They changed the fish. . . . .

I'm a bit surprised by all of these "Tilapia is bad for you" claims. I just went to the Monterrey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch site to confirm that Tilipia farmed from Canada, Ecuador, Peru, or the US is considered a best choice. Tilapia from other locations is considered a good choice. Tilapia is not widely commercially available as a fresh source, only farmed. All of my local grocery stores display the source of the fish and meat. I have never seen it say anything but farmed in Ecuador. I generally avoid farmed fish, but Tilipia is recommended as one of the safest farmed fishes out there, even over salmon. There are too many people who are poorly farming salmon, even though there are some good farmed salmons. I can understand if someone does not like the texture or taste, but that has nothing to do with it being bad for you. Is it as nutrient rich as salmon? No, but neither is Cod. There are sources of Cod that are to be avoided too due to fishing methods or contamination.

As for fish & chips, we don't get reasonably priced sources of many of the fishes that are traditionally used for it in the UK. Even in the UK, they are having to find cheaper substitutes, because the traditional choices are getting too expensive. Some of the traditional choices have to be imported to the US, because we just don't have them here. Do you want reasonably priced fish & chips or massively increased prices?
IMO, Tilapia has a soft, almost mushy, texture and has about as much flavor as a piece of Styrofoam.
You may have my share of all of it. :D

Yorkshire was one of the only quick-service places we actually look forward to in all of WDW. My husband is going to be sooo mad when I tell him this...

At the walk up for fish and chips at Epcot, we went to have our standard two piece that we have come to enjoy so much and think it is one of the better priced meals. When we mentioned to the order taker how much we enjoyed the dish, she told us we were going to love it even more as they just changed from Cod to Tilapia.

Well, ewwwwwww. Tilapia doesn't even exist in the wild and is one of the most unhealthy items you can eat. And, no, the dish wasn't better. It was rather tasteless and dull. The fries (chips) remain excellent and it was served hot, but isn't anywhere near as good as using the Cod. Sure, Tilapia is likely far cheaper, but no, it isn't anywhere near as good.

Not sure if the fish and chips in Rose and Crown were changed too.

OWD
WOW !!! That is HORRIBLE NEWS !!! If a menu says white fish, ask what kind. Is this Cod or Tilapia ? If they don’t know DON’T EAT IT ! I hope they post it somewhere! How authentic is a Tilapia fish and chips ? !!! Are they going to serve a shrimp po boy next ? !!! I hope this doesn’t last

My 8 year old ate here on 5/23/2018. He has the palate of an 8 year old and whatever type of fish it was, he said it was delicious. It was hot, fresh, and looked amazing. Unfortunately I didn't try any of it and was not present while he was eating it, so I cannot testify to what type of fish it actually was. They were two plump pieces of fish. He said it was his second favorite meal of the trip. The first, being the cheeseburger at Everything Pop!, so, you know. He's kind of an expert. :D

Can anyone confirm if this is a change for the Rose and Crown too? We love that one, always order the fish, and have a ADR for this trip. I'll change it if that is the case, because we don't like tilapia either. Its always been a wonderful fish and chips.

I asked AJ from Disney Food Blog about this. Got the following response yesterday:

"Just spoke with the chef at Rose and Crown last week and he assured they always use cod."

She either didn't know or missed my question about Yorkshire, but at least R&C is an option if they have indeed screwed up Yorkshire.

I now have R&C reservations as a backup for our December trip if Yorkshire is codless when we go.

I asked AJ from Disney Food Blog about this. Got the following response yesterday:

"Just spoke with the chef at Rose and Crown last week and he assured they always use cod."

She either didn't know or missed my question about Yorkshire, but at least R&C is an option if they have indeed screwed up Yorkshire.

I now have R&C reservations as a backup for our December trip if Yorkshire is codless when we go.

ha, we did same. They must be getting lots of calls. The fish used to be excellent at Yorkshire - the change is a shame.

At the walk up for fish and chips at Epcot, we went to have our standard two piece that we have come to enjoy so much and think it is one of the better priced meals. When we mentioned to the order taker how much we enjoyed the dish, she told us we were going to love it even more as they just changed from Cod to Tilapia.

Well, ewwwwwww. Tilapia doesn't even exist in the wild and is one of the most unhealthy items you can eat. And, no, the dish wasn't better. It was rather tasteless and dull. The fries (chips) remain excellent and it was served hot, but isn't anywhere near as good as using the Cod. Sure, Tilapia is likely far cheaper, but no, it isn't anywhere near as good.

Not sure if the fish and chips in Rose and Crown were changed too.

OWD
Tilapia was the subject on a show called "Dirty Jobs" some years ago. It still on TV in the form of reruns. If you really want to know more about Tilapia just google it where its imported from and what its feed!!! Gross!!

Tilapia was the subject on a show called "Dirty Jobs" some years ago. It still on TV in the form of reruns. If you really want to know more about Tilapia just google it where its imported from and what its feed!!! Gross!!
We all need to read an up to date link about tilapia whether at google or not.
Truth on this level is not static:flower1:.

To date all information regarding the use of tilapia at Yorkshire has come from a CM which in my mind in similar to the info from a WDW bus driver;).

None has come from anyone regarding it's use at R+C.

Last edited:
Idk, as far as I'm concerned fried food (whether it's cod or tilapia) all tastes like fried food

Honestly! If no one ever posted about the change, I'm betting the majority here would never have noticed as they were eating their greasy, fried fish deliciousness.

I'm sure everyone will say they would have noticed, but we'll never know now, will we... ;)

Honestly! If no one ever posted about the change, I'm betting the majority here would never have noticed as they were eating their greasy, fried fish deliciousness.

I'm sure everyone will say they would have noticed, but we'll never know now, will we... ;)
IMO, anyone with tactual mouth feelings, taste buds, and who isn't intoxicated, will know the difference. :-)

IMO, anyone with tactual mouth feelings, taste buds, and who isn't intoxicated, will know the difference. :-)

I completely disagree. Most people will have no idea what kind of fish they are eating, nor will they care. :) (I'm speaking in the instance of deep fried fish only)

You know how it goes - "I didn't know that I didn't like something until somebody told me" mentality. I like tilapia, but now if I go and eat the fish n chips, I will automatically feel mushy fish in my mouth. ;)

But it's not greasy:D.

I completely disagree. Most people will have no idea what kind of fish they are eating, nor will they care. :) (I'm speaking in the instance of deep fried fish only)

You know how it goes - "I didn't know that I didn't like something until somebody told me" mentality. I like tilapia, but now if I go and eat the fish n chips, I will automatically feel mushy fish in my mouth. ;)
Well........
I guess I'm not "most people". :D

Not sure on how fresh your fish is where you live,but

Not sure what state most people are from ,but here in New England fresh fish is everywhere not like it has to be shipped inland. I have seen the so called lobster rolls at CH and they make be glad that I never ordered one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter