Things that might come back

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
I just saw a thread about things that might go away but I've been pondering the things that we stopped doing which might come back & also repurposing of businesses.

In my town the only liquor store open is a big drive through beer/wine cooler/hard seltzer place that looks sort of like a car wash but they have alcohol in the space along each side - I can tell you they had a line when I went out for groceries. I think car wash places could rent to other businesses and do this easiy.

I was thinking car hops like from happy days, I won't go in but I'd like something a little more than fast food. I've been harassing my family to only eat very hot things since holiday break so Pizza, Soup, cheese fries

I'm also thinking I will be heading to the one drive in left in my region. Honestly, current theaters could totally do it with a few tweaks to technology. Where there is a will there is a way.

PS- my grandma used to use washcloths instead of a sponge and I always thought it was the grossest thing - until now when I realize how much more environmentally sound and sanitary it is to be able to leave piles of washcloths all over the house not only for drying hands but general "I'm not sure if this needs to be recleaned or not moments. I leave grocery bags on door handles to grab them and then just toss them into the wash.

Our local drive ins have also closed due to the virus, so they aren't an option either right now.

Do you not have curbside delivery from restaurants in your area? We've had it for over a decade at the major chain restaurants around here. I used to use it all the time when my kids were toddlers and couldn't sit through a meal in a restaurant reliably. I'm back to using it again now.

DLgal - I'm high risk so I generally avoid restaurants from Oct - May, Flu season. I would do a local mom & pop place takeout walk to my car as long as what I get can be popped into the oven at 350 for 5 min - a friend gave me the flu with christmas cookies a few years back so now I do it to pretty much everything & it works without changing flavor at all. My daughter made us banana bread but isn't as careful as me so although I ate it last night when it was piping hot this morning I just reheated and then put it into small sections. I think the car hops would be fun because they get me out of the house, same for drive ins and all. I want the FEEL of being with other people, just not really other people because of the distancing.

tvguy- agreed.

Last edited:

There’s lots of curbside here. Panera has drive thru only. I went for some fresh bread and wound up buying bananas.
Our local orange grove open, so go for fresh OJ each week, veggies n fruit. I prefer there over a store and food market delivery here is always a week out .or simply out of stock.

Stay healthy all!!

Fear......Oregon government for the last 10 years has been educating citizens that a massive, Oregon infrastructure ending earthquake is on the way in the next 20 years. So, with this crisis at hand now, every Oregonian should have had 3 weeks of supplies.....so maybe fear will encourage Oregonians to be prepared. It is the earthquake fear that has kept us stocked here in Yuma,, we have water, toilet paper, fuel and canned foods, freezer and a garden. Dandelions from Oct1st to June 1st....veggies over the summer months and storage of squash in oregon, in Yuma lettuce gardens from Nov 1st to April 1st, citrus from Jan to April

Like what? I'm curious. Beans on toast? Stuff like that?
oatmeal, asparagus, raw turnips, rutabagas, cooked parsnips, beef organ sour kruat, raisin pie and fruit cake.....foods that my dad did not eat and did like to eat because of the depression when he came out of the depression in Idaho.

I'm also thinking I will be heading to the one drive in left in my region. Honestly, current theaters could totally do it with a few tweaks to technology. Where there is a will there is a way.

It would be great to see the old Drive Ins come back again, with hi def screens and car hops bringing food to the car as one just has to enter the order into the Drive In's restaurant website ordering page and pre-pay for everything during ordering.

I remember being in one of the last ones in the city I was in, decades ago. We watched their "dusk to dawn" marathon of all 5 original Planet of the Apes movies. It truly did end as the sun was coming up.

Star Wars 4 & 5 had already come out, and it was well known that George Lucas was planning to do a sequel series. I remember thinking at the time, wouldn't it be great if we could go to the Drive In and see a dusk to dawn marathon of Star Wars 4-9. Kind of interesting that there's a possibility it might actually happen if Drive Ins make a resurgence. :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter