Things that might come back

Oregon government for the last 10 years has been educating citizens that a massive, Oregon infrastructure ending earthquake is on the way in the next 20 years.

The Pacific NW is due for a massive subduction zone earthquake. The last one was in 1701. They occur at 300 to 500 year intervals. Anyone who has not seismically retrofitted their house is foolish.

Hopefully more american manufactering. I think we are learning what relying on other countries for supply chains can do.

Trouble is that Americans would rather buy cheap Chinese junk than paying a little more for United States manufactured quality products. I thought WalMart tried a made in the USA campaign back in the 1990s and it was a complete failure.

Trouble is that Americans would rather buy cheap Chinese junk than paying a little more for United States manufactured quality products. I thought WalMart tried a made in the USA campaign back in the 1990s and it was a complete failure.
I don't think this is true. Every time I try to make a selective choice I am stumped because I can't figure out whats from where. Not only to support US but to prevent myself from inadvertently supporting places which I think have troubling condition - this side of it freaks me out. I haven't felt in control of what I am buying or supporting in ages. My family used to be all about "Look for the Union Label" (remember the jingle) but that's gone, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could find it. More recently I was doing the whole NON GMO label when I could find it. I miss choices so I'd like those back

China is coming out of this looking horribly bad, and imho deservedly so. Wonderful people but that regime is as stupid as they are evil. Manufacturing will shift to more transparent (relatively) Asian Countries, like Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and Myanmar.

Bring on the aspics!

🤮

Hopefully more American manufacturing. I think we are learning what relying on other countries for supply chains can do.

I'm always torn on this one. - I want the local jobs and the supply line security, but I don't want the poor air quality that comes with factories.

To the original question - I like the idea of bringing drive-in movies back!

And I definitely hope families remember how much fun the game nights and walks together were, and find a way to keep some time for those when things get busy again.

I'm also holding out hope for old-fashioned letter-writing to make some sort of nostalgic come-back. (But I know I'm pushing it.)

Not anymore! Not after this!

What I can't understand is why products like I*Phones that have a massive markup can't be made in the USA. With automation you wouldn't really need many workers to assemble them in the USA. Apple would still make huge profits on every sale.

🤮

I'm always torn on this one. - I want the local jobs and the supply line security, but I don't want the poor air quality that comes with factories.

To the original question - I like the idea of bringing drive-in movies back!

And I definitely hope families remember how much fun the game nights and walks together were, and find a way to keep some time for those when things get busy again.

I'm also holding out hope for old-fashioned letter-writing to make some sort of nostalgic come-back. (But I know I'm pushing it.)

I just read an article yesterday that says USPS is in a real bad way financially, so you might be sending your letters via carrier pigeon :(

What I can't understand is why products like I*Phones that have a massive markup can't be made in the USA. With automation you wouldn't really need many workers to assemble them in the USA. Apple would still make huge profits on every sale.

Cell phones are still largely assembled by hand. Those factories have thousands of people working in them, for basically slave labor wages. People frequently commit suicide, the conditions are so bad. If cell phones were manufactured in the USA, the would cost three times as much, easily, and we would still have to import all the materials, which are made overseas. Electronics manufacturing will never come to the US in a large scale.

Cell phones are still largely assembled by hand. Those factories have thousands of people working in them, for basically slave labor wages. People frequently commit suicide, the conditions are so bad. If cell phones were manufactured in the USA, the would cost three times as much, easily, and we would still have to import all the materials, which are made overseas. Electronics manufacturing will never come to the US in a large scale.

If the phones were manufactured in the USA the plants would be automated to reduce costs. Even if the assembly costs of the phone doubled by shifting production to the US. Apple would still make a huge profit on the phones.

I just read an article yesterday that says USPS is in a real bad way financially, so you might be sending your letters via carrier pigeon :(

They are struggling because mail volume is rapidly decreasing. If it wasn't for the junk mail they would have gone bankrupt years ago.

If the phones were manufactured in the USA the plants would be automated to reduce costs. Even if the assembly costs of the phone doubled by shifting production to the US. Apple would still make a huge profit on the phones.

You can't automate the entire process of making cell phones. If you could, they would have already done that.

I think very few things will ever permanently change as a result of this. 9/11 had a lot of short term changes but long term...yeah, see something/say something stuck, you're still taking your shoes off at the airport, and people are a little more alert around high crowds but overall, I wouldn't personally consider anything to be long-term life altering changes.

But I do think you'll see more acceptance of disposable items come back. Plastic forks/spoons/extra wrapping around said items.

yeah, see something/say something stuck, you're still taking your shoes off at the airport, and people are a little more alert around high crowds but overall, I wouldn't personally consider anything to be long-term life altering changes.
People in the United States used to be able to enter theme parks, sports stadiums, arena concerts, and all kinds of other large events without their bags being searched, and without having to go through metal detectors. There were no security lines to enter these types of places before.

You might think these changes were good or bad, but there is no doubt that things are different.

There is nothing stopping gas stations from offering full service today.

I think the suggestion has more to do with the full service being the only option. Oregon is the other state by the way. You can't just pump your own gas. You need to wait for the guy picking his nose, not paying attention, to realize you're waiting and then he's going to fill it for you. For "safety" of course.

Although, I will say that as much as I laugh about it, I was getting gas last week and when I was finishing up, I noticed this dude just smoking at the pump while he was fueling. I've never seen that before...it's one of things that you hear about but it really takes your breath away in person.

I hope more people grow their own gardens and keep their own chickens. We do it and it is fantastic to have control over our food (well some of it)
I still get most of my groceries from the store but I have chickens, tend to a small garden, and eat fresh fish often. I don’t have a large enough garden to feed us, I admit I need to work on this, but we could survive off fish, crabs, and oysters if need be.

I think the suggestion has more to do with the full service being the only option. Oregon is the other state by the way.

I love watching all of the Oregonians pulling up to the pumps in Vancouver. They all just sit there for awhile and then realize no one is going to pump their gas for them.

I think very few things will ever permanently change as a result of this. 9/11 had a lot of short term changes but long term...yeah, see something/say something stuck, you're still taking your shoes off at the airport, and people are a little more alert around high crowds but overall, I wouldn't personally consider anything to be long-term life altering changes.

But I do think you'll see more acceptance of disposable items come back. Plastic forks/spoons/extra wrapping around said items.

curious, I think the whole world changed after 9/11 in very permanent ways but that we tend to gloss over the changes because they became necessary and we got used to them quickly. Our demand for instant news never existed before we felt vulnerable, I read the newspaper every few days and kept up with things though idle chatter. There were huge changes to privacy that we now endure because we discovered that danger wasn't someplace else. There were monumental changes to all matters concerning safety and public response to safety, things became coordinated and methodical. Not so sure how old you are but really try to think back to 1999 or so, the whole world looked and felt different - I think the fact it seems to be less changed is due to the extraordinary ability of people to be very adaptive and just get on with things. Once the shock wears off people just tend to forge ahead

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter