"the Great Canadian Connection"

pkitty

Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me
Hi it's us again... it's been a while but the summer kind of kept us away and off the computer for a while...which is a good thing. Now that it's a little crispier out and WWIINNTTEERR just around the corner we find ourselfs back on the board again. Its good to be back and see the regular DISRS still here typing away. There is so much to do before our next trip to WDW. hope to loose 20 pounds, paint, shop for x-mas, catch up on bills so we can do more of the same when we get back from our trip.. haha. Thats life and am just glad to have my health and a great carreer that will allow me to do all this.. I was just reading the board and one message that cought my eye was from MARYANN4086 who wanted to say hello. I was reading along and saw CABMOM from Uxbridge. when I saw her reply she failed to mention somthing famous about her town and was wondering if anyone else caught what she missed. I'm not from Uxbridge but know some Disney Trivia about her town. I was going to mention it in a reply but started thinking that Canada has alot of other connections to Disney which brings me to this question:

Can anyone think of any Canadian connection with DISNEY, be it animated charators, actors, voices, story lines, places and other trivia related bits of information I will be looking foreward to reading your responses.

P.S.

I'm serious about loosing the 20 pounds anyone else interested. :chat: :wave:

Hmmm, well we've had a lot of movies shot in our town! The classic show Road to Avonlea had a set in town until it was torn down when they were finished shooting. We've had so many movies, I can't think of any Disney ones in paticular.

You've got me curious!

As for the weight, I hear ya! I joined CURVES. I just have to keep myself motivated to go!

Marilynn

Had to edit this: Kenneth Walsh lives here, just saw him in The Day After Tomorrow. Graham Greene lives here, Lance Brown, Dan Pollard, etc...

Originally posted by pkitty
P.S.

I'm serious about loosing the 20 pounds anyone else interested. :chat: :wave:

Hi There!

I am but only AFTER I Get back from the Food & Wine Festival!LOL

No sense on watching what I am eating while on vacation!

Scratch
:wave2:

PS as for Trivia, wasn't Walt's relatives from this area?

YES! SCRATCH does it again...

Walts grandfather is reported to have been from there or at one time had a summer cottage in the area. Appearently Walt vacationed there in the summers as a boy and the main Street of Uxbidge (old Uxbridge) may have inspired Main Street USA at WDW. In order to protect my integrity don't quote me on this. I wish I had more information about it but I read an autobigraphy on Walt and found his father and grandparents were Canadian before Walts father moved to Chicago IL. As far as the Main Street rumor. I heard it through the grape vine that Uxbridge had been his inspiration for Main Street.

Good luck with the weight. I just lost 25 lbs and went down two dress sizes. No potatoes.no white bread, and pasta only twice a month. Also smaller portions and pilates exercises at the Y.I didnt give up chocolate (no point i'd eat it anyway) just didnt have it very often.:)

Originally posted by eleanor
Good luck with the weight. I just lost 25 lbs and went down two dress sizes. No potatoes.no white bread, and pasta only twice a month. Also smaller portions and pilates exercises at the Y.I didnt give up chocolate (no point i'd eat it anyway) just didnt have it very often.:)

Congratulations!

That's my downfall, Pasta! It's just so easy to make for Dinner! Then next is the bread!

Scratch

pirate:

Well, I spoke to our historian of Uxbridge tonight and he has never heard of a connection to Disney.

So I need your help! Can you tell me where I can find proof? I'm on the Uxbridge Bicentennial Committee and we would like to incorporate this new information! We had our meeting tonight and I told them about it. Our Bicentennial runs from Aug 6th 2005 to July 2006.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Marilynn

I consulted my Walt Disney biography and Walt Disney's grandparents settled in Goderich, Ontario. If I remember correctly he modelled his Main Street after a town called Marceline.

I really want to lose 20lb too!!

Doesn't Winnie the Pooh have a Canadian connection...Winnipeg I think, but not sure of the story behind it.

As for the weight, I want to lose 30 lbs.

History behind Winnie the Pooh

A Canadian officer named Lt.
Harry Colebourn bought a female black bear cub from a trapper for $20 on August 24, 1914 that had
been orphaned after its mother had been killed by a hunter. Lt. Colebourn decided to name the cub
"Winnie" after his hometown of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

During World War I, Lt. Colebourn took Winnie to England where he was stationed. While in England he
was promoted to Captain. Later, Winnie was donated to the London Zoo for safekeeping when Capt.
Colebourn's military unit was ordered to France. Supposedly, Winnie was a very popular attraction.
Author A.A. Milne took his son, Christopher Robin Milne to see the bear. Christopher so liked the bear
that his father decided to name the character in his new book after Winnie, the black bear at the zoo.

I have another connection between Winnipeg and Disney. My great Aunt came over to Canada from Iceland. While living in Winnipeg, she fell in love. The couple ended up breaking up, as she decided to return to Iceland. He was heart-broken, and left for the U.S. to find a job. He ended up getting a position with a small animation studio in California. He designed his character to look like his "lost love". The company of course was the Disney company, and his character was Snow White. I remember there being a story on the front page of the Winnipeg Free Press, with interviews of her grandchildren (in Iceland). It would have been in 1993 sometime. If anyone has any more information, I would love to add it to my family's collection.

As for the Winnie the Pooh connection, there is a bronze statue in the Winnipeg Zoo commemorating it.

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce:

pkitty:
working on losing 25 lbs also, but for me it's very hard. I am a full time student in a very difficult program, and I also work part time. I try very hard to watch what I eat, but honestly, come exam time, it is completely thrown out the window. Also, getting the motivation to do any kind of exercise is also difficult since I feel guilty about abandoning my homework and study time. I always take about 5 minutes a day and come here as a way to escape my studies, and that is usually the only break I get. But, I think about it often...does that count?
Jo

OOPS!
CABMOM I'm so sorry.
I have to say now that I see MALINDAANDROB'S reply I think it was Goderich. I still only know it as a rumor though so don't quote me. Thank god I mentioned that earlier. If I feel like a heel now, imagine how I would have felt if I did have you quote me. HEHE. anyway I had no idea about the snow white connection that took me by surprise. I know Celine Dion sang a song in the movie Beauty and the Beast; and hey the two new additions! The two Moose in Brother Bear, who are they again, BOB and DOUG MCKENZIE. and Paul Schaeffer from david Letterman, he was a Charactor in Hercules I just can't remember who; and Michael J Fox, was the voice of a dog in Homeward Bound. There must be some more but that's it for me.
Again My apologies to CABMOM.

Hey now I can see how it came to be that Iraq had WMD. Don't worry CABMOM I think your safe in Uxbridge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter