Throwaway Room - Offsite to Onsite Stays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Returned about a week ago from WDW. I know lots of people ask "is a throwaway worth it?" I just wanted to share my experience. I had a one night camp rental at $110. I was going to get magic bands for my party regardless. We were going to pay for parking regardless. I was able to cover 2 days of parking and the magic bands for about the same price. But I was also able to start my FP planning at 60 days and get FOP and 7DMT for each day we were in those parks. So for us yes it was worth it because WDW was going to get my money anyway and this just added value. I really appreciate all the tips, etc. learned on the Dis. It really helped us have a great trip!

Just fyi. I booked a throwaway campsite for 10 people at 81$. I didn't need 60 day window since Shades of Green is now eligible for early FP. But it saved me money on magic bands for 10.

Also my daughter and two grands will be able to use ME when they arrive at MCO and I will pick them up at campsite saving me gas, tolls, and time. I am driving down on 13. Throw a way and flight for others on th 18.

Your reading comprehension skills are excellent! :) Yes to all your questions. Happy planning! :goodvibes
I'd like to share my experience with a Throwaway room.

For me (just back) they worked great.

2 tent spots at Fort Wilderness ($95 after taxes) for 4 families (total of 19 people). We shared a 9-bedroom vacation home about 15 minutes west of Disney.

We were all planning only a few theme park days, so two days of parking, plus magic bands, plus 60-day Fast passes, plus access to an EMH morning at DHS made it all worth it.

No worries, no hassles and a great time.

I would highly recommend this for a short trip with a large group of people.

Thanks to this thread for the tips and suggestions.
I'd like to share my experience with a Throwaway room.

For me (just back) they worked great.

2 tent spots at Fort Wilderness ($95 after taxes) for 4 families (total of 19 people). We shared a 9-bedroom vacation home about 15 minutes west of Disney.

We were all planning only a few theme park days, so two days of parking, plus magic bands, plus 60-day Fast passes, plus access to an EMH morning at DHS made it all worth it.

No worries, no hassles and a great time.

I would highly recommend this for a short trip with a large group of people.

Thanks to this thread for the tips and suggestions.

I spent some time reading through the thread and I think I have the hang of things. I am going to book a throw away room for 4/19/19 via FW, but cheapest room is $175 followed by $235 at All Star value resort. Am I too late to get the great rates?

I spent some time reading through the thread and I think I have the hang of things. I am going to book a throw away room for 4/19/19 via FW, but cheapest room is $175 followed by $235 at All Star value resort. Am I too late to get the great rates?
oof. $175 for a FW campsite? That is a lot for a throwaway room.Have you done the math? Is it worth it?

What are you primarily getting it for? The Magic Bands? the 60 day fast passes?

oof. $175 for a FW campsite? That is a lot for a throwaway room.Have you done the math? Is it worth it?

What are you primarily getting it for? The Magic Bands? the 60 day fast passes?

Unfortunately it's not worth it at that rate, although I have some FP's I want to score for my 8 year old. After doing the math we will not do it. I am just shocked at how high the cost is for FW & ASM, but I'll keep checking.

Unfortunately it's not worth it at that rate, although I have some FP's I want to score for my 8 year old. After doing the math we will not do it. I am just shocked at how high the cost is for FW & ASM, but I'll keep checking.

Throwaway rooms/reservations are part of the reason the cost is so high. Anything that increases occupancy rates, also increases rates.

That is Easter week .. probably the most high demand time for WDW besides Christmas and Thanksgiving week.

Still over $200 for a value is insane, but with SWGE coming and the gondolas, I expect to see those prices easily at a Value like Pop Century.

Really, we only found the throwaway campsite worth it becuase we had 2 families (9 people) to take advantage of it. It was worth it for the parking savings for 2 days for 2 separate cars alone.

So I have a question that is probably answered somewhere in this 40+ page thread but I can't seem to find it.

I get the whole concept of the "rolling" 60 day FP+ after my throwaway night and understand that I can make FP+'s daily for the subsequent days based on the length of my park ticket. But do those days have to be consecutive?

For instance, throwaway night on 9/1 - can book FP+ for 9/1 and 9/2 60 days prior. Can then book FP+ for 9/3 60 days prior to 9/3 and so on. But what if I don't plan to go to park on 9/4. I resume booking FP+ for 9/5 60 days prior. If I have a 10 day ticket, can I only book out 10 consecutive days from my throwaway night or can I book out to a total of 10 days including some days when I intend to skip the parks?

Thanks.

Could you make a throwaway reservation for the length of your tickets, then at 60 days be able to make all your fp selections and then modify your reservation to just the 1 night you actually intend on paying for? That way you don't have to wait for the rolling 60 day mark for all your fp.

Could you make a throwaway reservation for the length of your tickets, then at 60 days be able to make all your fp selections and then modify your reservation to just the 1 night you actually intend on paying for? That way you don't have to wait for the rolling 60 day mark for all your fp.

This practice is HEAVILY frowned upon here and I would imagine that your post will not last long.

The allowable topics of this Throwaway concept are in the first post.

What you are asking is usually asked by posters using a new thread on the board and in not such a blatantly detailed manner. But yes, those who have onsite stays with extenuating circumstances that cause them to reduce their # of onsite days do in fact kept their pre-booked FPs intact.

Where did you see 2019 resort rates? I must of have missed them.

I'm thinking about doing a throwaway for the first time. I have a couple of questions though.

First (easier of the two), do you still get the rolling 60 day fast pass booking window for the length of your ticket? I was thinking this changed last year, but the OP still says that you do.

Second (more obscure), if I have a throwaway room and I bridge my tickets to APs in Disney Springs or at the resort, can I charge this to my MB? If so, does anyone know if all MB charges show up in the travel category on the Chase Sapphire Reserve, it would be nice to get triple points on the bridge costs. I know if you pay for it directly at guest services it shows up as a "Theme park" and you don't get triple points. Not worth a lot, but it helps justify the throwaway booking.

Third, can you get the same perks of the first two questions at one of the DS hotels?

I'm thinking about doing a throwaway for the first time. I have a couple of questions though.

First (easier of the two), do you still get the rolling 60 day fast pass booking window for the length of your ticket? I was thinking this changed last year, but the OP still says that you do.

Second (more obscure), if I have a throwaway room and I bridge my tickets to APs in Disney Springs or at the resort, can I charge this to my MB? If so, does anyone know if all MB charges show up in the travel category on the Chase Sapphire Reserve, it would be nice to get triple points on the bridge costs. I know if you pay for it directly at guest services it shows up as a "Theme park" and you don't get triple points. Not worth a lot, but it helps justify the throwaway booking.

Third, can you get the same perks of the first two questions at one of the DS hotels?

I can't answer your second question, but we are going mid-August and my FP window started last Weds. We are "staying" Monday night, and 60 days out from that Monday I could do FP for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (last Thursday). I could not do more FP until Saturday, when the daily rolling window opened. So far this is working like a charm.

And I have to say we are definitely coming out ahead after booking a campsite -- it was really cheap for us (I want to say $70ish, which is less than the two days of parking and four MBs we're getting, plus of course we get to enjoy the other perks), probably because most people don't want to camp in central Florida in mid-August.

I have just found this and was wondering - if I want to go to AK on Oct 24 - should I book one night on the 23rd for the possibly of the FP on the 23 or 24th?? Thanks

I have just found this and was wondering - if I want to go to AK on Oct 24 - should I book one night on the 23rd for the possibly of the FP on the 23 or 24th?? Thanks
Yes, book for the 23rd as that gives you the ability to book FPs for the 24th when your window opens.

As the title of the thread says in the instructions, I wont get into a debate of right or wrong, whether its taking a spot from someone else or not. I use this from time to time if resorts are sold out or the only thing left are resorts I dont want to pay for but Im on a short trip and want to take advantage of EMH hours. As long as I dont cancel the ressie and pay for the spot, if it makes more sense for me to do so from a financial standpoint, then Ill certainly consider it as an option. Im doing it in September and have done it on a couple of past shorter weekend trips. Normally Ill stay on property, but, sometimes it just doesnt fit with plans. This is absolutely an option to consider if someone wants to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter