The 2022 Disney Oscars

Luxurious_Lumiere

Mouseketeer
Hi folks!

In past years I've created a fun poll called the "Disney Oscars" where we can vote on the best of the best from the year in Disney movies. I took last year off because in addition to the pandemic, I was going through my own struggles: my partner of 8 years had his cancer get much worse. He passed away in March, and dealing with all of his health struggles before, during, and after his death left me with no energy for most things. But I'm happy to bring these back once more!

For background: I cover the Oscar season for an entertainment website. And one year I thought I would combine my day job with my nerdy love of all things Disney (especially since many Disney movies these days don't necessarily align with Academy members' tastes). The Disney Oscars were born!

Round One is selecting the nominees! Please click on the link below to complete a survey where you can vote for the nominees in our 7 categories. Voting for nominations will be open until December 30th. Once I tally the votes, I will announce the nominees and release a second survey to vote for the winners. (This will hopefully happen on 12/31, but since it promises to be a busy week at work, it may get pushed by a day or so). I know some of you played along in years past and enjoyed doing the preferential ballot for Best Picture (the same method the Academy currently uses), but unfortunately we will NOT be voting that way for Best Picture this year. Apparently, Survey Monkey has made "ranked choice" voting a paid subscription feature, and she does not have money to be throwing at Survey Monkey. So its a simple "choose your favorite 5" vote.

I know this isn't specifically LGBTQ themed...but since the Oscars are the gay super bowl, I figured it would be on brand for many of you =)

Have fun, happy voting, and may the best Disney film win!

VOTE FOR THE NOMINEES

THE NOMINATIONS ARE HERE!

My apologies for the delay, a busy holiday schedule took over my life. But the votes have been tabulated and a new survey link is included to vote for the winners! Without further ado, the nominees:

BEST DISNEY FILM
Cruella
Encanto
Jungle Cruise
Luca
Raya and the Last Dragon
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

BEST DIRECTOR
Cruella (Craig Gillespie)
Encanto (Jared Bush & Byron Howard)
Luca (Enrico Casarosa)
Raya and the Last Dragon (Don Hall & Carlos Lopez Estrada)
West Side Story (Steven Spielberg)

BEST SCREENPLAY
Cruella
Encanto
Luca
Raya and the Last Dragon
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

BEST LEAD PERFORMANCE
Emily Blunt, Jungle Cruise
Scarlett Johansson, Black Widow
Simu Liu, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Emma Stone, Cruella
Rachel Zegler, West Side Story

BEST SUPPORTING PERFORMANCE
Gemma Arterton, The King’s Man
Awkwafina, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Ariana DeBose, West Side Story
Joel Fry, Cruella
David Harbour, Black Widow
Salma Hayek, Eternals
Rita Moreno, West Side Story
Florence Pugh, Black Widow
Emma Thompson, Cruella
Rachel Weisz, Black Widow

BEST VOICE-OVER PERFORMANCE
Awkwafina, Raya and the Last Dragon (Sisu)
Stephanie Beatriz, Encanto (Mirabel)
Jack Dylan Grazer, Luca (Alberto)
Kelly Marie Tran, Raya and the Last Dragon (Raya)
Jacob Tremblay, Luca (Luca)

BEST SCORE
Cruella (Nicholas Britell)
Encanto (Lin-Manuel Miranda & Germaine Franco)
Eternals (Ramin Djawadi)
Jungle Cruise (James Newton Howard)
Luca (Dan Romer)
Raya and the Last Dragon (James Newton Howard)

VOTE FOR THE WINNERS

Some interesting observations:
*Voting was VERY close in several cases. Ties in Best Film and Best Score lead to 6 nominees in those categories.
*And West Side Story was a mere 2 votes away from a third tie in Best Film and becoming a seventh nominee there. Ironic that this movie missed out on our top category when it is by far Disney's biggest Oscar play of the season and has a real shot at winning Best Picture! It still made the cut for director and racked up 3 acting nominations.
*Another close voting heartbreak: poor Jodie Comer was just one vote away from the Lead Performance category. But since Disney botched the marketing and release...I assume not as many folks saw The Last Duel as they did the other movies.
*Supporting Performance had the most spread out votes of any category. On the flip side, Voice Over Performance had the most consolidated votes. Those five dominated everyone's selections, with Gemma Chan (Naamari in Raya and the Last Dragon) the only performance that approached their tallies.
*You all were NOT Eternals fans. EVERY contender received at least one vote for Best Disney Film, even the shorts, with the exception of Eternals. It didn't get a single vote towards the top category. Yikes! haha.

Nomination Breakdown by film:
7 - Cruella
6 - Luca
6 - Raya and the Last Dragon
5 - Encanto
4 - Black Widow
4 - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
4 - West Side Story
3 - Jungle Cruise
2 - Eternals
1 - The King’s Man

Now, go catch up on some Disney movies, consider your favorites, and vote for who YOU want to win at the link below by Friday January 28th at 12pm EST.
VOTE FOR THE WINNERS

I just voted!! :-) I'm not surprised about the Eternals. It wasn't bad, but it was overly ambitious with trying to give storyline for so many new main characters at once. It got better towards the end though. I am very interested to see how they will be incorporated into this new Marvel phase. Best Film category was a tough one!! From the 6 that were given, I got it down to Cruella for being the best live action remake Disney has done, Encanto for being the best animated, and Shang Chi for being the best Marvel. But then took a good 15 minutes debating myself between the 3 hahaha. I'm very interested to see what votes end up being at the end of the month! :-)

Thanks for voting Nelly! There is certainly a great crop of movies this year. There are some VERY close vote tallies still. So everyone be sure to vote for their favorites.

In other awards news: Disney did well at last night's Golden Globe Awards (though after the controversy they went through earlier in the year, there was no ceremony or acceptance speeches). West Side Story won for Best Comedy or Musical Film, Lead Actress in a Comedy or Musical (Rachel Zegler), and Supporting Actress (Ariana DeBose). Encanto took home Best Animated Film.

Hey movie fans: I'm closing up voting soon.

And we currently have ties in TWO categories. So get in there and cast your ballot soon! Your vote could be the deciding factor for your favorite movie or performance.

The time has come! Thank you to all who voted in my fun little fake awards. Without further ado, the winners:

BEST DISNEY FILM
Cruella
(runner up: Encanto)

BEST DIRECTOR
Craig Gillespie, Cruella
(runner up: Jared Bush & Byron Howard, Encanto)

BEST SCREENPLAY

Luca
(runner up: Encanto)

BEST LEAD PERFORMANCE
Emma Stone, Cruella

BEST SUPPORTING PERFORMANCE
Florence Pugh, Black Widow
(runner up: Ariana DeBose, West Side Story)

BEST VOICE OVER PERFORMANCE
Stephanie Beatriz, Encanto
(runner up: Jack Dylan Grazer, Luca)

BEST SCORE
Encanto

Win Totals

3 - Cruella
2 - Encanto
1 - Black Widow
1 - Luca

There was some intensely close voting, so I decided to list runners up as well. For instance, Cruella edged out Encanto for Best Disney Film by a SINGLE vote! I didn't list runners up for Lead Performance or Score because Emma Stone and Encanto, respectively, blew every other nominee out of the water with their vote tallies that no one else was remotely close.

Thanks for playing everyone. Are you happy with the results? Hopefully some of our favorite winners here are destined for real life Oscars in March!

I strangely don't see any news articles about it on The Dis, but Disney scored at last night's Oscars! These are the wins for the company:

Best Animated Feature: Encanto
Best Documentary Feature: Summer of Soul
Best Lead Actress: Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Best Supporting Actress: Ariana DeBose, West Side Story
Best Costume Design: Jenny Beavan, Cruella
Best Makeup & Hairstyling: Linda Dowds, Stephanie Ingram, Justin Raleigh, The Eyes of Tammy Faye

Congrats to the winners!

(if only they had submitted "We Dont Talk About Bruno"...or really ANY other song from Encanto for consideration, Lin would have likely beaten Billie Eilish for Best Song. Alas, it wasnt meant to be for Dos Oruguitas")

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter