The Running Thread - 2020

I have my third post-COVID in person race of the year tomorrow and, keeping with my theme so far, it is off road. It is more cross-country than trail but still. There are two Christmas races that are on the road I will do if they don't get cancelled but as of right now those two will be my only in-person road races of 2020. I ran some numbers on previous years and so far the year I ran the least races was last year with 15 so this year will be my new low:

YearCount
15​
19​
20​
21​
21​
22​
23​
25​
27​
28​
29​
29​
30​
31​
37​

I have my third post-COVID in person race of the year tomorrow and, keeping with my theme so far, it is off road. It is more cross-country than trail but still. There are two Christmas races that are on the road I will do if they don't get cancelled but as of right now those two will be my only in-person road races of 2020. I ran some numbers on previous years and so far the year I ran the least races was last year with 15 so this year will be my new low:

YearCount
15​
19​
20​
21​
21​
22​
23​
25​
27​
28​
29​
29​
30​
31​
37​
Wow! Impressed by the sheer volume (and I'm sure, quality) of your races. The fact that you got in 15 this year is pretty darn good.

Wow! Impressed by the sheer volume (and I'm sure, quality) of your races. The fact that you got in 15 this year is pretty darn good.

Quality goes up and down but I like racing, even with it isn't pretty. That 15 was 2019. This year including virtual I'll likely be under 10.

Race recap- the Cumming half marathon (also a marathon option and a marathon relay option). This was a local race and the first year for it, and it was put on by a local running store. The start had runners spread out 6 feet apart, with about 4 people starting every 10 seconds. It was a fairly small race, with about 250 for the half and a little over 100 for the full. The course never felt crowded. It was a cup less race, so water stops had small individual bottles of water and a cooler with Skratch in it that you could fill your personal bottle with (I just carried my own). Finish line was just bananas and water, and you got your medal from a table. No awards ceremony.
Weather was pretty nice - in the 60’s but mostly overcast and breez.y. The course was crazy hilly so I was happy to squeak in just under 2 hours at 1:58. I only had to walk one super steep hill.
I am so grateful for any in person races this year, and it was a really great event for our little north Atlanta suburban town!8DEFA6D9-909D-4F40-A933-5C769AF6F7A1.jpeg2289820B-EDFB-4545-80F6-8CB6F9B835DF.jpeg799D0382-7AAD-49EE-9B86-7CAFD7695152.jpeg

When I was out running this morning, I saw someone with an old race shirt on. It looked oddly familiar. It was a 100% cotton long sleeve race shirt. It was the 10th anniversary Disney Marathon shirt. It was from Jan 12 2003. I had to look very hard when i saw it. I was like i know that shirt. When I ran by her, I said, "that is an old shirt". Her reply, "You must know this shirt." I said, "I sure do, I have one." It was such a happy moment.

So last night I had a race nightmare.....which is a bit odd since not only do I NOT have an upcoming race, I am also not even mildly in training for anything. Nevertheless, it was chock full of all the usual race nightmare themes........

I was running "Boston", only I was only doing a half. I was really worried about making a specific time (Nightmare element #1), but in a telling sign of getting older, the time was a fair bit slower than any previous PR. I was running towards the front of the race, it seems (yeah right) and then suddenly found myself alone and off course (nightmare element #2). In order to get back on course, I had to run through what seemed to be a multi-level mall or atrium, going up and down steps (#3,4). I'm pretty sure I plowed through a lot of people who were in my way. I made it back to the real course and then woke up.

Weird.

So last night I had a race nightmare.....which is a bit odd since not only do I NOT have an upcoming race, I am also not even mildly in training for anything. Nevertheless, it was chock full of all the usual race nightmare themes........

I was running "Boston", only I was only doing a half. I was really worried about making a specific time (Nightmare element #1), but in a telling sign of getting older, the time was a fair bit slower than any previous PR. I was running towards the front of the race, it seems (yeah right) and then suddenly found myself alone and off course (nightmare element #2). In order to get back on course, I had to run through what seemed to be a multi-level mall or atrium, going up and down steps (#3,4). I'm pretty sure I plowed through a lot of people who were in my way. I made it back to the real course and then woke up.

Weird.

I don't know if it is the lack of racing but I actually haven't had my normal race dreams. I've had similar ones where you had to run through weird stuff or structures to get back on course. I have one a lot where the race course is like a maze and I manage to get lost.

On a side note has anyone started their Christmas shopping yet? I haven't gotten anyone else anything yet but I'm taking advantage of some deals to get myself running stuff. I found an Ultimate Direction running vest on sale today and I've been stocking up on some winter running stuff I could wear to run commute to work. That is what the UD vest is for actually, not really ultra running hydration.

Anyone else have any running or fitness stuff they are eyeing for discounts?

Anyone else have any running or fitness stuff they are eyeing for discounts?

Nothing routine, but I am trying to decide if I want to invest in a treadmill, and finally give up the gym membership. I doubt though that any treadmill I'd be interested in would be on sale.

Nothing routine, but I am trying to decide if I want to invest in a treadmill, and finally give up the gym membership. I doubt though that any treadmill I'd be interested in would be on sale.
I have been debating this for the last month, but concluded I would need to pick a new house on Black Friday sale to accommodate it. We did not plan on living in a smaller house this long, let alone while perpetually virtual schooling two kids and juggling 2 grownups working at home as well. I had briefly hoped the treadmills at work would be reopened, but we are now remote until June so that dream evaporated, leaving me to conclude there will be very few January and February miles in 2021.

We did get one in June but it is mostly for my wife. I've used it a few times but I'm an outside even if the dead of winter runner. I can tell you she is 100% glad we got it and it is nice to have it as an option. We went with the Sole F63 which is normally $1,800 but is on sale for $1,000. That is the price it was in June so I don't know if that is actually a sale or the normal price with the MSSRP that it never sells for listed. It is really well built for that price and the one that stood out when we did the research back in June.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter