***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

All DVC requests must be made through the member portal, or with a call to member services by the owner.
My opinion, but I would never, ever give a third party like touring plans or even David's my account information to make a call for me.
I don't know about David's, but you don't give your DVC account information to Touring Plans for their room request service. They don't contact Member Services or login to your DVC account; they send a fax to the resort with your room request details. It does include your name and reservation number, but that doesn't seem excessive for what they're doing.

I just seems a needless method for members to go through Touring plans to make a room request. That method should be used by non owners who have booked a room through CRO. Even renters through a DVC owner should be asking the owner to use the official email, chat or calling MS.

The Touring Plans room request feature works surprisingly well for cash rooms- pretty decent success rate of getting the exact room you want. For DVC it's much harder since the rooms are nearly 100% occupied 365 days a year. Unless someone is checking out of the exact room you want the day you arrive, not much they can do.

I don't know about David's, but you don't give your DVC account information to Touring Plans for their room request service. They don't contact Member Services or login to your DVC account; they send a fax to the resort with your room request details. It does include your name and reservation number, but that doesn't seem excessive for what they're doing.
I just seems a needless method for members to go through Touring plans to make a room request. That method should be used by non owners who have booked a room through CRO. Even renters through a DVC owner should be asking the owner to use the official email, chat or calling MS.

Exactly Denise! While it may be nice and easy that TP is offering this service it may add to the headaches the room assigner has already of shuffling through and entering faxed requests on top of all those entered through the system. I've found they always read the room requests and do their best to assign rooms as requested, but not everyone can be near lobby.

Just dial up Member services and talk with a wonderfully pleasant person who would be happy to help in any way they can. (An alternate reason for calling MS: Let's not get Disney thinking they can replace human interfaces with automated AI. Use them and then take the survey at the end of the call!)

I haven't tried using Touring Plans yet, but I have tried using Member Services, with mixed success. The worst was when I ended up with a room at the Boardwalk where they were doing construction on the floor right above me. Silly me, when I checked in the night before I never thought to ask at check-in about it, since I had made a request through Member Services to be as far away from construction as possible. When I asked them about it the next day the CM told me they never received my request.

... When I asked them about it the next day the CM told me they never received my request.

Sometimes I think CMs use that response when a guest asks why they didn't get their request. It is just a self defense mechanism. Somebody has to be assigned the undesirable room and when a vacation matches the dates available for that room, they get plugged in. For requests to do with construction I would always go to the front desk for check in, since construction locations can change rapidly within a days time frame, I don't see how a room assigner could possibly get it right. It could be that plan was for those rooms above to not start construction until next week but they got ahead of schedule.

Sometimes I think CMs use that response when a guest asks why they didn't get their request. It is just a self defense mechanism. Somebody has to be assigned the undesirable room and when a vacation matches the dates available for that room, they get plugged in. For requests to do with construction I would always go to the front desk for check in, since construction locations can change rapidly within a days time frame, I don't see how a room assigner could possibly get it right. It could be that plan was for those rooms above to not start construction until next week but they got ahead of schedule.
Specifics of the situation I encountered:
I spoke to the manager on the first morning (after the initial minor drilling noise and then an hour later even louder noise). The manager told me construction was on the floor above me and he could move me to another room. The hotel knew how long I was going to stay there (not just one night), and the manager confirmed they never received my room request from Member Services. So either that's the same lie from two different people at the Boardwalk or there was a disconnect between Member Services and the hotel.

Specifics of the situation I encountered:
I spoke to the manager on the first morning (after the initial minor drilling noise and then an hour later even louder noise). The manager told me construction was on the floor above me and he could move me to another room. The hotel knew how long I was going to stay there (not just one night), and the manager confirmed they never received my room request from Member Services. So either that's the same lie from two different people at the Boardwalk or there was a disconnect between Member Services and the hotel.

Correct. The hotel and DVC are physically two separate reservation systems, and they aren't always on speaking terms. ;) (This is a problem Disney has been fighting for years now) So, while the front desk could not see any requests, I'm sure the room assigner did as he/she was working off of the DVC system. One alternate I can think of is that the database needed a restore between when you made the request and the prior night's backup and so your request was lost. Doubtful though as restores are very rare and all the reservations made that day would also have been lost.

I have been told many times that the room assigners do not work on site. They depend on what they know of the building from a master planning guide and add in what is currently reported to them (rooms out of rotation etc). All accommodations are assigned an average of 2 weeks out. So, while the assigner was working off of the requests plus any additional items couriered over from the resort front desk he/she could not find an opening for you as requested. Last minute cancellations happen all the time in the hotel industry, which is why they were able to find you another room.

Greetings! We finally went all-in and purchased DVC at Copper Creek. We are doing our first trip home January 2019 but I wanted the first two nights at AKL on a savannah view room, followed by a stay at CCV for another 3 nights. Got Kidani for the two nights but now debating if I should do Jambo House as the atmosphere seems more active there. My group is able bodied and if the walk between the two is manageable maybe Kidani with the larger rooms may be more pleasant. I am in a 1-br with a family of 5, but may upgrade to a 2-br as we may have a friend and her young daughter join us for the trip.

Anyway, we are very excited to spend Marathon Weekend at WDW!

Greetings! We finally went all-in and purchased DVC at Copper Creek. We are doing our first trip home January 2019 but I wanted the first two nights at AKL on a savannah view room, followed by a stay at CCV for another 3 nights. Got Kidani for the two nights but now debating if I should do Jambo House as the atmosphere seems more active there. My group is able bodied and if the walk between the two is manageable maybe Kidani with the larger rooms may be more pleasant. I am in a 1-br with a family of 5, but may upgrade to a 2-br as we may have a friend and her young daughter join us for the trip.

Congratulations on your purchase and Welcome Home!!!! We own at AKV but just completed a stay at CCV and we LOVED it, we are thinking about adding on there in the next couple years, just waiting to see what Riviera has to offer first.

Personally, I would keep Kidani if going for a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom. The setup of the Kidani rooms in those categories is far superior to those in Jambo house, and the extra bathroom is so useful. It really doesn't take very long at all to get to Jambo, and it should be a very nice walk in January. I always stay in studios in Jambo as we slightly prefer the main lodge, but once we go to the larger rooms it is Kidani all the way, and it is so worth it! Sanaa also serves QS breakfast in the morning which makes staying at Kidani much easier (if you don't have breakfast in the villa that is).

Enjoy your stay! My husband runs the marathon each year and we will be in our usual Jambo studio for marathon weekend 2019.

Last edited:

The walk is only 6-7 minutes between Kidani and Jambo (lobby to lobby, increase the time depending on where your room is possibly) and there is also a shuttle that goes back and forth all day.

I personally prefer Jambo, but Kidani is very very close behind.

Also WELCOME HOME! Congrats on joining DVC :)

We rotate our AKV studio stays between Kidani and Jambo House as they are both great.
I love both resorts for very different reasons. Can't go wrong with either.

Jambo: Huge impressive lobby, bigger store, but very noisy lobby.
Kidani: Bigger rooms, better Savanna views from room, quiet lobby, better pool slide and play area, parking in shaded areas under the building - easy access.

@RL Gutz I'd stick with the Kidani room simply for that second bathroom. Sounds like you'll need it.

Thanks! That is very reassuring, will keep the Kidani arrangements then. Hope your husbands' training goes well - I am the one doing it in our family as well!

I love both resorts for very different reasons. Can't go wrong with either.

Jambo: Huge impressive lobby, bigger store, but very noisy lobby.
Kidani: Bigger rooms, better Savanna views from room, quiet lobby, better pool slide and play area, parking in shaded areas under the building - easy access.

@RL Gutz I'd stick with the Kidani room simply for that second bathroom. Sounds like you'll need it.

Saana is big plus IMO, better food than Boma IMO and per person cost is less. I haven't eaten at Jiko for a number of years, but I know the bread service is better at Saana after doing the wine tasting at Jiko. Add in having a view of the savanna on a lower floor, the great water play area at Samawati Springs at Kidani to the list too.

Does anybody know if there is more direct access to the Kidani pool from the northern hallway or can you only get there from the lobby? I want to try and request a room but only if it makes a difference.

Does anybody know if there is more direct access to the Kidani pool from the northern hallway or can you only get there from the lobby? I want to try and request a room but only if it makes a difference.

From the lobby you can access the pool by walking out the front door and turning left until you get to the pool.

OK but if I have a room at the far end of the north wing, do I need to go all the way back to the lobby to go to the pool. The overhead map makes it look like there may be a door halfway down the hallway that leads to the pool area which could save a lot of time.

OK but if I have a room at the far end of the north wing, do I need to go all the way back to the lobby to go to the pool. The overhead map makes it look like there may be a door halfway down the hallway that leads to the pool area which could save a lot of time.
There is an elevator in the north loop that will take you to the garage and a very short walk to the back entrance of the Kidani pool area. Someone help me out... I can't recall the name of the elevator.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!