Thoughts on Disney after visit to DL/DCA

DisDuck

Backup Driver to Car#1
Hi to all.. I have been away from the boards for 2 weeks now. Spent 1 week in Escondido and go to visit several parks. I have been giving a lot of thought as to what to say especially with all the rumors and hand-wringing going on about WDW and cutbacks. For those who don't know me, I am a car#1 person (still) and while some think I wear rose-colored glasses I just take the long view (glass half full) rather than the short view (glass half empty). So now my viewpoints.

Spent 11/3 to 11/11 on West Coast; visited San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Kingdom, Universal Studios, DisneyLand and Disney California Adventures. This is not a trip report just my observations and comparisons.

San Diego Zoo/Wild Animal Kingdom: Nice place to visit but even with the open spaces of Wild Animal Kingdom it does not compare to Animal Kingdom. Built for different audiences. Cost is almost the same based on 1-day passes. Lots and lots of walking to get from exhibit to exhibit. Has the look and feel of an open-air zoo. Even in Wild Animal Kingdom which is built to emulate natural habitats of the various species, it still is more like Busch Gardens at Tampa. If out on West Coast again will probably bypass both parks.

Universal Studios: Too sterile. Its back-lot tour is a real tour of the working studios. It incorporates 3 of the individual rides of USF into the tour so USH actually has less rides than USF and there is no equivalent of IOA.

DisneyLand: Walked under the railroad and stared up Main Street. I am home but where is my castle. Sleeping Beauty's is so much smaller than Cinderella's. However, Pirates at DL is better than Pirates at WDW and so is It's a Small World. The outside of IT's is something to see especially when the clock chimes. Splash Mountain has minimal themeing compared to WDW version and I like the 2 across seating better than the log flume type. Crowds were non-existent on a Monday. The park was open from 10 to 8, I got there at 11 and saw everything but Autopia and Toontown. Loved the parade and fireworks, especially the soap-bubble snow flakes. Haunted Mansion all dressed up for Halloween/Christmas and looked great. 1-day pass was $43 dollars and I thought it was well worth it. I missed Fantasmic but everything does eventually need rehab. Maintenance and cleanliness was very up to Disney Standards, even increased security was done Disney fashion (extra Keystone Kops). I will visit again but still love WDW more.

DCA: What is all the fuss about. I went 11/12(Friday) got there about 10:30, park hours were from 10 to 8. It was a lovely place. Each areas theme made its point. Paradise Pier reminded me of my youth at Coney Island with the dirt and carny barkers. The theme was PERFECT. The games were not intrusive as at 6flags nor were any of the Cast Members running them pushing people to play. This area is just what Walt would have wanted for a Carny Area. Clean, bright, friendly without the hustling. Here is where I saw the best that Disney can be. Donald Duck, Goofy & Pluto coming down the street towards the entrance for their appearance. They picked up people along the way almost like a parade. Donald and Goofy put their arms around some guests and walked to the viewing spot ARM-IN-ARM with them. How beautiful. Also, good to see Donald get some play. Later on Donald directs Goofy, his son Max and Mickey & Minnie in a beach movie. Children are given a special area upfront and encourage to dance and sing-along with the characters. Disney does this better than anyone. The Light Parade while smaller was still breath-taking and the new Luminia show was just marvelous. It opened that night. During the day children can stop at a show store front to draw holiday greetings. These are scanned into a computer and become part of the Lum show. The fireworks portion was great especially the finale. I don't know how Another Voice could be negative about this show, especially so soon after it opened when the audience was applauding afterward. The crowds were somewhat heavy (probably because of Friday and the new show) but I saw everything with little or no wait. My family (including 78 yo mother-in-law) liked DCA and would not hesitate going back. If one does not rush and just expect rides this can be a full day park (just as animal kingdom can be a full day if one takes the time to soak in the atmosphere instead of rushing from ride to ride).

Now for the soapbox portion of my show. Anyone not wishing to read further is excused at this time.

I acknowledge (like someone else did) that Disney did the WORST public relations job EVER in handling its changes before and after Sept 11th. But so what. Tell me what other company has plans to place to handle publicity and changes in face of what happened Sept 11th. Get over it, please. The real substance is what could Disney have done instead of what they did. In light of the dramatic drop in crowds (if WDW experienced the type/lack of crowds I did in DL/DCA then it was dramatic), should Disney closed 1 park per day (rotating among the 4). That would have been worse. Instead, they eliminate EE, so its a perk for staying onsite. Big deal, think of it as able to get another hour's sleep and being more refreshed for hitting the parks. Gee, they closed Carosuel of Progress, who was going on it anyway? Yes lets keep it but maybe do what? to cover costs of running. As for laying off Cast Members, every industry has been doing the same thing since Sept 11th. How come noone here is crying about the thousands in the airline industry or that several shows closed on Broadway. I think Disney's solution of cutting back hours is better than cutting people. Reducing number of shows is better than eliminating them completely. Lets see Broadway has reduced some tickets for some shows for a limited time to attract people back. So for a 3 hour showing of Phantom, I can pay $45 for an Orchestra seat. For approximately $50, I get from 9 hours to 12 hours (depending on the park) with more than 1 show (plus a parade) and many rides. Yet some want Disney to cut prices claiming that their admission price has lost value. WHAT LOSE. Come on entertainment dollar for entertainment dollar Disney still wins hands-down.

Am I happy with everything going on at WDW right now, NO but given all the circumstances I am willing to cut slack and look to the future. I will revisit this theme when I go to WDW at the end of June/2002 and update my thoughts & feelings then.

End of soapbox.. back to your regularily scheduled rumor mill.

Welcome back my main Duck! Glad you had fun!

I'll pass for now on your comments, no time. But don't worry. you gave me enough material to keep the quote function working overtime. And I may even surprise you by agreeing with some of the things you said. ;)

Anyway, welcome back!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Welcome back DisDuck. Glad you had a good time.

what did you think of fantasyland in general? I like Disneyland FL better. more stuff to do. Although it is all ofr the younger crowd.

I agree with most of your observations DisDuck. We stayed at Paradise Pier Hotel Over the Veterans Day weekend and loved it. The parks were quite busy. I did think that some of the empty feeling at DCA was due to the wide open walkways as compared to the narrow ones at DL...I do want to credit Disney also with the Art of Disney Animation attraction. We loved this and thought it was very well done. On the other hand, the Limo Ride was so lame we could not believe it! Even the kids were bored. It was definately the weakest link! :rolleyes:

As I, probably more than anyone, have been awaiting your return, I must say that you have expressed feelings that I would have expected to feel if I had taken the trip. With your report and based on the fact that we agree on almost all Disney issues, I say thanks for the great report and welcome back.

It seems Disney is expected to weather storms that others don't get blasted for & while we may not like all of the changes, the fact is there is still no place remotely close in theme park entertainment value.

Landbaron, where the heck have you been? No computer yet?:D
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

It seems to me that security might be the big issue over ee. The expense involved in staffing for our safety has not been addressed. I know everyone will say money but I like to look on the bright side, and hope Disney has our best interests at heart. It takes the same amount of security personel to cover the parks whether there's a small crowd or large.

This is really D.R. My wife Melissa posts all the time under my name, and I am on her laptop this time so I'm posting under hers.

I agree with most of what you say, disduck, thank you. I'm glad you had a great time. I also though superstar limo was the worst thing ever. Sourin over ca. is really cool though and makes up for it. Like disduck, the paradise pier section didn't bother me too much. I thought they actually pulled it off. This is coming from someone who, a couple of years ago, stumbled unto a test outside of hester and chesters in dinoland where they had set up midway games and had a bunch of kids with the tablet pcs surveying about them and I went on a tirade about how Walt wanted a place where people could have fun with their kids away from the carny crap....but anyway....

The reason I wanted to post was the part I don't agree with is Pirates. Everyone prefers Disneyland pirates, and I really don't get it. In disneyland, when you enter the ride building POOF you are right at the boats. That entry way is so weird, with the boats raised up above the walk way. I prefer the disney world cue where you enter the carribean fort and walk through the cavern to get to the boats.

In disneyland, the opening by blue bayou doesn't do that much for me. It reminds me of rio del tiempo. The little cabin and fire flies and banjo music do little to set the scene for me - what does this have to do with the carribean?

Most of the added scenes in disneyland are in the caverns in the front. In disneyland, there are added scenes in the caverns, but you also spend more dead time in the caverns as well. There is a bit more of a clear story line in disneyland - you have seen the treasure and you know where it is, and so now you may be in big trouble - after all, dead men tell no tales. But I think that in disneyland it lags a bit in the caves and I get bored.

The two are basically the same until the end. In disney world, the treasure scenes are at the end. I actually prefer this, I like this story line better. In disneyland, there is instead the scene where the pirates are shooting in the powder keg room. But then, in disneyland, you have to ride the boat up the conveyer belt! I really didn't like that. Talk about blowing the story! Plus, it is pretty uncomfortable. In disney world, you get off, then the boats go up the conveyer without you and you don't have to sit through it.

Plus, at disneyworld you are so conveniently in the souvineir shop, in disneyland you have to make an effort to turn and walk through it :)

Anyway, I know everyone loves disneyland's pirates better, but in a lot of ways I honestly prefer disney worlds. I do love the gallery above it though.

I guess I've blown this thread off the rumor board, sorry.

DR

PS Has anyone heard any rumors about NBC haunted mansion makeover making its way to Florida? That was so awesome it is almost worth the trip west by itself.

d-r
I sort of agree with you. the trick to the first part of DL's Pirates is that the whole story is supposed to start as a lazy trip through the Louisiana Bayou. Then you find the pirate Cave and tumble in. that is the original story of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Mr. Duck, I am very glad you enjoyed your visit my part of the world. It may shock you, but I agree with the majority of your opinions despite the color of my glasses. You seem to have put in quit a bit of traveling in your time out here and I hope you missed our one day of rain.

On your observations, the San Diego Zoo’s animal park was built primarily as a breeding facility and the visitor accommodations are no where near Disney levels – as you said it was built for a different audience (but SD's open air truck ride to feed the animals is beyond anything in Florida). Universal Studios Hollywood has never really worked for me either. As a theme park it’s just too small and Warner Brothers offers a vastly (truly vastly) better tour of a real working studio. For me, it’s much more fun visiting the Universal lot and messing with the tourists than it is being the tourist driving past the movie people.

I have noticed that there is one hard and fast rule to Disneydom – you fall in love with the first Magic Kingdom you see and all the others will never feel right. To us out here, the Florida castle is monstrous without the warmth and charm of our Sleeping Beauty castle. And people who first saw WDW think Disneyland is far too small. Neither group is right nor wrong, it just comes down to taste. I will admit that our Pirates is better and our Splash is only in “rough draft” form at best. Our Small World was one of the last projects Walt himself worked on and it truly shows (and WDW’s version was my biggest disappointment on my first visit east). I wish you had seen ToonTown - that is really some of Disney’s best themeing.

As for California Adventure, I think the “left coast – right coast” thing plays into things here as well. As I’ve written before, the park was designed for out-of-town visitors and not locals. A valid design goal, but questionable business when 70%+ of your business is local. That Paradise Pier reminds you Coney Island is great, except that theme does absolutely nothing for us Californians (and it’s kind of funny for a park about California). The Disney characters were never supposed to appear in the park and only showed up after the horrible first week; Disney is trying to learn and adapt but it’s been a very painful process. What did you think about ‘Soaring Over California’? I haven’t had a chance to see the new LuminAria show; the rumors are that Disneyland management is very disappointed and the local reviews have been on the low end of mixed. It’s further rumored that Fantasmic! is being quickly brought back from mothballs and will reopen in mid-December.

The attendance that you saw at Disneyland is actually very typical of this time of year. With a huge local customer base, attendance is much more seasonal than WDW and much more weighted to weekends as well. Many people expect Disneyland to be simply a smaller version of WDW’s Magic Kingdom. They are very different places and very different businesses.

Lastly on the cuts, I’ve noticed an interesting trend. People who visit several times a year are not bothered by the elimination of Early Entry. Obviously having seen the parks so many times and with repeat visits a certainty, early entry probably isn’t all that needed anyway. But for people who only travel to WDW every couple of years, the cut in hours can be a meaningful change. With EE and the general early closings, some parks seem to have lost 3 or 4 hours a day. A trip to Florida is a huge expense for most people and their “value clock” is ticking the moment they hit the property line.

In short – something that is a chance to get another hour’s sleep for one person may be a serious cut to another person’s valuable vacation. Perhaps we should all try to think about other guests before we declare a loss “no big deal”.

Everyone prefers Disneyland pirates, and I really don't get it. But I think that in disneyland it lags a bit in the caves and I get bored.

I have never seen disneyworld-magic kingdoms version of pirates but though I enjoy the ride I get bored and think the "shooting scene" where the the big pirate boat is is too long and I get bored. As for the rest of the ride I love it.

We went to DCA in Sept., I really didn't expect much, but I thought it was great. I grew up in CA, and moved to TX 20 years ago. THere are some things I like about DL/DCA and some things I prefer in WDW. THe only ride/attraction I thought was lame at DCA was the limo, but I'm sure it is a temporary filler type thing. Soarin' is awesome, and I really liked the Whoopi movie, even if it is just a movie. The afternoon parade is one of the prettiest Disney day parades I've seen, the swinging Ferris wheel is fun. THe sourdough bread factory, torilla factory, and wine making exhibits were interesting, although I think they are probably temporary, too. The Paradise Pier area reminded me of Pierpoint Landing and the Pike that used to be in Long Beach. One thing I didn't like was Wolfgang Puck's cafe at DCA, the building and theming was nice, but the food was disappointing. And McD's, while maybe a CA tradition...YUCK. I remember when they actually used to be good.

Thanks for all the replies. I have been pleasantly surprised. I thought the flames were coming since I am giving Disney some slack on the cutbacks.

Something I did leave out was Soarin.. Loved it and so did my 78 yo mother-in-law, in fact if time had permitted she wanted to go again. Now as to characters being a late addition to DCA.. who cares. They were added and it works beautifully. Disney makes mistakes but when they do something on the positive side it seems to always be a winner.

AV... I have seen no reviews of Luminia but from the opening night crowd reaction. It was a success. Maybe you can enlighten us on these reviews so that I can compare to my viewing of it.

LB... One think I forgot to mention, right up your alley. DL rides did not lead into stores. My daughter and I actually missed that feature. It is one of the 'cool' things we like about WDW (from a joking point of view - like it cannot be a Disney ride if it doesn't end in a store).

I liked DL and DCA but I have to agree with AV, my first love is WDW but I plan on returning in 2005 on DL's birthday.

Mr. Duck – I think if you check out the more Disneyland-specific sites like laughingplace.com and disneygeek.com you’ll find a wide variety of opinions. The site of He Who Must Be Despised (Even Though He’s Right) has a review and some photographs already. Opening night crowds are, well, opening night crowds, plus it seems that the place was filled with Disneyland Annual Pass holders (a different type of person from the WDW APers – they’d flame everyone in this site’s Car #1 as being negative Disney-bashing Lutz-lovers). I haven’t seen the Los Angeles Times review yet as there was major mechanical failure of the show during the media event. I’ll post the link when I see it.

The rumors from inside the berm seem to say that Disneyland management is more disappointed with LuminAria than the guests are. They were looking for a “big draw”, a show that would be a reason for people to come to California Adventure in the first place. That’s a different requirement than the WDW shows which are basically geared to keep guests in a specific park until closing. Unfortunately, Anaheim thinks that limitations on time, budget and physical facilities prevented LuminAria from being that kind of draw. The future of the show is uncertain and it will be interesting to see if Fantasmic! returns early as has been rumored. There has yet to be any advertising for the show, but the joint Disneyland-DCA holiday ads have been running for some time out here.

The Disney characters in the park do work well, but it’s just an indication about how far off the mark the place started out. There were characters in the park to begin with – a climbing ivy performer and three blobs – that fit the “adults only” theme for DCA, but they’re gone now. The former Wolfgang Puck restaurant is about to reopen with a fixed price menu – soup/salad, entrée and desert for $20. It will be an interesting experiment in mid-priced dining.

P.S. – Some of the price increases have started to go into effect for people buying vacation packages starting January 7 and later.

Just got back from 4 full days and 2 half-days at the DLR. Spent almost half of that at DCA. Really enjoyed it, but I can definitely see it has less repeatability as Disneyland.

For those who dislike Superstar Limo, wanted to mention that my daughter, who had ridden it once during our trip in February, wanted to go again. TWICE.

Luminaria didn't impress me, but wasn't bad. It probably would have been better if I was in a better to view it, but I wanted to watch Eureka, and then we tried to grab some food before Luminaria started, so we were in a bad position. Did enjoy Eureka and the Electric parade.

Spent a bit more time in Animation this time. Pretty nice, but now that I've seen both shows, not as much of a draw. Finally got to see Golden Dreams - good, but probably won't see it again soon. Rode Soaring several times. Screamin' is a great coaster, but couldn't talk my boy into going on it, so only did it once.

Kids had fun at Redwood Creek and doing crafts in various areas and meeting characters. They loved Mullholland Madness (it was down last february). We also went to the Bread tour and the Tortilla factory several times - but just for the food.

The ivy tree is still in the park - saw it thursday or friday. Plus saw an orchid and another plant lady yesterday. Thought it was cool they tried to do some different things at DCA.

Im glad you had a good time disduck. I havent been to dl/dca yet but hope to go next december and found your comments about the parks very interesting.
I agree with AnotherVoice regarding EE. For some it may not matter but for someone who goes with a family of five about every other year EE is very important to ur family and our enjoyment of our disney part of the vacation. It costs usually at least $5,000 and usually more for are vacations and staying on site is a big part of the budget and EE is the main reason we do so and wont stay on site without it! It is truly magical to be their for EE and get to go on are favorite rides at MGM/MK with no wait. With reduced hours and no EE it would greatly take away from our vacation experience. Last time we stayed on site at universal and their FOTL( i realize not practical for wdw) was the best thing we experienced at any theme park. I just think with room occupancy way down at wdw that removing a valuable perk that isnt offered anywhere else is just dumb. If anything they should increase the perks for staying onsite as a promotion to increase the amount of people staying on site. With reduced hours EE would even be more of a valuable perk than it already is.

Just read the post regarding Pirates at DL. When on the Walk in Walt's footsteps tour, our guide talked about the storyline for Pirates, and it definitely makes more sense.

When you enter, you are in 'current' times. When you pass the old man sitting on his porch sleeping, he used to be a pirate. He is sleeping, and you are entering his dream. When you go down the 2 waterfalls, you are going deeper into his dream. When you ascend out of the ride on the conveyor, he is actually waking up, and returning to today.

Perhaps this will put some additional perspective on the theming.

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've checked the boards and I felt compelled to reply to this post.

My first visit was to WDW in 1995. Two years later I went to Disneyland for the first time.
Aside from the castle in disneyland being very small compared to WDW I was totally enthralled.
IMO the rides are all so much better. Spacemountain with a soundtrack. The real It's a Small World
where you can understand what they are singing. Mr. Toad. Snow White with it's minor differences.
The Matterhorn. The Original & better Fantasmic, sorry you didn't get to see the original as nothing
can match the sight of Peter Pan battling Capt. Hook in the rigging of the Columbia or the grand
entrance of the real Paddlewheeler with the characters aboard.
And Indy is the absolute best ride ever. Hope you got to do it more than once as it is a treat when
you notice the minor changes in each ride. Yeah there are a few lame rides too but I prefer my
memories of the better stuff. So I would have to say that WDW just whetted my appetite for the REAL &
original thing.
I've only been back to California once this past September but it was a thrill to re-experience the
west coast version & I'm planning to go back in April for the WDAC convention. It makes for a nice change
from WDW where I belong to DVC & am an AP holder.

Originally posted by SharonS
Just read the post regarding Pirates at DL. When on the Walk in Walt's footsteps tour, our guide talked about the storyline for Pirates, and it definitely makes more sense.

When you enter, you are in 'current' times. When you pass the old man sitting on his porch sleeping, he used to be a pirate. He is sleeping, and you are entering his dream. When you go down the 2 waterfalls, you are going deeper into his dream. When you ascend out of the ride on the conveyor, he is actually waking up, and returning to today.

Perhaps this will put some additional perspective on the theming.

Well, I like the idea of the dream part more than finding a cave in the LA bayou that leads to the carribean, because I get stuck on the idea that there aren't any caves anywhere near the LA bayou (I'd think you'd have to go N. at least to Shrieveport, more likely to Ark. or Mizzou), and there aren't any carribean islands with spanish forts and villages anywhere near the LA bayou either, for that matter (you'd have to go south and east a long ways; actually, I'd rather the cave already be in the carribean than in LA). But that's just my own problem of course.

Don't get me wrong, I liked parts of the story at disneyland better anyway. In the caves, you see the treasure, and the voiceover says something along the lines of "now that you know where the treasure be, (your in trouble)" and "dead men tell no tales" - it gave me a bit of a story for going into the rest of the ride. I just thought that there was too much of the caves - they seemed like they went on forever. And when you tie it into the first scene of the bayou (which unfortunately does remind me of rio del tiempo), along with the lack of theming in the entrance cue (Bang! you are just right up there with the boats as soon as you walk in the door, which is unsettling to me as I'm more used to the long walk way through the fortress), it just didn't work as well for me. I lost the story and the "magic" because my wondered because I was bored. I guess I should go to the imagination institute and get charged up :)

I think I like just starting in adventureland and going into the fortress and being already in the carribean, than having to tie it into NO square with the bayou scene (but I did enjoy eating at Blue Bayou fwiw). It's just a personal preference, and I can respect that the disneyland one is longer and has a more coherent story, I just don't prefer it.

But boy do I wish Jack Skellington would come to WDW's haunted mansion for the holidays!

DR

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter