The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

Hey All,

Yep, life if certainly crazy these days. I can't even begin to count the ways. But, here's a personal update on what's going on in my corner; which leads me to say... I'd love to hear about how each of you is weathering these times of change, which I'm sure has led to some self-reflection and prioritizing.

My primary workplace, an ambulatory surgical center, has shuttered until further notice. A big portion of our business is elective surgeries which aren't happening anymore. That means anything that does not directly affect preservation of life or limb is on hold. No carpal tunnel repairs, no new b00bies, no kids getting their rotten teeth fixed, and no hysterectomies, etc... I have NO idea when we'll re-open; I don't think ANYONE here in the US knows when things will get back to regular business or normal life. Not the gubment, not even the experts who are really all over the board on this. So, I wait. Just like many of you, I wait to get back to that job.

Meanwhile, I am picking up as many hours as I can safely work at my other job at the local small hospital. My normal unit, the Phase 2 recovery room, where we also do infusions (but not chemo), blood transfusions, and emergent procedures, etc... is also mostly shutdown except, again, urgently needed surgeries. SO... I am mostly being called off in that unit. HOWEVER, I'm being oriented to the Senior Behavioral Health Unit (SBHU) starting tomorrow so that will give me some payola that I really need these days. That's the senior's psych unit we have with 10 beds.

Also, I've picked up manning the single entry to the hospital for screenings from 0000-0400. Since I'll be right there as the first face for every person that walks thru the door, including employees, during those hours (there aren't many, but it only takes one) I am thankful for the mask that Jenn, @Chrystmasangel is sewing for me!

Yeah, it's boring as heck, but hey, I'll take that time to study for that certification in Perianesthesia Nursing I've been wanting to get. Getting paid to study? SURE! I'll take that in a hot minute. So, while not ideal, I certainly cannot complain; I'm blessed to have work at all in these uncertain times.

So... tell me how you are all doing!!! Working? Resting? Watching TV? Cleaning? Stress eating? (I am) Crafts? Projects?

I will do another update/chapter while I do my regular 24-hour Recovery Room call this Saturday. Until then... Carry on and let's chat!!

Yep, life if certainly crazy these days.
Oh? Hadn't noticed.

:rolleyes1

no new b00bies,
nooo.gif
I don't think ANYONE here in the US knows when things will get back to regular business or normal life.
Nor anywhere else.
HOWEVER, I'm being oriented to the Senior Behavioral Health Unit (SBHU) starting tomorrow so that will give me some payola that I really need these days. That's the senior's psych unit we have with 10 beds.
Glad to hear you're able to pick up elsewhere!
Also, I've picked up manning the single entry to the hospital for screenings from 0000-0400.
Wait... So you're picking up two new jobs? One from midnight to 4am... and then you work during the day????

:faint:
Since I'll be right there as the first face for every person that walks thru the door, including employees, during those hours (there aren't many, but it only takes one) I am thankful for the mask that Jenn, @Chrystmasangel is sewing for me!
Wait. Stop.
Are you telling me that you are seeing people in a hospital... including doing screenings... and you don't have a mask?????????
Getting paid to study? SURE!
Well... that's a plus.
So... tell me how you are all doing!!! Working? Resting? Watching TV? Cleaning? Stress eating? (I am) Crafts? Projects?
Working. But drastically changed.
Not as drastic as working from home, or not working at all, but...
Shifts are being moved around to limit exposure to co-workers. We're also being split into two separate crews so if someone on one crew gets sick, the other crew can move in and keep working. Half our room is covered in plastic. When the B crew comes in, they'll unwrap that and clean and disinfect where we were and wrap that in plastic until we return.

orry, Uni, Disney has you upped with the MB. Carrying a zillion cards is passé and a hassle.
For sure, and if you do their dining plan EACH person gets a card for EACH day you have the plan :faint:
But the missing element, if we must compare, and we must, was a palpable lack of sharp attention to detail- detail in maintenance, cleanliness of the general grounds… it’s hard to put one’s finger on it. Wherever I traveled around the UniWorld, I felt a decided lack of that “magic” only found in the House of Mouse.
Agree 100% and that's a big reason I'm not a big Uni fan. I've toured all the resorts and stayed at 3; I do like them. I think in some ways their "value" resorts trump Disney's values. But I never get that "feeling" there, in the resorts or parks, and that's what makes Disney special ❤
The Harbor from a distance is pretty fantastico.
It is pretty!
Would you rather see Disney stick to the tradition of making a world away from the world inside its resort rooms, or do you prefer the cleaner, sleeker look of the new trend?

I don't like the new rooms much. CSR rooms are ok and the storage is nice but overall I prefer the Uber theming or even the mild theming some had that's gone too. I also was a fan of the carpeting as it felt cozier but understand why they've done away with it.

Sounds like you're weathering this virus thing ok! I'm hanging in, working, waiting for the travel industry to be back on its feet 🌏 It's a bit hard for the kids especially Ricky as a senior, not knowing when or if he'll go back to school and what will be up with graduation, but we take it day by day which is all any of us can do. Stay well my friend!

Do you live in an area that doesn't have a large number of Covid-19 cases? We are in the Chicago suburbs, so most of the cases are in the city. We have a stay at home order for the entire state and that is what we are doing. :)

We stayed 1 night at Portofino Bay in August and really enjoyed the room, resort, Sals pizza, and the boats to the parks.
We really love HP and enjoy visiting USO, however, 1-2 nights is plenty for us. Disney is so different for us, we can stay there for 10 nights and feel like we need more.
I really like the refurbished rooms and new rooms at Disney. I feel the themes in the parks all day are so wonderful that a room should have more subtle hints of Disney. I found so many wonderful Disney themes mixed in at Gran Destino, the wallpaper in the room, the carpet in the halls, the pictures mixed in the lobby and the mosaic murals at Riviera are beautiful.
I am not a huge fan of the all white everywhere that does get old! I cannot take a bath in a hotel, phobia thing, 1 weird looking hair and I freak so the big showers with rainfall heads are something I love.
We stayed at AoA the first year it was open and the heavy cumbersome bedspreads on the LM beds were awful. They were stiff and just slid off the bed, so those were not the answer either. They were definitely themed though so there is that.
We as nurses here at our hospital are navigating the new protocols, procedures, and policies. I work for a hospital based home care and I am a team leader of 1 of the home care teams. I mainly precept new RN’s, triage, do the assignments, and field all the calls! I still see some patients at home, however, not many anymore. I can’t work from home and we carry on. Take care and be careful out there!!

Thank you for being one of those unsung heroes in all of this, putting yourself in jeopardy for the good of others' health. And how amazing is @Chrystmasangel ?! I just wanted to reach through my Facebook and hug her yesterday when I saw her post :lovestruc Glad she's literally got you covered...your face at least!

We are navigating the new world of e-learning at our house. There is a reason I do not teach 5th grade on a regular basis. I am trying to provide resources to my Kindergarten families, while trying to keep Jimmy working and focused all day. And trying to keep my husband busy and away from us!! P.E. teachers don't have to provide remote learning...#jealous.

I really thought we would have more time in our day for outdoor activities, arts and crafts and fun once the work was done, but it is really taking Jimmy the same amount of time or more than a regular school day to get things done. And by that time, I am so mentally exhausted from the day that I don't want to do anything.

The only good to come of this so far has been the fact that I dusted, built 2 bookshelves and organized one closet and two bedrooms. And I've finally finished reading Orange is the New Black, which I have had collecting dust on my nightstand for over a year.

I'd love to hear about how each of you is weathering these times of change, which I'm sure has led to some self-reflection and prioritizing.

Wow, it's crazytown to be sure!! There is indeed a lot of time for thinking and self-reflection, although that also can lead to anxiety in my case, so...there's also a lot of distraction going on too!

So, while not ideal, I certainly cannot complain; I'm blessed to have work at all in these uncertain times.

Complain away lol!! Kidding. But yeah you are lucky to have transferable skillz like that in these crazy times. But also yeah, I'd be happy to have a mask too.

Well without droning on for too long...I'm ....coping. Alternating between panic one minute, and then trying to be optimistic and calming for the sake of those younger people around me, and then back to just trying to get through it. It's funny because I don't know about you but I always used to think how great it would be to have all this time on my hands with nothing to do, and all these projects I'd try to get done. Now that it's happening....I have done some of them - my closets have never looked so good, and I've never made so many home cooked meals, but I find it hard to focus on anything that requires more than partial concentration. And so many of the little things I had wanted to get done just don't seem important anymore.

I've watched a lot of Netflix, but even that, I find it hard to sit through a whole episode. I've done a lot of zoom calls, some for work, some for fun with friends as virtual coffee dates and such. Since I work in the travel business...not much happening there right now!! Other than the cancellations of course...but I am done with those for a while hopefully...most of everything for me has been cancelled until well into summer. I am very fortunate in that I have investments and other sources of income to rely on right now, because if the travel business was it...well I'd have that to worry about too. I've had to do a lot more meal planning in advance than I'm used to as a result of this though - something that I always hoped to learn to be better at!! Because I was the type to go to the grocery store (that is literally a 5 minute walk from my house) about three or four times a week, and just walk back with as much as I needed for a few meals at a time. Now I have to order groceries online and can't get a delivery for over two weeks...so I have to make it count!! So. Learning things for sure!

I hope you and your family stay safe, and you are so brave for working during this crazy time!

Check-in went smoothly; my ticket, Max Pass, and room key were given. Sorry, Uni, Disney has you upped with the MB. Carrying a zillion cards is passé and a hassle. Yes, I bought a lanyard prior to going of my House- Hufflepuff. It brought back, in some ways, fond memories of the Lanyard Age when I first started going to Disney. I made my merry way to my room and it took a while as I had to walk a fair ways. As with all resorts at both Disney and Uni, rooms that are in the next zip code have both advantages and disadvantages- while they are indeed quieter, they take an egregious toll on one’s tootsies after a long day in the parks.
One day I will get over to the dark side. Even just for an overnight so I can finally do all things HP!
The walk to the room was lovely despite it’s distance. I got my first immersion into the beautiful harbor they’ve created, and I couldn’t help but to smile as I took it all in. However, before taking in too much, I continued on to my room where, I cannot lie, I instantly fell in with it. It was clean, bright and comfortable. Here and there were some understated prints of Portofino, Italy. There were plain white linens, solid green and white décor, a big mirror over the marble-topped little table and that’s about it.
Such a lovely room!
ended up at BICE to continue my Italian experience. Upscale for sure, but I was MORE than looking forward to a glass of red wine on the open-air balcony overlooking the harbor with a carefree evening ahead of me. When I arrived I peeked out onto the balcony seating area and there were 2 open tables, one against the railing, and one a little further back.

And one party of 2 ahead of me.

Guess who got the one by the rail?

Correct. It wasn’t me.
Too bad! I hope you enjoyed your evening. Your food (especially that buratta) looked divine!
What is YOUR opinion on this shift? Really there are no wrong answers here and no one is going to flame you either way!!
I prefer the cleaner, more streamlined look as I like my Disney on the subtle, understated side. That being said, would it kill them to throw a runner on the beds??
So, I wait. Just like many of you, I wait to get back to that job.
I feel you...... I got a letter from one of my kindergartners today that broke my heart. I miss them so much! We are getting paid until April 3rd then will see what happens after that.
Also, I've picked up manning the single entry to the hospital for screenings from 0000-0400. Since I'll be right there as the first face for every person that walks thru the door, including employees, during those hours (there aren't many, but it only takes one) I am thankful for the mask that Jenn, @Chrystmasangel is sewing for me!
WHY is Jenn sewing you a mask???? Where are the supplies for trained medical staff????
All of the above! I am catching up on some projects. Jamie and I are doing a Harry Potter marathon. I am deep cleaning my house room by room and organizing all the cupboards etc. Totally stress eating... especially with leftover birthday cake from the twins readily available. They turned 18 on Sunday. My babies are men........
Sounds like you're weathering this virus thing ok! I'm hanging in, working, waiting for the travel industry to be back on its feet 🌏 It's a bit hard for the kids especially Ricky as a senior, not knowing when or if he'll go back to school and what will be up with graduation, but we take it day by day which is all any of us can do. Stay well my friend!
I think of you a lot Ariane as Ricky is in the same boat as Stuart and Jamie. Not easy for our boys!
We as nurses here at our hospital are navigating the new protocols, procedures, and policies. I work for a hospital based home care and I am a team leader of 1 of the home care teams. I mainly precept new RN’s, triage, do the assignments, and field all the calls! I still see some patients at home, however, not many anymore. I can’t work from home and we carry on. Take care and be careful out there!!
Be careful Caroline (I know you will be) Stay safe!
We are navigating the new world of e-learning at our house. There is a reason I do not teach 5th grade on a regular basis. I am trying to provide resources to my Kindergarten families, while trying to keep Jimmy working and focused all day. And trying to keep my husband busy and away from us!! P.E. teachers don't have to provide remote learning...#jealous.
Let me know if you want to collaborate on kindie resources as I teach kindergarten too. I know the kindie system is more academic in the US than Canada but I may have some stuff that would be helpful for you.
Well without droning on for too long...I'm ....coping. Alternating between panic one minute, and then trying to be optimistic and calming for the sake of those younger people around me, and then back to just trying to get through it. It's funny because I don't know about you but I always used to think how great it would be to have all this time on my hands with nothing to do, and all these projects I'd try to get done. Now that it's happening....I have done some of them - my closets have never looked so good, and I've never made so many home cooked meals, but I find it hard to focus on anything that requires more than partial concentration. And so many of the little things I had wanted to get done just don't seem important anymore.
I know... it's not an easy time. I find the projects helpful for my mental health as I feel there is something I can control. Walks and yoga help a lot too. Hope the kids are adjusting to their new reality a little more these days. :)

Usually unused vacation days undergo utilization. Under-resting, under-relaxing, and under-destressing away from usual undertakings result in ultimate burnout. Understandably, I usurp those unusually unused days and take unforgettable vacations until my underfinanced bank account cries “UNCLE!”.

Unbelievable!

Let’s get on with understanding the unusual Universes u can find until I run out of underwear.

So that's, what? Like, a day?

Sorry, Uni, Disney has you upped with the MB. Carrying a zillion cards is passé and a hassle.

Agree there. Juggling passes is not fun. Didn't like the locker system either.

Let’s face it though, the days of Disney resort rooms being heavily themed and “fun” are also over, my friends. Sterile and boring are now the sad reality. Sorry, that was all lost in the name of “clean” and “less wear and tear”. I much preferred the swag of the jewel toned bedspreads at POFQ and the obnoxious, bright colored carpets with hidden Mickeys in pretty much every resort. Did we lose some of what made DISNEY resorts Disney in our pursuit of the other?

Yeah...nothing but white sheets are boring. I get that it's cheaper, but not nearly as fun

Wherever I traveled around the UniWorld, I felt a decided lack of that “magic” only found in the House of Mouse.

::yes::

I love the color palette, the little tethered boats bobbing on the water and the shutters and balconies against the buildings surrounding the public square.

Looks beautiful!

The trouble is, the boats were filled with overgrown weeds and the shutters and balconies were only painted on rather than being real. That’s what I meant about lacking that attention to quality and authenticity.

Oh. That's a bummer.

Would you rather see Disney stick to the tradition of making a world away from the world inside its resort rooms, or do you prefer the cleaner, sleeker look of the new trend?

Give me the theming all day long. That's what makes Disney magic work. The new style is...well, boring. I'm not paying these exorbitant prices for a regular hotel room.

Finally checking in here. Glad you found another nursing spot, but I figured there would be openings. Wish I didn't need to be happy that a friend is making you a mask!

For us, we are hanging in pretty well. Our big project was cleaning and reorganizing the basement so we now have 4 workstations, for us and the kids. (Tho dd's is mainly an art station - she does her school stuff in a big comfy chair in the family room, lol). Thankfully, we actually have projects going on with the architecture firm that we can work on from home. Ds's college is doing distance learning for the rest of the semester, and dd is doing e-learning at least until April 8, tho I'm guessing it will be longer. We are grateful that we actually don't have more disruption in our lives. Dd is a sophomore, and not in lots of big school activities. She has still doing her Pokemon tournaments, but she aged up to the next age category this year, so she didn't have big expectations, which is good, since all events are on hold until at least May 14 - and quite likely longer. She has friends who are seniors who are missing lots of events and final seasons of things who are much more upset.

R is for: Ristorante Maria and Enzo’s with a side of Disney Springs

We have a fair bit to go, Dear Readers, with our Disney Adventures. Not to mention, I haven’t even gotten to my Uni portion yet, so bear with me as we trudge on. I hope you are not getting bogged down with reading this drivel and still find some level of entertainment as we hop, skip, and jump from place to place.

This particular update seems coincidentally relevant as I watch my cruise and trip to Italy possibly go up in smoke. Italy’s on my mind. So is the trip insurance I just added. :rolleyes2 More than a little bit glad I did that. So, yeah, this update directly ties into that trip scheduled for September… but we’ll get to that. First, let’s stroll a little….

After we got all checked into the Poly and had a day at the pool, and I swear we’re gonna get to that, we headed to The Springs, affectionately still called DTD by the diehards.

(Might be my new favorite DTD photo.)

We had a couple of hours to kill which is an unfortunate euphemism to use as you’ll see in a minute. My kids’ most firmly planted memory of DTD, as with many of yours I imagine, is of the Lego Store. Heck, it’s also one of mine. The oversized creations still rock my 10-year old self, and I could spend quite a while just browsing and geeking out. So we did. *Photo overload imminent*

(I was just getting into this series so this was super fun to see.)

I was having a ball, until it happened. I got one of those kinds of “cramps”. You know what I’m talking about… it’s the kind that makes you break out in a sweat, wonder what foul thing you ingested to make your knees weak, and to start looking for a place to die in agonized glory, writhing in tachycardic panic. Waves of faintness washed over me as I ran from the store in search of the nearest private place to suffer. Yes, I literally wondered if I’d make it without having to purchase a $500 Disney set of new clothing. (I usually save that for nights I wine pair. The clothes buying part that is.) Luckily, there is a restroom next door to Amorette’s just by the Lego Store and for the next… while, I sat contemplating the meaning of life and planning my funeral.

After 5 eternities, it passed.

I weakly made my way into Amorette’s and asked for some water, told the cashier I wasn’t feeling well, found a table to sit at without passing out, and sipped my water. I texted the kids, who still sucked at not hearing their phones, and slowly recovered from whatever sudden scourge I had. I am guessing…. just an educated guess… that I had become somewhat dehydrated and had lost enough electrolytes that it caused the cramps and other “unfortunate” symptoms, weakness, etc… and needed to simply replace them. In which case water wasn’t really the cure. Sure, it’d help, but I also needed some salts. What better place than at a Disney restaurant where salt is king? Pro-tip: Don’t be an idiot like me. Stay hydrated so you can play longer.

(Apparently, I was just enough better to take a picture of the Fall dome cake. :rolleyes: )

Luckily, I was able to avoid an embarrassing EMS encounter, or worse, and made my way back to the Lego Store where my kids were obliviously engaged in making cool stuff while their mother was dying. No big deal.

Even after a perilous encounter with the Grim Reaper I can find the desire to stuff my face with Italian food. This was another new place for me and I’m here to give you all details of our experience here. You can find Maria and Enzo’s over near the Edison, STK, etc… Along the way, you might run into some street entertainment. Clearly she was happy that I was alive and well enough to spend a day’s worth of salary on another meal in Disney.

Maria and Enzo’s has a cute backstory that makes sense once inside. According to sources such as this one:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando...sney-springs-italian-restaurant-trio-and.html

Maria and Enzo are very successful restauranteurs who make the most of their 3 dining locations, Enzo's Hideaway, Maria and Enzo's, and Pizza Ponte. Their Italian restaurant, located in a converted air terminal is really well done in a retro, Art Deco style. I love the bright, open space with the travel poster art lining the walls. Even more, I love that it is staffed with real Italians.

We were seated in an exceptional booth along a mirrored wall that helped us enjoy a less crowded and stuffy feeling experience. Nothing at all was pretentious or upscale about this place, but it was far more than a cafeteria-style atmosphere as well. Our server was very friendly and had the most delicious accent. She was training another young lady who was charged with pouring waters, removing wine glasses etc… The menu is pretty straight forward with standard Italian fare:

https://allears.net/dining/menu/maria-enzo/lunch-dinner/

As a group we decided on 3 main dishes, one of which I don’t see on the menu anymore. My kids are weird and actually love eggplant, so we got an order of Eggplant Parmesan:

this:

Torchio al Pollo- Spiral-shaped Pasta, Roasted Chicken Ragu, Toasted Garlic, Parmesan Cream Sauce $26.00

and:

Pollo alla Parmigiana- Lightly Breaded Chicken Breast, topped with Tomato Sauce, Fior di Latte Mozzarella, and Parmigiano-Reggiano $31.00

All 3 were slightly above average and certainly filling. None of the dishes were greasy, over salted, or lacking in flavor and, in general, we all enjoyed our meal in terms of food. Clearly, the presentation could use a little work.

Our server convinced us to be skeptical of how far these would go and we caved to the suggested up-sell with a side order of spaghetti which was DEFINTELY sub-par. Dry and bland could best describe it. We could have definitely done without the extra $8 charge and I’d have happily spent that money on a glass of wine. And should have… except I almost died in a bathroom stall an hour before this.

Just as our meal was served, that we ate family style from the extra plates our servers brought, a violinist strolled down the stairs to serenade the tables. When he made our way to our table, we encouraged him to linger by requesting some out of the ordinary, non-Disney selections. Sorry to anyone who was thrust from their Disney bubble while he played Mikki’s request of Vivaldi, Anara’s request of Lord of the Rings, and the one other tune that I can’t remember what was right now. His time was well rewarded with a sizable tip. And I’d pay it again in a New York minute as it really added to the overall enjoyment of our meal.

Towards the end of our time in Maria and Enzo’s a balloon artist arrived and was certainly doing enough business to pay his bills. We watched him make a ton of animals for tables with kids and even made a birthday crown for a lady in the group of older adults sitting next to us. That probably made up for an entire tray of full wine glasses a different server spilled just after he left. Not gonna lie, that was a colossal show in and of itself. I can assure you management was very present.

Now here is why my visit to M&Es is perfectly relevant to my trip and current world events. During the course of the evening, our server joked a bit about making sure we "Fare la scarpetta" 'd. In Italian that means to sop up the sauces and “finish” the meal using the bread. That got me to talking about my dream of one day visiting Italy. This was before I had committed to the Italy and Greek Isles Cruise with Karilynn. (I think?) Anyhow, I asked her if she could mention any special places I should visit in Italy that were “off the beaten path”. She exclaimed, “Come to MY village!!”. She told me of 2 places and I knew for certain I’d never remember them, so had her write them down on a piece of paper for me. I saved them, and just last week researched them both.

When or if my trip happens, I will almost for sure will visit one or both. Words cannot even begin to describe how completely excited I am to visit this place especially.

View attachment 480941
(Alberobello)

I mean…. WOW!!!!

That unique architecture is only found in that particuar region of Puglia, Italy and are called "Trulli". Fantastico! No? The punchlineis that this absolutely unique and wonderful place would never have been on my radar at all had I not had that Providential encounter with that CM.

I hope by September this out-of-control situation, all politics and TP hoarding bologna aside, is over and our cruise will go on as planned (and almost paid off). While my immune system could, my nerves can’t handle it.

We were far too full for dessert and ended up taking “home” the entire order of spaghetti we didn’t need. We settled up our bill and the kids were antsy to head out ahead of me for some reason that I cannot remember at the time. Maybe for Anara to hat shop? I wandered to the back towards the bathrooms, used them, (no surprise there), and found some interesting art and photographs that nicely supported the storyline of the restaurant. Antique images of the glory days of luxury airline travel lined the walls and this amazing Edison-style fixture caught my eye.

(Super blurry, sorry! But included it to give you more of an idea.)

View attachment 480957
When done admiring the decor, I stopped a manager-looking type and told him I was looking for the speakeasy "secret entrance" I'd heard rumors about.

"Oh, I think you're looking for this door.", as he led me to an obscure door in that area. Thanking him, I popped through not knowing where exactly it'd spit me out, and found myself looking at this:

Anyhow, Maria and Enzo’s? Here are my thoughts:

Now… don’t get me wrong. I absolutely would not dissuade anyone from going to Maria and Enzo’s.

But!

For much better Italian FOOD at The Springs, my recommendation would be for Terralina. For sure! But here is where M&E’s has an edge.

I love that the staff is Italian. It added to my personal overall enjoyment because it made the backstory of the place come alive. Disney for me takes me from my ordinary, everyday life into a fantasy of sorts where, sure it’s not real, but it is different. M&E’s has some live entertainment that adds something more to the meal and that certainly has value. It is a brighter and more casual feeling which I think might be better for families. Terralina, on the other hand, has outdoor, waterside seating which is nice, and has a more romantic feel to it. As mentioned, it also beats out M&Es for food quality. Perhaps it is like comparing apples to oranges with seeds being the only likeness, but those are my thoughts on both.

A word on this TR. I was taking stock on the material I still have to cover, should there be continued interest in reading. Some of those chapters would include: Teppan Edo, Spice Road Table, Wilderness Lodge, Droid building, some Food and Wine stuff, my entire Universal trip, the Poly, more AK stuff (cuz you just can’t get enough of that), and other misc stuff. There is no trip for me planned right now, as I’ve chosen to take the year off and travel to other places. But, I love the writing process, this TR gets me to edit my photos, keeps me connected with my friends, all of you whom I consider to be such, and it’s something to do while I am on-call these weekends. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I appreciate all of you who continue to stick with me and find this trip report still worthy of paying attention to. I hope that you find the material interesting, relevant, and enjoyable to read. Thank you!

Since I chose to stay here in the hospital rather than go home and risk not being able to get here in my 30-minute show up agreement, I have nothing but quiet and time to write and edit, I am actually hoping I can even get another chapter up today. We shall see… 😊 I live just over that 30-minute drive and there is always the chance I could get called in... more than once. It’s just not worth it to go home and have to turn right back around. So, I’ve got my pillow, my blankie, my overnight bag and a hospital-sized stash of TP. And since apparently that’s all you need to be prepared for a respiratory virus I’m all good.
I love your updates! Please keep writing them! Since so many of us are on the front lines of this virus, it is great to escape to a place of happiness after 12+ hours of living in uncertainty and PPE!
Thanks for writing these! 😷

A little bit of all of the above, I guess! Aside from working, that is. Most of Nathan's work has been covid-cancelled. I was in the hiring process of a temporary school-based job that seemed quite promising, but before the contract was officially offered all the schools were closed and it's unclear whether the position will even exist anymore by the time things begin to settle down. So I've been grieving that opportunity, especially now that we have very little income coming in on Nathan's side. I've had to cancel both our upcoming trips (spring/summer,) because we can't afford them anymore (and because the May trip was unlikely to be safe or even possible at this point anyway.) Most of my family lives in other houses, so I haven't seen much of them. But there have been a few happy things amidst the anxiety and sadness. For one, Nathan and I are spending more time together, as we're both social distancing together in the same house, so we get to do things we normally wouldn't, like doing a lot more watching movies and cooking together. I've also been having fun doing some crafting and colouring, and putting together little letters and drawings to snail-mail to friends. I have time to cook real meals, and to make better use of our treadmill. And our snow is beginning to melt. So there's been a bit of light in the darkness. I'm grateful to read your updates, and I hope that you continue to stay safe and healthy, Liesa! <3

I have mixed feelings about the dumbing down of the Disney cutesy elements in some of the resorts. I don't need to see Mickey and Minnie and cute little Bambi's. I am fine with gorgeous showers replacing the tubs I never used. I like practical and convenient and classy. But I do like a little theming, too. I like WL to have a lodge theme and POR Riverside Alligator Bayou to have a little different theme than POR-Mansions have. But the theme parks have enough theming for me. :)

I don't like the overstated, glaring, in-your-face decor styles at the resort rooms either, but as others have said, understated , themes that align with the overall theme of each resort. But sadly, even that I see is going away. Now it's all white, white, white, with boring muted colors and hardly even a hidden Mickey anywhere. I mean, I want something that sets these rooms apart from any other Ramada Inn or Holiday Inn.

Our daughter who is a nurse is stressed and extremely busy in her management role of making sure there are adequate supplies at her hospital. Our heart goes out to her and all the medical people who are so very important right now. :)
I hope your daughter finds time and the resources she herself needs to rest and rejuvenate during these stressful and busy times! Self-care is going to be very big for med folks in the coming weeks. I know ICU and med-surg is busy now, but my depts (surgery and mental health are going to be even moreso as we play catch up with everything that was delayed and the mental health surge we'll see as a result of this. I've seen communities rally together and that will go a long way in making health care workers feel valued and cared for.

Oh? Hadn't noticed.

:rolleyes1

Really? It's like all over the news.

And Facebook.

And the internet.

And the papers.

And every conversation everywhere.

I'm frankly surprised it hasn't been done in skywriting. :rolleyes:

nooo.gif

That's what the ladies who were all lined up to get them are saying. I mean, maybe for them it's an essential service.... ? :duck:

Glad to hear you're able to pick up elsewhere!

This might be my last week of getting to do that. It's literally week by week here. And most other places I'd imagine.

Wait... So you're picking up two new jobs? One from midnight to 4am... and then you work during the day????

:faint:

Correct.

Wait. Stop.
Are you telling me that you are seeing people in a hospital... including doing screenings... and you don't have a mask?????????

I will have one now. I won't need one in the psych unit, but yeah, manning the front table as the only entrance to the hospital it might be nice for. Posting a photo of what came in the mail after I'm done with replies...

Working. But drastically changed.
Not as drastic as working from home, or not working at all, but...
Shifts are being moved around to limit exposure to co-workers. We're also being split into two separate crews so if someone on one crew gets sick, the other crew can move in and keep working. Half our room is covered in plastic. When the B crew comes in, they'll unwrap that and clean and disinfect where we were and wrap that in plastic until we return.

I'm not sure there is one single business, sector, workplace, corporation, or household except maybe extreme rural areas that haven't been affected in some way or another. I think we are both in "essential" service sectors, but even both of our jobs have been changed. Perhaps forever. I like how they are limiting exposure risk for you guys (and gals?).. interesting solutions.

For sure, and if you do their dining plan EACH person gets a card for EACH day you have the plan :faint:

No thanks!! Yikes!

Agree 100% and that's a big reason I'm not a big Uni fan. I've toured all the resorts and stayed at 3; I do like them. I think in some ways their "value" resorts trump Disney's values. But I never get that "feeling" there, in the resorts or parks, and that's what makes Disney special ❤

I've not spent enough time there to have compared the resorts OR the parks, but there was just something missing. I did like the pools though. ;)

I don't like the new rooms much. CSR rooms are ok and the storage is nice but overall I prefer the Uber theming or even the mild theming some had that's gone too. I also was a fan of the carpeting as it felt cozier but understand why they've done away with it.

I get it too, but it added so much "different" that made each one something MORE than just another American hotel in any given city anywhere. That (the theming) was part of what made a Disney hotel.... a Disney hotel.

So far, so good. I tried to make the most of the hours that were available to me while they lasted knowing that they might not have been available for long. And I was right. After this week, next week looks very sparse until our operating rooms return to normal again. My daughter is a senior too and, while not in a traditional school, I think she was looking forward to her grad ceremony which isn't going to happen now. I hope it's just a postponement, not a full-on cancellation. :( Day by day is certainly the name of the game these days.

Do you live in an area that doesn't have a large number of Covid-19 cases? We are in the Chicago suburbs, so most of the cases are in the city. We have a stay at home order for the entire state and that is what we are doing. :)
The numbers for Oregon are:

"Oregon has 317 known cases of the novel coronavirus as of Thursday afternoon, according to state and local health officials. Officials also announced one new death, bringing the state’s total of known deaths related to the virus to 11."

Numbers might be higher but there isn't reliable or widespread testing. We are only testing people that are symptomatic. And all 11 of our deaths were with people with underlying health conditions. It's surprising ours is low given we are sandwiched between Washington and California both having high numbers.

I am almost always home anyway unless I'm at work, so this is not really a change for me. What I am sad, and a bit angry about, is that our outdoor rec areas are closed too because people couldn't NOT be in them without being morons and were congregating in big groups. Now, me and other people who just wanted to get some fresh air in our beautiful nature can't. :(

We stayed 1 night at Portofino Bay in August and really enjoyed the room, resort, Sals pizza, and the boats to the parks.
We really love HP and enjoy visiting USO, however, 1-2 nights is plenty for us. Disney is so different for us, we can stay there for 10 nights and feel like we need more.

I did enjoy it too, for sure! I'd choose a different one if I ever go back, maybe the Royal Pacific or the Sapphire? The boats are a HUGE bonus! Without getting to far ahead of myself, I LOVED the HP areas. The other areas were fun, but not quite as appealing to me as Daigon Alley or Hogsmeade. Does it compare to Disney for me? Nope!

I really like the refurbished rooms and new rooms at Disney. I feel the themes in the parks all day are so wonderful that a room should have more subtle hints of Disney. I found so many wonderful Disney themes mixed in at Gran Destino, the wallpaper in the room, the carpet in the halls, the pictures mixed in the lobby and the mosaic murals at Riviera are beautiful.
I am not a huge fan of the all white everywhere that does get old! I cannot take a bath in a hotel, phobia thing, 1 weird looking hair and I freak so the big showers with rainfall heads are something I love.

I can't wait to see the new Tower. I'm guessing the decor is just lovely!

We stayed at AoA the first year it was open and the heavy cumbersome bedspreads on the LM beds were awful. They were stiff and just slid off the bed, so those were not the answer either. They were definitely themed though so there is that.

Yeah, texture has to be just right for me too. I hate the plasticky feeling ones that slide off like you describe. EW! But, can't they make nicer ones that have some sort of bright colors and theming on them? Just to make the rooms just a bit different than any other generic hotel room anywhere else?

We are too. Q 2 hour unit wide cleanings, PPE re-use, etc... You are one busy girl these days FOR SURE! Wow! Our jobs are already stressful and to add new everything makes them even moreso. :hug:

Thank you for being one of those unsung heroes in all of this, putting yourself in jeopardy for the good of others' health. And how amazing is @Chrystmasangel ?! I just wanted to reach through my Facebook and hug her yesterday when I saw her post :lovestruc Glad she's literally got you covered...your face at least!

I just got my mask in the mail and it's LOVELY and she sent extra filters! So awesome!!

I think this transition is double tough on working moms. Trying to work from home and homeschool and learning new routines, computer systems, all of that, has got to be so tough. :hug: Hang in there! I think at this point, whatever CAN get done is GREAT work!!

I really thought we would have more time in our day for outdoor activities, arts and crafts and fun once the work was done, but it is really taking Jimmy the same amount of time or more than a regular school day to get things done. And by that time, I am so mentally exhausted from the day that I don't want to do anything.

I totally get that about taking longer. Home is a wonderful place to learn, but also has more distractions. Hang in there, Mama.

The only good to come of this so far has been the fact that I dusted, built 2 bookshelves and organized one closet and two bedrooms. And I've finally finished reading Orange is the New Black, which I have had collecting dust on my nightstand for over a year.
My "work" tomorrow is to thoroughly dust my bedroom, clean my bathroom and file some papers. Should pay some bills too since it's pay day. Then I have to work from midnight til 4AM. Yuck. I've started studying for my professional certification in my nursing specialty as well. Can't procrasitinate anymore.

Really? It's like all over the news.

And Facebook.

And the internet.

And the papers.

And every conversation everywhere.

I'm frankly surprised it hasn't been done in skywriting. :rolleyes:
Well, actually... this from Australia:
That's what the ladies who were all lined up to get them are saying. I mean, maybe for them it's an essential service.... ? :duck:
It is for someone...
This might be my last week of getting to do that. It's literally week by week here. And most other places I'd imagine.
Hope it works out for you. :hug:
:worship:
I will have one now. I won't need one in the psych unit, but yeah, manning the front table as the only entrance to the hospital it might be nice for. Posting a photo of what came in the mail after I'm done with replies...
"have one now"...

:sad2:

But glad you do have one now. Hope it's not too late for you.
Don't see the photo, though.
I'm not sure there is one single business, sector, workplace, corporation, or household except maybe extreme rural areas that haven't been affected in some way or another.
True.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter