The "Classic Disney World" idea

sharadoc

Visit WDW since '86, driving since '94.
Prefacing this with the fact that I started visiting WDW in 1986, so I've seen the addition of two major theme parks, 2 water parks, miniature golf courses, MOST of the resorts. So of course I have nostalgia for that original stuff and LOVED that they discussed some sort of classic WDW "park" on the podcast. My DH and I have longed for a Classic Disney, we'd spend a lot of time there lol.

They could put all of original Future World somewhere else, nothing exists as it did when it opened. But there are things they could have moved, like Kitchen Kabaret, Cranium Command, some of the 3D films, even films of old stuff would be cool as virtual ride-throughs of Horizons, World of Motion, Journey into Imagination, 20,000 Leagues. Every time I ride the People Mover I want to hear the old narration and will always page Mr. Morrow to give his party from Saturn a ring, or tell my family to keep their tentacles inside the car at all times. More than anything, I don't understand why they no longer have the space station scene at the end of Spaceship Earth. Just turn the lights on!!!

We joke now that we say "back in the day" a little too much when we visit. A Classic Disney park would satisfy our longing for the things we really miss.

Innoventions is just sitting there, begging to be used in a better way. I can't think of a better use for that space than a "virtual park", featuring simulators of past WDW rides.

And yes, I realize that Future World is supposed to be about, well, the future....but I can't think of any cooler use of cutting-edge VR technology than to honor Walt's vision of WDW by letting people experience these rides.

20,000 leagues is probably the one older attraction I hear about which I would really loved to have tried!

20,000 leagues is probably the one older attraction I hear about which I would really loved to have tried!
The submarines were cool. The ride was incredibly cheesy as far as what you saw out the window.

I've been visiting since 1978 so I go way back. I miss the Mickey Mouse Revue, The Walt Disney Story, the Snow White Ride, Mr. Toad, Kitchen Kabaret, Cranium Command, the original Main Street with individual (and unique) stores and the penny arcade, the shop that used to be in the castle, the Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village.... I could go on and on.

Why are "Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit" and "Don't Take my Broccoli Away From Me" going through my head right now? :charac2::rockband:

And DEFINITELY bring back the ORIGINAL Figment (and Dream Finder!!), the meets and greets with them in the garden outside, and the Imagination Playground!!

the Imagination Playground
That was so much fun, though I will say that after several years and many, many visits, it did get kind of old. I wish they would periodically update the interactive things at the end of the ride. We just walk right past it now because we've done it all so many times. Bring in some new stuff now and then. It can't be terribly difficult or expensive.

That was so much fun, though I will say that after several years and many, many visits, it did get kind of old. I wish they would periodically update the interactive things at the end of the ride. We just walk right past it now because we've done it all so many times. Bring in some new stuff now and then. It can't be terribly difficult or expensive.
TOTALLY agree with getting old, and boring. The "nail thing" where you could put your hand (or face, if you were daring, and stupid, like me!) :rotfl2: underneath always hurt, and always made me "smell like metal", but I always did it. :)

think it's been closed for a long time now, if I'm not mistaken. Think it's the DVC Member Lounge?

Innoventions is just sitting there, begging to be used in a better way. I can't think of a better use for that space than a "virtual park", featuring simulators of past WDW rides.

And yes, I realize that Future World is supposed to be about, well, the future....but I can't think of any cooler use of cutting-edge VR technology than to honor Walt's vision of WDW by letting people experience these rides.
Would they be CGI simulations of the old rides or old Super 8 film with a big hair across the screen?

I really don't see how this would work or how it would draw in a big crowd.

However, it's hard to disagree with the part about Innoventions needing to add something to do.

The submarines were cool. The ride was incredibly cheesy as far as what you saw out the window.

I've been visiting since 1978 so I go way back. I miss the Mickey Mouse Revue, The Walt Disney Story, the Snow White Ride, Mr. Toad, Kitchen Kabaret, Cranium Command, the original Main Street with individual (and unique) stores and the penny arcade, the shop that used to be in the castle, the Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village.... I could go on and on.

Mr. Toad is the other thing I really wish I saw!! That's one of my favorite books and Disney movies. I started going in 2003 and I think it closed before then??

Mr. Toad is the other thing I really wish I saw!! That's one of my favorite books and Disney movies. I started going in 2003 and I think it closed before then??

It’s still running over at Disneyland. I don’t have much memory of it at WDW so whenever I get around to making my first DLR trip it’ll be on my to-do list for sure.

Last edited:
I know Julie mentioned she'd like to see "If You Had Wings". I would love that, and would also love "Magic Journeys". It was the first attraction I ever did in the Magic Kingdom, and the very first time I was actually able to see something in 3-D. I still remember being mesmerized by the little boy flying through the apple blossoms, and feel I was flying too. VERY nostalgic for me!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!