Throwaway Room - Offsite to Onsite Stays

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand. Would starting a new topic on this matter be allowed or is it considered a major ‘taboo’ topic in any sub-forum?

I really am just trying to understand as I re-read Post #1 and it does not mention in the post that discussion of cancelling was not allowed.

Again apologies.

I just have a general question about the value of the 60 day booking window. My family is going down from July 15-Aug 15. My GF and I would join them on Aug 1st. We are currently staying off-site for the entirety of our trip. My GF and I are looking into booking a hotel room for one night during the trip to get the 60 day booking window. Do people find it worth it to book one day of on-site stay for roughly $143 ($98 after travel discount) jut to get the 60 day vs 30 day booking window? This would be at the All-Star Music. If we didn't care about the actual hotel would we get the same benefit booking the Campsites at Fort Wilderness? Thanks for your help.

Do people find it worth it to book one day of on-site stay for roughly $143 ($98 after travel discount) jut to get the 60 day vs 30 day booking window?
Some do.....some don’t.

If we didn't care about the actual hotel would we get the same benefit booking the Campsites at Fort Wilderness?
Yes.

There are more perks than just the 60-day booking window. This thread will have all the info you could possibly need to know about booking a throwaway onsite resort stay:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/throwaway-room-update.3539209/

So excited to have found this thread! We are going to the parks for 4 days in late November. Booked a campsite for the 2 nights bookending our park days - for ourselves, kids and our parents (you are allowed 10 guests per campsite).

Each night at the campsite was $74.00 (a little north of $150 with taxes). Since we have 2 vehicles between us and all parties get free parking, we will get 4 days of parking 2 vehicles for free ($160 total). So, we've paid for it right there with the free parking! Not to mention the 10 free Magicbands we will be getting ($130+ value) and the 60 day booking window plus Extra Magic Hours. WOOHOO!!!!!

I would just like to follow up on this to make sure I'm reading this correctly. We booked throwaway nights in August for our upcoming trip. We are a party of 9 and will be divided into three cars. Since all of us are linked on the throwaway, would all three cars get the free parking? If so, do they scan the band when we're at the ticket gate (so I can let the drivers know to make sure they have it on instead of waiting until we park). It's been 4 years since we used a throwaway and we physically checked in back then so when we mentioned we'd have two cars, they gave us two parking passes. This time, we're splitting into three cars because we plan on leaving the parks at different times. Thank you! :)

This is a great thread. Thanks to all you veterans helping out.

Question: If I understand, I need to checkin for EMH (but not parking and magic bands). I have heard of people having problems with online check in not working. Has anyone had that problem? Since I am hoping to use EMH on the first day of my throwaway room, I don't want to have to go to Fort Wilderness before going to the park.

Thanks to all for the great info here. I searched but did not find the answer to how the rolling window works for annual pass holders. Typically, I can make 7 days worth of FP+ using my annual pass. If I do a one night reservation as discussed here, will my annual pass be treated like a 7 day pass for FP+ rolling 60 day window purposes?

I would just like to follow up on this to make sure I'm reading this correctly. We booked throwaway nights in August for our upcoming trip. We are a party of 9 and will be divided into three cars. Since all of us are linked on the throwaway, would all three cars get the free parking? If so, do they scan the band when we're at the ticket gate (so I can let the drivers know to make sure they have it on instead of waiting until we park). It's been 4 years since we used a throwaway and we physically checked in back then so when we mentioned we'd have two cars, they gave us two parking passes. This time, we're splitting into three cars because we plan on leaving the parks at different times. Thank you! :)

This is a good question. I've definitely heard of them allowing 2 vehicles free parking, but not sure about 3. In my mind, it would make sense that any driver who has a magic band linked to your campsite reservation should get into the parking lots for free. @hiroMYhero do you know the answer to this?

This is a good question. I've definitely heard of them allowing 2 vehicles free parking, but not sure about 3. In my mind, it would make sense that any driver who has a magic band linked to your campsite reservation should get into the parking lots for free. @hiroMYhero do you know the answer to this?
Yes. I replied in the post above yours. :) Anyone with an active onsite reservation, even on checkout day, are allowed to park without a parking fee.

Yes.

No; complete online check-in.

It’s not treated like a 7-day Ticket. Your AP has a 7 day max for pre-booked FPs when offsite. Use a day then add another day.
How early can you check in online? If we do this, our first day has morning EMH at AK and I'd like to take advantage. Thanks.

You can check-in up to 60 days ahead of your arrival. Choose the earliest arrival time - 6:30a.
Hmm... I selected a "normal" check in time of 4PM. Because I was thinking if I'm going to a park first, I won't "check in" until later. Will that cause a problem with parking?

Yes.

No; complete online check-in.

It’s not treated like a 7-day Ticket. Your AP has a 7 day max for pre-booked FPs when offsite. Use a day then add another day.

So to clarify, an AP holder with a throwaway room can book 60 days out from check-in and then book FPs every day after that for up to 7 days?

So to clarify, an AP holder with a throwaway room can book 60 days out from check-in and then book FPs every day after that for up to 7 days?
It follows the same set-up as an onsite Split Stay moving to an offsite stay.

The OP of this thread has the rolling window description and Split Stays are explained in the Split Stay section of the FP FAQ. APs have a max of 7 days of booked FPs unless they have an “all onsite” stay.

Got something of a complicated question here. Eh, maybe it's not very complicated at all, and I just don't understand things well. I searched through this thread about 5 pages from the start and about the last three pages looking for an answer but eventually my eyes got tired, so here we are!

We will likely be using rented points for a vacation in the near future. So, EMH, 60 day FP windows, parking, and all that aren't really of interest to me as we will already have those perks. What DOES interest me, however, would be taking advantage of free dinning...which is never an option with DVC stays.

We have a fairly large group going (11 adults and 5 kids), and so for all of us to get the quick service dinning plan for 5 nights it would be roughly $3,400--not a small chunk of change. If, however, we were able to book our DVC while free dinning was being offered and book 4 all star rooms at around $127/night, those rooms would cost about $2,540 and come with quick service dinning saving us nearly $1000 less than the $3,400 we would have spent on an outright dinning plan.

My question then, can I book those All-Star rooms as throwaway rooms solely for the dinning? Are there any glaring lapses in my logic that I'm missing? Does anyone have experience with this arrangement?

My question then, can I book those All-Star rooms as throwaway rooms solely for the dinning? Are there any glaring lapses in my logic that I'm missing? Does anyone have experience with this arrangement?
I believe this has been discussed on the DVC board where what you described is acceptable because you are fully paying and keeping the All-Star rooms.

You may want to ask if the QS Dining Plan is worth it...over on the Restaurant Board Dining Plan subforum.

This thread is for describing the Split Stay aspect of an onsite reservation moving to an offsite reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter