The "box" arrived...

SingingMom

DIS Veteran
...and I'm really disappointed. :sad2:
This is our 4th ABD - our first two ABD's had three strong, durable backpacks - one for each of our party...
the 3rd ABD had a few different types of bags and leather folders..

Today's box had three luggage tags and one zipper cosmetic type bag. :confused3
For the price of these trips, the "box" was a fun bonus.

Oh well... at least the Adventure Handbook was included. I had heard some trips had to wait until the first day for that.

Wow, how disappointing. I always look forward to the new goodies. I should be getting my box soon, but sounds like I shouldn't expect much.

I mean, I'd heard they wouldn't be giving out backpacks any more because they didn't want folks on the tours walking around with stuff labeled "Adventures by Disney" for safety reasons. But that just sounds sad. :(

Sayhello

I had made a post a few months ago when we got our box for 2017of felt the same way! They really ARE safety into consideration though. They've changed things....like not having ABD on the Paddle of Power, and in some locations guides don't wear ABD shirts or even their name tag. So I totally understand not putting ABD logos on things like backpacks. BUT...they could include just regular backpacks right? ha! I was on a Disney panel for the 2016 Box Input and we suggested a lot of things. I don't think they really took any of it into consideration because nobody said "do less". hahahahah. I really wish they would have taken the majority advice and included a guidebook/nature guide/whatever that was itenerary specific. I know the box isn't THAT big of a deal because we do get a lot of repeat gifts, but after getting 9 boxes full of goodies, the 10th box was kind of a whomp whomp with its contents!

We did have the little maroon "shoe" sized laundry bag that I mocked but have found really useful! We put dirty shoes in it with our suitcase and it saved Hubby's clothes from getting dirty after a Galapagos hike!

Thanks for letting us know. Now I can mentally prepare myself so I won't be disappointed. I am still excited to get our box since it will mean our trip is almost here!

That's how I felt - after the thrill of a box of filled with goodies for 3 trips - this was insulting. :rotfl2:

Even more so - we are paying for 3 adults but we really are squished into one room. Good thing DD is petite! :cutie:

That's how I felt - after the thrill of a box of filled with goodies for 3 trips - this was insulting. :rotfl2:

Even more so - we are paying for 3 adults but we really are squished into one room. Good thing DD is petite! :cutie:

To go from 3 backpacks to a cosmetics bag is a huge letdown. They can and should do so much better.

When do you leave for your trip? We leave on June 17th so I'm wondering when I can expect my handbook. I have so many luggage tags from them already -- they have given those at least the last 2 years and we have done 3 trips in that time frame, so we don't really need anymore. Now more luggage straps would be lovely. One of ours went missing between an internal flight and our hotel room in China last summer; I was seriously bummed about that because they are very functional.

Just back from Costa Rica. Got the new, downsized package for this trip. The little zipper bag was actually quite handy for keeping our passports and tickets. When we arrived we still received the ABD little duffle bag, which everyone used on the trip, since there is one night where you can only trip with a small overnight bag and the larger suitcases stay behind.

No more paddle of power and the guide's shirt no longer says ABD, although the nametags still did, and like I mentioned everyone was using the ABD bags, and my daughter was sporting her ABD backback from a couple years ago.

I never had the great boxes, but we had GOOD boxes and gifts in room from our guides on our first trip. (I still miss those Italian chocolates...)

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to let my other half know that the box won't be as much fun this year. :( Hopefully the adventure will still be great!!!

...and I'm really disappointed. :sad2:
This is our 4th ABD - our first two ABD's had three strong, durable backpacks - one for each of our party...
the 3rd ABD had a few different types of bags and leather folders..

Today's box had three luggage tags and one zipper cosmetic type bag. :confused3
For the price of these trips, the "box" was a fun bonus.

Oh well... at least the Adventure Handbook was included. I had heard some trips had to wait until the first day for that.

Wow! Glad I'm not travelling with them anymore. For our February 2017 trip Nat Geo sent us 2 canvas "National Geographic Adventures" hats, one for each of us, 2 sturdy "National Geographic Adventures" luggage tags, 2 luggage straps, 1 document holder and one "Lonely Planet" guide book for our destination. Also, our Nat Geo guide wore her "National Geographic" logo'd polo shirt every day of the trip with the logo prominently displayed.

And our 2018 "box" will contain the same stuff, except it will say "Expeditions" instead of "Adventures".

If anyone is interested, I have a blue and gold ABD document holder, backpack and laundry bag. They are from the 2016 ABD box. Brand new, never used. Message me if interested.

I mean, I'd heard they wouldn't be giving out backpacks any more because they didn't want folks on the tours walking around with stuff labeled "Adventures by Disney" for safety reasons. But that just sounds sad.
Well, if having someone stand at the front of a large group of people holding a bright orange "Adventures by Disney" placard above their head isn't a dead give-away, I don't think the labelling on a backpack is going to make much difference.

Well, if having someone stand at the front of a large group of people holding a bright orange "Adventures by Disney" placard above their head isn't a dead give-away, I don't think the labelling on a backpack is going to make much difference.

The placards don't say "Adventures by Disney" anymore.

The paddle of power no longer says "Adventures by Disney". :( It's just a tone-on-tone starburst logo.

Sayhello

The "welcome" box surely doesn't make or break ABD for us! While I loved the box itself, and it was fun to get the "stuff" because that meant our trip was around the corner, in the end I don't need 10 backpacks, 30 luggage straps, 30 luggage tags, etc. hahahah! I was bummed when we got our first 2017 box just because it was different but We sure love ABD and don't mind now. The zippered pouch is actually really nice and my Husband uses it for his dopp kit now...holds a lot of stuff. I wish ABD went to Antarctica because then we could use them to set foot to all 7 continents! I feel like I'm "cheating" by looking at other companies for that trip. hahaha

Wow! Glad I'm not travelling with them anymore. For our February 2017 trip Nat Geo sent us 2 canvas "National Geographic Adventures" hats, one for each of us, 2 sturdy "National Geographic Adventures" luggage tags, 2 luggage straps, 1 document holder and one "Lonely Planet" guide book for our destination. Also, our Nat Geo guide wore her "National Geographic" logo'd polo shirt every day of the trip with the logo prominently displayed.

And our 2018 "box" will contain the same stuff, except it will say "Expeditions" instead of "Adventures".

If anyone is interested, I have a blue and gold ABD document holder, backpack and laundry bag. They are from the 2016 ABD box. Brand new, never used. Message me if interested.
Very similar from what we got for our NatGeo Coast to Coast hike a couple years ago. Their goodie box was way better than ABD. I *love* the Nat Geo hat. ABD gave hats out our first year (2007?)--I've been asking for them ever since. They were really high quality black hats. I still use my Nat Geo neoprene zip bag in my backpack and my Nat Geo hat is in my golf bag. We also received a really thoughtful journal for our coast to coast walk in addition to the guide book.

I never had the great boxes, but we had GOOD boxes and gifts in room from our guides on our first trip. (I still miss those Italian chocolates...)

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to let my other half know that the box won't be as much fun this year. :( Hopefully the adventure will still be great!!!
And that's a great point!! We always have had trips full of little surprises <3

Very similar from what we got for our NatGeo Coast to Coast hike a couple years ago. Their goodie box was way better than ABD. I *love* the Nat Geo hat. ABD gave hats out our first year (2007?)--I've been asking for them ever since. They were really high quality black hats. I still use my Nat Geo neoprene zip bag in my backpack and my Nat Geo hat is in my golf bag. We also received a really thoughtful journal for our coast to coast walk in addition to the guide book.

We got ABD hats and scarves on our Winter in Wyoming trip. They came in handy! The big zippered tote bags we got from ABD have also gotten a lot of use. I take them on just about every single flight no matter where I am going.

oh, don't get me wrong - the "box" would never be a deal breaker for us - we ADORE ABD and will continue to travel with them. :love2:
I just was disappointed, when compared to previous surprises.

That zippered canvas tote is my favorite! I would like a baseball cap. lol (we have scarves from the ice cave in Central Europe too - very nice!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter