The Running Thread - 2020

@Waiting2goback congrats on the new bike! And like others have said, falling over when learning the art of clipping in/out is a rite of passage and all cyclists have done it. If you have a trainer, practicing on that can be great. Also, if you can practice on a quiet street or park along the edge where the grass is, that is a more forgiving surface to fall on than asphalt! And PS - toppling over at a stoplight with drivers all staring at you is super awesome) :rotfl2:

March totals:
Run = 112.6mi
Bike = 300.7mi
Swim = 7900y (sadly, I haven't swam in almost 3 wks because they closed the pools - I know I am losing a lot of fitness in the pool right now but glad I can still run and bike!)

March Running Summary

A reasonable month in the end especially as I missed a week with a head cold! Every Single Street running continues to be on hiatus and I'm running a dull but functional 3km loop from home.

Distance = 165km
Elevation = 2,270m
Pace = 5:24 min/km

I'm also 7 days in to a not a run streak run streak. Considering making it an official lockdown run streak, legs are holding up nicely for now :-)

Yes, you will it’s a rite of passage for all cyclists. It happened to me when either I couldn’t clip out fast enough like @camaker describes above, or I manage to unclip, put one foot down, and then lean the wrong way. Embarrassing for sure, but everyone’s done it.
The owner told me to unclip earlier than I think I need so I can avoid issues. I still haven’t figured out how to clip in while the shoe is on my foot. Got it down pat when I’m sitting next to the pedal on the ground and have it in my hands.

Tomorrow is supposed to be nice so it will be day two on the bike and a new month to start tracking mileage. I’m excited.

For those with bikes what kind do you have?

March miles = 164

Even though my March race was canceled, April race deferred to September, May race not canceled yet but no way it’s happening and June race very unlikely, I ended up running more miles in March than planned simply because it is the only activity I normally do that wasn’t upended by the virus fear. Unfortunately, the things I enjoy most - doing races, attending sporting events and playing music at clubs will be the last thing that come back and probably won’t come back until there is a vaccine next year. I have 4 races planned for the Fall - including Wine and Dine and I would say they are doubtful at this point. I am hopeful for marathon weekend as I do think things will be more curtailed by then. Now whether we have jobs and whether Disney is even still doing races by then is still to be seen. But again. I am hopeful.

February = 101
January = 110

2020 total miles = 375

March summary:
45.7 miles

This was a crazy month. That’s actually my second highest monthly mileage so as much as I was initially disappointed in the figure I’ve decided that I’m actually pleased with it.

For the foreseeable future I’m going to try and see if I can get my mileage up a little more. That’s really all I can do with my May race cancelled.

I have a 2007 Trek 1600WSD. It has served me well, fits me great, and is, at this point, all I need in a (road) bike. I used it for my one and only Half IM. It helps that I have a live-in bike wrench (my DH) who is capable of keeping it in top order.

March Totals: 91.6 miles. Pretty consistent with Jan/Feb. I have switched to just running every other day, and then doing strength workouts/yoga on the alternating days.

March Totals
203.51 miles
7:24 min/mile

Highest mileage month for me simply since that's the main form of exercise now since the gyms shut down in middle of the month. Hopefully if the weather warms alittle in May, I'll get out for some bike rides too.

I have a Giant Contend SL 1. Give it a few rides and clipping in will come as second nature.

March 2020 Training Summary

Running duration = 20:35 hours
Running mileage = 147 miles
Average Pace = 8:23 min/mile (about 107 sec/mile slower than estimated LT)
Average HR = 134 (69% HRR)
Indoor Cycling duration = 19:45 hours
Indoor Cycling mileage = 308 miles
Indoor Cycling average power = 158 watts
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 168 watts
LIIFT4 Strength = 7:06 hours
Total Training Time = 47:27 hours

Well as we all know, things changed quickly in March. My April marathon was cancelled and so I had a decision to make on how to approach training. It's hard to say when racing will return, so I decided to try something new and out of the box for me. I'm training for the mile. The goal is to break 6 minutes (PR is currently 6:01 from a 5k time trial in 2017). So I switched the focus from endurance to pure/raw speed. The cycling training shifted from VO2max and Tempo intervals to a supportive role. And I went from 4 days running, 4 days cycling, 3 days strength to 5 days running, 3 days cycling, and 3 days strength. It has been since Summer 2018 since I've done 5 running days per week. Following the structure of the Daniels 1500/2mi training, but with edits for my pace relative to the plan. So far the training has gone well this month. I just started week 3 today. I hit 4:17 pace during a 150m interval today, set a new 400m PR at 1:16 (5:05 pace), and 600m PR at 1:58 (5:16 pace). I'm enjoying the pure raw speed and happy with the progress thus far.

March. Wow, what a month. I don’t think I’ve ever had a month that was quite so bipolar. Both health and running have had crazy highs and lows.

On the health front, I’ve been focusing on getting my weight down since Marathon Weekend. I’ve managed to take off 17-18lbs in that time frame, which I’m very happy with. On the flip side, though, I ended up having to run the last two weeks of the month with an active kidney stone. Not fun at all! Especially as it was active during my virtual marathon! Fortunately, it has passed at this point so April will be a bit more comfortable.

On the running front, I continued my rapid ramp up back to marathon peak volumes with the intention of running the Tobacco Road Marathon as both a PoT race and a final long training run for the Blackbeard’s Revenge 100k at the end of the month. Training went very well and I felt fully healthy when the marathon was cancelled. I ran it as a virtual on a more challenging course and both successfully completed my trial of Tailwind and met my PoT goal, so yay? The ultra organizers seemed committed to holding the race, with ~100 entrants split between two start points and spread over a 100 mile course. Then the county it was being held in closed its doors to non-residents and it all fell apart. It’s very disappointing missing out on those two races, but it is what it is. Running outside is still critical to my stress management and I’m a solo runner so the virus really hasn’t affected my ability to do that.

All in all, March was a successful month from a running standpoint. Here are the numbers:

March Running Summary
Distance: 161.45 miles
Time: 28:52:15
Average Pace: 10:43/mi
Average HR: 143

We’ll see what April has to offer. I’m in a bit of plan limbo after SWRR was cancelled. I’d like to stay in shape to hit a PoT race on short notice if and when races return, as I don’t have as good a PoT for W&D and MW as I’d like. Everything is in a holding pattern, though...

I have a Specialized Roubaix Sport. My only wish is that I’d moved up one more model for the hydraulic disc brakes.

March Totals:
Run Miles: 25.12 mi
Time: 5:42:32 hours
Avg Pace: 13:38 min/mi

That's actually more miles than I thought I'd get. I've lost most of my interest in running and when I have other options, it can be hard to get out there and run. I'm trying to commit to running 2x/week during April. We'll see how it goes.

Non-Running:
15 barre classes (1 Bar Method, 3 barre3 in-studio, 11 barre3 online)
1 Flywheel class

March 2020 totals
Distance: 160km (99 miles)
Average speed: 5’55’’/km (9’30’’/mi)

A great running month for what was weeks 5-8 of a 16 weeks Marathon training plan. I am particularly happy with the average speed. I can explain it because I ran mostly around home (always past the 12th) which is flat compared to the mountain downtown and has no traffic light but also because increasing my pace was one of my focus. Also, when DH and both DD joined me, they were faster than previously.

I am trying to decide what plan to follow in April. I have 11 weeks before I start a new plan for my current Fall objectives. Blindly staying with my current Marathon plan would not necessarily bring me where I want to be when I start that next plan in June.

ETA:
Since everyone in the family is now a runner, we have decided to aim, between us, to run 2020km in 2020.
2020 Family Challenge total ran: 585km

Last edited:
March Totals:

106.5 miles
Average pace: 14:02

Other news:
- I’ve lost a total of 16 lbs
- I’m finding this working from home business isn’t too terrible even with children.

The craziness of the month has given me time to get in more miles since I can be flexible with work hours. I did do what I planned as far as slowing down and my body has greatly appreciated it. Easy and long runs have been my go-to. I’d like to say I plan to start adding speed workouts back in for April but who knows at this point.

March Miles: 89.3
Average Pace: 11:32/mile
2020 Miles: 235.1

What a crazy month!!! On the 1st I ran the Hot Chocolate 15k, not realizing it would be my last big event for the foreseeable future (although things were already starting to get weird in Seattle...) I have been exclusively working from home since March 6th. My St. Paddy’s Day half marathon was cancelled and converted to a virtual race. I have been using this as an opportunity to continue focusing on my physical therapy. I have made a lot of progress and have a few weeks left (it is my big weekly outing!) Hopefully this work will put me in a good place for whenever training begins again (my next scheduled race isn’t until August).

April was supposed to bring my annual trip to Arizona. But, I will be postponing until things settle down...which is hopefully sooner than later!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!