The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Hi everyone! I'm a first-time poster to this thread. We purchased DVC in October, and were not expecting to be able to use our shiny new points for a previously planned DLR trip in January 2019. Nevertheless, I've been checking occasionally, because you just never know. I was totally shocked today when I checked and found a 1-BR villa available for our last three (of six) nights! Well, we snapped that up and will now be doing a split stay...
Welcome Home :goodvibes
Remember to make a villa request in advance with Member Services :idea:
Search this thread for “6502” to get hints

We will be staying at VGC in September, in a 2 bedroom unit. I was just looking at rental cars, and am considering getting two smaller cars instead of a van (6 people on trip), for more flexibility. I believe that parking is free, does anyone if this will cover 2 vehicles?

We will be staying at VGC in September, in a 2 bedroom unit. I was just looking at rental cars, and am considering getting two smaller cars instead of a van (6 people on trip), for more flexibility. I believe that parking is free, does anyone if this will cover 2 vehicles?

We just stayed at The Grand Californian last month and were told “when staying on points at the Disneyland Resort, it includes self parking for up to two vehicles.”

If you look back at my post #3767 on page 189, there are some self-parking tips with a map. It's a little confusing the first time.

If you look back at my post #3767 on page 189, there are some self-parking tips with a map. It's a little confusing the first time.
Thank you for the tip, but I have been several times, just never had more than 1 car.

Hey
1st time poster to this forum, VWL and BWV owner(and wishing I owned some GCV pts)
We are sitting in the airport after a great 1st time at DL
And we were fortunate enough to stay at GCV
Beautiful resort and we hope to be able to stay there again!!
Hey Stopher!!

Hi! First time poster to this forum. I'm a DVC owner at BRV in FL. I've been considering our 2020 vacaction plans since we already have 2019 squared away, and I'm wondering about how difficult it might be to get a studio at GCV in early Dec. I've read in another post that it is difficult due to the candlelight processional, but the post is a few years old. Is that still the case? Also, I'm assuming booking on a weeknight might be easier than the weekend? My preference would be to try for a studio but would consider a 1BR if that makes it easier. I would probably only want about 3 nights. TIA!

Well if it is like this year, all the studios are booked up currently for that time period but there are 1 Bedrooms available. I have never waitlisted before so not sure about that time period. You could always guarantee a spot by renting VGC points if you were really worried about it.

The studios do sell out the fastest, also waitlists are very likely to come through. Many owners are within a few hours drive and make reservations well in advance and then change their minds before the 30 day penalties kick in. I've had great luck with the waitlists coming through.

You could probably book a one bedroom and then waitlist the studio. I prefer the one bedroom units for the nightstands on both sides of the bed, jacuzzi tub, and all the extra space.

Does anyone else see the price that VGC is selling for and consider selling.... Then visit VGC and Disneyland and say to yourself, "I am never selling." I do it every time I visit.

That's awesome. We had rented in the past, but it got expensive and harder to find points. So we gave up on it for a couple years. We finally bought last Summer and just returned from our first VGC trip as members.

In the long months between purchase and the trip I kept saying: What was I thinking, I'm not a time share buyer.
Now after the trip, I keep saying: What was I thinking, we should have bought after our first rental!

Anyone have experience with Disneyland's new "Preferred" Dining Reservations? There is a subset of reservations that are specifically set aside for guests of the Hotels -- I'm guessing that it applies to VGC reservations as well, but thought I'd ask. It has to be done by speaking with someone on the phone, and I'm not ready to commit to a specific date in our stay, yet.o_O

Yes it includes VGC reservations. I tried this route for Tortilla Joe's on President's Day weekend, about 2-3 weeks out with no online reservations available. The CM knew about the "preferred" system and said she was checking that inventory, but there was none available there either. I ended up checking back the week of and found an online reservation once people started cancelling.

So I didn't see much benefit to it. They don't give better tables, etc. Online/App is much easier and a quick cancel if plans change.

I forgot to ask this on our return. Hoping Nonsuch or others may know.

Last trip, we checked in before noon and waited in front desk line that we are used to. At the front of the line we didn't mention VGC and just gave them our last name which the CM put into a tablet. Then we were sent to the hotel counter, as we have in the past. It wasn't a long wait or anything.

Our Villa assignment ended up delayed, with no word, and at 5:00 PM I returned to ask for some details. This time they sent me to the far left end of the front desk where there is a large desk with a "DVC Check-in" placard on it. She said the desk is relatively new and they also check in hotel guests when there is no DVC activity. She was very helpful and got details on a maintenance issue and made it all right.

So my obvious question: Should we be approaching this desk directly on check-in (like concierge upstairs)? Or maybe approach the greeter and request to wait for that desk? The CM working at the desk definitely seemed to have more info on VGC at the time. Later in the afternoon, and the rest of our stay, the hotel check-in line looked brutal. I would hate to wait in that if there is a dedicated line to the side for this desk. If anyone knows the correct system.... thanks!

Must be new! When we checked in in December, we asked if there was something for DVC and they said no. We were in that line a good 45 minutes or more!

I know! I noticed our entire trip: I have never seen the line in the lobby as long as it was... seemingly every day, during all afternoon hours (it was Pres Day weekend). I felt glad we had a morning flight and checked in early, even though it didn't help us get a room text early (or even on time). Over all the years in hotel & a couple VGC, we have never waited maybe more than 5-10 deep at the front desk. And the desk is fully staffed. I don't get it.

And GCH has never been more expensive as a rack rate. They are humming for sure.

I don't mean to imply I shouldn't have to wait in any line. Just mean it would sure be a nice to have a dedicated desk who is totally plugged into room assignments, any issues, etc. It seemed to work well.

They sure have a enough dedicated desks for selling points! ;)

When we checked in last month the CM told us that the counter all the way at the end (if you’re standing at the check in counter look left, there is a small counter with two stations facing you) is exclusively for DVC member check in. You can walk straight to it to check in. The big caveat is that there has to be a CM working there to use it. In our 4 days there I don’t think I ever saw anyone working there.
:badpc:

When we checked in last month the CM told us that the counter all the way at the end (if you’re standing at the check in counter look left, there is a small counter with two stations facing you) is exclusively for DVC member check in. You can walk straight to it to check in. The big caveat is that there has to be a CM working there to use it. In our 4 days there I don’t think I ever saw anyone working there.
:badpc:

Wow--Thanks for that! OK getting warmer. Let's keep it going. Hope we can connect the dots on the right way to approach check-in (currently)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter