Throwaway Room - Offsite to Onsite Stays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something to keep in mind! Thanks so much for all of your advice!
So I booked a room only reservation on one of their accounts for the same people on the package reservation. The reservation was for 2 days—-July 5-7 and the package is booked July 7-16. After making this room only reservation, I went in to check if the FP date had changed and it didn’t, so I cancelled the room only reservation. I am still finding this to be odd since last year we had this same scenario and it opened our FP window earlier. I decided rebooking everyone’s trip isn’t a good idea since we are booked on a BB offer with free dining. Am I doing something wrong?

So I booked a room only reservation on one of their accounts for the same people on the package reservation. The reservation was for 2 days—-July 5-7 and the package is booked July 7-16. After making this room only reservation, I went in to check if the FP date had changed and it didn’t, so I cancelled the room only reservation. I am still finding this to be odd since last year we had this same scenario and it opened our FP window earlier. I decided rebooking everyone’s trip isn’t a good idea since we are booked on a BB offer with free dining. Am I doing something wrong?
It takes more than a day for the onsite resort reservation to mesh with the FP program. You still have a few days before your window actually opens and it will open for Stay#1 and remain open until checkout date of Stay#2.

It takes more than a day for the onsite resort reservation to mesh with the FP program. You still have a few days before your window actually opens and it will open for Stay#1 and remain open until checkout date of Stay#2.

Last edited:
I need to better understand this. Lets say I book an offsite hotel stay 6/1-6/6. If I book a Ft. Wilderness room for 6/1 does that mean I only get to book FP+ for that day?

I need to better understand this. Lets say I book an offsite hotel stay 6/1-6/6. If I book a Ft. Wilderness room for 6/1 does that mean I only get to book FP+ for that day?
For 6/1 and 6/2 when the window opens. Then 60 days out from each remaining offsite days.

It’s all explained in the first post.

IS ANYONE HEARing this may not work anymore? I’m hearing of people not able to use the rolling 60 days

IS ANYONE HEARing this may not work anymore? I’m hearing of people not able to use the rolling 60 days
Only people who don’t understand the “rolling” window think it doesn’t work.

Guests with long stays of more than 2 weeks in length have a 74 day rolling window. Every onsite guest with stays of less than 2 weeks has a 60 day rolling window. And, every offsite guest has a rolling 30 day window.

I have, what seems like to me, a complicated question, but hoping it's really not! I booked a throwaway room 2 years ago for 1 night and everything worked like it was supposed to. It was great. Planned on doing it again for this year, but after DH checked there isn't a room for the date we need. There is a room for the next day, which would be day 2 in the parks for us. So here's the question. If I opted to book the room for that second day of parks, which is a Sunday...what would happen with fp's? This would completely screw up the first day, which is Saturday, of fp's right? I would be able to book Sunday and Monday's fp's at 60 and 60+1 days out and then the rest of the week's on a rolling 60...but what about Saturday's fp's??? Would I not be able to make them until 30 days out? Is it like that day isn't connected because it is BEFORE my onsite reservation? Or would I be able to do them on a rolling 60 when that kicks in for the other days? I have myself completely confused over this! It's not the optimal plan for that first day in the parks, but just wondering if anyone knows what will happen if we do book it this way??

One more question. Can you explain the 180 +10 dining reservation benefit to booking a throwaway room? Is this a benefit at all to someone who is only booking 1 night onsite? Thanks!

I would be able to book Sunday and Monday's fp's at 60 and 60+1 days out and then the rest of the week's on a rolling 60...but what about Saturday's fp's???
Saturday’s FPs are booked as soon as your 60-day window opens...the window includes all 60 days leading up to and including the length of your onsite stay.

For Dining questions, those can be posed on the Dining Board.

One more question. Can you explain the 180 +10 dining reservation benefit to booking a throwaway room? Is this a benefit at all to someone who is only booking 1 night onsite? Thanks!

Not much of a benefit. You only have a one day lead time on someone that doesn't have any onsite reservation. A throwaway is not worth it for dining.

I got a throwaway campsite for 10 in June. Then Shades of Green was included in the 60 day window. I kept the throwaway because I saved overall on 10 magic bands. Site was 81$ bands for 10 are 129.90$ plus tax. Also was able to link bands with tickets and Fast passes.

Not much of a benefit. You only have a one day lead time on someone that doesn't have any onsite reservation. A throwaway is not worth it for dining.
I wouldn't actually be getting the throwaway for the dining...we will have a throwaway for 1 night, just wondering if there is also any benefit with having the onsite room for 1 night. I normally book my dining 180 days in advance, each day...because of staying offsite. Will I be able to book any of my dining dates any further in advance having the 1 night onsite? Thanks! I'm not sure why this dining thing confuses me!

I wouldn't actually be getting the throwaway for the dining...we will have a throwaway for 1 night, just wondering if there is also any benefit with having the onsite room for 1 night. I normally book my dining 180 days in advance, each day...because of staying offsite. Will I be able to book any of my dining dates any further in advance having the 1 night onsite? Thanks! I'm not sure why this dining thing confuses me!

You can certainly book your check in and check out dates (180+1). I don’t think you can book 180+10 though.

You can certainly book your check in and check out dates (180+1). I don’t think you can book 180+10 though.

That is correct. The system is more like "180+X" every since they linked reservations into the dining system, where X is the number of days of your reservation (technically, the number of nights +1), and X is a max of 10. Days after your checkout day would need to be booked at the 180 mark.

I changed the date of my throwaway room reservation and ended up with a credit due to a price difference. This credit is applied to my hotel account. What does that mean? I'm having a brain fart and can't figure this out. :o How may I use this credit?

I changed the date of my throwaway room reservation and ended up with a credit due to a price difference. This credit is applied to my hotel account. What does that mean? I'm having a brain fart and can't figure this out. :o How may I use this credit?
Charge something to your room by using your MB for payment. It can be for the exact amount or if it’s over the credit amount, then you’ll have a charge to your linked credit card after your checkout day.

If get a throwaway room for the middle of your vacation (to take advantage of a specific day's EMH), assuming the Magic Bands we get will still work day one of your off site stay.

If get a throwaway room for the middle of your vacation (to take advantage of a specific day's EMH), assuming the Magic Bands we get will still work day one of your off site stay.

Yes...the magicbands can be used as soon as they are sent to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter