The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: Fall? What is fall???? LOL!!! This is what I have to look forward to. Those temps don’t include factoring in humidity which will push the “feels like” temps to 100+ degrees. My poor SIL and her IL’s family are flying to WDW this afternoon from Maine.

View attachment 352537 View attachment 352538

It was so HOT in the parks last week. Probably the hottest trip I've taken to WDW.

You too, huh?? My case of the "don't wants" (which is THE perfect way to describe it) is sooooo bad this week. Ugh.

The struggle is real!

QOTD: Fall officially starts on Saturday! The end of the brutal summer runs should be coming to a end soon. Per your weather forecast, when (if it hasnt already happened) will you get some relief from the heat? What do you consider temp wise to be relief?

The guys at Space City Weather say it won't be fall, which they define as the overnight low below 65, for another 10 days. Just in time for me to get back from my trip to Kurdistan, where the highs are over 100 and the lows around 70. I might get to enjoy an outdoor run around the parking lot this trip. :)

QOTD: The Berlin Marathon was ran over the weekend, and a new world record was set for the race by a large margin. The old record was 2:02:57, Mr. Eliud Kipchoge ran it in 2:01:39, taking nearly a 1 minute and 20 seconds off the previous record. If I recall correctly he was part of the nike sub 2 project. So far todays question I wanted to revisit the question of do you think a sub 2 hour marathon is possible, and if you do, how many years until someone does it?

Yes, I know... I'm one day behind, but I had posted this chart is the Marathon Weekend thread a few years ago and have updated it with the new marathon world record. Statistically speaking, we still appear about 10 years away:

upload_2018-9-20_12-19-59.png

ETA: you will notice that there are years where the world record seems to increase over time. If you read the Wikipedia notes, that is due to (i) different governing bodies recognizing different world records, and (ii) a few disputed results.

I usually like to think of hot training runs as like in sportsball where the on deck batter puts a weight on his bat to make it harder to swing and then takes it off and goes and hits a home run during his fall running race. Except some of the temps this summer have made it seem like putting a 50 lbs weight on my bat. If I was a sportsballer.

QOTD: Fall officially starts on Saturday! The end of the brutal summer runs should be coming to a end soon. Per your weather forecast, when (if it hasnt already happened) will you get some relief from the heat? What do you consider temp wise to be relief?

Not the place for me to vent about astronomical vs. meteorological seasons, so I'll save it for later.

We're starting to cool down here. We're into the high 50s in the morning, which is really nice running weather IMO. The 70s-and-humid I was getting in Atlanta - no thank you.

Still waiting for the rains to start and wash 6 months of crud off the sidewalks. This is a family board, so I won't go into detail here, but we've got a lot of geese this time of year and they make the greenbelt trail even more of a minefield than the unleashed dogs do.

ATTQOTD: There is no fall. Fall does not exist. It will be infernally hot until it is not, and then it shall be called "Winter."

Sorry - the daily heat stroke makes me poetic. :rotfl: But no, there literally is NO end in sight here in West-Central FL. The heat index has been over 100 every day for the past week+. Instead of the overnight lows in the 70s in July and August, it now never drops below 80. I HATE September! At this point, I'd consider a low of 72 and a high of 85 to be a relief.

ATTQOTD: There is no fall. Fall does not exist. It will be infernally hot until it is not, and then it shall be called "Winter."

Sorry - the daily heat stroke makes me poetic. :rotfl: But no, there literally is NO end in sight here in West-Central FL. The heat index has been over 100 every day for the past week+. Instead of the overnight lows in the 70s in July and August, it now never drops below 80. I HATE September! At this point, I'd consider a low of 72 and a high of 85 to be a relief.

Its bad right now. I barely let my dogs out in the yard to play as there have been too many heat stroke deaths for animals lately.

Its bad right now. I barely let my dogs out in the yard to play as there have been too many heat stroke deaths for animals lately.

My daughter takes horseback riding lessons and they had to take it really easy last night. Lots of breaks and using the part of the paddock that is shaded. A lot of ranches have had their horses going down due to the temps.

ATTQOTD: Arg, the page ate my text!

Here September goes from 90s (last weekend) to 50s (today). I like having four different seasons. The light is beautiful in the Fall.

And today there is a whole range of clothing: Coats, hats, pants and sun dresses and sandals!

Lower temperatures means faster pace... until snow. And it looks good for this weekend Montreal RnR. Last year they canceled the Marathon because of heat.

ATTQOTD:
I'm going to go with a very scientific measure: it's fall when my shirt is only 60% soaked in sweat after an easy run. I'm still at 95%+ as of today.

Heh. It was unseasonably warm for the 2017 Dark Side Half, pushing 80 by the time the race ended. About 2 miles in, I looked down and there was a light spot on my shirt.

It was literally the only spot on me that wasn't soaked. (It didn't last.)

It’s in the low 70s to high 60s here for next week. But NE is weird and it could be very chilly overnight with frost so you never know. I’m really hoping the cold temps hold off as we are currently without working heat. So like to get that fixed first before it snows.

Heh. It was unseasonably warm for the 2017 Dark Side Half, pushing 80 by the time the race ended.
That's the first and so far only race where I felt like I needed to pour water down my head to feel less warm. I talked with a guy after the race wearing a clearly brand new never before worn Princess Half shirt and his Dark Side finishers medal. He felt fine during the race, but took a turn after the race and the medical tent decided to cut his shirt off immediately. Fortunately, he just needed to cool down and was fine by the time I talked to him.

That's the first and so far only race where I felt like I needed to pour water down my head to feel less warm. I talked with a guy after the race wearing a clearly brand new never before worn Princess Half shirt and his Dark Side finishers medal. He felt fine during the race, but took a turn after the race and the medical tent decided to cut his shirt off immediately. Fortunately, he just needed to cool down and was fine by the time I talked to him.

Eek. Glad to hear he came out okay.

I think I dumped some water on my head as well. The last few miles are kind of fuzzy, to be honest. There was a talk I gave at work where they requested we use a bad photo of ourselves in our slides, and the photo of me walking past Spaceship Earth was my choice.

I was guzzling water afterwards, to the point where I started feeling sick from it. A churro and a switch to Powerade helped immensely - I still needed more hydration, but sugar and salt were necessary too.

Eek. Glad to hear he came out okay.
Me too. Running is a tricky balance between learning when to tell the brain to just deal with it and when to understand certain signals the brain is sending our bodies to avoid bigger problems later on.

I think I dumped some water on my head as well. The last few miles are kind of fuzzy, to be honest. There was a talk I gave at work where they requested we use a bad photo of ourselves in our slides, and the photo of me walking past Spaceship Earth was my choice.
I think race photos that show reality are also important because they remind us of what we overcame during that particular race. Smiling really does help, but we also need to keep it real. Not every race is perfect.

I was guzzling water afterwards, to the point where I started feeling sick from it. A churro and a switch to Powerade helped immensely - I still needed more hydration, but sugar and salt were necessary too.
After working in the afternoons during the summer when I was younger, I learned real fast the importance of proper hydration. If you need more than water and aren't taking it in, you could have really big problems later.

Hey everyone! It is forever since I posted but I wanted to start becoming part of this community so here I am! I started running about three years ago, and did my first half marathon at the inaugural Star Wars Dark Side. I have run four halves since, and completed the Disney World marathon in January.

I am pretty slow (halves in the 2:25 range) but love it. It is not too bad here in the Badger state right now, with highs in the upper sixties to low 70's...but we had record rains a few weeks ago and the mosquitos have been UNBELIEVABLE. I had a few bit me through my pants the other day, so the last couple of runs have been on the treadmill in the basement. I have one more half this year, which is Halloween weekend.

I hope to get to know some of you so the next time I go to a Disney run, I have some folks to meet up with! So far I have been a solo runner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter