They changed the fish. . . . .

"Authentic fish cooking", huh. I lived in LA long enough to know that Captain D's and LJS happen to represent the pinnacle of the culinary world when it comes to fish and seafood.

Bottom feeders like tilapia. It's all yours. I'll stick with the halibut, cod, haddock, and swordfish.

Um... perhaps you should check out some enlightening facts the wonderful world wide web can afford you. Click Here https://www.thealternativedaily.com/should-you-eat-bottom-feeders/ or google for yourself.

But, here are the highlights since you and so many others are so quick to demonize tilapia as these bottom-feeder devils.

"Common bottom-feeding animals include crabs, lobster and crayfish, shrimp, shellfish..."

I guess you never eat those, huh? Who even likes shrimp? Right...

Also....

"In the fish world, bottom-feeders include:

Halibut
Flounder
Plaice
Sole
Eel
Cod
Haddock

Bass
Grouper
Carp
Snapper
Sardines
Catfish
Shark"

Also, I have to wonder for all the people acting like farmed fish is this great toxic avenger's paradise responsible for the plague can tell me if they eat beef or pork or poultry from non-organic farms where their eventual burgers, sausages, bacon, and chicken have been pumped full of antibiotics, growth hormones, given feed which could contain bad things in it, and are kept in assembly-line style enclosures that contribute to unsanitary and unsafe conditions for the animals.

Likewise, for all you people saying farmed fish is so dangerous to us, can you tell me all the instances you've heard of people getting sick, poisoned, hospitalized, or killed by toxic fish that has been farmed? And yet, I can regale you of tales of mad-cow disease, swine flu, bird or avian flu and numerous and countless outbreaks of both E-coli and salmonella diseaese being spread from farms you get your beef, chicken, pork or even lettuce from!

And yet, it's tilapia that is this great scourge of the earth, wiping out Disney guests faster than the bubonic plague...

Last edited:
Tilapia in the fish & chips at the U.K. in Epcot just doesn't fit with my idea of "the Disney Difference." Sorry, but it's served as the cheap and plentiful fish everywhere now. And it doesn't taste all that great. I'm not gonna try to convince myself it's special because it's at WDW.

Um... perhaps you should check out some enlightening facts the wonderful world wide web can afford you. Click Here https://www.thealternativedaily.com/should-you-eat-bottom-feeders/ or google for yourself.

But, here are the highlights since you and so many others are so quick to demonize tilapia as these bottom-feeder devils.

"Common bottom-feeding animals include crabs, lobster and crayfish, shrimp, shellfish..."

Also....

Halibut
Flounder
Plaice
Sole
Eel
Cod
Haddock

Bass
Grouper
Carp
Snapper
Sardines
Catfish
Shark"

Also, I have to wonder for all the people acting like farmed fish is this great toxic avenger's paradise responsible for the plague can tell me if they eat beef or pork or poultry from non-organic farms where their eventual burgers, sausages, bacon, and chicken have been pumped full of antibiotics, growth hormones, given feed which could contain bad things in it, and are kept in assembly-line style enclosures that contribute to unsanitary and unsafe conditions for the animals.

Likewise, for all you people saying farmed fish is so dangerous to us, can you tell me all the instances you've heard of people getting sick, poisoned, hospitalized, or killed by toxic fish that has been farmed? And yet, I can regale you of tales of mad-cow disease, swine flu, bird or avian flu and numerous and countless outbreaks of both E-coli and salmonella diseaese being spread from farms you get your beef, chicken, pork or even lettuce from!

And yet, it's tilapia that is this great scourge of the earth, wiping out Disney guests faster than the bubonic plague...
Still doesn’t make it the right type of fish for classic fish & chips :confused3 That’s the only crime in my eyes!

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think it has been cod for quite awhile. I know around 18-24 months ago I noticed a distinct difference in quality of the actual fish. It seemed thinner, not flaky, and tasteless. It was not cod IMO. However, I also noticed this at Cooke's of Dublin so I don't know if its just me or if both QS types changed there fish.

My DH and I have two homes - one in catfish country Arkansas and the other in New Orleans. One should eat LOCAL fish where ever you are. I do not like tilapia at all no matter where I am.

I lived in London many, many years ago and traveled there on business multiple times a year for a long time. I've enjoyed a lot of real fish and chips. I don't know what the fish was, but I am sure it was not tilapia.

I’m telling you people—if you want excellent fish & chips while at Disney, go to the Garden Grove in the Swan Thursday, Friday or Saturday night.

Now I know why it tasted so much better than Yorkshire at Epcot—it’s real cod.

Also....

Halibut
Flounder
Plaice
Sole
Eel
Cod
Haddock

Bass
Grouper
Carp
Snapper
Sardines
Catfish
Shark"

This reads like the list from "Under the Sea" from the Little Mermaid! :-D

My bottom line is, their F&C is God awful expensive.
If I'm going to pay those prices for what is sold as fast food in Great Briton I want it to be the finest fish available and Tilapia is certainly not anywhere near a fine quality fish.
So if they've changed to Tilapia at the R&C I'll just skip it.

A restaurant in the UK section of the World Showcase serve the food to the standard of the nation: Cod and Haddock...Ireland may differ to grouping of other white fish which does not include Tilapia. Ask for your money back as their making you think you are ordering Fish & Chips. The menu states from Rose & Crown, “Fish & Chips, Rose & Crown’s Signature Dish, Beer-battered and served with House-made Tartar Sauce." If the fish changed to Tilapia, then their misrepresenting the dish.

A restaurant in the UK section of the World Showcase serve the food to the standard of the nation: Cod and Haddock...Ireland may differ to grouping of other white fish which does not include Tilapia. Ask for your money back as their making you think you are ordering Fish & Chips. The menu states from Rose & Crown, “Fish & Chips, Rose & Crown’s Signature Dish, Beer-battered and served with House-made Tartar Sauce." If the fish changed to Tilapia, then their misrepresenting the dish.
There are at least 6 different fish species used to make fish and chips in the UK. The description listed for both Rose and Crown (which was NOT part of the discussion in the OP's original thread) and Yorkshire County do not list a type of fish thus no misinterpretation anymore than many of the other World Showcase restaurants who Americanize their cuisines.

As for Brits using tilapia as a substitute for other species for fish and chips? Just google and you'll find it's certainly in use. Me? I'm fine with cod (even bacallao but not for fish and chips, LOL) but if an area/specie is over-fished, accept that substitutes are needed.

I'm somewhat dismayed by how many people think tilapia is a "Frankenstein" fish but still happily munch on pressed meat chicken nuggets and tubes of burger meat of dubious provenance.

Last edited:
So Rose and Crown is still serving the original fish and chip recipe? I already switched our Via Napoli ADR because of the limited menu and I have a prime time ADR for R&C for Illumiations viewing, so I would hate to have to switch another ADR

Not sure I understand why so many feel Talapia is a junk fish because its mostly farm raised. It is farmed for food at about the same quantities as Salmon and Trout. It's a fish thats been used for food since biblical times. If you do not like it's taste so be it. I don't care for Salmon at all. In places like AK, it is Salmon thats considered low end junk fish, used as bait for more expensive fish like Halibut. Brit fish and chip pubs do indeed use Talapia as one choice of many. Talapia does have low levels of mercury compared with other fish! Talapia is about the same cost as snapper, catfish, pollack, flounder, perch or sole. Everyone has their own tastes. I personally do not care for Talapia in fish and chips but in other dishes its great.

Also....

Halibut
Flounder
Plaice
Sole
Eel
Cod
Haddock

Bass
Grouper
Carp
Snapper
Sardines
Catfish
Shark"

Take that!!! :banana::p

Not sure I understand why so many feel Talapia is a junk fish because its mostly farm raised. It is farmed for food at about the same quantities as Salmon and Trout. It's a fish thats been used for food since biblical times. If you do not like it's taste so be it. I don't care for Salmon at all. In places like AK, it is Salmon thats considered low end junk fish, used as bait for more expensive fish like Halibut. Brit fish and chip pubs do indeed use Talapia as one choice of many. Talapia does have low levels of mercury compared with other fish! Talapia is about the same cost as snapper, catfish, pollack, flounder, perch or sole. Everyone has their own tastes. I personally do not care for Talapia in fish and chips but in other dishes its great.

Well, I won't argue the merits or demerits of Tilapia. I'm sure that some is farmed in a clean way and is wholesome to eat -- not like something they plucked out of the Salton Sea.
But...it is very cheap and plentiful. Did they lower the price of the fish and chips when they made the switch to Tilapia? Oh.

Well, I won't argue the merits or demerits of Tilapia. I'm sure that some is farmed in a clean way and is wholesome to eat -- not like something they plucked out of the Salton Sea.
But...it is very cheap and plentiful. Did they lower the price of the fish and chips when they made the switch to Tilapia? Oh.

lol, True but the its Disney. Prices go up as quality goes down until enough people say NO. Their sales probably have not dropped.

Say what? How are they misrepresenting the dish?

Are you saying that tilapia is not a fish? It may not be everybody’s favorite, but I’m fairly confident that it is fish.

I feel so Seuss at the moment: One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish.

Say what? How are they misrepresenting the dish?

Are you saying that tilapia is not a fish? It may not be everybody’s favorite, but I’m fairly confident that it is fish.

I feel so Seuss at the moment: One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish.
It's not the standard I expect. Your perspective and my perspective is our opinion. Expect less and get less if one wants to and Disney loves to cut cost where people say that's ok. Disney has a record over the last decade of providing people less and asking for you to pay the same for now and asking for more in the near future. UK Pavilion, "quality dining," British Heritage, expect quality fish to be Cod or Haddock.

Well, has anyone had the "new" fish and can comment? I was there last week-end but had lunch at Spice Road, I walked by the Yorkshire stand but saw no one in the queue and only one person walking up. Clearly, I didn't know what I was eating before, so who knows, inquiring minds want to know!

I'm a bit surprised by all of these "Tilapia is bad for you" claims. I just went to the Monterrey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch site to confirm that Tilipia farmed from Canada, Ecuador, Peru, or the US is considered a best choice. Tilapia from other locations is considered a good choice. Tilapia is not widely commercially available as a fresh source, only farmed. All of my local grocery stores display the source of the fish and meat. I have never seen it say anything but farmed in Ecuador. I generally avoid farmed fish, but Tilipia is recommended as one of the safest farmed fishes out there, even over salmon. There are too many people who are poorly farming salmon, even though there are some good farmed salmons. I can understand if someone does not like the texture or taste, but that has nothing to do with it being bad for you. Is it as nutrient rich as salmon? No, but neither is Cod. There are sources of Cod that are to be avoided too due to fishing methods or contamination.

As for fish & chips, we don't get reasonably priced sources of many of the fishes that are traditionally used for it in the UK. Even in the UK, they are having to find cheaper substitutes, because the traditional choices are getting too expensive. Some of the traditional choices have to be imported to the US, because we just don't have them here. Do you want reasonably priced fish & chips or massively increased prices?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!