The September 2017 Post Hurricane Trip Report pics added

So this morning was AK with FP for FOP. Now off to MK for some rides and then early dinner at Be our Guest, and return to the Fort to meet with the Headless Horseman.
We have also been breaking down camp between last evening and today as tomorrow morning we will be hitching up and heading North once again.
This trip has been a lot like the Jungle Cruise, we laughed, we cried, we almost....got run over by a scooter. But now our journey has come to it's end. And tomorrow they will be shouting "Get Out", oh wait they will do it politely, "Please Get Out, Now !"

Tom Sawyers Island is still closed from the Hurricane, they have a crew working to clear it, some rides will still need groundskeeping help. There are a lot of stumps to show where they lost trees, a lot of new trees have been planted. But Disney is doing their best. Campground looks ok, and there are signs of the hurricane, but most of those will slowly wear away and fade.

So as today is Sept 29 and we leave on the 30th we will hand off the TR's to the October crew. They can start us off on Oct 1st with a report on EPCOT's 35 anniversary of opening day.

Will post tomorrow let everyone know we made it to VA for the night and let you know how dinner and the meet and greet went.

So this morning was AK with FP for FOP. Now off to MK for some rides and then early dinner at Be our Guest, and return to the Fort to meet with the Headless Horseman.
We have also been breaking down camp between last evening and today as tomorrow morning we will be hitching up and heading North once again.
This trip has been a lot like the Jungle Cruise, we laughed, we cried, we almost....got run over by a scooter. But now our journey has come to it's end. And tomorrow they will be shouting "Get Out", oh wait they will do it politely, "Please Get Out, Now !"

Tom Sawyers Island is still closed from the Hurricane, they have a crew working to clear it, some rides will still need groundskeeping help. There are a lot of stumps to show where they lost trees, a lot of new trees have been planted. But Disney is doing their best. Campground looks ok, and there are signs of the hurricane, but most of those will slowly wear away and fade.

So as today is Sept 29 and we leave on the 30th we will hand off the TR's to the October crew. They can start us off on Oct 1st with a report on EPCOT's 35 anniversary of opening day.

Will post tomorrow let everyone know we made it to VA for the night and let you know how dinner and the meet and greet went.
Thank you PaHunter for all your awesome reports and pictures! We in the October group will do our best to "carry the torch" on! Sorry we won't get to meet you this year but maybe next year! Safe travels tomorrow as you head towards home!

What great trip reports. Glad that the Fort was able to reopen for your trips. At least almost everyone that pulled their trailer down was able to enjoy them.

Teamubr, thanks for the reopening photos, and letting everyone know the condition of the Fort from the inside.

PaHunter, you take a lot of incredible photos, and think Disney should give you a job to fulfill their advertising campaign.

Thanks again for all the great reports, and glad everyone made it down and home safe, with the exception of PaHunter, who leaves out tomorrow, safe travels.

So a quick addition before we go. All of Pandora was on the fritz this morning, so did not get to ride again. We went to MK early to ride some rides before dinner, and well the two weeks of sunshine faded away and the heavens opened up. It started to rain at 3pm and has rained off and on since then. Got most stuff packed before the rain, and we are packed and ready to travel, disconnect in the morning and we will be off.
We did do the Headless horseman meet and photo. They show the movie, we were in the barn, warning for those who are allergic to hay like myself. They then had the photo's at the end. The gift bag was a smaller cooler bag, held maybe a six pack not sure what was in it. May have been candy, was nice but not sure it was worth the price difference for us.
So we will turn it over to the October crew. I will most likely start a Picture thread from this trip as I did take just short of 7000 photo's.

What great trip reports. Glad that the Fort was able to reopen for your trips. At least almost everyone that pulled their trailer down was able to enjoy them.

Teamubr, thanks for the reopening photos, and letting everyone know the condition of the Fort from the inside.

PaHunter, you take a lot of incredible photos, and think Disney should give you a job to fulfill their advertising campaign.

Thanks again for all the great reports, and glad everyone made it down and home safe, with the exception of PaHunter, who leaves out tomorrow, safe travels.

Well it would be a job I would love to have, that is for sure. But as a friend of Smokey the Bear, I can tell you that is also a lot of fun.

Stuck on I4 due to an accident, highway closed at MM116 and has been for awhile, hope we can get rolling soon.

Safe travels my man. Appreciate your work and pictures.

So yesterday we woke up it was humid , like 95 percent and about 85 degrees. How 24 hours makes a difference. It is 42 degrees here in VA.
Before we left Disney AC was running full blast, pulled in last night and turned the heater on and it has run all night.
Breakfast, flush our tanks and back on the road, hoping for some better travel conditions today. The rain early on yesterday did not help matters, then stopped for extended periods for 2 different accidents. Also had some idiot in a mercedes decide he wanted to brake check me, after cutting me off, almost got himself killed...as i am sure my combo severly outweighs a kompressor.

Sucks that you where stuck in traffic, safe travels.

And, may I suggest another road to add to your route, exit 205 Cocoa Beach, hgwy 528 west to I-4 west to exit 62, World Dr.

Or if not for your arriving route,maybe your departure route, 528 would be exit 72.

528 Is a toll road, but it only adds an about 15 minutes of travel time, with the Sunpass, Florida's pre-paid toll. I have that and the EZ-Pass and love both.

Sucks that you where stuck in traffic, safe travels.

And, may I suggest another road to add to your route, exit 205 Cocoa Beach, hgwy 528 west to I-4 west to exit 62, World Dr.

Or if not for your arriving route,maybe your departure route, 528 would be exit 72.

528 Is a toll road, but it only adds an about 15 minutes of travel time, with the Sunpass, Florida's pre-paid toll. I have that and the EZ-Pass and love both.

We have taken 528 in the past, but 528 eastbound was damaged severely during the hurricane and not sure what kind of shape it was in. They said about 2 million or so to fix it.

So we made it home, left VA about 930am and traffic the first couple hours was very heavy. Apparently Virginia Tech played at home yesterday and everyone spent the night. Made for some heavy traffic and things were a little hokey.
Trailer is parked and plugged in have the nephews for the weekend and will be camping with them. So will be repacking the trailer after work all week.
Thank you to all for the well wishes during our travels, during the trip and on the trip home. We really appreciate it. I will get some pictures ready to post, and will most likely start a photo trip thread.
Have an offer on the table for a short trip in the future, but that would be a hotel stay. Next camping trip to Disney will most likely be in early 2019 with the youngest nephew. So there will be some planning in my future.

Glad you made it home safe and sound. Next weekend camping sounds fun. We aren't going out again until the last weekend in October and that will probably be it until next season. Have fun planning and I can't wait to see those pics.

j

The one thing I noticed this trip was it seemed there were a lot of large family groups in attendance. When we checked in to TE, there were two in front of us, one was 11 the other was 8 people. Also a lot of large groups from outside the US, some of which had absolutely no respect or consideration for anyone but themselves.
Well have some pictures to look thru and post.

_MG_0775-1.jpg

_MG_0777-1.jpg

_MG_0778-1.jpg

And well since these were taken, it has been turned in to a character spot on the sign. Have not heard who is meeting there from anyone. Guessing the ride is done for, but we will wait and see what happens.

Last edited:
I just returned from a Sept. trip to Fort Wilderness (Sept. 24-30) and thought I would add my thoughts to the Sept. thread. This was my first trip to Fort Wilderness and I was so impressed with the Fort. DH and I have been to Disneyworld many times but this was the first trip camping at Fort Wilderness. This was on my bucket list and I have to say I loved it so much, it will be hard to stay anywhere else. We camped in the 2100 loop in a travel trailer and I loved the location. It was a small loop and was convenient to the comfort station and the bus stop. I thought the internal bus system was great! Didn't rent a golf cart and really didn't need one. Buses came frequently and after I figured out if I needed a yellow bus, a purple bus, or an orange bus ( a little frustrating at first), I was able to get around the fort easily. The mosquitos were the only negative thing I experienced at the Fort. They seemed to be particularly blood-thirsty. I left with about 15 bites. I found the parks to be hot and crowded. I have been to Disney in July and I thought this was comparable to July. I also thought the bus service from the parks to Fort Wilderness was hit and miss. Sometimes they came promptly and sometimes I had to wait a long time for a bus while other resorts would have 3 buses show up while I waited for one. I rarely post on these board, but I am a regular reader. I want to thank all of you who post regularly because you were a great help in planning this trip. I am presently planning a trip to Gulf Shores so I am reading that thread on the community board and I am finding valuable information there from the regular posters. Many thanks to everyone on the boards who helped make my trip the greatest one ever!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!