The Running Thread - 2018

I am having math class flash backs!

ATTQOTD: I try not to skip and find that most of the time I can reschedule if work or family obligations take priority; as they should. My big weakness is early morning runs. I want to think that I will get up early and knock out my run. I wil get things ready, set my “motivational alarm”, etc. In the morning I come up with 10,000 really good reasons to hit snooze and then hit off... then my regular alarm goes off and I feel awful! Plus then I have to squeeze the run in at a later time. Major props to all you early morning risers! I want to be more like you.

On the one mile an hour running idea there is an Ultra by Gary Cantrell (Berkeley Marathons Race Director) that is based on the idea of running a 4.16 Mile loop every hour until you can’t make it back to the start before the next loop begins. A runner can speed through the 4 miles and then rest until it is time to begin the next loop or a runner can go slow and simply be ready to head out on the next loop almost immediately. Either way it is 4.16 miles every hour and you have to be in the starting area when it is time to go. The winner is not who finishes first but who keeps going the longest - last runner standing. I believe the winner one year reached 240 miles! And to win you have to do one extra loop after every other runner has quit. Insane!

I'm looking for advice on golf courses at Disney World. Anyone have a recommendation? I looked a little in the DIS, I am overlooking the "Golf" type threads? TIA

I always loved Fantasia Gardens, but then I tried Winter Summerland and was wowed but that. I especially love the winter side. Sorry, that is the extent of my knowledge of anything golf. Real golf isn't my thing.

On the one mile an hour running idea there is an Ultra by Gary Cantrell (Berkeley Marathons Race Director) that is based on the idea of running a 4.16 Mile loop every hour until you can’t make it back to the start before the next loop begins. A runner can speed through the 4 miles and then rest until it is time to begin the next loop or a runner can go slow and simply be ready to head out on the next loop almost immediately. Either way it is 4.16 miles every hour and you have to be in the starting area when it is time to go. The winner is not who finishes first but who keeps going the longest - last runner standing. I believe the winner one year reached 240 miles! And to win you have to do one extra loop after every other runner has quit. Insane!

Do you follow Harvey Lewis? He is a local runner here, but total bada$$ ultra runner and competes world wide. He did The Big Backyard Ultra in October which consists of running a 4.17 loop every hour. He finished 2nd after 58 hours and 242 miles. Check him out. He also won Badwater in 2014 and a bazillion other things.

https://www.facebook.com/harveylewisultrarunner/

ATTQOTD: I don't skip runs. I might move them to a different day, but they get done. My biggest challenge is my kids and their schedule. My daughter having the flu for a week threw a wrinkle into my routine. I have also have run at 4:30 am and 10:30 pm when necessary. This is why I keep a fluid schedule.

Reading this reminds me of those math problems in school for some weird reason (maybe because it has been a long day). If train A and train B each leave their stations at 6:00 PM and they are 100 miles apart, how many apples does Joe have? LOL.

The solution can only be determined while running a marathon...

BTW I really enjoyed this comment and the answers that followed!

A very early fun Friday QOTD: (VEFFQOTD) If you had the power to bring back any past attraction, show, food item, or character, what would you choose?

ATTQOTD: This one is hard to just pick one! Food wise I would love for all Starbucks locations to be removed and returned to their former glory, followed by a return of the pot roast on top of mac and cheese in MK. But, my one true wish is that the opening show in front of Magic Kingdom would return. The morning show in front of the castle (Have only seen YouTube videos of it) is really bad! The show at the entrance was a classic and amazing with the train, characters, mayor, songs, the family that would get picked to be a part of it all!!! It's everything you would want it to be and it was 100% Disney. They have now sold their soul to the devil to make a few extra bucks on coffee in the parks. :mic:

Ok, Ill calm down now about it, but we should really start a petition that Disney will ignore. Its also likely they did this for other reasons and I am wrong... but I still want the old way back! Did they bring it back and I just dont know??? Doubt it..

A very early fun Friday QOTD: (VEFFQOTD) If you had the power to bring back any past attraction, show, food item, or character, what would you choose?

Attraction: Horizons
Show: Lion King (the one they used to have where Philharmagic is now)
Food Item: Wasabi Shrimp Salad at California Grill
Character: In some ways, us runners get to see a lot of the retired/rare characters along the course more than most (i.e. Meeko, Oswald, Clarabelle, Horace, Dopey, etc) but it's been a long while since I've seen Hercules, Megera, Mushu

ATTQOTD: This one is hard to just pick one! Food wise I would love for all Starbucks locations to be removed and returned to their former glory, followed by a return of the pot roast on top of mac and cheese in MK.
They had pot roast on top of Mac and cheese??!?!!! I didn’t know this until a minute ago but now that’s the thing I want back.
One thing I’ll say about Starbucks, I personally don’t love it, but my brother for instance climbed the walls on a previous trip when he couldn’t find Starbucks on property. It was his routine. Although to your point there is no reason why they can’t have Starbucks coffee in select places without changing all the signage etc to *Starbucks*. Just keep it the same except the coffee served.

ATTQOTD: I miss the animation sessions at Hollywood Studios. My DD and I always had a blast.

I believe they moved the welcome show for security reasons. The huge crowd gathered outside could have been a potential issue.

ATTQOTD: My favorite ride when I was a kid was 20,000 Leagues. More recently, definitely Backlot Tour.

I saw pictures of Robin Hood, Friar Tuck and Little John at the most recent DVC Moonlight Magic event. I don’t think I’ve seen them since I was a kid. I don’t do many meet and greets but I would stop for them.

I am not sure how difficult this would be and would like to think I could do a lot of this. It doesnt seem like it would be hard, but maybe over the course of many hours it would be. What if you started the first hour at 7:00, but ran the mile at 7:50, then started mile two at 8:00, then wouldnt you in theory have until 9:50 to run the 3rd mile giving a nice little rest between...

We could make a game out of this. Start at 7AM 1 mile and 1 beer each hour. At what time would you be done at? Which one would cause you to stop?
I think by 2 PM I would be done. lol

I suppose you could combine this with the case challenge (24 beers in 24 hours) people do in college. If you use beer mile rules, most people wouldn't last too long. If you allowed for drinking the beer after each mile, it'd be much easier and likely to have people make it 12 hours or more.

ATTQOTD: Main Street Electrical Parade for sure!

PS. Love the answers @Dis_Yoda, @huggybuff, @SarahDisney and @rootbeerkid! They brought a smile to my face on this Friday morning!

Edited to add: @LSUlakes there is no way I could solve a math problem during a marathon, I can barely do the math to figure out how many miles are left after about mile 18 because my brain shuts down! :rotfl2:

ATTVEFFQOTD: I'm going to copy @Bree and say the animation academy. We only got to do it once the year before they took it away and we had a great time doing it. I was so disappointed when they took it away. :(

Horizons because I never got to experience it. Although Adventurers Club is up there too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!