The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

One suggestion is to try a group buy with a Tadoussac zodiac operator. Ask them to arrange a van or coach up for a return trip and price it into the excursion. See this post for other places.

Or do a van rental in Saguenay. You can call the local Enterprise or another agency ahead of time and ask them to arrange one. They might ask for a prepayment or flat out decline - but worth a try.

Could be an adventure for a bunch of you to do together and have fun with!

Agreed.

I don't know if you have seen but I posted a few links for car rental (open during the week-end) and shuttles to the Saguenay National Park and Tadoussac. :)

We are booked on the 9/27 cruise as of yesterday! YAY! Our first Disney Cruise! We are going to fly in on Monday and stay in the Old town for a few days and try to do some of the tourist attractions on our own and get to port early on embarkation day.

Are the actual times for the port excursions posted anywhere? I have learned that I can only pre-book 10 hours at the nursery for my son , so depending on which excursions and things are left when its my turn to book on the 14th I will need to have alternatives in place.

In Halifax - is it worth it to go to the Lunesco site? I havent found that many "great" reviews.

Is there any particular tour that should not be missed?

I always speak for myself : ) Traveling in over 50 countries has given me the experience to know how to make decisions based on local conditions vs our cost and convenience tolerance.

Alas yes, all DCL cruises are overpriced (even at the Guarantee Rate); that's why many people opt for less expensive cruises so they have the funds for extras like the occasional ship excursion. Have an amazing time planning and exploring Saguenay and Baie-Comeau inexpensively!
I've traveled to many countries also, but I do make descisions based on cost since I don't have unlimited funds. I've tried excursions for the most part I walk away feeling like I wasted my money. I agree sometimes you have no choice, but the more I travel the better I get at figuring things out on my own.

If they do it on their own, they'll pay in CND money. It's going to feel very inexpensive. :rotfl2:
I get sticker shock when I look at prices and then I remember it's in CAD. I still think hotels and food costs are about the same even with the favorable exchange rate.

I haven't been on a cruise in a few years and I am considering booking the 9/27/18 cruise out of Quebec. I would be travelling with my husband and two year old (who turns 3 on the cruise) . We have never been on a Disney cruise before. I am so confused on when I should arrive in Quebec to get on the boat. Since we are travelling with a toddler convenience is key, so I am planning on flying into Quebec and going straight to the boat. What time can we arrive at port and board - 4pm or is that the last time you can arrive? If we arrive at YBQ at 2pm is that too late? I am also considering coming in the night before but I feel like it is pointless to do that with a toddler, i dont think a toddler can handle certain kinds of sightseeing and the one day we have while the ship is docked overnight would be enough for him (even though I am sure hubby and I could have done lots of things over a few days when we didnt have a kid).
It's a 30 min. ride from the airport to the port, on traffic-heavy days, so you have a good chance of being on time, and of course, if the boat is staying overnight, that simplifies it much more!

I'm sure you'll find a way to do excursions on your own.

It sucks that they make it so difficult though because the province of Quebec is so safe compared to most destination that it would be nice for you to explore on your own.

Has anybody got any success with the car jrental so far?
I reserved one at the airport I think it was 70 CAD. I'm not sure if we'll do that or not.

Last edited:
ORLEANS EXPRESS BUS REVIEW (for people who will fly to or from Montreal and travel on their own)

20180615_164203-2080x1170.jpg 20180615_163641-2080x1170.jpg Hi guys,
Just a side note for those who plan to fly to Montreal and use Orleans Express bus.

I am currently in a Orleans Express bus from Montreal and going to Quebec City.

I booked in advance and paid 25$ each way (60$ total including taxes for a roundtrip).

I recommend you arrive 60 minutes before departure as they tend to overbook and boarding happens 30 minutes before the official departure time. Sometimes they will bring another bus but I wouldn't take any chance. It was the case for us tonight. 10 ppl had to get off the bus because they had no seat and they called another bus.

The bus (Keolis) is quite comfy for a "coach". My 6'2" husband has more room for his legs than he usually does in a bus. There is also free wifi and a shelf if you need to work or if you have a laptop.

The seats are leather, adjustable, with a seat belt.

I'll be in Quebec City later tonight and tomorrow until after dinner.

I'll post pictures and infos about Quebec City later tonight and tomorrow.

Last edited:

Agreed.

I don't know if you have seen but I posted a few links for car rental (open during the week-end) and shuttles to the Saguenay National Park and Tadoussac. :)
Great job - we should change the title of the thread to 'mevelandry's guide to cruising Quebec, Saguenay, and beyond'.:-)

Now, all you need to do is run them as excursions for the visiting cruise lines next year. Or as a guided tour. One season will pay for your next 3 DCL cruises!

Great job - we should change the title of the thread to 'mevelandry's guide to cruising Quebec, Saguenay, and beyond'.:-)

Now, all you need to do is run them as excursions for the visiting cruise lines next year. Or as a guided tour. One season will pay for your next 3 DCL cruises!

Hahahahahahahaha

I'm just trying to help!! :D. I want cruisers to have the best experience.

Hahahahahahahaha

I'm just trying to help!! :D. I want cruisers to have the best experience.

And for those of us visiting this area you have been so helpful!! We aren't even sailing on Disney, but I've hijacked this thread and gotten tons of great info. I've always wanted to visit Quebec, and now we are finally doing it.

Last edited:

And for those of us visiting this area you have been so helpful!! We aren't even sailing on Disney, but I've hijacked this thread and gotten tons of great info. I've always wanted to visit Quebec, and now we are finally doing it.

I have so many infos to give all of you regarding Quebec now that I have spent some time here last night and today.

The first one: is train for it! Lots of hills and stairs to climb.

But OMG! Quebec City is breathtaking. I'm in love.

(We are already excited just thinking that if we can squeeze a Canada & New England cruise to our schedule next year we are going to stop in Quebec as well! Definitely want to go back!!!)

I've taken mental notes regarding certain hotels some of you are going to stay at to check what the surroundings are.

100% fell in love with certain areas and I am going to tell you a lot about them and post pictures.

QUEBEC - STAYING IN QUARTIER ST-ROCH NEIGHBOURHOOD TO SAVE A LITTLE MONEY...

Here's a few pictures. (Will explain below.)

20180616_075048-2080x1170.jpg 20180616_074954-2080x1170.jpg 20180615_204028-2080x1170.jpg If you don't mind staying a little bit further to the port in order to save money, the Best Western Plus in Quartier St-Roch neighbourhood is good. We paid 145$/night CND for it. It's nothing special but we were looking for a clean bed and a comfortable room and this is what we got. I slept like a baby.

Google said it was more or less 30 min walk to get to the cruise terminal but you'd have to walk and climb stairs pretty fast (and not stop to take any pictures) in order to do that. We did it... in 60 minutes. Turns out we are not in shape. Lol

There are a few public elevators ("Ascenseur") here and there that can help you get on top of the hills (hovewer they operate only during certain hours) and of course there public transportation (bus) but we have not tried them.

The neighbourhood (St-Roch) used to be a ghetto 20 years ago. It has changed a lot. Much more hip now. There are nice cafés and restaurants there and luxurious shops now. Hotel Pur is there too (it's another reasonable option).

There are two or three drugstores near the Best Western and Hotel Pur so you can find anything you need.

We ate in a very popular restaurant near our hotel called "Le Bureau de Poste". Every dish (think tapas as they are about half of what you'd get in WDW) was 6$ but you could add some extras here and there for a few dollars more. Food was good and less expensive than a trio at McDonald's. Decor is based on the 80's. They have a nice terrace in the front during summer. The crowd is young though. At 37-38 yo, DH and I felt old. Lol

My phone is almost dead and I'm still on my way back to Montreal but later tonight or tomorrow I will be back with infos on the Cruise Terminal, Old Quebec, Old Port of Quebec, Terrasse Dufferin and Quartier Petit Champlain. :)

P.s.: Also have one or two restaurants recommendations.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with Hotel Le Priori in Quebec? We originally booked a round trip out of NYC on NCL, but they have cancelled all of their 10 day round trip cruises this fall and replaced them with one way cruises of varying lengths. We booked a 12 nighter from Quebec to NYC, so now I'm looking for a place to stay in Quebec for a couple of nights pre-cruise.

I found this hotel on Trip Advisor. It has great reviews and is pretty reasonably priced, considering it's in the heart of Old Town. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

Thanks!!

I got something for you regarding Le Priori. :)

I got something for you regarding Le Priori. :)

Thanks! We did end up switching hotels after you told me about the fire, though. I was worried about construction noise, so we moved to Auberge Place d Armes. I'd still love to see your info on Le Priori, though. I have a feeling we are going to want to return to Quebec someday and that hotel looked quite charming.

Thanks! We did end up switching hotels after you told me about the fire, though. I was worried about construction noise, so we moved to Auberge Place d Armes. I'd still love to see your info on Le Priori, though. I have a feeling we are going to want to return to Quebec someday and that hotel looked quite charming.

20180616_142904-2080x1170.jpg 20180616_142749-1170x2080.jpg

Ahhhh.. Forgot about the fire. From the exterior, it looks brand new and it is SO close to the cruise terminal that you would have had needed less than a 2 minute walk to get there.

The street it is situated on is so cute! Lots of art galleries. Artists were actually painting in public in front of the galleries yesterday. Also, it was just a 5-10 minutes walk to the most interesting attractions.

You are going to love the location of the Auberge Place d'Armes. It is almost next to the Chateau Frontenac and the terasse Dufferin where you can take the Funiculaire (3$) to go down and end up straight in the Quartier Petit Champlain. The information center where you can book any excursion you want is less than a minute walk to your hotel.

Last edited:
QUEBEC CITY - CHATEAU FRONTENAC AND TERASSE DUFFERIN AREA

20180616_153401-2080x1170.jpg 20180616_114714-2080x1170.jpg 20180616_114027-2080x1170.jpg

(Featuring my goofy husband with the cannons)

The area is beautiful and very busy.
You can find many hotels, restaurants, coffee shops and there are entertainers.

The terrace offers a great view of the water --between Quebec City and Lévis (pronounce Lay-Vee)-- in which the Disney Magic will navigate.

There is also access there to take the Funiculaire (3$) and go down directly into the Quartier Petit Champlain. You can also take streets and stairs in order to get there but it's not that easy to find and it's going to replace your work our session that day! LOL

Last edited:
QUEBEC CITY - QUARTIER PETIT CHAMPLAIN

20180616_120551-2080x1170.jpg 20180616_120231-2080x1170.jpg 20180616_121053-2080x1170.jpg

There are no pictures and no words who can express how charming the Petit Champlain neighbourhood is. This place is ADORABLE and fun. Great ambiance. If you want to shop for souvenirs and try Canadian and Quebecois' products, this is one of the best places to go. There are nice some nice restaurants too (more about it later). It's a 5-7 minutes walk from the cruise terminal.

View attachment 330295 View attachment 330294

Ahhhh.. Forgot about the fire. From the exterior, it looks brand new and it is SO close to the cruise terminal that you would have had needed less than a 2 minute walk to get there.

The street it is situated on is so cute! Lots of art galleries. Artists were actually painting in public in front of the galleries yesterday. Also, it was just a 5-10 minutes walk to the most interesting attractions.

You are going to love the location of the Auberge Place d'Armes. It is almost next to the Chateau Frontenac and the terasse Dufferin where you can take the Funiculaire (3$) to go down and end up straight in the Quartier Petit Champlain. The information center where you can book any excursion you want is less than a minute walk to your hotel.

We are staying at Le Priori on the night before our cruise! Thank you so much for the pics and the info!

Mevelandry, thanks for all the info and pics! We are booked at the Priori Hotel the night before boarding the Magic. It looks so quaint.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter