The Little Mermaid in 3D leading to DVD?

OrangeJax

Mouseketeer
My cousin (another Disney fanatic) was looking for The Little Mermaid on DVD to show her 1 year old (soon) and our niece. Well, you can only find it for about $40...

I know that there were rumors that The Little Mermaid was going to be released in 3-D at somepoint. Will that lead to the release of the DVD as well? I don't know, historically, how that has worked in the past.

Thanks!

Disney is a money-making machine. Every time Disney releases an older Disney movie theaters, a DVD is gauranteed to follow. That's been Disney's strategy since the days of VHS.

Well, for the most part. Disney had to get over its fear of losing potential revenue by releasing "untouchable" classics like Snow White and Peter Pan to home video. Then they got smart and realized you can't make money off of something if it stays locked up in a vault. Anything Disney sends to the theater now, new or old, is going to be released on DVD too.

So yes, expect to see Little Mermaid on DVD.

Thanks so much!!! That was exactly (nearly word for word!) what I told my cousin. They really do know how to make money off of us!

Disney is a money-making machine. Every time Disney releases an older Disney movie theaters, a DVD is gauranteed to follow. That's been Disney's strategy since the days of VHS.

Well, for the most part. Disney had to get over its fear of losing potential revenue by releasing "untouchable" classics like Snow White and Peter Pan to home video. Then they got smart and realized you can't make money off of something if it stays locked up in a vault. Anything Disney sends to the theater now, new or old, is going to be released on DVD too.

So yes, expect to see Little Mermaid on DVD.

Love that second paragraph:thumbsup2 Disney was a little behind the curve on the paradigm shift in movies/home video in the 80s. Of course before the home video era they were able to develop an audience by holding movie re-releases for 7 years, but that all changed in the era of VHS & Beta. Disney didn't even want Sony to manufacture the Betamax player/recorder back in the early days of the format due to piracy concerns. They fought hard to block it, but failed.

This fall I believe! Finding Nemo and The Little Mermaid, and possibly Monsters Inc?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter