Thoughts on 75 Point Minimum for Prospective Members

Bruin_mouse

Mouseketeer
I had an epiphany about the new point minimum this week and decided to share it because maybe it can help some people reframe their thoughts on rushing to buy direct points that are available by next Saturday. As I've said before, there are a lot of people on here that are very generous with their time and knowledge so I want to make a small contribution. My caveat for this story is that it took an incredible stroke of luck for me to come to this realization and that most people probably won't have the good luck I did, so I don't fault people that are not currently DVC members at all for buying direct to make the deadline. Also just to be clear this is addressed to folks like me that will not be members by the 75 point deadline. If I was a current member, I would have a different calculus since I would be eligible to buy 25 points direct.

I'm currently closing on a VGC resale contract, my first DVC contract. Around the same time I got into contract, I decided I wanted a smaller DVC contract at WDW as well. Given the general principle that smaller resale contracts in your use year are hard to find and usually more expensive per point, I decided that direct was the better way to go. I also was attracted to getting the perks of a direct contract. I decided on a 50 point contract at BLT since this would give me the opportunity to get a studio every three years for a week during a good portion of the year by banking and borrowing. My plan was to close on the VGC contract then call DVC and get on the waitlist for BLT points.

Of course this plan was blown to smithereens last weekend when Disney announced the new 75 point minimum for direct contract benefits. Since there was no way I'd close by the deadline, I looked into options for buying a 50 points directly before the deadline. None of the options that would probably be available by the deadline interested me. CCV was intriguing, but there was no advantage to buying the 75 point minimum contract that non-members are eligible for. Given these options, I decided that I'd grin and bear buying 75 direct BLT points after my VGC contract closed. I figured at least I'd be getting more options for booking a studio and even might be able to get a one bedroom for some of the year. I would be at the resort I wanted to be at, instead of rushed into buying something I might not be happy with just to make the deadline. Also, I'd get the coveted blue membership card in my hand and the perks that go with it.

As it happens, Wednesday night I couldn't sleep. I started clicking around online and I saw a 100 point resale BLT contract with the same use year as my VGC contract. It was well priced so that even including closing costs it would be almost the exact same price as 75 direct points. That caught my attention so I looked at the BLT point chart. It blew my mind. Every three years I'd be able to not only get a one bedroom anytime during virtually the entire year, but I'd even be able to even get a two bedroom during some of the year. It dawned on me that this kind of flexibility was far better than getting 10% off at Blue Bayou or on some R2D2 Mickey Ears.

I ended up putting in an offer that night that was fairly close to asking and the sellers accepted a few hours later. (I hope I haven't jinxed myself by posting!) I write this to give the prospective new members like me something to think about. Ultimately buying direct might be the right answer. If not for the impending 75 point minimum, I would have just got on the wait list and bought 50 points direct when they became available. While part of me would rather have the extra money in my pocket, given the circumstances I think things worked out alright. Just food for thought as this week unfolds. If you made it this far thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Thank you & good luck with ROFR!

reminder: Be sure the BLT contract gets titled exactly the same as your VGC contract so that it is added to your (by then) existing membership. That will make combining points at 7 months a lot easier. :)

Since you plan to go every three year, the AP discount is worth nothing for you and while Moonlight Magic events can be nice, what are the chances of one being held when you go? Not many. And in any case Disney does paid event all the time, with the money you saved you can by a lot of events tickets.

I think you have a great out look on the situation. What you are buying (for certain) is the points and the ability to get a room and because you were trying to take a clear look at your situation you now have more points to work with vs the $10 you might save on dinner. I think all too many have been clouded by the perks thinking i must have access to them, but really how often will you get to be there when there is an event going on.

Another notion is the 10% off on dining. You can very easily stock up on target gift cards, using their target red and save 5% -- which can be used EVERYWHERE for your entire party. Whereas the DVC or even the AP discount is only good for 10% up to 4 guests and only at select locations. I think when people really step back and look at what they are paying to get the direct benefits it really doesn't add up.

The main point of these DVC direct purchases is for a room discount compared to regular hotel rooms, The main drive of resale is to get that same direct contract for 20-40% less than direct and to save even MORE money.

I honestly didn't even really know much about the perks when i bought, everything i read noted that the perks change-- so why was i going to worry about them when i got into buying resale. I knew what it would cost to get a room at a the various deluxe resorts and I realized the savings that a DVC resale would provide me.

Thank you for your post. My husband keeps telling me we need to get the 25 points ASAP. I bought resale this past summer at BWV. I would love to add to it but would rather buy resale again at a later time. I keep telling the husband the extras are not worth it over and over again. Maybe if he reads this...maybe....

As many are now realizing the hype of membership magic is greater than the actual benefits. The dates of the moonlight magic events may not match your scheduled vacation and do you really want to change your plans to have a shorter line on a ride that you have ridden many times before? The food discount may be nice if again it matches where you wish to eat, we find eating in our villa is really where the cash savings are. We do eat out a couple of times per stay but most of the food is overpriced and just so, so.

:earsboy: Bill

It’s seems like you did a great job thinking through your decision and making the best choice for you!

All of our points are at BLT, and we absolutely love it. I’m sure you guys will too!

I am in a similar situation to you. And funny enough, I came to the very same conclusion a few days ago. I was waitlisted for OKW as my guide said that I would be able to buy direct there before the deadline. When I got the call that the points came available, I just I let them go. I would rather buy a slightly larger contract at the actual resort I want to stay at for around the same price. The extras that come with the direct purchase are just not worth it for us.

Thanks all for your kind words. @disneynutz you were one of the folks I had in mind when I was talking about people on here being so generous with their time and knowledge. Thanks for helping educate folks like me who showed up here a few months ago with no clue about DVC. I'm still learning everyday but what I learned on here was critical when I went to the DVC presentation at DLR last month.

@Teresadoxie I agree with you 100%. One thing I think that has been pushed aside too quickly this week in the rush is the cost of adding direct points. When the DVC guide told me SSR points might become available before the deadline, but no way BLT points would, I realized that was ~$7,500 that I would rather go towards somewhere I want to stay instead of towards rushing to meet some deadline. It seems like there are a lot of wealthy people on here, but I personally don't have an extra $7,500 laying around. Any decision involving $500+ is a big decision for me. Hopefully this post can help your husband look at those 25 direct points in a different way.

@kniquy I wish I had your wisdom before going through all these mental gymnastics this week. If not for seeing that BLT resale listing no way I would have ever had that realization and just ended up buying direct.

That's great @igrsod! Like I said to kniquy, I wish I had the wisdom to come to your conclusion on my own. But/for the BLT resale listing I saw, no way I would have changed my mind.

Another notion is the 10% off on dining. You can very easily stock up on target gift cards, using their target red and save 5% -- which can be used EVERYWHERE for your entire party. Whereas the DVC or even the AP discount is only good for 10% up to 4 guests and only at select locations. I think when people really step back and look at what they are paying to get the direct benefits it really doesn't add up.

This one is a false equivalency. You can use gift cards to pay for your meal after any discounts are applied, including Tables in Wonderland or DVC. This means you can buy the gift cards at target, apply the discount, and then pay using them. That would bring your discount down to 14.5% as opposed to 5%. The discount difference is actually a little larger because the discount would also save you on sales tax while the gift cards will not.

I think there will be a lot of regret both ways when all is said and done. Some will have made rash decisions to buy points that weren't what they truly wanted or needed just to get benefits they later determine aren't worth it. Some will be sorry they didn't just go ahead and buy 25 at Aulani because they suddenly find themselves buying 5 APs and the $1300 savings time and time again would have more than paid for the purchase or they've missed a couple of events that they would have loved to attend and they'd have had an extra 25 points they find they'd needed for accommodations to boot.

I am a "keep my dues low and keep my stays within budget" kind of gal. I wouldn't want 25 extra points whether by way of resale savings / availability (like OP) or like many are doing right now by buying direct (if they weren't already intending to or if it's not where they really want to buy).

Every person needs to be honest with themselves on what works for them and what is important to them and what they can afford. I personally think the 25 point add-on was a phenomenal deal if planned as part of your overall purchase. Even if I'd save $50 - $60 / point resale, the additional cost of those 25 points is only $1250-$1500 and made up in 1 trip for our family. Even at 75, I don't think it's bad.... $3750 - $4500, as long as DVC doesn't yank AP discounts. So, if we made it thru a few purchases and trips, we come out ahead.

I think people run into trouble when the ENTIRE direct purchase is solely for benefits. You start spending $3800+ AND paying annual dues on those unnecessary points every year and the math is going to get very questionable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter