The official Team Not-So-Fast thread

I've been third-to-last in several races, but not been made to feel bad about it. In my first 50k when I was third-to-last (but didn't know it), the aid station folks were still there and in fact toward the end they were radioing in my position (and presumably also the runners after me) because the race director wanted to make sure to know where all the runners were - but that was a trail race - see below.

After reading some of these comments, I'd suggest some of you consider trying trail running/racing. Trail runners are much, much more mellow about the idea of running "fast" and what pace people are running (even though some of them are in fact really fast). It's so much more about doing your best and getting out there.

Because of the terrain and hills, trail running is also naturally run/walk. You walk the uphills, and lots of people walk the uphills. As you get better, you can start to run some of them, but there are always hills that everyone ends up walking, especially in a longer race.

Trail races are much smaller, so yes, there is more of a chance of finishing toward the end, but absolutely no one cares. In my first 50k (referenced above), I "ran" into the race director in my last few miles (the course had lots of crossing paths, so he was picking up signs from parts that really didn't have any more runners), and he ran to the finish with me.

There are trail races of all distances, from 5ks to ultras, so you don't have to run long to run trails.

I realize that for a lot of folks it can be hard to find natural-surface trails to run on, so that can be a downside. And you don't want to do a trail race without some experience running among rocks and roots. But if you have the opportunity, it may be worth trying. The trail running culture is so different.
I would love to try a trail race, but I have no idea if I could find any races near me! Plus it’s way too hot most of the year and too many bugs. 🤣

About 90% of my training runs and most of my non-Disney races are on trails. I've mentioned it before, but actual trail conditions can vary widely. My trail running is generally on 6-8 feet wide crushed limestone or packed dirt through forest preserves and along the 50+ mile Des Plaines River trail in suburban Chicago. I live about a mile from mile 24 of the trail, so I have a lot of options. The trail has hills and bridge crossings, but is not a single track BMX bike trail with downed trees to jump over and creeks to wade through, and roots to trip on. I've done a few races on these BMX bike trails and they are obviously a very different experience.

Many communities now have rail-to-trail options where an old railroad track has been ripped up and replaced with an improved paved or crushed rock surface. These are generally straight and flat and are a good introduction to trail running. There are also many paved bike trails through parks and forest preserves that can be an introduction to trail running.

So no excuses...get out and enjoy the trails. You may never go back to pavement pounding again!

About 90% of my training runs and most of my non-Disney races are on trails. I've mentioned it before, but actual trail conditions can vary widely. My trail running is generally on 6-8 feet wide crushed limestone or packed dirt through forest preserves and along the 50+ mile Des Plaines River trail in suburban Chicago. I live about a mile from mile 24 of the trail, so I have a lot of options. The trail has hills and bridge crossings, but is not a single track BMX bike trail with downed trees to jump over and creeks to wade through, and roots to trip on. I've done a few races on these BMX bike trails and they are obviously a very different experience.

Many communities now have rail-to-trail options where an old railroad track has been ripped up and replaced with an improved paved or crushed rock surface. These are generally straight and flat and are a good introduction to trail running. There are also many paved bike trails through parks and forest preserves that can be an introduction to trail running.

So no excuses...get out and enjoy the trails. You may never go back to pavement pounding again!
Rail trails are the best

Although, a gentle word of caution, if you’re getting into single track, just come to terms with bleeding. It just happens. Everyone gets to roll on the ground. Even the pros

Although, a gentle word of caution, if you’re getting into single track, just come to terms with bleeding. It just happens. Everyone gets to roll on the ground. Even the pros

Absolutely right. I've learned to "tuck and roll" on my way down, but sometimes it happens too quickly or there is nowhere to roll.

I'm glad you emphasized single track; this should not dissuade anyone who wants to try gentle crushed gravel or paved trails. In my opinion, they are much safer than dodging cars on the sidewalk or street.

Many communities now have rail-to-trail options where an old railroad track has been ripped up and replaced with an improved paved or crushed rock surface.
Rail trails are awesome, but to be clear, I meant natural-surface trails. Races on rail trails tend to be a cross between road races and what I would consider to be "trail" races - they tend to be smaller than road races, but bigger than trail races. I think they tend to attract more road runners than trail runners, so the culture difference that I was talking about was not there so much. Definitely a good entry point for trail running, especially if they are more of the gravel/packed-dirt variety - not as technical as more natural trails, but definitely different than pavement.

In the DC area, the C&O Canal Trail is a good example. And they have races! There is a weekly 5k parkrun, and there are a few longer races, such as Revenge of the Penguins, which runs in September and has a 10-mile and 20-mile (if I remember correctly) - some folks use it as a Marine Corps Marathon supported training run. (This is a race that specifically caters to the back of the pack, because I think the original race director was a slow runner.)

I love trails but I have to absolutely agree with you. Makes me think of a trail runner I use to see quite often and after a fall I took he said “yeah it is not if you are going to biff it, but when you are going to biff it”.

Gravity works, but running trails and trail races are ao worth it, being out in nature, positive community and the best aid stations!!!

I love trails but I have to absolutely agree with you. Makes me think of a trail runner I use to see quite often and after a fall I took he said “yeah it is not if you are going to biff it, but when you are going to biff it”.

Gravity works, but running trails and trail races are ao worth it, being out in nature, positive community and the best aid stations!!!
Speaking from experience I will choose wiping out on a trail over wiping out on wet Magic Kingdom tiles any day of the week......

Rail trails are awesome, but to be clear, I meant natural-surface trails. Races on rail trails tend to be a cross between road races and what I would consider to be "trail" races - they tend to be smaller than road races, but bigger than trail races. I think they tend to attract more road runners than trail runners, so the culture difference that I was talking about was not there so much. Definitely a good entry point for trail running, especially if they are more of the gravel/packed-dirt variety - not as technical as more natural trails, but definitely different than pavement.

In the DC area, the C&O Canal Trail is a good example. And they have races! There is a weekly 5k parkrun, and there are a few longer races, such as Revenge of the Penguins, which runs in September and has a 10-mile and 20-mile (if I remember correctly) - some folks use it as a Marine Corps Marathon supported training run. (This is a race that specifically caters to the back of the pack, because I think the original race director was a slow runner.)
Oddly, I think I’ve been part of one of those 5ks back in 1989 or so. Remember being along the Potomac, but I didn’t do much. I was there with my Mom and her other military people

Absolutely right. I've learned to "tuck and roll" on my way down, but sometimes it happens too quickly or there is nowhere to roll.

I'm glad you emphasized single track; this should not dissuade anyone who wants to try gentle crushed gravel or paved trails. In my opinion, they are much safer than dodging cars on the sidewalk or street.
I tend to body slam myself on to jagged rocks, haven’t sorted out the ruck and roll

I'm solidly on team not-so-fast, too. I haven't been a runner in decades, but I'm a decent power walker with a pace slightly faster than the balloon ladies. I recently did my first race, Springtime Surprise 10-miler, and completed it within the timeframe I was targeting. It was a bit intimidating starting way back in corral E with the balloon ladies nipping at my heels. At least I didn't get swept when I had to take an emergency bathroom break. :)

It is nice to hear that I'm in such good company. I've signed up for the Wine&Dine HM, so I'm sure I'll see some of you there. I've thought about a full marathon, and I'm worried that might be too much for me. I've talked myself into and out of it multiple times. I've proven to myself that I can do the distance over 2 days, but I'm not sure if I could do it all at once while maintaining pace.

Welcome @Flash_Sloth -- you are among friends! If your very first race ever was a 10 Miler, that's pretty impressive! It is smart to work your way up in distances and to take your time doing it. Pushing too much too fast is a recipe for injury, and there's a lot more to long distance races than the physical aspects, especially when you're on the course longer than most other runners. Don't discount the mental aspects, along with fueling and all the other details to figure out and practice.

Prepare and train for a great HM this fall, and if you like it, maybe do another next year. The soonest I would even consider a full marathon would be January 2026.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter