Texas school attendance policy and cruise dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where the heck do you live Europe. LOL The average is 10 days and to go a step further, 23% of Americans get zero days of paid vacation.

OP - The grade was a big factor for us. We had no issues (and loved) taking our oldest DD out of school for a week through 3rd grade. Once she got into 4th the curriculum almost doubled and the time a class would spend on a section was maybe a week. So, she would have missed a handful of quizzes or tests and would have missed an entire study section, which would be very stressful to catch up on. Now we are at the mercy of the school calendar year:( We may take them out for 1-2 days but that would be the max now.

Live right here in the U.S.A. and I have been flamed her on the DIS for suggesting folks only have 2 weeks vacation.

Are teachers allowed to take time off during the school year? I've heard teachers have personal days. I'm not taking about sick days, but personal days.

From the schools I’ve been in, teachers get 2-4 personal days per academic year. Administrators get 5 weeks per calendar year with the expectation that no more than a few days will be while school is in session. In all cases, days off attached to breaks are strongly frowned upon.

I’ve only used personal days for vacation once. I didn’t like it as I felt like I had to stay connected the whole time I was gone.

I can’t tell you how much I would like to do a PC cruise, but I don’t see the schedule ever working for me. As DD gets older (she’s in K now), I will also feel much less like pulling her out of school.

Most people I know in the states get at least 3 weeks off.. on average we all have 4 weeks or even more PAID. But now its a mix PTO, so sick and vacation is blended...wonder if these 2 weeks are for part-time retail??

I got transferred overseas, by law I HAVE to take my 30 days. plus paid holidays and sick days which are not limited and separate. If sick you are sick.. only issue is you are sick longer than 6 weeks, then your pay gets cut as you are on "disability"

Oh and I cannot take my kids out of school. No-go unless death or something like that. Kids get off about every 6 weeks for some Holiday break at least a week long.. so there is plenty of time. They were just off this week for Carnival /Ash Wensday. in 6 weeks they get 2 weeks off for Easter, then 2 more weeks in June and then 6 weeks Aug-sept.. here the breaks are more spread out.

From the schools I’ve been in, teachers get 2-4 personal days per academic year. Administrators get 5 weeks per calendar year with the expectation that no more than a few days will be while school is in session. In all cases, days off attached to breaks are strongly frowned upon.

I’ve only used personal days for vacation once. I didn’t like it as I felt like I had to stay connected the whole time I was gone.

I can’t tell you how much I would like to do a PC cruise, but I don’t see the schedule ever working for me. As DD gets older (she’s in K now), I will also feel much less like pulling her out of school.

In my district we get 4 personal days, but they are in no way allowed to be the day before or after any vacation period. I asked for one years ago because my daughter was graduating preschool the day before memorial day weekend and was denied. I had to call in sick, and then they called me on it and docked me a day's pay. I guess they expected me to just miss her preschool graduation. The union rep said I should have lied and said I was sick. You can bet when my son graduated from the same preschool I just called in sick.
The last time I went before spring break I left on Wednesday (a school day) and took a personal day, then had to take an unpaid day Thursday since Friday was the first day of vacation. I did lose $, but it was still cheaper than flying out on Good Friday.
Now, thank God, they have moved our break to 2nd week of March because state testing is in April and those test scores are the most important thing.

Live right here in the U.S.A. and I have been flamed her on the DIS for suggesting folks only have 2 weeks vacation.
:thumbsup2 If I would have seen that I would of backed you up:D I had to get 8 years in before I got 15 days so I am luckier then a lot of others. I read a business article on how Europe requires businesses to give at least 20 days off to their employee's. I left it on my bosses desk:rotfl2:

Are teachers allowed to take time off during the school year? I've heard teachers have personal days. I'm not taking about sick days, but personal days.

My kids have been out of school for 20 years, so we never had to worry about this.
I’m a public school teacher. I get one emergency personal day that I can take without notice or reason. I get three others that I must apply for and provide a reason such as an appointment. Administration must approve personal day requests and can turn them down at their discretion. A vacation is not an acceptable reason for a personal day.

Teachers aren't limited to summer here. They get Thanksgiving week off, 2 weeks at Christmas, President's day Week and Easter week off plus 5 personal days under their union contract.
Time off is why a lot of folks in my industry have gotten into teaching.
My contract isn’t like that. I get Thanksgiving and the day after off, 9 days at Christmas, 3 days in February, and 5 days in April. I have been to WDW at Christmas, February when we used to get a week off, and summer. I can’t afford to go in April. I get 4 personal days, 3 of which must be approved by administration. They are not to be used for vacation.

I think most people are aware of the weeks and holiday weeks teachers are off. Unfortunately for them it's during the most expensive weeks to travel. If I wanted lots of time off I'd be a teacher. If I wanted to travel I would choose a different occupation.

I got into Teachers College (in Canada) years ago early 2000's and decided at the last minute to change "careers".
Some days I regret it, but mostly I don't envy being so limited to when I can take time off. Yes sure I'd get July and August off (Canada), Christmas and March break - but outside of those times I would not be allowed to take time off.
I would hate to have to travel same weeks every single year. I would have not been able to take a Disney cruise, I have a ton of teacher friends who price it out all the time and give up - being limited to summer or Christmas.
My friends say they cannot use any personal days for vacations, and if they take them they pay for their own supply teachers. Here as a teacher you are expected to take your vacations during the time school is not in session.
We wanted to plan Alaska next year with my teacher friend , i really want to go for late August as school is still out where we live, but teacher friend has to go back to work mid August. Just getting classroom ready etc.
I don't know if we will get to travel together as I don't go pay July prices :(

Part-time retail gets zero paid time off. Ditto part-time office workers. Generally you have to be somewhere about ten years to pass the 2 week mark.

:thumbsup2 If I would have seen that I would of backed you up:D I had to get 8 years in before I got 15 days so I am luckier then a lot of others. I read a business article on how Europe requires businesses to give at least 20 days off to their employee's. I left it on my bosses desk:rotfl2:

I guess I'm lucky as most of my non-teacher friends here in Ontario. I get 4 weeks vacation plus 1 week of sick days that can be used as vacation. I also get a bunch of days for staying after hours so most years I end up with 6 weeks.
I usually take a week off in January, week off in March or April, 2 weeks in July and August and a week off at Christmas. That leaves me with a bunch of lose days for extended weekends, appts etc.
I'm not sure about retail or part time, but full-time professionals, government and office staff here get 3 weeks to start.

Last edited:
My contract isn’t like that. I get Thanksgiving and the day after off, 9 days at Christmas, 3 days in February, and 5 days in April. I have been to WDW at Christmas, February when we used to get a week off, and summer. I can’t afford to go in April. I get 4 personal days, 3 of which must be approved by administration. They are not to be used for vacation.
We have a very strong teachers union here. Peak times certainly are more expensive, we just cut somewhere else or put off the trip until we have saved up enough money. Took 2 weeks off in December for a "staycation". It was amazingly restful, and free to boot.

I live in TX and took my son out for a week this year. I was forthcoming with his school, (I told them the plan within the first few weeks of the school year), and emailed all of his teachers letting them know and asking them for any pre or post plans and work for him. I was kind and gracious to staff members that were willing to work with me as I knew they were going above and beyond to help me keep him current. Everything turned out fine. I think I got a “hey, you’re getting close to too many absences” letter. Here are the attendance guidelines for my district:

ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENTS
Good attendance is of prime importance for the educational development of each student. A student should never be absent unless it is absolutely necessary. Acceptable and excused absences are the following: personal illness, illness in the immediate family, death in the immediate family (immediate family includes parents, grandparents, siblings), and school sponsored activities. Any variations of this may be discussed with the student’s assistant principal or principal.
UNEXCUSED ABSENCES
A student commits a criminal offense if the student is absent for 10 or more days or parts of days in a six-month period or three or more days or parts of days in a four week period (See Stay in School Program Guidelines).
COMPULSORY ATTENDANCE LAW
The state compulsory attendance law allows for legal action, if necessary, for excessive absences. A student who is absent more than nine (9) days during the semester may not be given credit except as noted below:
• Illness of the student, as verified by a doctor’s written statement showing the exact dates of the absence**
• Extenuating circumstances approved by the Campus Attendance Committee, the majority of which consists of classroom teachers
Any student who is absent more than nine (9) days during the semester will be denied credit unless a written appeal is received by the Campus Attendance Committee. Upon receipt of the written appeal, the student’s attendance record will be reviewed by the Campus Attendance Committee to determine if extenuating circumstances exist. Extenuating circumstances include, but are not limited to the following:
• Illness or death in the immediate family
• Late enrollment or early withdrawal of a student placed in or having resided in a
community care home by the Texas Youth Commission
• Late enrollment or early withdrawal of a migratory student as defined by
applicable federal regulations
• The observance of religious holy days if the parent submits a written request
• Weather or road conditions making travel dangerous
• A natural disaster
** It is not necessary to have a note from the doctor each time that a student is ill. However, if the number of absences exceeds nine (9) days in a semester and if medical reasons are given for an additional absence, a doctor’s note will be required for the day(s) of illness in order to receive academic credit, unless waived by the Campus Attendance Committee.

This topic is always a subject of debate. When my kids were school aged, I chose not to take them out of the classroom for family vacations. I felt it sent the wrong message to our kids that their education was important, unless we wanted to save money on our vacation. With 4 kids, it was also difficult to coordinate a time when one of them didn't have something going on they didn't want to miss, which became even more difficult as they entered HS.

We chose weekend trips instead. They became so busy with sports, scouts and just hanging out with friends, even weekends became difficult after awhile. They are older now and we travel. Sometimes with them, most times without. The choices are family made were best for us. I personally believe kids should not be removed from school to save money on a vacation. We home schooled for a couple of years and loved the flexibility, but at the end of the day we believed there was value from learning in groups. Our choice doesn't mean it's the only choice or even the best choice, but it's what I suggest.

When we bought our house our school district had year round school. I thought that was such a great idea I think it was 6 weeks on 3 weeks or something like that. If they would have kept that I probably would have never chosen to homeschool. I'm not sure why year round school isn't more popular.

When we bought our house our school district had year round school. I thought that was such a great idea I think it was 6 weeks on 3 weeks or something like that. If they would have kept that I probably would have never chosen to homeschool. I'm not sure why year round school isn't more popular.

I have friends in a state with year round school and they love it for vacation planning but not for childcare during breaks. The one nice thing with a long summer break is summer camp if parents work. Good on you for homeschooling. Definitely on my mind lately.

I have friends in a state with year round school and they love it for vacation planning but not for childcare during breaks. The one nice thing with a long summer break is summer camp if parents work. Good on you for homeschooling. Definitely on my mind lately.
Like anything there is advantages and disadvantages to homeschooling. Both my kids have the flu for the first time. After reading this thread I'm really glad I don't have to worry about attendance or getting a doctors note. One of the main reasons we did it was our jobs. My dh was out of state a lot for work. I have a flexible job, but my hours are crazy. I was also making frequent trips out of state to deal with my parents health issues. Getting them to and from school was one less thing we had to worry about.

My kids have been on 20 cruises and seen a lot of the world. I think it's been a good experience for them. It's something we would not have been able to afford if they went to school. One is High school now and the other is a year away. It's getting harder to teach them. Our high school isn't great though. I'm looking at all my options including sending them over to the Junior college. A lot of high school kids do dual enrollment around here. Some even have an associates degree by the time they finish high school.

Other Texans have been helpful. I honestly do hate spending an extra 1500-2000 for peak dates and peak crowds. More than the money, only one sailing date lines up with SB 2019 dates, and we are fortunate enough to have done that one twice already...But other itineraries look great. We wanted to do the May TA this year but it’s the missed school days.

I agree with the poster who says you only live once. There is great educational value in traveling and my kid is a hands on learner. Tongue in cheek- Besides, I’d gladly skip all the fundraising assemblies and fundraising events during school hours. I’d gladly skip STAAR practice, pre-tests, and STAAR testing, which is all they do from January onward! I am homeschooling after school and on weekends because of this. Guess I am justifying hahaha!

I’m from an area where teachers were treated as professionals and permitted to use personal days when they wished, other than state testing dates (just like most university educated white collar professionals). Students were allowed to miss school for vacation except state testing dates (far shorter than in Texas), and got a great education anyway. You wrote a note, the teacher gave you assignments and said have fun, and the principal excused it as family travel. IMHO the rules here are murky and absurd. The TEA has guidelines yet then gives discretion to the school admin for days 1-9. The answers I am getting here are similar to parents in the same district- depends on your administration or we don’t tell and we go anyway. It’s an unpleasant surprise.

So maybe we’ll be sick! Or unenroll. Meh.

:rolleyes1
Because many parents are NOT capable of this. Just because one is a parent does not automatically mean they know or do what is best for their child. Being a great parent is admitting that at times you may not always know what is best for your child. This is why we havve professionals ( drs, teachers etc)
Not implying that parents who take their kids out of school are not good parents, but at some point schools need to set rules and guidelines for the greater good of children.

Then they should get rid of wasted days of STAAR testing. :stir::rotfl2:

When sailing our of Galveston about half the ship is usually Texan, at least in our experience.

Yes, we pull our kids out of school. Yes, we have gotten annoying letters from the district (starting after 5 unexcused absences). If you get over 10 here, Imight be called before a board. I have no doubt that I could appropriately justify experiential learning. I'm also fine with my kid attending 2 weeks of summer school if that is the price we have to pay for a Hawaiian vacation in Dec. However, since my oldest has straight A's, top 5% of her class, and reads 4 years above her grade level, I can't imagine how they could justify holding her back a year--almost makes me want to call their bluff. :rolleyes1

Life is short. Take the trip. Make the memories while you can. Those will have so much more impact on our kids' lives than one more week of school. Deal with the real consequences (if they ever come), but don't worry too much about the 'what if's'.
Exactly.

When I lived in TX in 2012 I pulled my daughter out of public school for the 5 school days after the week off for Thanksgiving for our WDW trip. I had to write a letter and have the principal approve it. We would have pulled her regardless of permission or not.

For our upcoming cruise, we're pulling our three daughters out of public school for a total of 12 school days not including weekends. We live in Colorado now.

Life's too short is the way we figure it! I was a public school teacher for 9 years in TX, and I always admired those families who pulled their kids out for vacations. Experiences are just as important as education.

Disneyworm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter