The Running Thread - 2020

I haven't replied because actually, for me, very little has changed in the past few weeks. I live in NS, Canada (so on the very East coast, even more east than the Eastern time zone!) but we are a peninsula, so it was slow-ish getting to our province.
I went for a group run on the 15th of March, and had an injury flare up so I planned on taking the next 1.5-2 weeks off anyway. Both the husband and I are still working (he is a bakery manager at a grocery store and my company produces medical tests - not for this disease, but others which of course don't take breaks due to pandemics).

So the only real difference in the past bit is, we literally only go to and from work. No gym, no socializing, no 'I'll just stop in here after work'. I'm sure once I get back at running and miss my running buddies it will feel more different. Well, we also disinfect the door handles, wash things more often, take our temperatures daily before going in to work etc. So I guess our routines have changed a bit.
Stay safe, and sane everyone!

Not too much has changed for us here. DH and I work from home full time anyway, so really it's just having the kids at home. DD is 14, so she stays in her room only to come out a couple of times each day, complain about something, get food, then go back to her room. DS is 12 so he's more interactive. He and I are going on more bike rides in the neighborhood. They are starting to get virtual school set up. It starts officially on Monday.

Running is good. Just got a new @DopeyBadger plan for a HM I have in July. It's in Oregon wine country. We're in FL. So, hopefully travel will be smoothed out by then.

Just got a new @DopeyBadger plan for a HM I have in July. It's in Oregon wine country. We're in FL. So, hopefully travel will be smoothed out by then.
I do not believe, that there are any races the next few month. I am as well on an @DopeyBadger plan, but stopped it last week, they canceled the HM I was training for. Right now, I am only doing some easy runs, to avoid the "Open Window" Effect. Hope to be back on a regular plan soon.

Not too much has changed here other than less traffic when I’m forced to leave my house 🤣

I’m a SAHM and both kids were on spring break last week. School is cancelled until 4/15 and our county is going online for school 3/30. DS already takes some virtual high school classes and DD has taken one last year and this year in middle school so we are more than ready.

DH had been working from home for years until recently. He started a new job in February and needs to physically be there in addition to needing to wear suits and jackets again. His office closed, but everyone has the capability to work remotely. I never thought I’d say this, but I think I like it when he is in the office better. I feel guilty when he comes out of his office and I’m just sitting around surfing the web.

I‘m just trying to keep my base after being sidelined with sickness and a horse stepping on my toes. The 10K I was planning to race in April was postponed until June. I’m just recycling an old @DopeyBadger right now until it’s time to train for Chicago. I do better when I have a plan to follow instead of just running “whatever”.

Honestly, it's been hard to run lately. The kids have distance learning and doing well at home. Even my DH has asked me to go run but I feel completely unmotivated. I hate racing, so training for a race isn't an issue. Perhaps it's because my local trail is swamped, so social distancing is impossible and I have to run alongside a highway. I think it's more the stress of everything that's going on even though running is usually my stress relief. Already work is starting to get crazy and I dread what will come - both in healthcare and the economy. The stress of work/professional decisions have really been weighing on me. I've actually had random strangers ask if I was ok at grocery stores!

Sorry, not trying to be a downer. This board is wonderful and everyone is well-meaning. Be kind to one another. Please please please practice social distancing to protect yourself and others - the healthcare system WILL be overloaded. You can always connect over the phone/zoom/etc. There are many young previously healthy people intubated in the ICU with COVID-19.

A little humor for the "old folks" on this board, as we while away the hours at home. I wrote the following about 7-8 years ago when I had yet another running injury to recover from. Sing it to The Beatles "When I'm 64".

As I get older, gray in my hair, creaky joints and all
Will I still be able to run sub-9?
Win my age group, feeling so fine
Now I’m just jogging, here at the gym
Treadmill’s such a bore
I was so speedy, now I’m just needy
Stuck on 6.4

Every summer I will pick a plan to help me run a fast race, and it will be clear
I will train and train
Hill workouts once a week,
Fartleks, tempo, pain!

Plug in the Gramin, download the stats, time for a review
Indicates precisely what I ran today
Slower, slower, fading away!
Maybe I’m old and maybe I’ll be
Slow forevermore.
I was so speedy, now I’m just needy
Stuck at 6.4

A tiny little rant: I am very annoyed by the people out walking in our parks who are NOT practicing social distancing and are taking up half of the walking trail walking side-by-side. I mean, if you see a person approaching, can you not just walk single file? Many times this morning I had to run off the trail, into muddy grass, or stop altogether and step off the trail, because people were just not respecting the space. I don’t want our parks to get closed because people aren’t doing what they are supposed to.
/rant

A tiny little rant: I am very annoyed by the people out walking in our parks who are NOT practicing social distancing and are taking up half of the walking trail walking side-by-side. I mean, if you see a person approaching, can you not just walk single file? Many times this morning I had to run off the trail, into muddy grass, or stop altogether and step off the trail, because people were just not respecting the space. I don’t want our parks to get closed because people aren’t doing what they are supposed to.
/rant
Totally agree. I've seen groups of people just hanging out closely together at the park. I'm pretty certain most of them are not family living in same household. I'm also concerned that they'll just close the parks.

Add me to the rant. With gyms closed, beaches closed, state parks closed, and WAY too many snowbirds and tourists still here (FL), they're all in the local parks I normally run in to get away from people. And yep, they have no concept of what 6' means. It's very frustrating and wrecking my run zen.

Rant +....adding on...with the exception of one person, I have ended up moving 6+ ft away from numerous people who gave no sign of moving. Wouldn't you think at least one person would wave/say thanks/say hello when I pass them? Big Nope. People continue to be selfish idiots.

/rant
Many people aren’t taking it seriously. I drove by a Dunkin Donuts the other day and there were people outside and restaurants are supposed to be closed for everything but delivery and drive thru. It’s going to make this last way longer than needed. People in this country just have this sense of entitlement and don’t follow rules if they don’t feel like it. It’s sad.

I prefer the expression physical distancing to social distancing because I socially want the society to be united and supportive... by keeping a physical distance.

I would say that 99.9% of the people I pass or cross path with in the streets in our area are respecting physical distancing when taking a walk or run. Sometimes it means that I end up right on the yellow line in the middle of the street. One thing that I really try to do, in top of keeping my physical distance, is to say hi, smile, wave or nod. For some people that is the only social/relational/emotional contact they will have in their day, it can make a huge difference. I encourage everyone to do the same. It is a bit disheartening when you realize that people see you, acknowledge your presence by physically spreading apart but look at you as if you were a virus instead of a human being.

The same goes with drivers. Most of them slow down when walkers/runners have to be extra wide on the streets. There are unfortunately a few who seem to think that, with less cars on the road, the speed limits do not apply. The last thing I would want is to send someone to the hospital because I was racing residential streets to go shelter at home.

Please stay safe and, as any good coach will say, smile! It makes whatever you are doing easier.

I keep reminding myself that we are lucky. I’m full-time remote so I’m used to working from home/teleconferencing, etc. We live in a house that had enough space to relocate my husband’s “office” to another room so that we both have private space. My dad lives with us and is thick as thieves with my daughter, so he’s taken over the role of preschool teacher and primary entertainer while her daycare is closed. We are very lucky.
But this IS stressful. My kid is 4. She can’t distance learn — can’t even read. And I feel bad dumping her on my dad for hours on end while we work. My race got postponed to October, so the time I’d normally take for myself to run or hit the peloton sees me going to find my kid to give my dad a break. Moments to myself have disappeared. My kid has been so resilient but I can see sadness when she thinks of her friends and her teachers. My husband doesn’t work from home full time normally and he’s super social. So I’m trying to support his adjustment too. A memorial service for a family member is postponed months. Milestone birthday celebrations cancelled. Both were across the country so I get it.
The scarier thing is that everyone in my house is at risk. My dad and my kid especially. And they’ve both had bad colds recently (never have I been so relieved at a sickness including a runny nose!).
All of this sounds so trivial. So really, we are fine. We are lucky. We’ll continue to try to recognize that and to offer support in our small ways to those in our community that need it.

Totally agree. I've seen groups of people just hanging out closely together at the park. I'm pretty certain most of them are not family living in same household. I'm also concerned that they'll just close the parks.
This was a stated reason for closing our parks. And it breaks my spirit even if I do understand it.
Schools were closed, and many families were still working (my office was open), and the middle and HS kids were just hanging at the parks, together. I am sure their parents had no idea they were smoking behind the elementary school, making out on the picnic tables, or playing football and soccer with large groups.
Sending the whole state home gave a bit more supervision, but not much as now half of the parents are in a bedroom with their laptops and headsets.

It was a beautiful morning here in atlanta for a run. Piedmont Park and the Beltline are open. I am not sure for how long. We have been in the park in the morning and after work. The morning and lunch time is fine. People are out but not so many that it is easy for social distancing. We take mallory out in the morning after we run. I need to get her out both morning and evening or she drives us crazy. She is perfectly content in her wagon getting pulled around the park. In the evening the park is pretty crowded. I will say it seemed slightly less crowded yesterday. I am not sure the social distancing is working then though because there are just too many people. I certainly hope they don't close the park here. i need to run for my sanity and mallory needs that walk. We had a few days of rain and we walked in the parking garage. Mallory did not really think that was fun.

/rant
I decided that last saturday would be my final run at my usual trail. I showed up at the crack of dawn, and there were still lots of people training 2-3 abreast and failing to go single file when coming across a runner from the opposite direction. People were passing closely from behind, too. Thankfully, my new panic-bought treadmill arrived this week, so I no longer have to be part of the problem.

Really random question- does anyone know where I can download WDW parks music? I'm specifically looking for the Magic Kingdom entrance loop. I can get it on youtube, but I'd like to stream it or download it.

I have been playing Disney instrumental music (Jim Brickman Disney and Carthay Circle) in the background while working, but looking for something different.
(Also my mood greatly improved after changing to music from the news ;) )

It was a beautiful morning here in atlanta for a run.

Same here in North Georgia. Cooler feeling than I expected, based on the temperature.

I went down to the (closed) college to run. I saw 4-5 other runners/walkers. It was not hard to practice proper distancing.

Sign of the times: I finished my run and got back to my vehicle and immediately overdosed on hand-sanitizer (rubbing, not drinking) even thought I had not touched anything. I glance over, and the guy in the vehicle next to me is doing the exact same thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!