about visual appeal than I do functionality and practicality -- and a lot of links and assorted things have gone awry. Whether anyone thought the previous layout looked dated or not, it was still fairly warm and inviting. This new look is a bit more... um... 'hospital waiting room'-esque?

Clicking on links in a thread now means that the new page opens up on the existing open screen, instead of opening in a separate window/tab as it used to. That means more steps are required for opening up a separate tab and going back and forth between windows/tabs when I have to cross-reference something.

Many of the well-earned tags from the Tag Fairy disappeared. Mine was one of them -- there were only two or three words of it left and I just took them out.

One of the participants in one of my Superthreads just mentioned that a lot of the links he included in his Trip Reports -- links to other posts within his TRs, implemented to help people find things more easily in his threads -- have gone missing or been broken. I have also noticed that a lot of the link titles and text I included in my Superthreads for reference have been messed up (weird codes and symbols have appeared).

I can't figure out where certain features are located -- both to manage the threads I have created and to moderate. I can't figure out what happened to a specific private messages folder I had created.

Nobody would ask you to lie but what everyone needs to understand is that we had absolutely no choice but to move. The software we were on was very old, no longer supportable and not safe. This was, all things considered the best software we could find. There was not a long list of candidates. We are going to keep working to make things better and fix things that didn't come over properly BUT it will never go back to what was. An example would be the "weird codes and things" We know what causes that and we know how to fix it but it's going to take time! I would strongly recommend not trying to fix things or delete things as then we can't fix it

I just deleted the garbled code that appeared for the magenta color that my tag from the tag fairy was in. Since the tag itself was short I still have the words but I will miss that tag. Alex - should I not have deleted the garbled up color stuff? Are the tags going to be fixed eventually? Now I'm REALLY bummed if so bcuz now I just messed up any hopes of fixing it. Should I put it back?? Maybe you need to start a sticky that informs people of what you're still working on and what's not going to ever change.

I have another question - is there a way to get the threads to open with the most recent post first like it used to be or do we have to manually go to the last post?

Last edited:
:faint: just trying things out. This is going to be a long chore. Alex, I like to say thanks for all your work and time upgrading the system. I hope you get all the bugs out soon. I myself just can't figure out a lot of it , in time I will.

To find your Subscriptions.....they are now called "Watched Threads". Click on "Watched Threads" which is just below the bar with your name on it, but on the left side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter