The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarification on what you said. Pop Century wasn’t abandoned that went forward and opened as planned. The Legendary Years section across the lake was stopped with the lobby and one small section of the resort built which would then become the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA.

I don’t see them abandoning this project but definitely could see them scaling back. This building is much further along than those legendary years buildings were. This is also much smaller with only 100 or so rooms.

This is also right next to a theme park. It’s harder to abandon when it’s seen from a major entry way into a theme park and can be seen from the parking lot at DHS.
Yeah I agree here, I think there will be "some" scaling back regardless due to the lower than expected draw of SWL all together. But I don't see them walking away from this permanently. For one, this might DRIVE more SWL interest, and lets face it, once all the virus stuff passes(whenever that is) the economy will start to rebound. My gut says this may sit for a year or so, and then open later once things are back to more normal situations.

It is a new kind of attraction and I can't see Disney walking away from "owning" that kind of first time move.

Interesting this came up today given the recent discussion about the Star Wars Hotel

NEWS

Construction projects at Disney defunded, layoffs underway

While we don’t have a comprehensive list of projects that have been defunded and those that haven’t, we’re told that projects that are substantively far along will be finished, while those that aren’t have been defunded. As Disney looks towards the future, projects like the Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser hotel have been defunded to finish projects like Tron Lightcycle Run and Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind. Other projects that are further along like Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure will also be funded and finished with money previously set aside for upcoming construction projects such as the massive EPCOT central spine project. Disney is really trying to stretch their dollar as the uncertainty and indefinite theme park closures continue to make the future difficult to predict.

Interesting this came up today given the recent discussion about the Star Wars Hotel

NEWS

Construction projects at Disney defunded, layoffs underway

While we don’t have a comprehensive list of projects that have been defunded and those that haven’t, we’re told that projects that are substantively far along will be finished, while those that aren’t have been defunded. As Disney looks towards the future, projects like the Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser hotel have been defunded to finish projects like Tron Lightcycle Run and Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind. Other projects that are further along like Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure will also be funded and finished with money previously set aside for upcoming construction projects such as the massive EPCOT central spine project. Disney is really trying to stretch their dollar as the uncertainty and indefinite theme park closures continue to make the future difficult to predict.
My take on this is that saying that something has been "defunded" here really just means that because they had to lay off some construction staff, any remaining funds available are being diverted from lower priority to higher priority projects. I'd expect once they get things up and running, and finish up other projects, they'll re-route whatever's necessary. I wouldn't think "defunding" means the project is outright cancelled, thankfully.

My take on this is that saying that something has been "defunded" here really just means that because they had to lay off some construction staff, any remaining funds available are being diverted from lower priority to higher priority projects. I'd expect once they get things up and running, and finish up other projects, they'll re-route whatever's necessary. I wouldn't think "defunding" means the project is outright cancelled, thankfully.

definitely not cancelled but I think it means the money allocated to it has specifically been taken away and diverted to other projects. So for that original project to restart, new money would have to be allocated to it

I still think the Star Wars hotel gets done - it is something to bring more $ in, they will want to get it done - but puts it off by quite a bit more than other things

My bets:
-Mary axed
-Star Cruiser/Reflections put on indefinite hiatus (not so long that they will open in next 5 years)
-SE overhaul now just seasonal maintenance of show scenes (massive overhaul between 40th in 2022 and 45th in 2027)
-Play/Festival Center/Journey of Water hiatus and/or scaled back (targeted opening Epcot 40th in 2022)
-Harmonious delayed until October 2021 for resort 50th or 2022 for Epcot 40th
-Tron/Ratatouille/Guardianstop priority
-various unannounced plus ups planned for resort 50th/Epcot 40th scaled back/cut with outsiders being none the wiser

I think those are all the big projects aside from space restaurant but that’s Patina’s probably

Some notes from wdwmagic on what might be to come...

From Martin
Indeed. I’ve said it elsewhere that one of the few good things to come out of this might be salvaging some sense for what happens to the park.

The new entrance will happen
The kids get their 120 second coaster (shame but hey)
France gets a new marketable attraction that can be forgotten about if one wants to
The park will get a new night time show - for better or for worse - eventually.
SSE will have to see what’s left and what can be done with what’s available.

So far as I know new China CV footage should have been shot before CV19 reared it’s ugly head. How it’ll be projected remains to be seen.

Hopefully the spine project is reassessed and more sense prevails.

I dare say a lot of what was planned won’t happen as was planned. There’s a lot of reviewing going on.

In regards to the 50th
Plans are a changin‘

Magic Feather

As a note, I was told that "at worst, Harmonious gets delayed and has less pyro. The rest is too far along, and is being banked on too much. Some Epcot 3rd party restaurants have begged for Harmonious to even be fast tracked, as Epcot Forever has not been pulling the same fireworks diner numbers. That need for revenue (especially putting a fireworks show in their most spread out venue) may see Harmonious plow through while everything else is cut down to bare bones."

All too true. Some of the social distancing at WDW proposals that I have heard are downright crazy, almost to a point where I would want to see them play out, especially in regard to nighttime shows. Unfortunately, the most likely nighttime spectacular proposal that I've heard (short of cancelling them all) is my least favorite, and I have a feeling that it would upset a lot of other people too.

Correct, he’s very open about disliking the entire direction Epcot is going in.
Yeah Martin isn't exactly a fan of New Epcot.

ok, yeah, wasn't sure if it was something specific about the Guardain's ride or just in general ... comment had a very "get off my lawn!" feel to it

And got thrown but "kids" as I am very much looking forward the ride and am very much not a "kid" (and just made me think of it being referred to as a "Kiddie coaster" which is isn't)

Last edited:
Thats an understatement lol
Yeah... I do see where he is coming from being so loving of that Epcot 82 style but I also think there was some good in this project. Guardians for me certainly is one thing I am meh on. I think that property could've went elsewhere. Other things like the spine I am (or maybe now was) excited for and he was very much not.

Yeah... I do see where he is coming from being so loving of that Epcot 82 style but I also think there was some good in this project. Guardians for me certainly is one thing I am meh on. I think that property could've went elsewhere. Other things like the spine I am (or maybe now was) excited for and he was very much not.

(not to derail the thread too much)

As someone who visited as a kid to WDW int he eraly 80s and for whom, even as a kid, EPCOT was my favorite park ... I loved early 80s EPCOT and can understand not wanting to stray further away from that. Problem is that what we had currently was not working and was not really like what classic EPCOT was. So something had to be done. Were the plans 100% what I would do? No, definitely not, but it was waaaay better than doing nothing

And I would rather Universe of Energy be changed to a rollercoaster than Spaceship Earth like prior plans called for ;)

ok, yeah, wasn't sure if it was something specific about the Guardain's ride or just in general ... comment had a very "get off my lawn!" feel to it
Martin is very "Get off my lawn" when it comes to Epcot, period.

While I don't doubt that Disney is scaling back, delaying, and laying off, they'd be crazy to make final decisions to kill projects before they see what happens when they reopen the parks. I'm sure the contingency list is massive and growing, but at *some point*, things will almost certainly go back to the insane crowd levels we were seeing last month (yes, that was last month)

I agree with @TheMaxRebo that the SW hotel is almost impossible to see them canceling outright - it's one of the few projects on the list that will clearly generate revenue immediately upon opening. Most of the other projects really are more intended to forestall revenue declines by keeping the parks relevant.

I'd love to see an update on the status of the major hotel projects like All-Star Sports. All-Star Music, Port Orleans Riverside Royal Rooms, Art of Animation, and AKL Jambo. I assume OKW and SSR will continue no matter what since they're funded via DVC? But that would be interesting to know as well.

Martin is very "Get off my lawn" when it comes to Epcot, period.

While I don't doubt that Disney is scaling back, delaying, and laying off, they'd be crazy to make final decisions to kill projects before they see what happens when they reopen the parks. I'm sure the contingency list is massive and growing, but at *some point*, things will almost certainly go back to the insane crowd levels we were seeing last month (yes, that was last month)

I agree with @TheMaxRebo that the SW hotel is almost impossible to see them canceling outright - it's one of the few projects on the list that will clearly generate revenue immediately upon opening. Most of the other projects really are more intended to forestall revenue declines by keeping the parks relevant.

I'd love to see an update on the status of the major hotel projects like All-Star Sports. All-Star Music, Port Orleans Riverside Royal Rooms, Art of Animation, and AKL Jambo. I assume OKW and SSR will continue no matter what since they're funded via DVC? But that would be interesting to know as well.
I think Disney is discussing so much at the moment and like you said no plan is certainly set in stone yet. They very much are doing things day by day and defunding projects right now does make sense. I also could see though a project like Poppins just outright canceled as that was having some issues even before this.

As for the hotels thats an interesting question but one I would not worry too much about. I think we almost certainly see delays with those refurbs but rooms already started can't really just be left either. I believe OKW was mostly done or close too it anyways. Like you said though those things are covered in yearly fees with DVC so that should continue.

I would have liked Tron in EPCOT and Guardians in HS.

I can almost see now why Chapek was moved to CEO now rather than later, parks is going to be probably the most impacted by this. Also the man knows how to pinch a penny in a pinch!

I can almost see now why Chapek was moved to CEO now rather than later, parks is going to be probably the most impacted by this. Also the man knows how to pinch a penny in a pinch!
No matter who is in as CEO they would have to cut in the theme parks. There is no way around it with this. It’s unprecedented territory.

No matter who is in as CEO they would have to cut in the theme parks. There is no way around it with this. It’s unprecedented territory.
Oh I’m not arguing that at all I’m saying he’s familiar with what to cut within theme parks and most likely elsewhere. I don’t like cuts or even Chapek but I can see a logic to making him CEO during this time that needs that kind of...discerning? Eye. Maybe by the time they have themselves straight again they will be able to promote Josh D’maro to head of parks and we can get things on track?

Oh I’m not arguing that at all I’m saying he’s familiar with what to cut within theme parks and most likely elsewhere. I don’t like cuts or even Chapek but I can see a logic to making him CEO during this time that needs that kind of...discerning? Eye. Maybe by the time they have themselves straight again they will be able to promote Josh D’maro to head of parks and we can get things on track?
I will admit I was not a Chapek fan at first. I have warmed up to him a bit though. Yes he isn't the best speaker and has some negatives but so does Bob Iger. No matter who you put in charge of parks they have to report to Chapek. I personally think Josh D'Amaro stays where he is. I think he's best in that role too at least for now. He has said a lot about putting an emphasis on making the cast feel appreciated. That becomes harder the higher you go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter