The Seas are full of WONDER and waves! Our first Disney Cruise - 7-night Eastern Caribbean; Feb 2018

Yay for power!

Joining in! We will be on the Wonder in 24 days! We are just doing a three night cruise before a week at Bay Lake Tower, but I am so excited for the cruise portion! I can’t wait to see Tiana’s!

I have that same shirt! I am obsessed with the Connecting With Walt podcast, and I love Michael Bowling! I also have that Jim Korkis book and plan on bringing it with me on he cruise! I feel like I’m just totally copying you :rotfl2:

I think your gifs are cool. I don’t know how you do that, but it’s like looking at moving pictures and it’s neat that we don’t have to click a YouTube link, or anything.

Can’t wait to read more!

Thanks for joining - and how exciting you will be on the Wonder soon! Obviously I have nothing to compare it to but we really liked the ship overall and we really loved Tiana's - such a great idea and addition!

haha, well, I'll just say "great minds think alike" ;)

Thanks! For the gifs I just take movies that I took with my camera (they are in mp4 format) and there are online tools where you can upload them and they convert the format to gifs - before and after I do some editing to get them to the length I want (try to keep it 10 secs or less) and crop as needed, etc. - but fairly simple once you get the hang of it. I like including them as sometimes a moving image conveys what's going on more than a still one and I think it is something unique to my trip reports vs others

Following along, great start!

Thanks for joining and thank you!

I was hoping the waves bit referred to the warm welcome that you got from all the friendly crew members. But I guess I'm not surprised. After our last Caribbean cruise in 2011, we vowed not to do another early March sailing again because of rough seas. But now we're booked on one because my son really wanted to do SWDAS. I guess we will have to hope that 2019 is a better weather year than 2018.

I'm glad you finally got your power back! Hopefully we're done with big storms for a while. (Or, at the very least, hopefully all the branches that were going to fall on power lines have already come down at this point).

Haha, no, definitely some rough seas, especially the first few days. We talked to a number of people who had been on multiple cruises and they said this was the worst they have ever had (at least for the open sea parts, they said sometimes going into/out of ports can be rough but usually the open seas are calm). I talked to one crew member and they said this time of year can be hit or miss in some times it is rough but other times it can be smooth - so hoping you have better luck than us!

We are so happy to have power back! Definitely hope that is it for the big storm (though supposed to be some more action today/tomorrow so we shall see!0

Having fun following along. It's making me wish that I was on the Wonder right now! :hippie:

Thanks Matt! Between these pictures and all the lousy weather we have been dealing with, I definitely would take being back on the Wonder!

The kids clubs look fun!

It's really cool that you can see so many new movies on board!

The Sail Away Party looks really cute!

The kids clubs look fun!

It's really cool that you can see so many new movies on board!

The Sail Away Party looks really cute!

The Kids Clubs definitely looked fun and my kids had a blast in them!

I know it isn't a huge thing when thinking of doing a cruise or anything, but it was really neat to get to see Black Panther on the cruise!

The sail away party was definitely cute and fun and accomplished what I think it is designed for which is to get you excited about being on the cruise and seeing the characters, etc.

I finally made it over, can't wait to hear about your latest adventure!

Yeah, thanks for joining!

Great update! I've recently started listening to Connecting with Walt and it's so interesting. Glad you had such a great view of the sailaway party. My family always ends up on deck 10 looking down on all the fun below. Looking forward to your next update! :goodvibes

Great updates!!!

Natalie is by far the best cruise director we have had on DCL, so I'm really happy that you had her. We had her on our 11-night Disney Fantasy Southern Caribbean Cruise last year.

The Sail Away Party is definitely a great way to kick-off the cruise.

I'm looking forward to reading about your first dining experience! :)

Great update! I've recently started listening to Connecting with Walt and it's so interesting. Glad you had such a great view of the sailaway party. My family always ends up on deck 10 looking down on all the fun below. Looking forward to your next update! :goodvibes

I love Connecting with Walt - love the angles the take on the building (and evolution) of Walt Disney World and also love the shine that many of the episodes give to Roy as well

Maybe when the kids are older they would like to be in the action more but for us this worked out really welly to be up on the higher deck and I think worked well for taking pictures!

Great updates!!!

Natalie is by far the best cruise director we have had on DCL, so I'm really happy that you had her. We had her on our 11-night Disney Fantasy Southern Caribbean Cruise last year.

The Sail Away Party is definitely a great way to kick-off the cruise.

I'm looking forward to reading about your first dining experience! :)

Thanks! Obviously I have nothing to compare it to but Natalie seemed to do a good job - she had some funny moments in the little videos they put out on the TVs in the rooms each morning (probably as they film them at like 4 in the morning so they are all a bit loopy!) She wound up getting a lot of questions from guests as they were doing a test this cruise by having the big shows two nights in a row each

Dining experience coming up!

Part 8) Our First Dinner - Animators Palate

After the Sail Away party we had a little time before dinner - of course the kids wanted to go back to the kids clubs (which were still doing open house so I went with them to check it out more) and Judi wound up going to the Spa as they were doing a tour of it with a raffle giveaway ... and she won! She was able to use this later in the cruise towards a hot stone massage which she really liked!
UWI34xt.jpg

Then it was time for our first dinner of the trip (we had the main/early seating), which was to be at Animator's Palate - which I was definitely excited to experience!
fttyRq3.jpg

I was also interested/excited/worried to find out if we would be seated with another family - but we wound up being at a 6-top just for us. Looking around and there were definitely way more smaller tables for individual families than I was expecting (lots of 4-tops, etc.) - and then some very large tables (with like 12+ people) that seemed to be families traveling together as they would have all the adults at one end and all the kids at the other). Here is a view of the table to give you an idea of where we were (we we table # 74). Also lets you see the centerpieces (which were very cute).
dLFcryX.jpg

One touch I liked already was they had water cups waiting for each of our kids with their names on them - so felt like our servers already "knew" us a bit
uIzHUT8.jpg

You can also see the "wine and dine" brochure in the above picture. We weren't sure what we were going to do as far as wine/drinks at dinner. We wound up getting the 5-bottle Classic package as seemed like enough options for us and cheaper that bringing wine and paying the corkage fee. It worked out well as one night Judi and I had Palo and then on Pirate night we did other drinks so 5 bottles for the 7 nights worked out well for us.

I didn't do a great job at taking pictures of the menus each night (I know, bad trip reporter) but for this night I did get the kids menu. This reminded me of the kids menus at the table service restaurants at Walt Disney World as they had a few options (including the Mickey Check Meals which are healthier) and then some activities for the kids as well. Though the kids could order from the adult menu (and ours did a few times, but mostly stuck with the kids menus)
tGfMrm4.jpg

Peter asked for Tomato Soup but they didn't have it (but our head server looked into this and from night 3 on he brought Peter tomato soup automatically at every meal whether it was on the menu or not - so we definitely appreciated that). So he tried the meat and cheese option from the adult menu, but didn't care for it much (I thought it was pretty good, though not super exciting)
25dvE9I.jpg

For the appetizers I knew I was going to try the Black Truffle Pasta Pursettes as everyone seems to rave about them, but I decided to get a 2nd appetizer and got the Tomato Tart which had goat cheese on it as well. Judi and my mom also got the Pasta Pursettes and they loved them ... I don't know if my expectations were just to high but I thought they were quite good but nothing to gush over/didn't change my life or anything. Actually, I thought the tomato tart was better and am super glad I ordered that as well
B5SRKzd.jpg

During this time, the screens were showing the starting animations - so basic sketches. Overtime these filled into more full sketches and then those sketches had some simple animation to them
heWyTRN.gif
m0342jy.gif

The Kids' meals came and I think this night they all got Mac N Cheese (they went through a lot of mac n cheese this trip). Then our server came by and gave them ketchup - every time for the entire cruise he would pour it out as Mickey Heads
03i71S7.jpg
L1DZ4AL.jpg

Gm4VguB.gif

Then our entrees came out. Since I did double appetizers I decided to go a little lighter for my main and got the Jumbo Shrimp Salad which was pretty darn good - especially the shrimp. Judi got the chicken option and really enjoyed it
skXjUEc.jpg
hrZNKMk.jpg

After we put in our dessert orders the lights dimmed and the screens in the room changed to full animations from different films - definitely a cool effect!
lx4xAvI.gif

And then a familiar tune started as it was the main theme from Fantasmic! and Sorcerer Mickey appear and came through the room. Definitely one of the first real Disney "feels" moments for me as I love that show (and especially that music) - and made me think of @SorcererHeidi who I knows loves him
30Ga3Lh.gif

Then our desserts came. Judi got the signature dessert which was a Lemon Icebox Cake as well as the Sticky Date Pudding. The lemon cake was really good, very refreshing. I recall Judi lieing the Sitcky date pudding but wanting it to be even better. I also got the Lemon cake but got the sundae which was a cookies and cream one. I definitely found the sundaes to be really good and got them quite often during the week - nothing extravagant but for some reason Ice Cream Sundaes scream "vacation" to me
J8hhUu5.jpg
5GynUBc.jpg

The rest of the family started off the week with a proper dessert of Mickey Bars!
bddUerj.jpg

Coming up next - our first big show of the week as it was time for the Golden Mickeys!

Last edited:
Part 9) The Golden Mickeys!

After dinner we stopped by our rooms for a bit to finish unpacking and also saw that our beds had been turned down for the night and the bunks set up. Also our first towel animal of the week - swans! First is a view of the inside state room and then the veranda room
Kw4jcbq.jpg
gZ09RrY.jpg

We then headed down to the Walt Disney Tehater for the Golden Mickeys. They had a "red carpet" set up out front and one of the CMs was playing the role of a reporter (Diana Dior) who would interview guests
9wnsbbJ.jpg
VH7VvSz.jpg

After we found some seats I asked Olivia if she wanted to check out the red carpet area some more while we waited for the show to start, and she did - and she also was up for getting interviewed! So we got in line for that. One thing that was neat was they were showing the interviews on the screen inside the theater so Judi recorded our interview. The CM was really great at asking Olivia questions and keeping the conversation going (as Olivia was a bit shy during it). She asked Olivia about her hair and if she styled it herself, and when she said she did, the Diana announced that if anyone needs some help with their hair to go see Olivia ... it was really fun!
Xe3UqZ1.gif

So, we weren't able to take photos or video during the Golden Mickeys - so nothing to share there - but we really enjoyed it and thought they did a great job with the stage productions, etc. - got a lot of different characters featured. I think this is one show that has been around for a bit so I am sure repeat cruisers might be a bit bored with it but for our first time we thought it was a great start to the trip!

After that we basically went back to the rooms and went to bed as we were all a bit tired - and we had a full day the next day as it would be Olivia's birthday! So we filled out our form to have room service delivered and turned in for the night. The seas were pretty rough so we didn't get the best sleep (just different motion when you are not used to it and really felt the room rocking a bit)

Coming up next - we start off Olivia's birthday in style!

TTFN!

All of this looks amazing-the food, the staterooms, the entertainment-I would never want to leave!

Animator's Palate looks like a lot of fun and the food also looked pretty good. Golden Mickey's also seems like a really good show, the footage Craig and Cory showed has me wanting to book a Disney cruise just to see it. It's also a nice touch that they roll out the red carpet and interview guests.

Lucky Judi winning the raffle!

Animator's Palette sounds lovely! I've never been on a cruise but I really like that you develop a relationship with your servers and they get to know you and had personal touches throughout your journey.

The red carpet interview sounds so cute, nice touch!

All of this looks amazing-the food, the staterooms, the entertainment-I would never want to leave!

Everything is definitely very nice - very high quality ... and it is a bit of a wake up call when you get off the boat and don't have all those amenities and services at your fingertips!

Animator's Palate looks like a lot of fun and the food also looked pretty good. Golden Mickey's also seems like a really good show, the footage Craig and Cory showed has me wanting to book a Disney cruise just to see it. It's also a nice touch that they roll out the red carpet and interview guests.

Animator's Palate is definitely fun and unique - very "Disney"

I really enjoyed the Golden Mickey's a bit corny in the storyline but the stage effects are great and the cast really puts their all into it

Lucky Judi winning the raffle!

Animator's Palette sounds lovely! I've never been on a cruise but I really like that you develop a relationship with your servers and they get to know you and had personal touches throughout your journey.

The red carpet interview sounds so cute, nice touch!

Judi was really surprised, she isn't one to win something like that ... and it was nice as I must say their spa service prices seemed a bit high to me (so having this helped ease the cost a bit) - but maybe that is standard for cruising

Going in I was a bit skeptical of all the reports I read of people getting so close to their servers. Now having experience it, while we might not have developed a deep relationship like others, I definitely get it and you do form a bond - especially in seeing how they treat your kids!

The red carpet interview was something unexpected - and that is one thing I find with all vacations, but especially Disney, that the memories that last the longest are from the moments you weren't expecting

I am just getting to read this report and loving it....I don't have kids, just a niece and nephew, but I love the inclusion of the kid stuff on here...even the kids menu! That the first I have seen it posted! And since I am seriously working on convincing the family to do a huge family Disney cruise, this info is much appreciated! Great reporting so far as always!

I have always been intrigued by Animators Palate. Its one of those Disney experiences I have always wanted to do.

What a cool experience to get interviewed on the "red carpet"!

Just started reading. Great report so far!

One of them was Brian and I would see him at a number of events during the cruise and he always seem to have that little "extra" in him that stand out. Obviously all of the CMs were upbeat and into it, but he seemed to give it just that little bit more

Looks like your cruise staff is almost the same as ours last summer. They were fabulous and Brian is great. In your video, there’s a young guy to the left. His mom is in one of my cruise groups!

I am looking forward to Animator's Pallet the most! I love your gifs again, as you really get a better sense of the place. I am a bit nervous about sharing a table. I will be with my parents (My dad turns 70 2 days after I turn 40!), so we will be a party of 4 and might get our own table. I am just very introverted, and the idea of trying to eat while engaging with strangers stresses me out a bit!

I am just getting to read this report and loving it....I don't have kids, just a niece and nephew, but I love the inclusion of the kid stuff on here...even the kids menu! That the first I have seen it posted! And since I am seriously working on convincing the family to do a huge family Disney cruise, this info is much appreciated! Great reporting so far as always!

Thank you so much, and welcome! Glad to know the info is useful - definitely will be sharing as much "kids stuff" info as I can!

I have always been intrigued by Animators Palate. Its one of those Disney experiences I have always wanted to do.

What a cool experience to get interviewed on the "red carpet"!

Animator's Palate is definitely one of those places that screams "Disney" and isn't something you would likely find anywhere else. Bit of spoilers for future days but Judi and I did miss our other night at AP as we had Palo dinner that night. We were in AP for Pirate night though and that was pretty cool - but tis for another update!

Yeah, I thought the red carpet thing was pretty cool and I am glad Olivia was willing to do it - even if she did get shy while being interviewed (to be fair, it was her first red carpet interview ;))

Loving your trip report and you're still on the first day of the cruise so I'm not too late.

Thank you so much and welcome! Definitely more to come!

Just started reading. Great report so far!

Looks like your cruise staff is almost the same as ours last summer. They were fabulous and Brian is great. In your video, there’s a young guy to the left. His mom is in one of my cruise groups!

Thank you and thanks for joining!

Definitely saw the younger guy around quite a bit too (though, do forget his name at the moment) - glad you had a good experience as well!

I am looking forward to Animator's Pallet the most! I love your gifs again, as you really get a better sense of the place. I am a bit nervous about sharing a table. I will be with my parents (My dad turns 70 2 days after I turn 40!), so we will be a party of 4 and might get our own table. I am just very introverted, and the idea of trying to eat while engaging with strangers stresses me out a bit!

Animator's Palate is really cool - definitely one of the restaurants I was most looking forward to (though, I think the one I was most excited for was Tiana's - and that didn't disappoint!)

I had such mixed feeling about sharing a table as I am nervous it would be awkward (and I am pretty introverted myself) but then also hear that Disney tries to match up families with kids of similar ages, etc. so thought it would be cool if we did make a good connection with another family. In the end it worked out fine though!

Part 10) The start of Olivia's Birthday!

After the Golden Mickeys we aranged ourselves between the two rooms (each night one of the kids would sleep in my mom's room - this night it was Peter ... one thing that was nice with having the two rooms is it meant we had two upper bunks which both Olivia and Peter were very excited about) and tried to get some sleep. I say "tried" as we were definitely feeling the motion of the ship way more than we were expecting. It wasn't that it was making us sick or anything it was just an unfamiliar feeling. We did talk to people that had been on other cruises and they said the seas we experienced on this one were the roughest they had ever had. It was especially true for the first half or so of the trip - towards the end things were much calmer.

We had also put out the door hanger requesting some room service breakfast. It was largely pastries and fruit and coffee, etc. - but I did write-in that we would like some Mickey Bars as that was the one thing Olivia said she wanted to do on her Birthday - have a Mickey Bar for breakfast. Well, no problem getting them delivered - Happy Birthday Olivia!
8pp6IoR.jpg

I did love all the Disney details on the cruise and one example is that they had Steamboat Willie Mickey on the bottom of the coffee mugs that came with the room service:
oIWV4Ni.jpg

Which I took the advantage of enjoying on our veranda ... definitely not the worst way to start the day
zkh3crH.jpg

Olivia also enjoyed some time out there and celebrating the start of her birthday! In the gif you can also see a bit of the waves - even those a bit away from the ship you can see some white crests on
Uj5oBcn.gif

After breakfast we had a bit of time before the first scheduled acitivity of the day (yeah, at this point in the cruise I hadn't adapted to "cruise life" and still had things scheduled) so we looked through the navigator to see what activities we might want to do. Olivia expressed interest in the "Door hanger" craft so we went to do that. It was a fun little thing to make and was another thing to decorate our doors with.
pc9hK8M.jpg

After this Olivia wanted to go to the Kids Club (Peter and Emma were already there) and then Judi, my mom, and myself went to the Promenade Lounge where they were doing one of the drawing classes. They did a number of these during the cruise but this we the only one we got to (my mom wound up doing a few more though). This class we were drawing Pluto! They start you off with some paper that has a circle and guideline on it and then they have a CM in the front guiding your through the process including a camera on what she was drawing so we could see it in more detail
Jh3ywP5.jpg
y79i79M.jpg

And then our finished products! I think mine came out ok - though the CM leading the class started hers out with more of an oval vs the true circle we had already on our papers, so I think that made ours look a bit wide. Oh well, still fun!
IU7GtOf.jpg

After that we had to pick up Olivia and Emma for a surprise we had planned for them (Peter got to stay in the Kids Club). On the way we passed one of the many screens they had around which showed a map and the position of our ship (sort of like what you see on airplanes sometimes). The screen would shift between just showing our ship (the Wonder) and also showing where the other Disney ships were, which I thought was call
DtoTtGj.jpg

Coming up - the girls get their hair did!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter