The Running Thread - 2018

I did Spring 2007 from January to the middle of August at SSE. I worked as one of the ride operators and did everything that normal cast members did. The second time in 2009 I worked at Mission Space from January to May.

Q: During your time working, what time of year did you enjoy working the most? What time of year did you find not to be so great? Why?

@Jules76126 I would love to know how long you spend in a particular section of a ride in a day, like do you "greet" all shift? Or do you rotate?

We do not stay at greeter all day long thank goodness. We actually do rotate. When we get into work, we log onto the computer and it tells you where to go - relive someone for a break or you get the start of a rotation. The rotation comes out every 45 minutes to an hour so you basically stay in your position until either the hour is up or you get bumped for your break. After your break, you would log in an get another position. Sometimes when you log in there is no open spot, so you get tasks like sweep and pick up the queue - we used this as an excuse to break some more haha. This really only happened at SSE, Space didn't really have tasks.

Q: During your time working, what time of year did you enjoy working the most? What time of year did you find not to be so great? Why?

So we mainly worked closing shifts, which we enjoyed. We actually really liked EMH since it was typically more relaxed and slower. I worked before FP+ so mornings were always the worst as it was the busiest and we hated that. I likes Flower and Garden time of year. It was nice weather and not summer time crazy.

@Jules76126 I would like to know if there was a lesson from your CP time that was valuable in future employment situations. I imagine there would be unique opportunities at Disney vs. anywhere else in the normal world, and therefore different things to learn about life, work, etc.

@Jules76126 I would like to know if there was a lesson from your CP time that was valuable in future employment situations. I imagine there would be unique opportunities at Disney vs. anywhere else in the normal world, and therefore different things to learn about life, work, etc.

It was really valuable learning how to work with the public. I had worked at a local ice cream place summers in high school but this was a whole other type of customer service. I had people complain about a lot of stuff and you needed to learn to smile and keep going even when you didn't agree with them or having a bad day. You also had to learn to work with a lot of different types of people. I still keep Disney on my resume under internships as everyone wants to talk about it. I heard its not as valuable in Florida since everyone works at Disney, but in MA its a huge conversation starter. I learned a lot of great things and I also learned that Disney isn't always magic like most jobs and that is okay. I now work in college admissions and that customer service experience was very helpful.

Did it become boring after a while, or does the magic affect the CMs as well?

It was never boring. You make great friends there. At SSE there were about 10 CPs there and we were the best of friends. There is always some one to talk to and hang out with. Plus the full timers are also super friendly. In terms of the magic, it is different, but in a good way. You learn so many cool things about the parks and get to experience and make the magic every day. I personally never thought it affected anything, but I also did not work in MK so that may have changed my perception.

Q: How was life outside the parks? A while back there was a thread on Reddit that cast members told interesting stories and some mentioned that the CP made for some great parties? Any truth to that?

Q: Did guest ever request to take pictures with you? Not being a character it probably does not happen often or at all. In April we stopped by Club Cool and I was wearing my "Drink Beverly Ice Cold" shirt. I asked a cast member to take a picture with me and she was very excited about that. lol We ended up chatting for a bit and she even let the mouse buy my daughter a slushie! I think the experience was greatly appreciated by both parties.

@Jules76126 do you still keep up with your CP friends? Either your roommates or the co-workers from EPCOT? My daughter did this Fall 2017 and loved it.

I do. Mainly my friends from the 2007 program. Reason was there about 40 CPs at Space so it is harder to get closer with only 10 at SSE. So one of my friends was from Puerto Rico so he and another one of us went and visited one summer. My friend Josh and I both did the 2007 and 2009 programs so that was super cool. He also is a flight attendant and will always let me know when he is in Boston so we can meet up. I went to my friends wedding in 2015 and 5 came to my wedding 2016. I actually just talked to a bunch this week. W are still really close.

Q: How was life outside the parks? A while back there was a thread on Reddit that cast members told interesting stories and some mentioned that the CP made for some great parties? Any truth to that?

Yep totally true. I lived in Vista Way both times. So in 2007 I was under 21 so we never partied at the apartments as Disney will let you go on the spot. We actually used to either go to downtown Orlando or to Pulse nightclub - so sad when we saw the shooting. 2009 I was 21 and we always went on Wednesdays to Buffalo Wild Wings. It was CP night. House of Blues was Sundays as ladies drank free. Occasionally we went to city walk. WE partied at Vista since we were legal. And then some of the full time CPs that were in their 20s would host house parties for us. I will admit I liked to party in my 20s before full time jobs and life took over so I did take advantage of this.

Q: If you are allowed to, what are some interesting stories you can share with us? Making magical moments for guest, rude guest, guest thinking that cameras are watching them and behaving poorly. Anything good or bad...

Q: Did guest ever request to take pictures with you? Not being a character it probably does not happen often or at all. In April we stopped by Club Cool and I was wearing my "Drink Beverly Ice Cold" shirt. I asked a cast member to take a picture with me and she was very excited about that. lol We ended up chatting for a bit and she even let the mouse buy my daughter a slushie! I think the experience was greatly appreciated by both parties.

More than you think. I have had people ask me to pose with their kids as they were doing a scavenger hunt. Mainly times though, it was because our name tags had either our college or home town on them and people would strike up a convo and then want a picture. One Italian family asked for photo once. My friend and I joked we were part of their family vacation album.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter