Thanksgiving worth it

bearette

DIS Veteran
We looked at an Orlando trip for US thanksgiving since our Europe trip is cancelled for Covid. With the holiday do we need to stay on site for benefits or purchase front of the line passes and stay off site still be an option?

It would be my kids first time there, both 8 (live near LA so we have done day trips to Hollywood). I’m just trying to decide if getting a nicer hotel with a car offsite would be better then staying on property.

initial planning stages and I’m concerned I’ll not stay on site and not get into a park or get in with 2 hour lines. Price is a consideration so I want to stay un $200 a night.
Thanks

Depends on your tolerance for standing in line and what it is worth to you to not have to stand in line. You can do single rider. We went with DH last summer and even though it was low attendance (due to Star wars opening at Disney) I knew with the heat and his arthritis in his feet, it was worth it to pay for the hotel and have an unlimited pass so he wouldn't have to stand for long periods of time.. If it was just our teen and I, we would have done single rider and stayed at a cheaper hotel. I'm not sure how busy it will be this thanksgiving. We are headed there for Halloween and are doing 1 night at Cabana Bay and 1 at Hard Rock (we paid less than $200) to get the passes for two days and early entrance for two days. Also If you buy 1 annual pass (which is the same cost of a few days of tickets) you can get a passholder rate at the hotels. I'm not sure if what the discount would be for holidays.

Last edited:
I don't think single rider is offered ... And the traffic to get into the parking lot is not worth any savings during the holidays!
The newer value resorts at Universal does offer shuttle service. I think it is called Endless Summer but Cabana Bay always makes me happy. Hope you can find a good deal. I always get frustrated with their website. But sounds like previous poster figured it out!

Wow I just checked Lowe’s for booking the Universal on site and found really cheap rate compared to what I booked last week...
$1275 is now $875 for Cabana Bay Family Suite Interior Entry pool view
12/23-12/28 !!! Maybe it’s not going to be crowded after all (haha).

Last edited:
We've been to UO twice during Thanksgiving and really enjoyed it. In fact, we are scheduled again for this Thanksgiving, with 4 nights at HRH and 3 at ES. It is hard to say what things will look like this year, but previous years were quite crowded. We had EPs both times and there were some times with 45+ minute waits.

If you will have 4-5 days in the parks, then you could get by without EPs by going in early to ride when the parks are relatively empty. Then take a break at lunchtime when the parks get crowded and come back later if the lines shorten.

Unfortunately, the APH rates appear to be gone for Thanksgiving. It was right around $200 per night at the deluxe hotels, which includes the EP. I would always try to stay onsite at UO if possible. Being able to take the bus or ferry to the park is great, making it a much more relaxing trip. You might even be able to avoid a rental car entirely.

We snagged a great APH rate at RPR for weekend after Thanksgiving this summer. I added a day recently at same rate. Those rates are gone now!
Some deluxe have a minimum night stay now too for that week/weekend.
For a holiday time I’d definitely stay onsite. We normally don’t - we will be there for a week in our timeshare resort before Universal part- but oldest daughter and her family wanted to try Universal. Told them only way we should go is if we stay onsite for express pass.
Looks like the parks are starting to get decorated for Christmas- I love Universal at the holidays as the decorate ALL of the park not just entry!

It will work out cheaper to stay at one of the hotels that’s includes Express Passes (Hard Rock or Royal Pacific). Staying there gets you EPs from check in through check out day.
Example- If you stay somewhere off property and pay $200/ night for 4 nights= $800. And EPs are ranging from $139-209 per person per day around Thanksgiving for 4 days, 3 people= $2040 on average. So, If Royal Pacific or Hard Rock are available and cheaper than $2840 then it’s the cheaper option. (That’s if you have 3 people- if there are 4 in your party the magic number is closer to $3500. And also if you are doing 4 nights/4 Park day’s).
Unfortunately there are minimum stay lengths onsite and things might be sold out.
You can certainly just buy EPs some of the days and deal with lines the rest of the time to save money. But, I think the parks will be really crowded.

We're at RPR for Thanksgiving (2 nights / 3 days) and can't wait. BTW, early hours at both parks for all 3 days for us allows us to get into the parks at 7AM!!!!!!! I'll sleep in AFTER vacation!!
Yes, this is great news. I swear I saw a couple weeks ago that it was 10am to 6 pm, so I was disappointed that we would not be able to be in the parks at night. With the parks open so long, we'll get to do our morning in the parks, afternoon at the resort/CityWalk, and evening back at the park routine. Even with EPs, I'm expecting very long waits mid-day, so I'd prefer to not be in the park then...

Yes, this is great news. I swear I saw a couple weeks ago that it was 10am to 6 pm, so I was disappointed that we would not be able to be in the parks at night. With the parks open so long, we'll get to do our morning in the parks, afternoon at the resort/CityWalk, and evening back at the park routine. Even with EPs, I'm expecting very long waits mid-day, so I'd prefer to not be in the park then...

Yeah, I saw it posted on Undercover Tourist but to be sure I went to USO's website to confirm and sure enough, parks are open at 8am all 3 days we're there and early admission hours are in effect at both parks those same 3 days which translates to 7am access for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!