Timing Question

bennifer

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I'm planning a June trip to San Fran/Yosemite/PCH to either LA or San Diego for myself, DH and DS(11) Our first day, we land in San Jose at 10:15. We don't have a lot of time in SF because DH travels there for work quite a bit and he doesn't really have a loving relationship with it, but I've never been. The plan is to get to Fisherman's Wharf, go to Alcatraz, see the Golden Gate bridge and ride a cable car. Day 2 we'll be up early (I'm assuming because we're from the PA) and driving to Yosemite. Should we have enough time for those 3 things in SF? It will be a Tue, if that makes a difference.

You could do all that in San Francisco in a single afternoon. The difficulty would be Alcatraz since that requires reservations typically, unless it's an off day. It would also take a couple of hours because you'll need to take the ferry and spend time inside. The docks are now well out of Fishermans Wharf when they were at Piece 43-1/2 over a decade ago.

For the Golden Gate Bridge I'd recommend Conzelman Road in the Marin Headlands. That has great views of the bridge.

The other issue would be how to pay for the Golden Gate Bridge toll if you're returning to San Francisco after they went cashless. You'll either need a FasTrak toll transponder or pay for it through a license plate account. Your husband might be more familiar with this, although maybe he never really cared.

You could do all that in San Francisco in a single afternoon. The difficulty would be Alcatraz since that requires reservations typically, unless it's an off day. It would also take a couple of hours because you'll need to take the ferry and spend time inside. The docks are now well out of Fishermans Wharf when they were at Piece 43-1/2 over a decade ago.

For the Golden Gate Bridge I'd recommend Conzelman Road in the Marin Headlands. That has great views of the bridge.

The other issue would be how to pay for the Golden Gate Bridge toll if you're returning to San Francisco after they went cashless. You'll either need a FasTrak toll transponder or pay for it through a license plate account. Your husband might be more familiar with this, although maybe he never really cared.
Thank you! I was worried about Alcatraz...and I had no idea where the docks were. I was trying to decide if I needed to do the early bird ferry before we left for Yosemite, but I really don't want to do that. It's the highlight of SF for DS, so I want to make sure we have time. Maybe I should book the last ferry time in the afternoon.

Thank you also for the recommendation of Conzelman Road. I'll definitely look at that. And as far as the toll, I'll bet he has no idea. He usually uses Uber and doesn't do much sightseeing...which may be why he doesn't love it. Maybe I can change his mind! ;)

Thank you! I was worried about Alcatraz...and I had no idea where the docks were. I was trying to decide if I needed to do the early bird ferry before we left for Yosemite, but I really don't want to do that. It's the highlight of SF for DS, so I want to make sure we have time. Maybe I should book the last ferry time in the afternoon.

Thank you also for the recommendation of Conzelman Road. I'll definitely look at that. And as far as the toll, I'll bet he has no idea. He usually uses Uber and doesn't do much sightseeing...which may be why he doesn't love it. Maybe I can change his mind! ;)

It’s been a while since I’ve been there, but I looked it up and it’s at Pier 33. Parking is going to be tough since you can’t just park at a meter. You can return at any time, but I’d say it would take two hours minimum.

I don’t know how to describe Conzelman Road other than posting a photo of the view from an overlook. It’s also a spectacular drive that becomes one way towards the west. There’s also the Marine Mammal Center, which is free and has several exhibits and a gift shop.

caggbr102-1920.jpg

I don’t really know much about the Golden Gate Bridge tolling since I have FasTrak already and it’s no different for me than crossing another bridge. I usually cross it in the non toll direction.

https://www.goldengate.org/bridge/tolls-payment/toll-payment-options/

Just to add, there are a few blocks in the area near Pier 33 where parking is free and unlimited except maybe for street sweeping. It’s going to tough finding one though.

Hmmmmm. I’m not sure what hotel we’re staying at yet, but maybe we’ll park there (I’m sure there will be a fee) and Uber to Pier 33. Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Hmmmmm. I’m not sure what hotel we’re staying at yet, but maybe we’ll park there (I’m sure there will be a fee) and Uber to Pier 33. Thank you so much for your help!!!!
It’s a reasonable walking distance from Fishermans Wharf. However, the Alcatraz ferries book quickly and you’ll need to pick a time. I think they’re pretty good about no shows. No shows allow for standby, and the previous no shows are accommodated standby on the next ferry.

If your flight arrives at SJC at 10:15 I think you might be able to get to San Francisco by 12:30. The rental car center is on site in the garage so no shuttles. There’s no traffic (barring accidents) mid day.

First thing in the morning to Yosemite shouldn’t be too bad. It’s the reverse commute. You’ll probably be taking the Bay Bridge then 580 to Manteca and then 120 to the Big Oak Flat entrance. The tricky part is navigating through Oakdale, although using GPS would make it easier.

It’s a reasonable walking distance from Fishermans Wharf. However, the Alcatraz ferries book quickly and you’ll need to pick a time. I think they’re pretty good about no shows. No shows allow for standby, and the previous no shows are accommodated standby on the next ferry.

If your flight arrives at SJC at 10:15 I think you might be able to get to San Francisco by 12:30. The rental car center is on site in the garage so no shuttles. There’s no traffic (barring accidents) mid day.

First thing in the morning to Yosemite shouldn’t be too bad. It’s the reverse commute. You’ll probably be taking the Bay Bridge then 580 to Manteca and then 120 to the Big Oak Flat entrance. The tricky part is navigating through Oakdale, although using GPS would make it easier.
Seriously, you’re a wealth of knowledge! Thank you! I was looking at the times and I think 2:10 is our best option for Alcatraz. Or maybe 1:30...
😂 I don’t have to make that decision today, thank goodness!

That’s awesome to hear about going to Yosemite. I know we’ll be in traffic and we have no illusions of us just driving easily and quickly out! But having someone local tell us that is shouldn’t be too bad makes me feel better.

Seriously, you’re a wealth of knowledge! Thank you! I was looking at the times and I think 2:10 is our best option for Alcatraz. Or maybe 1:30...
😂 I don’t have to make that decision today, thank goodness!

That’s awesome to hear about going to Yosemite. I know we’ll be in traffic and we have no illusions of us just driving easily and quickly out! But having someone local tell us that is shouldn’t be too bad makes me feel better.

I haven't done the Alcatraz trip in a while, but I've had so many people ask about that stuff. I think if you would ask most local, they will say they've never been to Alcatraz. I've never rented at car at SJC, but I have flown in/out of it and know the general layout.

I know the road to Yosemite. 120 is the fastest way from San Francisco, although 140 might be more picturesque.

I haven't done the Alcatraz trip in a while, but I've had so many people ask about that stuff. I think if you would ask most local, they will say they've never been to Alcatraz. I've never rented at car at SJC, but I have flown in/out of it and know the general layout.

I know the road to Yosemite. 120 is the fastest way from San Francisco, although 140 might be more picturesque.
I think we’ll do 120 to Yosemite. When we leave we’re going to Monterey for a couple nights before we drive south, so I think 140 will be better for that leg!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!