Thinking of taking our first trip to Disney as a single mom of 4 kids

CarlsonClan

Earning My Ears
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a first trip to Disney with 4 kids. My kids are 5, 7, 9 and 10. I'm thinking of only going for 3 nights (I'd be taking them out of school) for this first trip and staying on site. I think I may only go to MK for this first trip so as not to overwhelm myself or my kids.

Would it seem reasonable to do two days at the resort and one day at MK or should I squeeze in another park, most likely AK? I was kind of thinking since this is my first time I could see how things go and plan for a longer trip next time.

For your kids' ages MK and AK are great choices for parks. I would encourage you to make a longer stay though. Unless you are semi local, traveling that far for only a 3 nights stay will feel too rushed. I would personally do a minimum of 5 nights, even if you are only doing AK and MK. HS and Epcot are amazing parks too, but also Disney Springs is fun to check out. Whatever you choose, have an amazing first trip!

Those are great ages to go... I agree with above, and would try to add a night or two. What time of year are you thinking of going?

I've always let my DD set the pace on our trips... I decided before our first trip, that I would not have the "we're spending thousands of dollars for an amazing, magical time we have to see & do everything!!!"... For us it was about time away just the 2 of us. It's vacation after all. For us the resort time is as much as the park time. I am a hyper planner (spreadsheets & everything)...:bitelip:... I do this just for me b/c I have to visually see if this dining is going to work with this fast pass, or this park, etc. HOWEVER, once we get there I use our pre-booked activities as a guide, but I'm not married to it. We've missed fast passes, and cancelled dining last minute because we were busy doing something else, or just wanted to chill at the pool. Give yourself permission to do that.

Almost every trip we've done I've pulled my daughter out of school. Sometimes I've timed it so she's out the week PRIOR to a scheduled vacation, and then she has the week of school vacation to make up work.

Have fun!

I agree with the above posters. The shorter the trip the more stressful. Longer trip is much less stressful so you don’t have to rush through things. If you are set on a 3 day trip I would do at LEAST 2 park days if not 3. Two resort days and one park day is a waste of a trip unless you are an hour drive away.

Are you a WDW vet? Have you been before? Are you familiar with the parks?

I've been 6 times, the last time being my first as a single mom. I took just my 2 kids, ages 10 and 6. I know the parks really well, and LOVE Disney. We did 3 days of park hoppers, open to close. Took small breaks each day in the afternoon back at the resort. But mostly we were going, going, going. We did 3 parks in one day. And 2 parks the other 2 days. We had an amazing time. I hope you do as well!! If you need advice, let me know!

I would do 2 days at MK and only one resort day. Depending on where you stay, there may not be much to do at the resort beyond swimming. I'm just not much of a resort person though, I like to get out and do something (even if it's just walking around Disney Springs).

I'd stick with MK, there's something for all ages and you'll have a blast!

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a first trip to Disney with 4 kids. My kids are 5, 7, 9 and 10. I'm thinking of only going for 3 nights (I'd be taking them out of school) for this first trip and staying on site. I think I may only go to MK for this first trip so as not to overwhelm myself or my kids.

Would it seem reasonable to do two days at the resort and one day at MK or should I squeeze in another park, most likely AK? I was kind of thinking since this is my first time I could see how things go and plan for a longer trip next time.
If you ask 100 people this question you will probably get 100 different answers. When talking to friends about Disney I typically suggest two days for MK. Only you know what works for your family. I doubt you are planning going to the parks from rope drop to fireworks. Being on property you always have the option of going back to the resort for a rest / break. A resort / pool day is a great way to just relax with each other and recharge. Since this is a first trip, take it slow and watch your kids for clues that they need a break. No matter what you do you will have fun. Have a great time. After your trip let us know what you decided on and how it went.

We do fine! Just plan on moving slowly and don't rush or it won't be fun for anyone! I try to go with its jacket weather since the heat does me in.

So, if finances are a concern and you would rather keep it to one day of park tickets, then I'd suggest doing the park day in the middle of the trip. The other two days I'm assuming you'll be flying in and flying out. You may not have access to your room when you get there, but they will absolutely let you use the pool facilities and such. I'd have a carry on with swimming gear and fresh clothes for afterward as you won't have access to your luggage if you let Magical Express handle it (which I prefer because I've only got so many arms as a single mom!). Then you'll be able to go to MK first thing on your full day there and take advantage of any Extra Magic Hours that Magic Kingdom may be running and be able to go in early when the crowds are less, rest in the middle of the day, and go back to enjoy MK in the golden hour and how magical it is at night. You will NOT be able to do everything, and particularly with younger riders, you may want to prep what you want to get accomplished in advance or you'll waste a lot of your day wandering around. I have a whole theory on how to break up MK with littler legs if you'd like that info. I'd also suggest staying on the Skyliner, less expensively would be Pop Century, or there is Caribbean Beach at the moderate level. Pop's pools are wet and fine, but Caribbean's has a couple of water slides, one for smaller riders and one for the slightly more adventurous. The Skyliner though, is a BEAUTIFUL ride that spins you to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, and is relaxing and entertaining and free. I recommend it at sunset because, STUNNING. It won't help you travel to MK, so you'll use the bus for that, but just having that other thing to go and do that is stress free and relaxing is awesome. Also, you could get off at the Epcot stop and walk over to the Boardwalk Resort, which is a LOT of fun too.

If cost is not the concern, and you're just looking to not overwhelm any of you, I'd recommend adding one more day to your trip. That gives you two days at MK, which I build in to any trip I take, even traveling on adult-only trips. It really is that big, and breaking it up into two days means you feel less rushed.

Happy travels!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!