The 3 Kid Contract Kerfuffel...

PedroD

Earning My Ears
Ugh...I thought I had figured out the right plan here but I think I have created a mess. So our deal is that we were going to buy three base contracts at VGF of equal point value, each one deeded with one of our three kids names on the contract. Then, we were going to either add on some more points at VGF to each contract or potentially get an additional contract at Riviera after we stay there in a few weeks. All contracts will be in same use year and we are in ROFR on the first two contracts (lurking for the last one when the points are right). We just don't know if we want two home resorts yet or just VGF.

We wanted the kids deeded separately to avoid any hassles with probate if something happened to me and my wife. But now I understand that these three initial contracts, each one deeded to Mom/Dad/one particular child, will have different membership numbers and have to be manually combined each year with DVC to combine points...and that can only happen one time each year, which won't allow us to pool all points each year?

Our plan is use ALL combined points for family vacations for another 15-20 years and then eventually divvy them up so the kids can manage their own points with their families when we are decrepit and too grumpy to go to the parks (my nickname is 'Carl' btw...).

So I think it would have been smarter to buy each base contract and include ALL family members names on each contract? That way I think they can be combined together to one membership number and there is no need to manually combine points? It also gives us the flexibility to sell one or more contracts easier than if we had bought one big contract with 3x the points.

Then, after 15-20 years when we want to just divide up the points and let the kids manage their own portion with their families, we can go through a process to isolate each contract to each particular child form what I understand.

Sounds like we can still accomplish this with the two contracts we are in ROFR for, but I just want to make sure this new strategy makes more sense for what we are trying to accomplish.

Ugh.

Buy them all in your & spouse's name. Use a Will or TOD ( transfer on death) designation to give to children. Consider a trust if you don't live in Florida ( generally avoids need to go through probate). You need a lawyer's advice. IMO, this is too complicated to try to do yourself without interfering with ease of use now.

Don't leave it all to kids to use jointly. That's a recipe for conflict.

Good luck!

We did add our kids to our SSR contract last year so we could buy RIV with them as owners and keep in the same UY. This gave them all the blue card benefits.

We did do it as joint owners with tenancy in common which allows them to use them all together and as a group. But after talking with them and knowing our own children, we felt comfortable with this,

We also have another membership that Is just in my and DHS name which we will figure out later.

But, as mentioned, to use together, all owners need to be the same so it might be better to just buy in your own names now and figure it out later when you have all you want. You can change owners later for a small amount so really, you have time.

I feel like we’re in a similar situation @PedroD in that we’ve got awhile before the deeds need to be in our kids’ names. I also wholeheartedly agree with @we"reofftoneverland ...it is so much easier to manage everything yourself when it’s still yours! My hubby & I own jointly, and we’ll deal with divvying up contracts when the time comes.

(& yes- having completely different deeding of your contracts would almost certainly make combining points a nightmare for the next 1-2 decades. :badpc:)

I was told by my guide that you can't put your kids on the deeds if they are minors.

As others have said, just divide your membership into 3 contracts, with just you and your spouse. That way, it's all 1 membership and no need to manually combine points. Down the road, amend the deeds to add the kids.

OK...good advice all around. My kids are all adults....but probably it is best to take them off all contracts so we can still be the controlling parents on some aspect of their lives! pirate:

We have to re-do our Will anyway, so we will just add this to the list of things to amend/clarify.

I have 3 kids who were minors when I joined so they were associates....now as adults I've added them all to my contract...cost a few bucks, but very easy. They will all get along as far as DVC goes or I will come back to haunt them.
Do associate members have access to epcot lounge?

You need to talk to your estate attorney. There are a lot of ways to do this, including holding the contracts in a corporation or a trust.

Probating real estate in Florida is not the same thing as probating a corporation/trust in your state that happens to own real estate in Florida, even multiple real estate purchases in FL.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your difficulties with your children’s separate contracts.

We bought three direct contracts with equal amount of points at VGC in 2010 to leave to each of our kids.
My husband and I had a trust drawn in 2008, so we titled the three contacts in our trust name. When the trust was drawn, our third child was not born yet, but the trust entitles all of our kids (named and unnamed) to have equal shares of our current, as well as future assets. Our trust also included a health directive and a will for us both. The trust really does give you a peace of mind in protecting your family and kids.
However, when an Aulani subsidized resale contract showed up at a very reasonable price, all of our careful future planning went out the window. We bought one big Aulani contract (points almost equal to our three contracts combined) along with a different use year.
The Aulani contract is also titled in our trust name but it’s not going to be easily divisible.
We hope they will figure it out when the time comes. Until then, we’ll keep making fun family memories together as long as we can.

We're thinking of a DVC purchase. We have 2 adult daughters. I'm thinking we'll just put them on the deed. They get along, and we always travel in a pack, so I don't foresee trouble. I'd like them to have "blue"cards if possible

We're thinking of a DVC purchase. We have 2 adult daughters. I'm thinking we'll just put them on the deed. They get along, and we always travel in a pack, so I don't foresee trouble. I'd like them to have "blue"cards if possible

There's more than one way to do this, including a corporate entity or a trust. You don't have to own joint real estate with them to achieve this goal. You can talk to your estate lawyer to come up with a plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter