The Rest of Hollywood Studios

Has the idea of disembarking from Star Tours into Galaxy's Edge been totally debunked?

It wouldn't be a huge stretch to say that the "entrance" from the SW hotel to GE is very likely to be a shuttle or something you "ride" from your cruiser to the surface. You might even share some infrastructure.

(Shoot, you could even have a Star Tours tier 1 FP be the only way to get to go to the planet. Maybe only one of the simulators opens into that passageway. You use a "good" FP to ride Star Tours, but you get the experience of entering GE that way as compensation for not flying the Falcon.)

Has the idea of disembarking from Star Tours into Galaxy's Edge been totally debunked?

It wouldn't be a huge stretch to say that the "entrance" from the SW hotel to GE is very likely to be a shuttle or something you "ride" from your cruiser to the surface. You might even share some infrastructure.

(Shoot, you could even have a Star Tours tier 1 FP be the only way to get to go to the planet. Maybe only one of the simulators opens into that passageway. You use a "good" FP to ride Star Tours, but you get the experience of entering GE that way as compensation for not flying the Falcon.)

just looking at the map, there is no way for the exit of Star Tours to lead into Galaxy's Edge. This could have worked for the original location of the land, but not with where it wound up

I very much think the way to get from the SW Hotel to GE will be by "shuttle" - that I think might function (technologically) similar to the Hogwart's Express

Gotcha. I didn't know if there was still some chance of a hallway or something connecting ST to GE.

The recent Space Mountain exit reroute photos reminded me of the idea.

Gotcha. I didn't know if there was still some chance of a hallway or something connecting ST to GE.

The recent Space Mountain exit reroute photos reminded me of the idea.

yeah, I mean, theoretically Disney Imagineering should be able to come up with a solution to anything so if they really wanted to do that I am sure they could have some sort of connection, but it certainly wouldn't be efficient based on where it is located and if they really wanted to do that they would have designed it differently

Interesting. So perhaps you leave via Tatooine Alley and use part of Cypress Drive. Seems like it would make sense, but would need serious logistical investigation in my opinion. And I'm not sure how it would effect Mama Melrose's supply requirements, etc.

I don't see it being worth the investment at this time.

just looking at the map, there is no way for the exit of Star Tours to lead into Galaxy's Edge. This could have worked for the original location of the land, but not with where it wound up

I very much think the way to get from the SW Hotel to GE will be by "shuttle" - that I think might function (technologically) similar to the Hogwart's Express
Actually there was a plan to try and build a corridor of sorts where Star Tours would have emptied into the land but that fell through as it wasn't exactly a great option.

I agree about the Muppets being dated. I don't know of a single person who is a fan. My 8yo could probably name Kermit and Miss Piggy and that's about it.

I'm truly curious to see just how bad it's going to be when SWGE initially opens. I'm anticipating capacity closures for sure. But just how long the lines will be - to get in the land, to get on the rides, even the FP+... I'm also curious to see what Disney does to try and control the craziness. I'm also wondering how quickly rooms fill up for Nov/Dec for next year, seeing as how the bookings open tomorrow. I wonder, I wonder....

Well just for giggles I searched for Dec 2019 and everything for a family of 5 is booked as far as I can tell...so ya its going to be nuts.

...update went a bit further down the rabbit hole here and searched for just a basic room for 2 for a week. Everything past OCT 18th 2019 is not showing available. Hope I am searching wrong because that is NUTS!

Last edited:
Well just for giggles I searched for Dec 2019 and everything for a family of 5 is booked as far as I can tell...so ya its going to be nuts.

...update went a bit further down the rabbit hole here and searched for just a basic room for 2 for a week. Everything past OCT 18th 2019 is not showing available. Hope I am searching wrong because that is NUTS!

That's pretty much honestly what I figured would happen.

You can only book 499 days out even if the packages are out now, I think. I could totally be wrong on that though. I did also see on the resort boards today that there seem to be some glitches on the site when trying to find certain combinations of room type, number of guests, and length of stay. :badpc: So hopefully it won't be quite as full as we fear!

I agree about the Muppets being dated. I don't know of a single person who is a fan. My 8yo could probably name Kermit and Miss Piggy and that's about it.

Agreed. I don't necessarily see the staying power and with further competition from Sea World and it's upcoming Sesame Street area, it will be interesting to see how each theme park contends.

You can only book 499 days out even if the packages are out now, I think. I could totally be wrong on that though. I did also see on the resort boards today that there seem to be some glitches on the site when trying to find certain combinations of room type, number of guests, and length of stay. :badpc: So hopefully it won't be quite as full as we fear!

Ah! I think you are correct.

500 days from today is November 3rd...so yes everything from NOV 4th on would make sense being not yet open due to the 500 rule

And looking at checking in October 26th and out by Nov 3rd...the WDW site currently shows as available.

So that is likely the issue with my orignal search. Sorry for the confusion!

I think it is insane that they would get rid of Star Tours, even after the new land opens. Relocate, maybe (don't see a building for it though). My kids love it, and the fact that it changes every time means that it doesn't really get old quickly. There is too much flexibility with this ride (IMHO) to just junk it after SWGE opens.
In talking about possible expansions/additions, there are also the buildings just off from Echo Lak (idol, Drew Carey sound, and Jedi Academy) that have some options. They have been essentially vacant (except for the meet and greet squeezed in the back or could be easily relocated (Jedi academy). There is room there for one small ride or bring back two different types of show/attractions.

I think it is insane that they would get rid of Star Tours, even after the new land opens. Relocate, maybe (don't see a building for it though). My kids love it, and the fact that it changes every time means that it doesn't really get old quickly. There is too much flexibility with this ride (IMHO) to just junk it after SWGE opens.
In talking about possible expansions/additions, there are also the buildings just off from Echo Lak (idol, Drew Carey sound, and Jedi Academy) that have some options. They have been essentially vacant (except for the meet and greet squeezed in the back or could be easily relocated (Jedi academy). There is room there for one small ride or bring back two different types of show/attractions.
Problem with Star tours is it doesn’t fit with theme of the land which is set firmly on the sequel trilogy era.

Star tours is fun but it’s rife with continuity issues with the timeline. Add in the fact it’s just a simulator attraction and it makes way more sense to retheme it then try and force it into the land

Problem with Star tours is it doesn’t fit with theme of the land which is set firmly on the sequel trilogy era.

Star tours is fun but it’s rife with continuity issues with the timeline. Add in the fact it’s just a simulator attraction and it makes way more sense to retheme it then try and force it into the land
If in fact they plan to close indy stunt show, and create a new indy land there. They could reskin star tours relitavely easy and have a fairly "inexpensive" new land...it also gives them the benefit of a staged opening of said land. Since the reskin can be done in about 18months to 2 years leaving them to concentrate on the new attraction.

We just got back from a week at WDW and one thing that stuck out at me is how dated Star tours feels. I remember when it opened at DL in the 80s. It was fun and, to me, unique. Yeah, the story got old after so long, but I don’t feel like the reboot improved the story line at all and the technology seems pretty much the same. The plot now is just a weird mashup of scenes from the more recent movies. It’s not a smooth ride like other motion simulators and I no longer feel like I’m physically experiencing the action taking place in front of me. My son still enjoys it, but even doesn’t care if we skip it in the future, so if it goes away, I don’t think my family will mind.

They are just retheming Star Tours not really getting rid of the ride. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to have that separated from the land.

We just got back from a week at WDW and one thing that stuck out at me is how dated Star tours feels. I remember when it opened at DL in the 80s. It was fun and, to me, unique. Yeah, the story got old after so long, but I don’t feel like the reboot improved the story line at all and the technology seems pretty much the same. The plot now is just a weird mashup of scenes from the more recent movies. It’s not a smooth ride like other motion simulators and I no longer feel like I’m physically experiencing the action taking place in front of me. My son still enjoys it, but even doesn’t care if we skip it in the future, so if it goes away, I don’t think my family will mind.
I honestly haven’t done it in a few years because I got pretty motion sick last time (and I’m not typically prone to that kinda thing). The Hoth map in particular has made me and a few other people I’ve been with queezy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter