The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

I live in Nor Cal but I would also be willing to come down for a 2-3 night mini vacation, with or without the parks open. I also have points from 2019 that will be expiring.

Fingers crossed! I have some points expiring so I was able to grab a 1-night staycation (I'm a SoCal local) in September. Really just want to get new scenery and have some pool time!

I have a weekend in a 1 bedroom villa starting Oct 16th for two nights. My wife and I are still content with going if the pools/craftsman bar is open or the theme parks, otherwise we might plan a last minute trip to wdw to use up the points before they expire

If the pools and craftsman bar are opened we can make a whole day out of that, and maybe spend a second day going to the beach. It would still be worth it to me to go in that case.

I have a weekend in a 1 bedroom villa starting Oct 16th for two nights. My wife and I are still content with going if the pools/craftsman bar is open or the theme parks, otherwise we might plan a last minute trip to wdw to use up the points before they expire

Rumors say January, but things are always changing, especially with the way California is opening and closing back up.

How busy is it the week before Thanksgiving? My kids are on a year round calendar and we usually have the week before, the week of, and the week after Thanksgiving off. I was thinking we may go for a 2-3 days in the week before Thanksgiving in 2021 - probably mid week like Tues- Thurs. We'd put it at the front of a trip to NorCal to see my brother and fam for Thanksgiving.

How busy is it the week before Thanksgiving? My kids are on a year round calendar and we usually have the week before, the week of, and the week after Thanksgiving off. I was thinking we may go for a 2-3 days in the week before Thanksgiving in 2021 - probably mid week like Tues- Thurs. We'd put it at the front of a trip to NorCal to see my brother and fam for Thanksgiving.
We have been the full week before Thanksgiving a couple of times and it's been pretty good, the Christmas decorations are already up. It definitely gets busier that weekend before Thanksgiving.

Tuesday through Thursday would likely be your best option. Kids in our area will still be in school that week, and you’ll avoid Monday, which tends to be one of the busiest days at DLR. Just know holiday times are definitely busier overall at Disneyland. If you’re primarily used to WDW, DL specifically can feel incredibly crowded due to narrower walkways. DCA is more open, but can also get crazy with the food festivals. Getting your days going early will help accomplish a lot before the AP crowd rolls in later in the day (assuming life is back to normalish...)!

Tuesday through Thursday would likely be your best option. Kids in our area will still be in school that week, and you’ll avoid Monday, which tends to be one of the busiest days at DLR. Just know holiday times are definitely busier overall at Disneyland. If you’re primarily used to WDW, DL specifically can feel incredibly crowded due to narrower walkways. DCA is more open, but can also get crazy with the food festivals. Getting your days going early will help accomplish a lot before the AP crowd rolls in later in the day (assuming life is back to normalish...)!

Thanks. It's been 30 years since I've been to DL so it's changed a lot and obviously I've not been to DCA.

Keep in mind I said "rumor", but I've heard it from two completely unrelated CMs, one from the GCH, and another in a different type of role.
Oh, I get that it's a rumor for sure! Obviously no one knows or can predict what will happen. I was just curious. Thank you for your response :)

I have a reservation for a weekend in November. At this point, I don't care if the parks are still closed. I just want to stay at the hotel and hopefully it won't be too cold to be at the pool.

What are the chances that the resort will be open by November 20? I booked a room for my college friend who lives in Irvine (20 min away). These are points that can be banked and I need to know by end of September. Any advice?!?

What are the chances that the resort will be open by November 20? I booked a room for my college friend who lives in Irvine (20 min away). These are points that can be banked and I need to know by end of September. Any advice?!?

Unless the resort is open by the end of Sept I think it remains up in the air right up until the day they reopen. Remember that they already had one announced opening date that they cancelled not all that long prior.

Unless the resort is open by the end of Sept I think it remains up in the air right up until the day they reopen. Remember that they already had one announced opening date that they cancelled not all that long prior.
Ok thanks. I will cancel the November date. I also am holding a end of January date for my friend... just needed to figure this out for banking purposes!

Ok thanks. I will cancel the November date. I also am holding a end of January date for my friend... just needed to figure this out for banking purposes!

What I think is probable is that they will give late banking if VGC is closed. I think I saw somewhere that someone was given that for an Aulani trip that just cancelled for Sept. They don't seem to be doing 2018 banked point extensions though no matter what. Still, a little risk. CA does seem to be headed the right way and are trying to get DL open.

What I think is probable is that they will give late banking if VGC is closed. I think I saw somewhere that someone was given that for an Aulani trip that just cancelled for Sept. They don't seem to be doing 2018 banked point extensions though no matter what. Still, a little risk. CA does seem to be headed the right way and are trying to get DL open.

Thanks-- I ended up cancelling the November 20th stay at the Grand Californian and keeping a reservation for the night of January 29. I figured if they don't open, I lose 16 banked points and 6 current use year points.... I would have lost the banked points anyway! And losing points for the first time ever since 2012 (and only 22 points) isn't terrible-- first world problems!

Now my other first world dilemma is what to do with almost 400 banked points (394, to be exact) in 2021. Wish us luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter