Those that follow discount trends

monica9

DIS Veteran
I know this is not like anything else that has ever happened but what do you predict for 2021? Some people I have talked to think prices will skyrocket and they won't give any discounts to make up the money lost but others think they will give some great deals to get people back there once everything dies down. What do you predict or have you seen in similar situations like when the economy crashed in the early 2000's?

Your guess is as good as anyone else’s. I am in my 60s & have been going to WDW & DL since the early 90s. Until this week I never would have believed the US parks would close. This is truly unprecedented & I can’t even begin to speculate on 2021. I am still wondering if my April trip should be moved to May & if our September trip will happen.

Because you asked about the early 2000s.... that really was mostly a US event, even tho people from many nations were killed. Travel was way down & discounts were plentiful. There were book 4 nights, get 3 free, then book 5 get 2 promos. Multiple hurricanes hit Florida one year & free dining was born the following year. Economic downturns happened in late 2000s & we had great discounts.

But this is global. It stated 4 months ago in China & it is just beginning to ramp up in the US. No one knows how long anything will last or the full impact, either in lives affected or economically. And we probably won’t know for months. My best prediction the first thing done is that any project that isn’t already started will be eliminated, delayed or reduced. But right now 2021 seems a lifetime away.

At some point in the next few weeks/months, the US will move past the peak in Coronavirus cases. But the economic impact will remain for some time. I fully expect 40% off deluxes, 35% off moderates, 30% off values, ridiculous opaque values, free dining, and additional passholder perks.

I predict deep discounts because people will not be able to afford to travel. Disney will take a hit but they are a very lucrative business, they will not be flattened by this. Many people are going to be hurting to the point that they cannot even feed their families after this - Disney will not even be a blip to them. That's including people who would have been going in the next year. Globally the economy is tanking, people from other countries aren't going to be able to come either.

Sooooo, I'm anticipating big sales to brighten morale and make it doable for more people. Lately Disney has been skewing more and more upper middle class, lets be honest with these insane price increases lately, and I think they'll be shooting for more average blue collar American family rates to "help" with the crappy year.

In the short term prices will stay the same. We will most likely go into a global recession. I expect to see lay-offs ramp up in the third and fourth quarter. In 2021 I expect to see discounts like we did after the 2008 collapse. Its not just Americans that visit WDW. They’re going to lose customers from around the world. The same goes for DCL.

There won't be enough working capital for Disney to re-open all at once. It could be years, if ever. Just trying to be realistic. If this lasts too long the maintenance required on the rides and property will cost more than it's worth to repair. Look how long it took after 9/11 to get back to the abandoned Pop Century resort that they turned into Art of Animation. Years. Sorry to be so pessimistic but this is going to change the whole of the world.

There won't be enough working capital for Disney to re-open all at once. It could be years, if ever. Just trying to be realistic. If this lasts too long the maintenance required on the rides and property will cost more than it's worth to repair. Look how long it took after 9/11 to get back to the abandoned Pop Century resort that they turned into Art of Animation. Years. Sorry to be so pessimistic but this is going to change the whole of the world.
This is an unlikely outcome

I think in the short-term prices will stay the same because they will want to reopen somewhat gradually & not have a packed house every day.

In the long term, prices will probably be discounted because of the recession and because some people just won't go there until a vaccine comes out sometime in 2021.

This is an unlikely outcome

I hope you are right. The longer things like restaurants, theme parks and small businesses stay closed less likely they will re-open. And the government can't revive everything. Anyway, my 60 day fastpass plus selection day isn't till July so I guess I'll try to remain hopeful.

In the short term prices will stay the same. We will most likely go into a global recession. I expect to see lay-offs ramp up in the third and fourth quarter. In 2021 I expect to see discounts like we did after the 2008 collapse. Its not just Americans that visit WDW. They’re going to lose customers from around the world. The same goes for DCL.
Yeah, I think the best we can try to predict is based off the 2008 recession, financially anyways. Probably H1N1 to compare with the effects of illness. Mash those two together and we might have some type of feasible prediction for this.

We have to remember, Disney's prices became very inflated because of the great economy. Their prices went up way higher than inflation. The inevitable recession is going to put that in check. I remember the great deals they offered from the 2008/2009 recession, I took advantage of them. I suspect the inevitable recession/possible depression from this will be much worse than that recession. When people aren't financially secure, they aren't going to take expensive vacations, which in turn, will force Disney to offer deals to get people in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!