The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

My (total guess) is a hotel stay will be more of a guarantee of park entry at DL than WDW. Either way, you’ll need park reservations (probably). It’s also much quicker to get to the room at VGC if you or the kids need a mask break. As you know the parks themselves are a different experience, so that’d be a personal preference. I dont think either is a bad option, but you’re right that switching back to WDW would be much easier to do, even if AKL filled, SSR is usually available, especially for May.

I have a reservation end of September. What I’m not sure about is how they willdo it since there app does not include hotel reservations.

I have a reservation end of September. What I’m not sure about is how they willdo it since there app does not include hotel reservations.
This is a great point!! But with the WDW park reservations, it was not possible to do it via the app, it HAD to be on the website. (Yesterday was a long, looong day for me trying to get 3 measly park days for 2 people
One thing is DL has Grad Nites about half the nights in late May. So the parks can be busier with teens. Since you mentioned beach days, you could plan around these. We’ve stayed during them and it wasnt too crazy. If noise is an issue, request a quiet room. The rooms that face paradise pier- you can hear Goofys sky school late into the night!
True!! We're looking at January, but heck at this point, people will be and should be celebrating all the things every trip!:rotfl:
Thank you everyone!

We did a two bedroom last January there-so glad we got the trip in before everything went south. Absolutely wonderful-I Own there and AKV but DL is my very favorite and I would definitely pick it.

i have a mid october one bedroom reservation that we usually get for our wedding anniversary when we do chefs counter at napa rose. I'm already expecting to not be able to do chefs counter, and at this point im bummed thinking that the pools will probably be closed as well. but since these are expiring points that were given to us with a new contract purchase in Feb, as long as we can still use our rooms we'll make the best of it and be happy, just hoping shutdown doesnt last into october

I have a January reservation and I had wanted to use ticket vouchers I purchased at a charity event. I am already feeling anxious about how all of this will work out. The tickets are supposed to be redeemed in person. I can't push back my January reservation without losing a lot of points.

Great thread. Still reading through it. Booked our first stay here for February. Just wanted to say thanks for all the information and work you put into this.

We've owned VGC for 3 years now. It's been a long time dream. But I'm a super practical person and I have to admit that the price increases make me think about cashing out. We'd make a nice boatload of cash if we sold. The trouble is, we still love Disneyland, will still want to go, and will still want to stay at VGC! I know renting is so hard to find there, not to mention paying rental prices (I'm cheap! We stayed offsite before we purchased). I've pondered buying a cheaper resort and trading in instead, but I know that's risky. But we always stay in 1 bedrooms and with the new DLT, the pressure might be off VGC. But then we'd be restricted to legacy resorts, not that it's that bad, but I like options.

Any other owners been thinking about cashing in, but still want to stay at VGC? Any other ideas?

Any other owners been thinking about cashing in, but still want to stay at VGC? Any other ideas?
We bought 10 years ago and the prices really have gone up since then. I enjoy going to the VGC so much I've never thought about selling. If for some reason we're going to DLR without staying at the VGC we stay at the Tropicana, which is pleasant, but not the Grand Californian.

We've owned VGC for 3 years now. It's been a long time dream. But I'm a super practical person and I have to admit that the price increases make me think about cashing out. We'd make a nice boatload of cash if we sold. The trouble is, we still love Disneyland, will still want to go, and will still want to stay at VGC! I know renting is so hard to find there, not to mention paying rental prices (I'm cheap! We stayed offsite before we purchased). I've pondered buying a cheaper resort and trading in instead, but I know that's risky. But we always stay in 1 bedrooms and with the new DLT, the pressure might be off VGC. But then we'd be restricted to legacy resorts, not that it's that bad, but I like options.

We have 2 contracts, bought them resale in 2015, and it would be a last resort for us to sell them. We have rented out points, which is very easy to do with VGC points! :-)

I have no business owning at the VGC since we live only half an hour away, but I would NEVER sell my two contracts! It's such a simple and easy getaway for us and totally transports us out of our real lives. I've been renting our points (for the WDW resorts) at the DVC Rental Store and made some pretty good money. They have tons of people wanting to stay at the VGC on their waiting list.

We have 2 contracts, bought them resale in 2015, and it would be a last resort for us to sell them. We have rented out points, which is very easy to do with VGC points! :-)
I have no business owning at the VGC since we live only half an hour away, but I would NEVER sell my two contracts! It's such a simple and easy getaway for us and totally transports us out of our real lives. I've been renting our points (for the WDW resorts) at the DVC Rental Store and made some pretty good money. They have tons of people wanting to stay at the VGC on their waiting list.

But what if you could sell VGC and buy a resale contract at another resort, same number of points, with the profit? Heck, I could buy double the points at another resort! :scratchin Basically selling my favorite in order to buy cheaper "sleep around" points in order to still stay at my favorite?

I know, I know, my husband thinks I'm absolutely crazy. I can't help it. My brain is always trying to figure out a cheaper way to do something! :o But I've gone on some amazing vacations and found amazing deals because of it! :teeth:

I sure wouldnt bet on being able to use SAP at the grand. We fly in from Oregon so can’t just go whenever-esp as we try to navigate around school schedules and airfare and work schedules and soccer and (I mean, assuming all that stuff ever happens again)....so I’m very happy I have the points to do my 2 bedroom stay eoy when we want to go.

But what if you could sell VGC and buy a resale contract at another resort, same number of points, with the profit? Heck, I could buy double the points at another resort! :scratchin Basically selling my favorite in order to buy cheaper "sleep around" points in order to still stay at my favorite?

I know, I know, my husband thinks I'm absolutely crazy. I can't help it. My brain is always trying to figure out a cheaper way to do something! :o But I've gone on some amazing vacations and found amazing deals because of it! :teeth:
It sounds like you and I are similar when it comes to vacations and deals! I have had the same thoughts, especially since we book 1 bedrooms which have always been wide open when I book between 11 and 7 months, and could often be booked with sleep around points (but a higher level of stress for sure on booking day). Other implications of selling are the loss of blue card benefits potentially, and loss of ability to book the new DVC resorts (Riviera, new DL tower) as I think you mentioned. It is certainly tempting for those of us who don't want studios. I kind of gave up on the idea because I am Canadian so I think I would pay FIRPTA tax on my profit.

Here's a slightly different perspective. We don't own points at VGC, though we have owned them at the sister WL for the past decade and a half. Getting into VGC with our points has been difficult, whether it was a studio, 1BR, 2BR, or the GV. Unless you don't plan to return to DL or don't mind the stress of attempting to piece together an entire trip at the 7-month point, I wouldn't sell despite the temptation.

A key point to keep in mind here is that as a non-VGC owner, you can't book "between the 11 and 7-month" point--you MUST wait until the 7-month window is available. That would put you in a dubious category--the legion of hopefuls clamoring to book the resort seconds after the 7-month booking window opens. Not to mention, there are many, many walkers out there who use that tactic to secure a room in advance of the 7 months. Most of said walkers begin a few weeks out from their 7-month point which means that what appears to be an open week for, say, a 1BR closes mere days before you can book unless you, too, have opted to walk a reservation. I speak from experience.

As others have noted, before selling coveted points (and, yes, you can easily sell them for likely a tidy sum), I would rent them if you plan to curtail your visits to DL and have extra points. Though it is getting more difficult overall to book WDW resorts at the 7-month date, most of those resorts still can be had with some planning and tenacity with the exception of a few key dates and resorts, e.g., VWL or CC at Christmas. In short, your options with VGC points are more varied than without. . .unless you're finished with DL altogether which it doesn't really sound like you are. Best wishes going forward with your decisions!

Any speculation as to when VGC might reopen? Do you think they will wait until Disneyland opens? If they opened the pools I would be ok visiting for a few days even if the parks were closed.

I wouldn't expect VGC to open prior to the whole hotel opening. If you open the VGC you have to staff the front desk, increase security (beyond the low level it probably has now), open at least one restaurant, hire back some of the house cleaning staff. Since the VGC is such a small part of the entire hotel, I don't think it will open separately.

We've got a reservation for next June. I hope it is open by then.

They could open the entire hotel even if the theme parks are still closed. I would still go, but I am not how many others would. Right now I have reservation for February but I am wondering if I should just push it back. I've already pushed it back twice at this point.

I wouldn't expect VGC to open prior to the whole hotel opening. If you open the VGC you have to staff the front desk, increase security (beyond the low level it probably has now), open at least one restaurant, hire back some of the house cleaning staff. Since the VGC is such a small part of the entire hotel, I don't think it will open separately.

We've got a reservation for next June. I hope it is open by then.

I guess Moonlight Magic is not happening. Sad to cancel my November reservation. Still no idea when VGC is opening I guess? I wonder if they will extend points for VGC owners?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter