"This is a special place"-Feb 2019 WDW & Cruise-COMPLETED (finally) 6/29!

Then time to head out for the day.

Decided to take uber rather than bus over to Beach Club. I knew we had limited time before dinner reservation, so didn’t want to chance a long bus wait time. Arrived and no room assignment via text/app, but they let us know the room number at the front desk. We ended up having issues with my magicband not working, which happened all day (the CM at the desk eventually gave us an anytime FP for the following day but I don’t think we bothered to use it).

VdiHuJ3.jpg
Ge3g6AF.jpg
asqFWQj.jpg

Our room was nice. The view wasn’t anything special. And overall I just didn’t really love it. I also don’t like how the villas are so far out of the way, which I understand since it was added on later. So, I don't really feel the need to go back and stay at Beach Club Villas!

fTpMbnm.jpg
5AFs7FZ.jpg
KS6GLuN.jpg
I7WNYbP.jpg
xp3euXx.jpg

When we got in the room, there was a paper printout warning that the slide wasn’t going to be open during the trip. That was so annoying, because one of the reasons for visiting is that fun slide! (In the end, it opened early so I was able to ride).

We eventually got our bags delivered to the room. Where we got cleaned up and ready for dinner.

Hopped on the boat and made our way to the Dolphin (first time actually going into this building).

NXu0lXb.jpg
TSw4iVH.jpg

A bit turned around – signage isn’t great in there. But we made our way to dinner, Shulas.

TbobySg.jpg

It was very upscale, with no kids in the restaurant (not a rule, just none happened to be there). There were some annoying conventioneers of course. Meal was huge and delicious (thanks to advice from @Raeven we had a buy 1 get 1 free for my mom’s birthday which was a few days before our trip)!

97R6G2Q.jpg

Mom got the prime rib, which was just huge!

DeTzIVn.jpg

I got the fillet, my favorite cut of steak

VIXInBD.jpg

And we shared the mashed potatoes and green beans

HpCg1UC.jpg
5mtvJVl.jpg

Wasn’t planning on sharing the soufflé, but we were too stuffed to each get our own! We could barely eat one!

VVGoOSR.jpg

Shulas was very good, but it's not an absolute repeat for me. I think because it is pretty pricey and sides aren't even included (though I think that is typical for fancy steakhouses). I still would recommend it for people looking at good steaks in WDW, but I would prob prefer something that is more uniquely Disney.

Afterwards did stop to check out lobby. Light piece is cool, but mom noticed dust immediately! And overall, it felt too Vegas to me. Not that Disney charm I love. Don’t think I would bother staying at the Dolphin.

OeGelp9.jpg
SnemBYs.jpg

Left and could have walked back, but we were too stuffed to move! Ended up getting a private boat ride back (the boat had dropped off passengers at Swolphin and was empty so no point going on to DHS which was closed, so they gave us a lift back to BC).

What is this, a ship for ants?

T9atyE2.jpg

The BCV lobby

Pua1Ace.jpg

Unpacked and got settled in the room. Mom did plan on sleeping on fold out couch, but there were no sheets! And we couldn’t find any in the spare bedding. So, she moved to the mini murphy bed. She didn’t mind it (at least that’s what she said) and I offered over and over to switch, but she stayed in the smaller bed (considering I paid for it all, it made sense to give me the big bed).

And to bed! While it doesn’t seem that insane of a day, still pretty exhausting! And I’m not used to travelling with someone else, let alone a WDW newbie!

Coming up: my mom returns to Epcot after 30+ years!

Fun afternoon at AK! Nice that you were able to meet up with Zach for a bit while you were there :) and even nicer that CM let you all ride together on NRJ!

And for the first time (for me and Zach), the Shaman was on B Mode and we got to see the screen.
That's the only way I've ever seen her!!!! Hoping in April I will FINALLY get to see the actual animatronic in action!

And overall I just didn’t really love it. I also don’t like how the villas are so far out of the way, which I understand since it was added on later. So, I don't really feel the need to go back and stay at Beach Club Villas!
Our first stay there was in the villas and while it wasn't bad I didn't love it. I preferred our stay in the resort side but I have to say, even with a bad experience in 2015 I think I like the Boardwalk better.
Shulas was very good, but it's not an absolute repeat for me.
Your meal looks delicious! I've debated going here but Steve isn't anxious since it's a chain. I just hear good things about it and know Chris would love it. But I too think I rather stick with the more Disney restaurants and have found plenty of great filets throughout those places.
Afterwards did stop to check out lobby. Light piece is cool, but mom noticed dust immediately! And overall, it felt too Vegas to me. Not that Disney charm I love. Don’t think I would bother staying at the Dolphin.
Yeah...........we've been there and also the Swan and I agree. During the holidays the decorations are often really nice and I see lots of families when we walk through but neither resort does it for me lol
That's the only way I've ever seen her!!!! Hoping in April I will FINALLY get to see the actual animatronic in action!
Weird! And I've only seen the animatronic, but I've also only ridden twice!

Fun afternoon! And so great that you could meet up with Zach & his dad!

Sounds like a nice evening! At least you can cross Shula's off our list now!

Our room was nice. The view wasn’t anything special. And overall I just didn’t really love it. I also don’t like how the villas are so far out of the way, which I understand since it was added on later. So, I don't really feel the need to go back and stay at Beach Club Villas!
Our first stay there was in the villas and while it wasn't bad I didn't love it. I preferred our stay in the resort side but I have to say, even with a bad experience in 2015 I think I like the Boardwalk better.
Good to know from both of you. It is so popular and I really do want to stay here, mostly for the pool and slide (the boys will love it) but it is so hard to get into at 7 months out. I still have my waitlist for it for June but I doubt it comes through. We are staying at Boardwalk for the first time and both Chad and AJ keep giving me grief because they just want to stay at BRV but I thought this year would be a good year to try something new out since BRV is about to go through a refurb. I have several friends who love BWV so I hope we enjoy it and then we can head back to BRV after the spruce up.

Shulas was very good, but it's not an absolute repeat for me. I think because it is pretty pricey and sides aren't even included (though I think that is typical for fancy steakhouses). I still would recommend it for people looking at good steaks in WDW, but I would prob prefer something that is more uniquely Disney.
Your meal looks delicious! I've debated going here but Steve isn't anxious since it's a chain. I just hear good things about it and know Chris would love it. But I too think I rather stick with the more Disney restaurants and have found plenty of great filets throughout those places.
We have a Shulas in Atlanta and we ate there one time and it was a total fail. Now, maybe we hit it on an off night but I'm sorry, at those prices, there should not be an off night. Anyway, it soured us and now Chad refuses to go back, even to the one in Disney. I'm okay with that because I happen to love Yachtsman and more time there is only a good thing.

Fun afternoon at AK! Nice that you were able to meet up with Zach for a bit while you were there :) and even nicer that CM let you all ride together on NRJ!

Yeah, I've always had good luck with getting people onto rides who don't have FPs! ;)

Fingers crossed for you!

Yeah...........we've been there and also the Swan and I agree. During the holidays the decorations are often really nice and I see lots of families when we walk through but neither resort does it for me lol

Weird! And I've only seen the animatronic, but I've also only ridden twice!
Yeah, I agree - I prefer Boardwalk Villas over Beach Club Villas. I did like the normal rooms at YC and BC better.

You should definitely try Shulas! I know Chris loves his steak, so he would probably like it. They wheel a cart out with the various cuts of meat (all packaged up so it's not gross)

I got to see the Swan chocolate sculpture at Christmas time and did like that. But overall, I don't care for the hotels.
Fun afternoon! And so great that you could meet up with Zach & his dad!

Sounds like a nice evening! At least you can cross Shula's off our list now!
Yeah it was good to see them briefly. They weren't totally coordinated trips (I had booked that cruise a year in advance and Zach finalized plans for the trip late the previous year, but we did compare dates to see if we would overlap activities.

And yeah - I could cross it off! I have a color-coded spreadsheet... It's sort of fun to cross off all the restaurants after every trip! Of course, I feel like I add just as many as I cross off!
Good to know from both of you. It is so popular and I really do want to stay here, mostly for the pool and slide (the boys will love it) but it is so hard to get into at 7 months out. I still have my waitlist for it for June but I doubt it comes through. We are staying at Boardwalk for the first time and both Chad and AJ keep giving me grief because they just want to stay at BRV but I thought this year would be a good year to try something new out since BRV is about to go through a refurb. I have several friends who love BWV so I hope we enjoy it and then we can head back to BRV after the spruce up.
I think you'll like Boardwalk. Once AJ tries out the clown slide, he will probably be convinced (it really is fun and I prefer it over the Beach Club one). And when Chad can walk down to DHS, grab a BG for RotR, and then walk back to the hotel and take a nap - that will convince him!
We have a Shulas in Atlanta and we ate there one time and it was a total fail. Now, maybe we hit it on an off night but I'm sorry, at those prices, there should not be an off night. Anyway, it soured us and now Chad refuses to go back, even to the one in Disney. I'm okay with that because I happen to love Yachtsman and more time there is only a good thing.
Yeah, I don't think Shulas was bad at all, but if you don't feel like going, there are so many other amazing places on property to try out!

Last edited:
I think you'll like Boardwalk. Once AJ tries out the clown slide, he will probably be convinced (it really is fun and I prefer it over the Beach Club one). And when Chad can walk down to DHS, grab a BG for RotR, and then walk back to the hotel and take a nap - that will convince him!
I agree that they will like it once they stay there. They are both creatures of habit so they are just most comfy at BRV but once we get to BW, I think I will see a change in attitude. And it will be nice to have an Epcot resort go-to, along with our MK resort go-to.

Day 2 – Cinnamon Rolls and Manatees

Today we woke up, not super early, but still earlier than before. But we didn’t have to go far, since it was Epcot day. We took the little hidden path down the east side of BC (mom is convinced there are gators in the woods there but we never saw any). Got some fun views of the Ratatouille construction (including the concrete pumping truck, which as an engineering geek always excites me)!

MFBrSvH.jpg
AvvbOtv.jpg

Some photos with minimal crowds and blue skies!

o4edB0c.jpg
kZST4EG.jpg

First on the agenda today – Breakfast! I booked us Garden Grill because I know mom loves cinnamon rolls, so I thought she’d like the skillet.

kvpOjY2.jpg

There was a bit of a wait to get in, but we were seated relatively quickly. We also got one of the huge booths on the lower level, which I appreciated (I figured we’d get a 2-top on the upper level).

FTqtKH5.jpg
6N0Pnnf.jpg

The cinnamon roll skillet came out quickly and we made good work of it. So yummy!

rGCRy47.jpg
Mf2k0t7.jpg

It took a while longer before the rest of the food came out. Normally I don’t mind Disney eggs, but these were especially powdery, so I only had a bite. Fruit was good, but strawberries just weren’t in season yet.

mTqVh5f.jpg

Ended up meeting all the characters. Pluto was the cutest. Dale didn’t even pause for photos. Waved at us and moved along! Whatever!

NAWmGA0.jpg
uQXcmUM.jpg
XXzHGDQ.jpg
BGfP9jR.jpg
GDadSUT.jpg
4KsK2rK.jpg

We did like seeing the different areas of the Living With The Land ride though. And there are some details you can only see from the restaurant (like into the 2nd floor of the farm).

Uzivnd8.jpg
RvUGODI.jpg

Overall, we liked this breakfast. It’s not one I need to go to over and over again, but it worked out well for us!

Next up, Living with the Land.

A0mPMC3.jpg

Also, our first experience running into a group of 15s (who had sort of invaded the Land pavilion that morning). Thankfully they were all pretty well behaved, so no real complaints. Though we started referring to them by the backpack color since there were different groups, which was funny (oh, there’s the pink group; yellow is approaching, etc).

Loved Living with the Land. Mom was impressed. (I think I also had us wait for a second boat to be able to get the front row.) On a future trip I’ll take her on Behind the Seeds. And yes, I did say FUTURE trip! Never thought I’d say that! (Though we’re talking like years and years away – she loves Mary Poppins so probably not until that area opens up)

PH0Ofm7.jpg
ezea3IA.jpg
giEBrBn.jpg
hQoZLTX.jpg
72AFE0F.jpg

After that, I think I was able to modify our Soarin FP to be earlier, and we used it right afterwards. Mom loves this ride and it was actually her first time on the new film (she’d only seen California before). I still miss Soarin over California and think it should have remained at DCA (sounds like its coming back this spring though, woohoo)! There was a cute little girl in line next to us who was frightened but I told her to look out for a baby polar bear and she was excited about that. So I’d hear all these little shouts – mom, I can see the people. Look kites! Oh an elephant! (not loud enough for the whole theatre, but I was seated next to the mom so I could hear). Her parents thanked me afterwards for calming her down!

WTiKXet.jpg

After finishing up the land (and dodging some more groups of 15s) we headed out to the Imagination pavilion. Rode Journey into Imagination, which was a virtual walk-on. I knew to plug my nose in the smell room, but decided not to share that info with my mom…

wS43Szb.jpg
e2VlDjy.jpg

I also kept trying to point out Blue Boy and Pinkie paintings in the figment version to my mom, but she didn’t realize until we left the ride! (My mom volunteers at the Huntington Garden which is where those original paintings are located so she takes first graders on tours of those paintings a couple times a week.)

Then the Seas with Nemo and Friends. Mom liked that ride – EAC definitely made me dizzy! But mom loves Dory, so I knew she had to see it.

Ud74jzG.jpg

And we spent a while wandering around the Seas. I think this was the first time Mom had seen Manatees, so she was excited to watch them. (@chunkymonkey , this was where we could have filmed a guest episode of Manatees and Me!)

vl2zeNl.jpg
Da2YErM.jpg
27UD081.jpg
LtUZqtS.jpg
RxALNAQ.jpg
ZbycKfj.jpg

A photopass stop on the way out! I liked how the photographer sort of framed (possibly accidentally) the fins as Mickey ears

u1h7lWn.jpg
VaScXFF.jpg

We then headed out to the front of the park to see the decorations over there and take some more photopass pictures!

NEHpV3z.jpg

I won’t miss those monoliths!

bBsp2s6.jpg
Ar4ZIZb.jpg
Z0bXIH7.jpg
A0Ljotx.jpg

Final ride of the day – Spaceship Earth. Mom really liked it. I let her pick all the questions at the end so I got a totally different end film!

hRFwgbq.jpg
g6ZU5f7.jpg
sNe34mC.jpg
Mu26XkI.jpg
na24tTf.jpg

Coming up: Enjoying Festival of the Arts

Wasn’t planning on sharing the soufflé, but we were too stuffed to each get our own! We could barely eat one!

That looked amazing!! And I love how there were all different "sides" to add on to the soufflee!!!

The cinnamon roll skillet came out quickly and we made good work of it. So yummy!

Yum, that looks so good! I hadn't actually considered going there for breakfast but that makes me want to!

Looks like a fun morning! I agree on Garden Grill. It's a nice breakfast but definitely by no means my favorite!

Ahhhh, the monoliths! It is funny to see them again in your pictures! Love the great photos with your mom. She looks like she is having a wonderful time! :dumbo:

Caring for Giants is a great tour - I wish they had even more (like Giraffes, cheetahs, etc)

Me too! The Philadelphia zoo has a bunch of these and you get to feed giraffes on one- I'd love to do that at AK!

We didn’t intend for this, but it looks like a phone signal bars here based on the way we lined up.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

When we got in the room, there was a paper printout warning that the slide wasn’t going to be open during the trip. That was so annoying, because one of the reasons for visiting is that fun slide! (In the end, it opened early so I was able to ride).

That's frustrating but nice that you ended up getting to ride.

Yum!

I knew to plug my nose in the smell room, but decided not to share that info with my mom…

:rotfl::rotfl:

I'm hoping I made the right call switching our Garden Grill rservation to Topolino's Terrace for April. That lovely cinnamon roll skillet has me regretful at the moment!!!

If they only fixed one thing in the refurb, I'd love it to be the swiss-cheese head you end up with when they take your picture LOL

I'm hoping I made the right call switching our Garden Grill rservation to Topolino's Terrace for April. That lovely cinnamon roll skillet has me regretful at the moment!!!

If they only fixed one thing in the refurb, I'd love it to be the swiss-cheese head you end up with when they take your picture LOL
I did Topolino in January and it was DELICIOUS! Also super fun character interactions because it's not too crowded! Definitely I would pick Topolino over GG!

Hi, Lesley! :goodvibes I don't think I checked in yet, so just wanted to quickly announce myself before I forget again. I've read a few of your other trip reports and was happy to see this one as well. And with your mom this time, how cool! Thanks as always for sharing your travels - I really enjoy reading your reports.

Maureen

That looked amazing!! And I love how there were all different "sides" to add on to the soufflee!!!

Yum, that looks so good! I hadn't actually considered going there for breakfast but that makes me want to!
I did like the souffle set-up with lots of different sides! They were all pretty yummy!
Looks like a fun morning! I agree on Garden Grill. It's a nice breakfast but definitely by no means my favorite!
Yeah, I won't be opposed to a repeat visit, but so many other places I want to see!
Ahhhh, the monoliths! It is funny to see them again in your pictures! Love the great photos with your mom. She looks like she is having a wonderful time! :dumbo:
Haha, yeah it's weird to look back at all these photos from a year ago pre-construction land!
Me too! The Philadelphia zoo has a bunch of these and you get to feed giraffes on one- I'd love to do that at AK!

:rotfl: :rotfl:

That's frustrating but nice that you ended up getting to ride.

Yum!

:rotfl::rotfl:
I want to try out some of the tours at AKL, just haven't had time! There's a morning one where you go into the barns and it seems so cool!
Wow what a nice view to be upgraded to!
It was great!
Sounds like a great morning!!
Yup! Worked out well! And not too many crowds either!
Hi, Lesley! :goodvibes I don't think I checked in yet, so just wanted to quickly announce myself before I forget again. I've read a few of your other trip reports and was happy to see this one as well. And with your mom this time, how cool! Thanks as always for sharing your travels - I really enjoy reading your reports.

Maureen
Hi! And welcome!
We like GG breakfast, food is usually good, but two out of our three visits we had characters skip us :rolleyes: I definitely agree Topolinos is better!
Yeah, that is weird about the characters skipping people in that restaurant!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!