The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scaling back wouldn’t be a surprise at all. I imagine they’d cut the entertainment aspects of it first, leaving the hotel operational as a more standard themed hotel before cutting it entirely.
Yep exactly how I can see it going.

I’d be skeptical on the Star Wars hotel. Maybe they change the concept but the infrastructure and building it there much like tron or guardians.
I follow a member of the galactic starcrusier imagineer team and she’s still working from home on the project

I follow a member of the galactic starcrusier imagineer team and she’s still working from home on the project
I am sure she is however at the same time many of these decisions aren’t final yet and will depend on money available and how long this closure lasts. I would guess anything under construction, or green lit is being looked at for cuts.

As with everything that leaks from Disney, if it’s real (if), it’s
1) a snapshot in time, and probably will be old news tomorrow
2) highly dependent on conditions. If Disney opens the parks and they can’t keep the throngs of pent up demand away, they’re not cutting anything, not permanently. If demand collapses, things go in the bin. But that’s always the case.

As with everything that leaks from Disney, if it’s real (if), it’s
1) a snapshot in time, and probably will be old news tomorrow
2) highly dependent on conditions. If Disney opens the parks and they can’t keep the throngs of pent up demand away, they’re not cutting anything, not permanently. If demand collapses, things go in the bin. But that’s always the case.
Yeah a lot will depend on how long this goes on and how much in terms of cuts they need to make in order to build up to where they were or at least be in a comfortable place. Things are constantly changing.

Following 2008 didn’t Disney ramp up the in park entertainers and actually increase operating hours to boost attendance? I could see them cutting plans for new attractions that aren’t far along while repeating what they did in 2008 on hours and entertainers. It is cheaper and easier to end longer hours and more entertainers if they aren’t having the desired impact than it is to halt a partially finished construction project.

I'm really worried about the Mary Poppins attraction getting cut. It doesn't appear that they have broken ground on that one yet.

I’d be skeptical on the Star Wars hotel. Maybe they change the concept but the infrastructure and building it there much like tron or guardians.

that was the one that surprised me to see on the Abandoment list ... delayed, sure, but enough of it is there that I would think they would finish it at some point

I have heard from other insiders that the post shown was the "worst" case,
that being said, I can see Poppins and Moana being delayed or cancelled.
I can see delays for GotG and SSE and Epcot core, but not outright cuts.

Of course, as pointed out by Mansionbutler and insider at WDWMagic.com - if this continues to run into the summer, all bets are off

I thinks "scrapped" means until things return to normal. In 2022, I would imagine it's full speed ahead and revisiting those upgrades.

I could easily see Star Wars hotel abandoned:

1) They have a history of abandoning an ENTIRE hotel (after construction had started) during an economic downturn (half of Pop Century)

2) This is a HIGH, luxury expense -- if we hit a recession or worse, their market for people coming to this (in it's original form) has already shrunk (and could shrink over time).

3) It's probably a high cost endeavor with a lot of "actors" and tech involved in it.

It felt this was ambitious even in good economic times (again -- I felt this was a VERY limited market especially at the "roleplaying" level they were trying to sell it as).

If a "value" hotel like the other half of Pop Century gets abandoned half built .. I can see a SUPER DELUXE hotel just being left to rot. And unlike that Pop Century building .. it won't be an eyesore for years.

If anything, I could see them just scaling it back to a heavily themed Star Wars deluxe hotel with a "go visit Galaxy's edge exclusively at night" perk.

As for the other things? I fear the Epcot overhaul could be cancelled -- like maybe just "clean up" the center of future world . put down some planter . plant some trees and call it a day to get those construction walls down.
I definitely don't see them starting up or doing a SE refurb. You'd think spending money on a functioning attraction won't be priority compared to finishing the new ones more than halfway done.

1) They have a history of abandoning an ENTIRE hotel (after construction had started) during an economic downturn (half of Pop Century)

2) This is a HIGH, luxury expense -- if we hit a recession or worse, their market for people coming to this (in it's original form) has already shrunk (and could shrink over time).

3) It's probably a high cost endeavor with a lot of "actors" and tech involved in it.

It felt this was ambitious even in good economic times (again -- I felt this was a VERY limited market especially at the "roleplaying" level they were trying to sell it as).

If a "value" hotel like the other half of Pop Century gets abandoned half built .. I can see a SUPER DELUXE hotel just being left to rot. And unlike that Pop Century building .. it won't be an eyesore for years.

If anything, I could see them just scaling it back to a heavily themed Star Wars deluxe hotel with a "go visit Galaxy's edge exclusively at night" perk.

As for the other things? I fear the Epcot overhaul could be cancelled -- like maybe just "clean up" the center of future world . put down some planter . plant some trees and call it a day to get those construction walls down.
I definitely don't see them starting up or doing a SE refurb. You'd think spending money on a functioning attraction won't be priority compared to finishing the new ones more than halfway done.

They could easily convert it to a hotel with just fancy rooms and up charge it and rip out all the extra entertainment.

(Depending how far they are along inside.)

Clarification on what you said. Pop Century wasn’t abandoned that went forward and opened as planned. The Legendary Years section across the lake was stopped with the lobby and one small section of the resort built which would then become the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA.

I don’t see them abandoning this project but definitely could see them scaling back. This building is much further along than those legendary years buildings were. This is also much smaller with only 100 or so rooms.

This is also right next to a theme park. It’s harder to abandon when it’s seen from a major entry way into a theme park and can be seen from the parking lot at DHS.

Clarification on what you said. Pop Century wasn’t abandoned that went forward and opened as planned. The Legendary Years section across the lake was stopped with the lobby and one small section of the resort built which would then become the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA.

I don’t see them abandoning this project but definitely could see them scaling back. This building is much further along than those legendary years buildings were. This is also much smaller with only 100 or so rooms.

This is also right next to a theme park. It’s harder to abandon when it’s seen from a major entry way into a theme park and can be seen from the parking lot at DHS.

I think your last point is key as far as completely abandoning it - I was surprised how often we got a pretty good view of it while traveling to DHS. Now, they could put in trees and other things to screen the view, but still ....

I could see them scaling it back or maybe having like less "check-in" dates so would be like a cruise ship that is sailing 1/2 the time and in port 1/2 the time ... I feel like there will always be some people that have a lot of $ to spend on a vacation and given the relatively small size of this I still think they can do it. Now, after a year or something after all the people that have the $/willing to spend on this have gone, that is another story if the economy is still really down for a long period of time

The experience as they describe it probably was never going to be sustainable after the initial rush of people who want to do it. Unless it was priced really really well.

And what I mean by sustainable, I mean longer than 5 years. It just sounds like a lot of show and production and people to pull off and we know how Disney loves to keep on highly paid actors in their parks.

This is something I've been talking about from time to time in some threads. I really can see Disney opening up a half dozen or so "Fantasy Hotels" where you're completely immersed in a really cool resort and charge deluxe+ levels of it. Build one of these things in the NW corner of MK and really have Beast's Castle where you can stay there. You really don't need a whole game around the thing, just look really cool, then charge people 700$ a night for it and connect the stay with a normal resort stay.

Anyway, off topic.

The experience as they describe it probably was never going to be sustainable after the initial rush of people who want to do it. Unless it was priced really really well.

And what I mean by sustainable, I mean longer than 5 years. It just sounds like a lot of show and production and people to pull off and we know how Disney loves to keep on highly paid actors in their parks.
Right .. with the limited audience .. it just didn't seem like this would be sustainable after all the hardcore Star Wars fans (that are also Disney fans) pay the crazy price for this. This is why i think it is more likely that they just turn it into a "fantasy hotel" .. which .. would still be PRETTY cool and way less intimidating to a lot of marginal Star Wars fans.

Though .. I guess I didn't realize it was that visible from DHS last time I was there (Aug. 2019) as I drove in via the new entrance (which doesn't go by it). So they may not leave an abandoned building there for an extended time -- but the penny pinchers don't usually care about aesthetics.

I actually think the opposite. People lost their ever loving minds when they walled up The Castle in DLand CA last year. I know hundreds of people who cancelled all because the castle was covered.
I know people who cancelled for May because of the Big Thunder Refurb!
I think there will be a lot of people who would be super unhappy with this outcome and would cancel or reschedule just the same

I agree. We are scheduled for May 5-9, and while I highly doubt that trip is happening, if they WERE to open with those very limited stipulations, I would 100% cancel my trip. And I have an AP and fly for free. It STILL wouldn’t be worth it! Flower & Garden is about half the reason we booked this trip, so if Epcot didn’t open, that would pretty much be a deal breaker. Then take away half of the good stuff from the other parks...who *would* want to go? Locals with APs is about all I could imagine.

I agree. We are scheduled for May 5-9, and while I highly doubt that trip is happening, if they WERE to open with those very limited stipulations, I would 100% cancel my trip. And I have an AP and fly for free. It STILL wouldn’t be worth it! Flower & Garden is about half the reason we booked this trip, so if Epcot didn’t open, that would pretty much be a deal breaker. Then take away half of the good stuff from the other parks...who *would* want to go? Locals with APs is about all I could imagine.

That or just folks who come fairly often who would be up for experiencing a "different" Disney

Or if you just always come every summer and next time you could go would be the following summer anyway and figure "why not try it"

But I agree, if they are very significantly cut (like your example of Epcot closed and 1/2 stuff in other parks closed) many, many would postpone/cancel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter