The VICTORY trip that was once just Once Upon a DREAM!

DisneyCousins

Earning My Ears
Hello, all you DISers!
This is my PTR of my trip to WDW for 2 days and a 4-day Bahamian cruise on the Dream! It will be just my cousin Eva and me going, and we have HUGE reason to celebrate! We’ll be at Disney World May 16 &17, then our cruise is May 18-22. First I’ll introduce us, and then I’ll explain our plans!

This is me, Sarah! I've been to Disney a few times on short day trips, but I've never gotten to "go all out" with pre-planning rides to go on, eating at the restarants in the park, etc (I've never even seen the fireworks!!) and I've never been on a cruise! In fact, I've never really been on any big vacations except for Michigan with my family (always a favorite) and Florida to visit my grandparents, so this is my kind of my first BIG vacation!:

sarah_ptr.jpg

This is my cousin Eva on the left! She has done the full Disney World experience a few times and has been on one Disney cruise with her family, so she knows her way around the Disney Universe! (AKA, I have to ask her about EVERYTHING...and she is a fantastic resource) However, Eva hasn't been to Disney in quite a while and hasn't seen either of the new cruise ships yet, so this is exciting and new for her, too!:

eva_ptr.jpg

The biggest reason for this trip is to celebrate a humongous victory: BEATING CANCER! At the beginning of what would have been my sophomore year of college, I was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of high-risk leukemia (blood cancer). I had to leave my beloved college campus to go back to my hometown and go through cancer treatment. I had chemo, radiation, and a bone marrow transplant, and I am very happy to say that this February I celebrated my “first birthday”: it has now been over a year since my life-saving bone marrow transplant, and over a year that I have been able to say I am cancer free! It was an extremely hard journey with tons of complications along the way, but I fought hard and WON. I am now back to college and getting back to what I call my “new normal.” :woohoo:

In addition, I just turned 21, so we’re celebrating that awesome milestone as well! (Spiked Dole Whips and Konk Coolers anyone…? :drinking1 ) :cake:

Me on my 21st:
sarah_ptr2.jpg

My cousin Eva was one of my most incredible caregivers while I was sick. She would visit me in the hospital often and do everything and anything she could to cheer me up. Eva became the best nail artist I’d ever seen and kept my nails looking gorgeous…she watched hours of wedding dress shows with me…and, best of all, one day she turned to me and said, "Sarah, when you get better, we are going on a Disney cruise to celebrate." Eva would plan our “Victory Trip” with me when I was having a really bad day to try to take my mind off things. We talked and dreamed about taking a Disney cruise once I was well again, and while I believed I could beat the cancer, going to the Bahamas seemed like the most distant of wishes when I wasn’t even allowed to leave the hospital floor or take a step outdoors. Finally, when my treatment was finished and I was starting to get my life back in order, Eva and I decided to book the trip we had been planning! When we were sitting in the TA’s office I was so excited I thought I was going to scream or bounce off the walls…according to Eva I was trying so hard to act normal and not freak out that it seemed like I was not eager about the trip! Guess I was containing myself a little TOO much. :confused3 It really does seem perfect that we ended up booking on the DREAM…seeing as this trip is seriously a DREAM COME TRUE! :wizard:

Here is us during my treatment:

sarah_and_eva_ptr.jpg

And after!!

sarah_and_eva_ptr_2.jpg

Eva and I have always been extremely close…a combination of cousins, sisters, and best friends. My treatment only brought us closer, and I could never thank Eva enough for how much she did for me and how much love she gave me as she supported me through every step of treatment. I don’t want this trip to just be about celebrating ME, because she deserves the WORLD for being such a compassionate, selfless caregiver. So, this is our VICTORY trip to celebrate both of us! :love:

We decided on a Disney trip because we are both Disney FANATICS!!! :earsgirl: :earsgirl: We still watch Disney movies regularly, listen to Disney music often, and know all the obscure Disney trivia!

Here are the details of our plans for our trip:

Day 1- Early morning flight in, get to Disney right away, and drop our stuff off at Port Orleans Riverside, where we’re staying in one of the Royal Rooms (decorated with Disney Princess galore…we couldn’t resist!). From there, we are planning to meet up with my friend who’s in the College Program and go to Epcot for the rest of the day, and we reserved a table at Teppan Edo since we both LOVE hibachi!

Day 2 – Day at Magic Kingdom! We’re so excited to see new Fantasyland and take millions of pictures! We’ll have dinner at Be Our Guest that night…and we DEFINITELY want to “try the grey stuff!”

Days 3-6 – CRUISE ON THE DREAM!
Our cruise plans:
  • Dinner at Palo
  • Mixology class
  • Blue Lagoon Dolphin Excusion at Nassau (swimming with dolphins has always been on my bucket list!!! :goodvibes )
  • Snorkeling on Castaway Cay
  • Thinking about treating ourselves to some nice spa luxury…although it sure is EXPENSIVE so we will have to see! Maybe we’ll get lucky at the spa raffle…?

We’re also participating in the Fish Exchange on the cruise, so we have some FABULOUS gifts to exchange, and we’re working on getting t-shirts made to wear at Disney!

Well, I guess that’s all I have for now! I may come back and post some updates! I LOVE to write and take tons of pictures (if you haven't noticed...), so stay tuned for when we get back and get to make a Trip Report!

In the words of Walt Disney: "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."

WOW! What an amazing trip and an amazing story - you both deserve this and I would love to find out how your trip goes! As fellow Disney nuts we are planning the holiday of a lifetime from the UK to Disney World including a cruise to the Bahamas for 8 weeks - 10 weeks to go til we start out epic journey so I know how excited you must be feeling. Have a great trip xXx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter